BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Bumley in purgatory

On 21/09/2021 at 14:32, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Would swap places with Burnley in a heartbeat...financially stable,owners who are pro-active with the fans and a Manager who appears to get the best out of a limited side.

Never thought I'd ever say that.

I think you're giving them too much credit. They look a mess at the moment, on and off the pitch.

• Like 1

If Burnley are in purgatory, then Rovers are dreaming of it. Rovers aspiration, as I see it, get back into the Premier League and, soon, almost inevitably get relegated and sell the best performer and go again. With time, we might find our own Dyche or, perhaps, Graham Potter to try and stabilise as a lower league Prem team - or, replicate Norwich and Fulham as a yo-yo club between Prem and Championship. (This is a dream and under the current management and the exodus of players likely to occur in 2022, going the other way seems more likely).

Given the investment in the Premier League by venture capitalists and oligarchs, including in non-Champions League clubs, it has become even harder for new clubs to establish themselves. Arguably, Norwich resigned themselves to relegation before the season started when they sold star midfielder, Buendia, to Villa. Imagine if, after our promotion in 2001, we sold Damien Duff before kicking a ball in the Premier League? We finished 10th and 6th in our first two seasons back in the Premier League, under Souness, with Duff our top scorer when we qualified for Europe. I vaguely recall a newly promoted Ipswich Town, with striker, Marcus Stewart, finishing around 6th, 7th, in their first season in the league. I think the financial gap is too big for that to happen much now.

Edit: Newly promoted Ipswich Town finished 5th in the Premiership in 2000/2001, the year Rovers were promoted from the Championship/Div 1.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

Looks like a few people on here have missed the memo about Burnley's current turmoil.

New owners saddling the club with debt.

Spent a decent amount of transfer money for Burnley, but still can't keep up with the rest and still aren't filling their 21,000 seats.

Fans think in January they are going to throw money at the club. Where's that coming from?

Second from bottom and looking goal shy.

Big challenge for Dyche.

I think they'll hang on this year as there's some poor clubs down the bottom. Dyche being the deciding factor.

20 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They're going down this year, aren't they?

1 draw and 4 losses to start the season. Ominous times. 

I think they had a bad start last year if memory serves me right, but hung on. Maybe it's time I started betting on Burnley to win, that should open the trap door far enough for them to fall through😂

Without the takeover, I’d agree. 

However, after they were sold last year they are now owned by US private equity, who bought them using debt secured on the club, and they purely own businesses to use as a profit vehicle.

They stay up, the money continues to pour in, whilst keeping a tight ship, the model can work, they go down and there is a big hole in that plan… 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They surely have money put away? They have maintained a good Championship squad whilst receiving huge amounts of TV revenue. 

If they do go down and Dyche stays, they will walk the Championship the following season, calling it now 

Have a read of this.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/02/burnley-us-takeover-has-left-club-90m-worse-off-and-loaded-with-debt

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

They surely have money put away? They have maintained a good Championship squad whilst receiving huge amounts of TV revenue. 

If they do go down and Dyche stays, they will walk the Championship the following season, calling it now 

From a friend of a friend who's seen their accounts - I think everyone they've owed money to over the years has had their pound of flesh. I don't think they had much left to put away - and obviously this new ownership deal has them over a barrel financially. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The £40m they had put away was paid out as a dividend to the previous directors as part of the sales price. The previous directors got their £135m and now Burnley are £90m+ in debt to MJD who also funded £60m into Derby. MJD will be ruthless to secure their funds back so should be fun when they do get relegated.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, phili said:

The £40m they had put away was paid out as a dividend to the previous directors as part of the sales price. The previous directors got their £135m and now Burnley are £90m+ in debt to MJD who also funded £60m into Derby. MJD will be ruthless to secure their funds back so should be fun when they do get relegated.

That’s a terrible deal any way you look at it. I saw an article that said once Pace has got his investment back he’ll plow some of his own fortune into the club. No idea how that’s going to happen.

1 hour ago, booth said:

That’s a terrible deal any way you look at it. I saw an article that said once Pace has got his investment back he’ll plow some of his own fortune into the club. No idea how that’s going to happen.

Don't forget MJD are charging Burnley 12% interest! An utter disgrace and should not be allowed.

I know its Burnley but  and hard to feel sympathy but our football clubs shouldn't be exploited in this way.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, booth said:

I read that a while ago and my thoughts on it are, that the two big shareholders, have stuffed the club big time. I think relegation is coming and see a mass sale of players, when that happens.

As for the salt and chips comment, he has a point, but just the one.

21 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We had loads of money - and the new owners used it to buy the club. Thye put around 15 million of their own money in, somewhere around 60 million of the clubs money and borrowed the rest.

2 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

We had loads of money - and the new owners used it to buy the club. Thye put around 15 million of their own money in, somewhere around 60 million of the clubs money and borrowed the rest.

My condolences. One thing I’ll give Burnley credit for, creaky seats aside, they were well ran and a very relaxed club. People buying clubs in this manner shouldn’t be allowed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, booth said:

My condolences. One thing I’ll give Burnley credit for, creaky seats aside, they were well ran and a very relaxed club. People buying clubs in this manner shouldn’t be allowed.

Absolutely, how can that even be allowed to happen? How can you buy a football club using the football clubs money? It could really go tits up for Burnley. In fact its probably quite likely at some point in the next few years. As fans of this club we know what that feels like. 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Someone mentioned different rules for us plebs - outside of Burnley noone will care over much if the carcass is discarded once the money men have had their feed - just as they didn't with Bury, Bolton and all the rest. Don't worry I don't expect sympathy on here but football in this country was built upon the foundation of lots of "town" teams and the money from the pockets of hard working families. Our pyramid and its strength in depth is what made our football, for me, the most exciting to watch. Maybe not the technical best but usually the most enthralling. It's all a bit stale now for me. I'm actually contemplating giving up the season ticket and taking in more non league games at Nelson or Colne with just the odd game at the turf or even away from home.

I think there is sympathy on here for that and plenty of agreement too.

What you have mentioned there about what happens when the money men have had there feed, in a bizarre way applies to us too. Although to those on the outside, we have rich owners, who fund the club, the real villain, sailed off into the sunset with his son, many moons ago. So far as I know he announced his retirement too, so perhaps his last feed, allowed him to hibernate with a full belly, for the rest of his life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

And now want you to pay the rest. The word for it is racketeering! 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

It’s a difficult one with Burnley, I’ve a lot of mates that support them and some of their fans are absolutely obsessed with us and were quick to dance on our grave and enjoy every second of our demise, so, for me, those fans can go fornicate themselves.

With that being said, I wouldn’t want fans of any football club to suffer fundamentally, as we are all football fans, we just follow different teams.

• Like 7