BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

On 08/12/2021 at 19:45, longsiders1882 said:

They don’t have money - not real money in. The sense of Abramovich, the Saudi’s - even the Venky’s.

Wealthy beyond my wildest dreams but not in football terms. They are VC’s so will have a risk appetite and may borrow more to bolster in January and try to stay up - though I’m not convinced desperate buys in January are always such a good thing.

thanks for the reply, it will be interesting time for your owners and Dyche to what they do in January and whether you sell one of 2 players to bring in a couple. 

How many players have you got out of contract this coming season and is there no sign of them committing to your club? 

On 08/12/2021 at 19:45, longsiders1882 said:

Of course clubs like Newcastle may now look to try and take our players to weaken us, suggestions they are after Mee as well as Tarky for example. Could be an interesting January however we have a real chance of putting 9-12 points in the board before the window opens. Of course it won’t happen but we do have 4 eminently winnable games (Watford, Villa, Everton and Leeds) . Of course the way Covid is going games could be off or teams could be playing depleted squads so who knows.

I do know that after Leeds at the start of the year we have Leicester, Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool in a row so we really need to win at least 3 of the next 5 and get a draw if we want any chance of staying up. It really doesn’t seem likely but football is a funny game. Scab a point Sunday against West Ham, beat Watford and maybe we build some confidence. Ahh as footie fan it really is the hope that kills you.

it is going to be interesting few weeks at the bottom of PL and how it all plays out 

• Like 1

The guy from the Guardian at yesterday’s  match wasn’t too impressed with the Dingles  - “ Sean Dyche’s bland team put the stale into stalemate “. “ Lukas Fabianski only had to field one, tame attempt on target “. “ Goal droughts are more common amongst the Burnley players, however. They were poor in possession, lacking fluency or creativity.” “ I would take the point and the clean sheet “ said the pragmatist in Dyche. They have a solitary win in 15 and the Championship is starting to loom large. “ “ He ( Dyche ) chose a midfield who lack a goal between them this season “.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

I think Burnley can count themselves extremely lucky that there are so many dire teams around them at the moment. They can't buy a win at the present time yet the awful form of the likes of Newcastle Norwich and Watford means they haven't been cut adrift at the bottom of the league which they ordinarily might have been. 

I can easily see Southampton and Leeds being dragged right down into the bottom six which gives lucky Burnley greater odds of somehow scraping enough points. 

43 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I think Burnley can count themselves extremely lucky that there are so many dire teams around them at the moment. They can't buy a win at the present time yet the awful form of the likes of Newcastle Norwich and Watford means they haven't been cut adrift at the bottom of the league which they ordinarily might have been. 

I can easily see Southampton and Leeds being dragged right down into the bottom six which gives lucky Burnley greater odds of somehow scraping enough points. 

That is rubbish - you are not lucky or unlucky over the course of a season. You earn the position you finish in, be that top or bottom. If we go down - which I do accept looks very likely - then we are not unlucky, simply not good enough. However should we stay up, we are not lucky, simply better than at least 3 other teams. Luck is a factor in one of games but in a season of 38 games you get the outcome you have earned.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

That is rubbish - you are not lucky or unlucky over the course of a season. You earn the position you finish in, be that top or bottom. If we go down - which I do accept looks very likely - then we are not unlucky, simply not good enough. However should we stay up, we are not lucky, simply better than at least 3 other teams. Luck is a factor in one of games but in a season of 38 games you get the outcome you have earned.

I agree. Over the course of a season you finish where you deserve to based purely on results. Desperate managers often bemoan their luck but very rarely the converse.

7 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I agree with a lot of that but sometimes luck can play a part. The last time we got relegated 9 seasons out 10 we would have had enough points to stay up. It was just that particular season was very competitive down at the bottom. In that respect we could count ourselves unlucky I think.

With the Prem normally at least one, if not two, of the newly promoted teams will go straight back down. One “established “ team will have a bad season - injuries, bad managerial appointment, etc, and they’ll go down. If you can avoid being that team normally you can stay up.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I agree with a lot of that but sometimes luck can play a part. The last time we got relegated 9 seasons out 10 we would have had enough points to stay up. It was just that particular season was very competitive down at the bottom. In that respect we could count ourselves unlucky I think.

