BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

News From Other Leagues

This might have been discussed elsewhere as it happened early this month, but Mark Hughes' sacking at Bradford City has got me thinking. I haven't followed his career much since his Rovers/Man City days but I do wonder how his career seems to have faded somewhat - though, he's had some huge jobs, prestigious clubs and will get new offers, no doubt, so he hasn't done badly at all.

It does seem, not knowing the facts or context, that he took a risk by taking the Bradford job. With Championship roles coming up frequently, he could have, I guess, joined the Pulis/Warnock/McCarthy/Allardyce merry-go-round and come and gone with a few more jobs. Perhaps, he just wanted a new challenge. Would be interested to know from anyone who might have followed his career a bit more closely.

I do wonder, also, whether managers can suffer the same confidence loss fate as players. Perhaps, the moment you start questioning yourself in such a role, things change. Also, I suppose, there's a big difference between managing a team with elite talent, compared to lower down the leagues.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

Although the Newcastle fans didn't like him, he had the club running well within the realms of FFP and the like. That's how Newcastle have been able to drop big money since the genocidal war criminals took over.

Between Ashley and venkys it's Ashley every single time. Venkys are the only owners I can think of that deliberately relegated a club from the premier league and have made absolutely no attempt ever to get them back there. In fact, they've done the opposite, numerous times.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Penwortham Blue said:

Probably not the right thread but see Jack Vale was on the bench for Lincoln and they lost at home against Morecambe. Don’t think he is making the team and hasn’t scored as yet and so difficult to see him making the grade.

Vale joined Lincoln whilst injured, and was not fit until the middle or end of October, has since played a couple of games off the bench and impressed (check Lincolns forum, their fans really rate him), Vale started their last league game against Oxford (the 2nd placed team in the division) and was rested for the cup game (although did come off the bench) yesterday as he is still being nursed back to fitness after missing the best part of the past 3 months with injury.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jack-vale/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/496660/plus/0?saison=2023&verein=&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=

Edited by KentExile

When people think of competent managers they think of Warnock, Hodgson, Steve Cooper, etc. But I reckon Lee Johnson is another one.

When he was at Bristol City I always fancied him coming to the Rovers. He seemed to do a good job there. Now watch Fleetwood Town climb up the league. He seems to be a chap with no airs and graces. He isn't a bighead like Mourinho. I think he's just a good manager who enjoys a challenge. If and when JDT leaves us we could do worse than appoint him.

15 minutes ago, bazza said:

When people think of competent managers they think of Warnock, Hodgson, Steve Cooper, etc. But I reckon Lee Johnson is another one.

When he was at Bristol City I always fancied him coming to the Rovers. He seemed to do a good job there. Now watch Fleetwood Town climb up the league. He seems to be a chap with no airs and graces. He isn't a bighead like Mourinho. I think he's just a good manager who enjoys a challenge. If and when JDT leaves us we could do worse than appoint him.

he`s had the sack more times than a father christmas  in january

4 hours ago, bazza said:

I'm sure we'll do a lot worse in reality.

• Like 1

On 08/11/2023 at 23:39, bazza said:

I see Craig Short is caretaker manager of Oxford Utd since Liam Manning left them to join Bristol City. Doubt if he'll get the permanent job.

Random talking point... but from the starting line-up that won us the Worthington Cup in 2001, I make it that the players not to go into management are Martin Taylor, Keith Gillespie and Andy Cole. Though, Cole has done some coaching.

We also beat Barcelona in a friendly that year, with their team including the likes of Kluivert, Geovanni, Overmars, Xavi and Puyol. Those were the days.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Random talking point... but from the starting line-up that won us the Worthington Cup in 2001, I make it that the players not to go into management are Martin Taylor, Keith Gillespie and Andy Cole. Though, Cole has done some coaching.

We also beat Barcelona in a friendly that year, with their team including the likes of Kluivert, Geovanni, Overmars, Xavi and Puyol. Those were the days.

Where would we be without venkys eh...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Backroom

Michael Appleton sacked at Charlton

10 games without a win, Tayo Edun got sent off tonight as they got beat, seems fans suggest it was harsh but are actually thanking him for helping get rid of the manager!

Four points from the League 1 relegation zone. They had years in the PL, good fanbase, nice ground but they’ve not had a sniff of coming back to the Championship for years.

We are more likely to go that way than a repeat of 2018 if we end up back there.