BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

On 18/12/2021 at 20:11, longsiders1882 said:

My worry now is we are missing playing teams ‘around us’ who could well strengthen in January - and we don’t have the money. We could even be weakened by approaches from money bags Newcastle.

Not sure we will play now until Leeds on the 3rd of Jan.

Its very fair point that teams will strengthen around you. I suspect Newcastle will invested and sign 4 or 5 better quality players in January, Expect Watford and Leeds will add a couple of players. 

But will Burnley do the same tho? 

Did you heard your Chairman on Radio Lancs last week on his first year at the club? if so what did you think?

18 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its very fair point that teams will strengthen around you. I suspect Newcastle will invested and sign 4 or 5 better quality players in January, Expect Watford and Leeds will add a couple of players. 

But will Burnley do the same tho? 

Did you heard your Chairman on Radio Lancs last week on his first year at the club? if so what did you think?

Haven’t heard it so can’t comment sorry. Will we add? Just not sure, I doubt it but that won’t stop me hoping.

1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

You have to ask Longsiders....just where the hell has all your premier league money gone?

Well in fairness a lot has gone on wages and fees - we don’t have huge commercial revenues outside the TV money. A lot spent on Gawthorpe and ground improvements, stuff for the TV, new media centre, new disabled stands both built in the corners. Covid cost a bit and then a big chunk (figures are sketchy but at least 50 and up to 80 million) was used to ‘buy’ the club. The sale was a cute way for the owners to take out a massive amount of cash without taking it out - clever sleight of hand avoided the fans getting on their backs. I’m still not sure most of the fans have even joined the dots on that one.

Edited by longsiders1882

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fair enough pal. 

Are you worry that if you don't add signings then you will facing relegation this season?

We are already well and truly in a relegation scrap - only by the good grace of Norwich and Newcastle being so consistent in their sh*tness with Watford and Leeds seemingly determined to keep us in touch with the rest of the table  we’d be in much worse trouble. 

We need goals but where would we find a striker in our price range in January? I’m hoping we could bring some midfield creativity in and Chris Wood finds his shooting boots. Be annoying to go down the year you go up - though it could extend the unbeaten streak 😬

20 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

We are already well and truly in a relegation scrap - only by the good grace of Norwich and Newcastle being so consistent in their sh*tness with Watford and Leeds seemingly determined to keep us in touch with the rest of the table  we’d be in much worse trouble. 

Its like 3 from 6 clubs in my opinion. Those clubs being Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley, Watford, Leeds and Southampton. I think alot hinges on the impact of the Transfer window and how clubs recruit then. I expect Newcastle will sign 4 or 5 players, Watford a couple of signings, Leeds maybe 1 or 2 

21 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

We need goals but where would we find a striker in our price range in January? I’m hoping we could bring some midfield creativity in and Chris Wood finds his shooting boots.

Guess it depends on your budget. There is some good players out there you should be able to afford. I don't know much about the scouting you do or where or how much Mike Rigg is involved in your scouting, recruitment and transfers decisions. Maybe look at someone like Woodrow from Barnsley or Dike who was on loan at Barnsley last season from a MLS club or Luton striker Elijah Anuoluwapo Adebayo or PNE striker Emil Riis Jakobsen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its like 3 from 6 clubs in my opinion. Those clubs being Norwich, Newcastle, Burnley, Watford, Leeds and Southampton. I think alot hinges on the impact of the Transfer window and how clubs recruit then. I expect Newcastle will sign 4 or 5 players, Watford a couple of signings, Leeds maybe 1 or 2 

Guess it depends on your budget. There is some good players out there you should be able to afford. I don't know much about the scouting you do or where or how much Mike Rigg is involved in your scouting, recruitment and transfers decisions. Maybe look at someone like Woodrow from Barnsley or Dike who was on loan at Barnsley last season from a MLS club or Luton striker Elijah Anuoluwapo Adebayo or PNE striker Emil Riis Jakobsen

I’ve no doubt Newcastle will sign players - whether they can get the quality AND blend them quickly enough I’m not so sure. Money talks but it might also just get you mercenaries with no real stomach for the fight.