With the Prem normally at least one, if not two, of the newly promoted teams will go straight back down. One “established “ team will have a bad season - injuries, bad managerial appointment, etc, and they’ll go down. If you can avoid being that team normally you can stay up.

That isn't luck though, a league table is about placings rather than points. Ultimately it is a total irrelevance as to whether a certain points tally would have kept us in a different season with different teams, that season our points tally made us worse than 21 others.

On 13/12/2021 at 13:31, K-Hod said:

What a shame. Genuinely one of the best I’ve seen in the PL.

A superb player. 

He scored 427 goals. Without his annual 3 months out injured he would have bagged a lot more. 

For some contrast Ronaldo has over 800 goals. A frightening return.

• Moderation Lead
2 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

A superb player. 

He scored 427 goals. Without his annual 3 months out injured he would have bagged a lot more. 

For some contrast Ronaldo has over 800 goals. A frightening return.

Aguero has the best goals to game ratio in the history of the PL. Most goals of any foreign player ever too. If he’d played in England since he was 18 and better luck with injuries, he’d be the all time leading goal scorer without a doubt for me. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Aguero has the best goals to game ratio in the history of the PL. Most goals of any foreign player ever too. If he’d played in England since he was 18 and better luck with injuries, he’d be the all time leading goal scorer without a doubt for me. 

I agree with that.

He played 10 season in the Prem; 275 games, 184 goals. Aguero - Wikipedia

Shearer had 19. 559 games and 283 goals. Shearer - Wikipedia 

He should have stayed at Rovers though - 138 games 112 goals. We were spoiled for those 4 seasons. 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I agree with that.

He played 10 season in the Prem; 275 games, 184 goals. Aguero - Wikipedia

Shearer had 19. 559 games and 283 goals. Shearer - Wikipedia 

He should have stayed at Rovers though - 138 games 112 goals. We were spoiled for those 4 seasons. 

Aguero was the most talented striker ever in the PL, for me. I know that’s a big call, but I just felt like he had it all, when he was on form, he was unplayable.

You’ll get no argument on Shearer from me, the man is an absolute demi-God in my eyes for what he achieved here.

Can understand the sentimental transfer from his point of view, but, if he’d gone elsewhere after here, he’d have won much more.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

No doubting Aguero was a great player but you could also flip that argument on it's head and say that if Shearer had spent his career playing with the players Aguero played with for an all conquering City side, he'd have scored a lot more than he did as well.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
22 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

No doubting Aguero was a great player but you could also flip that argument on it's head and say that if Shearer had spent his career playing with the players Aguero played with for an all conquering City side, he'd have scored a lot more than he did as well.

Absolutely no doubt about that either, to be fair! However, having seen them both play, I still think Aguero was a better player. I’m really conflicted saying that too, as Alan Shearer was my hero growing up and certainly the best player I’ve seen with us in my lifetime.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Absolutely no doubt about that either, to be fair! However, having seen them both play, I still think Aguero was a better player. I’m really conflicted saying that too, as Alan Shearer was my hero growing up and certainly the best player I’ve seen with us in my lifetime.

I've seen both play, Shearer a lot more than Aguero, but I'd take Shearer. Aguero's movement was impeccable and his first few yards were lightning. Shearer wasn't as good in those departments but his aerial prowess, hold up play, strength, and crossing ability put him ahead.

As Rev said; imagine if Shearer signed for Fergie's Man U in 1996? He'd have hit 40 in a season at least once with the attacking riches they had. Beckham alone would have had 15 assists just putting it on Shearer's head.

Whilst I'm at it, Thierry Henry had 8 seasons at Arsenal. 254 games, 174 goals. Henry - Wikipedia. A different player than the other two but also someone with bags of talent.

Anyway, back on topic. Leeds were woeful against City. I said that Mowbray should have gone after Fulham. Bielsa won't be happy after that. I don't think that Leeds will go down as they'll get Philips and Bamford back sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1