I’ve never been that convinced by big January splurges. I have no stats to back it up but it feels to me like it rarely has the impact you hope. One or 2 astute signings better than 4 or 5 (basically half a team). At the moment I don’t see us pulling away from the bottom so we will be around the bottom 3 until the end of the season - the only question is whether we are in the bottom three at the end 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I’ve no doubt Newcastle will sign players - whether they can get the quality AND blend them quickly enough I’m not so sure. Money talks but it might also just get you mercenaries with no real stomach for the fight.

I’ve never been that convinced by big January splurges. I have no stats to back it up but it feels to me like it rarely has the impact you hope. One or 2 astute signings better than 4 or 5 (basically half a team). At the moment I don’t see us pulling away from the bottom so we will be around the bottom 3 until the end of the season - the only question is whether we are in the bottom three at the end 🤷‍♂️

Newcastle need more than 2 new signings.

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

I believe Newcastle are chasing Tripper and Lingard who would be very good signings. 

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

Newcastle need 4 or 5 signings cos the weaknesses within the squad. 

Burnley need to be looking to a couple of players to sign. What did you think of my signings suggestions?

12 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

😬

Interesting and accurate points longsiders 1882. In fact only last week I expressed an identical point of view on this very thread when I wrote:

"I think Burnley can count themselves extremely lucky that there are so many dire teams around them at the moment. They can't buy a win at the present time yet the awful form of the likes of Newcastle Norwich and Watford means they haven't been cut adrift at the bottom of the league which they ordinarily might have been.I can easily see Southampton and Leeds being dragged right down into the bottom six which gives lucky Burnley greater odds of somehow scraping enough points"

I think anyone would agree that we are making the same point but you replied that my point of view was "rubbish". 

I am happy to overlook your rather curt reply in this season of goodwill. I know it's a worrying time over there at present.

9 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I believe Newcastle are chasing Tripper and Lingard who would be very good signings. 

Newcastle need 4 or 5 signings cos the weaknesses within the squad. 

Burnley need to be looking to a couple of players to sign. What did you think of my signings suggestions?

I don’t know enough about them to express a view to be honest. I hardly watch any football at the moment, I’m not loving the game quite as I once did. 

12 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Interesting and accurate points longsiders 1882. In fact only last week I expressed an identical point of view on this very thread when I wrote:

"I think Burnley can count themselves extremely lucky that there are so many dire teams around them at the moment. They can't buy a win at the present time yet the awful form of the likes of Newcastle Norwich and Watford means they haven't been cut adrift at the bottom of the league which they ordinarily might have been.I can easily see Southampton and Leeds being dragged right down into the bottom six which gives lucky Burnley greater odds of somehow scraping enough points"

I think anyone would agree that we are making the same point but you replied that my point of view was "rubbish". 

I am happy to overlook your rather curt reply in this season of goodwill. I know it's a worrying time over there at present.

No what I said was it is rubbish that it is luck, that over a season you end up where you deserve to be - and I stand by that. Regardless of what other teams are doing if we don’t get results we go down - and that isn’t bad luck but what we’ve earned. Likewise if we get the results to pull ourselves out of the bottom three come the end of the season then we’ve earned it, not been lucky. Have Leeds been unlucky? Have Watford? Have Norwich? No, luck plays a part in individual games but not over the course of a 38 (or 46 game) season. That was my point and my objection was to the suggestion teams were ‘lucky’ or ‘unlucky’ to be relegated or indeed be champions. 

Oh dear! No, what you did was misinterpret my point . My phrase was that Burnley are lucky that other teams are rubbish otherwise they would be cut adrift. Your phrase was that only by the good grace of Newcastle etc being so poor are Burnley not cut adrift.

It's an identical point of view, expressed differently. Read both quotes back to back. They make the same point exactly. The word luck means the same to me as your phrase good grace means to you. No difference

Let's agree that I won't be pedantic on your use of the phrase good grace and you won't be pedantic on my use of the word luck. 😉 

Seasons greetings!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

Oh dear! No, what you did was misinterpret my point . My phrase was that Burnley are lucky that other teams are rubbish otherwise they would be cut adrift. Your phrase was that only by the good grace of Newcastle etc being so poor are Burnley not cut adrift.

It's an identical point of view, expressed differently. Read both quotes back to back. They make the same point exactly. The word luck means the same to me as your phrase good grace means to you. No difference

Let's agree that I won't be pedantic on your use of the phrase good grace and you won't be pedantic on my use of the word luck. 😉 

Seasons greetings!

Indeed - merry Christmas and happy new year to you and yours.

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Fair enough..

Here one for you to listen to. 

Cheers Chaddy - I’ll have a listen today.

• Like 1

23% of Prem players not fully vaccinated

The above article states that only 77% of Premier League players are considered as being fully vaccinated (2 shots), with 16% not even having 1 dose. 

I don't think that games should be called off due to positive Covid cases. If a team has to play a few u-16's then that's what they have to do.

Those unvaccinated players should be made fully aware that their livelihood, and the prospects of their team, are being damaged by their actions. I'm pretty clear on my advocacy for Covid vaccinations, I can't understand why players wouldn't get it, although it makes sense if they've been sucked into the vaccine conspiracy theory zone.

Reports yesterday suggest that there are going to be rules introduced for unvaccinated players (coach travel, eating etc.) in order to minimise their contact with others. Will it work?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

23% of Prem players not fully vaccinated

The above article states that only 77% of Premier League players are considered as being fully vaccinated (2 shots), with 16% not even having 1 dose. 

I don't think that games should be called off due to positive Covid cases. If a team has to play a few u-16's then that's what they have to do.

Those unvaccinated players should be made fully aware that their livelihood, and the prospects of their team, are being damaged by their actions. I'm pretty clear on my advocacy for Covid vaccinations, I can't understand why players wouldn't get it, although it makes sense if they've been sucked into the vaccine conspiracy theory zone.

Reports yesterday suggest that there are going to be rules introduced for unvaccinated players (coach travel, eating etc.) in order to minimise their contact with others. Will it work?

Looking at the rules mentioned yesterday I’m struggling to understand how we had games against Watford and Villa called off.

Whilst I’m an advocate for the vaccine I definitely believe in a free choice - however free choice comes with consequences. I bet these players have had vaccinations to travel etc but let’s be honest, they are not noted for their intellect and radicalisation via the web and social media is potent and quick. I now understand how people do become radicalised, it’s actually quite frightening how easy it can be. Prior to this and Brexit I was always skeptical about people claiming they’d been radicalised, not anymore.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Looking at the rules mentioned yesterday I’m struggling to understand how we had games against Watford and Villa called off.

Whilst I’m an advocate for the vaccine I definitely believe in a free choice - however free choice comes with consequences. I bet these players have had vaccinations to travel etc but let’s be honest, they are not noted for their intellect and radicalisation via the web and social media is potent and quick. I now understand how people do become radicalised, it’s actually quite frightening how easy it can be. Prior to this and Brexit I was always skeptical about people claiming they’d been radicalised, not anymore.

It absolutely baffles me. 

I also struggle to understand why the Premier League hasn't been stricter.

The NFL has almost all players vaccinated. That league knows where its bread is buttered - TV and advertising revenue so are doing all they can to make sure that games won't get called off due to Covid case increases. 

Latest NFL Covid rules

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It absolutely baffles me. 

I also struggle to understand why the Premier League hasn't been stricter.

The NFL has almost all players vaccinated. That league knows where its bread is buttered - TV and advertising revenue so are doing all they can to make sure that games won't get called off due to Covid case increases. 

Latest NFL Covid rules

The whole nations approach baffles me - people preferring to believe in Matt Le Tissiers take on science rather than some of the worlds leading virologists. I guess Brexit set the bar with Goves ‘we’ve all had enough of experts’ - but it still baffles me.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

The whole nations approach baffles me - people preferring to believe in Matt Le Tissiers take on science rather than some of the worlds leading virologists. I guess Brexit set the bar with Goves ‘we’ve all had enough of experts’ - but it still baffles me.

These days someone's followers seems to donate their expertise, the Internet has caused many an issue.

• Like 1

Burnley v Everton is now off 24 hours after a request by Everton to call it off was overturned. Does Boris run the PL?

Burnley are now four games behind their schedule and with a relatively small squad it will really hamper them.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I’d be really annoyed if I was a dingle especially as it’s been called off due to Covid cases and ‘injuries’

Feels like this can be exploited easily now if a few key players are out 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

I’d be really annoyed if I was a dingle especially as it’s been called off due to Covid cases and ‘injuries’

Feels like this can be exploited easily now if a few key players are out 

Could the PL not just say. Yes we are postponing the game, but the players that are not available due to injury, are not eligible for when the game is actually played. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 3