BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Premier League season 21/22

Gutted Ole has gone, he's been brilliant for United. Well, from my perspective. For anyone who wishes manure well then he's probably been pretty poor and this has been a surprisingly long time coming. 

To be honest he failed in most areas really. 

He never solved the Pogba conundrum of getting him performing consistently or shipping him out. 

He didn't win a trophy. The much maligned Jose and Van Gaal both managed this, so that's very poor in comparison. 

He spent a huge amount either badly or not getting the best from the players. Sancho was an excellent player pre United. Maguire is a fair weather centre back who struggles under pressure and is not worth £80 million. 

Despite spending vast sums he didn't address the key need of a defensive midfielder. All good teams need one, not sure how he missed this for three years. 

Mind you it was pretty clear from the Watford result the players had downed tools so it was inevitable the fun had to end. 

• Like 2

Solksjaer was always a poor appointment. If he hadn't played for United he would never have been considered. It was a surprising appointment too, because United have always been ruthless in hiring and firing managers and appointing Solskjaer was purely based on sentiment because he was so popular

A warning to Rovers not to down the Johnson/Ainsworth route. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't understand why Pochettino would be the man of choice, his reputation exceeds what he has actually won.

Because he did a great job at Spurs and Southampton. Plus he would fit the club and how they play. 

He would be my 1st choice for the job if it was my choice

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Because he did a great job at Spurs and Southampton. Plus he would fit the club and how they play. 

He would be my 1st choice for the job if it was my choice

Give it a rest Chaddy, you were scoffing at my suggestion Ole was off....🙄 now you are in charge of appointing his replacement 🤷‍♂️

OJS will never get another such high profile job and will probably never get another PL appointment.

Still, with a £7.5 million payoff he will be in no rush and can have a lifetime of paid expenses as a ManUre ambassador just for the asking.

I was confident that MU would win nothing with him at the helm, sadly that could change in the unlikely event that MU make a decent appointment and spend well.

Not that I actually give a feck......

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its trophies that they should want above all else, not style.

They need a manager or head coach thats fits the club structure and will suits their players they have. For me, Pochettino would be the right fit. I have been talking to a few Manchester United supporters friends and they all have their opinions and one thing they all said is they want a manager who will play attacking football and press from the front. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12474689/manchester-united-mauricio-pochettino-top-target-to-replace-ole-gunnar-solskjaer

Sir Alex 'wants Pochettino to succeed Solskjaer at United' (msn.com)

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

They need a manager or head coach thats fits the club structure and will suits their players they have. For me, Pochettino would be the right fit. I have been talking to a few Manchester United supporters friends and they all have their opinions and one thing they all said is they want a manager who will play attacking football and press from the front. 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12474689/manchester-united-mauricio-pochettino-top-target-to-replace-ole-gunnar-solskjaer

Sir Alex 'wants Pochettino to succeed Solskjaer at United' (msn.com)

Im not convinced that United have a squad best suited to pressing from the front. Ronaldo is a phenomenal goalscorer but he is not going to press much and Fernandes, Rashford and Sancho arent that type of player either.

People obsess over idealistic styles of football but there is no right or wrong way to play, you get the best out of what you have. Perhaps a more pragmatic approach would best suit that set of players because they will win games if motivated and organised with those players at the top end of the pitch.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not convinced that United have a squad best suited to pressing from the front. Ronaldo is a phenomenal goalscorer but he is not going to press much and Fernandes, Rashford and Sancho arent that type of player either.

signing Ronaldo was a massive mistake b OGS and not someone they needed. They need a quality defensive midfielder. Sancho and Rashford can press from the front as they have shown with England before. . Also if they wanted a striker they should have gone for Harry Kane. 

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

People obsess over idealistic styles of football but there is no right or wrong way to play, you get the best out of what you have. Perhaps a more pragmatic approach would best suit that set of players because they will win games if motivated and organised with those players at the top end of the pitch.

They have tried this pragmatic approach over a period of time and under different managers plus spent millions after millions are still behind the big 3. 

People have their prefer styles of play and the way they want the team to play. 

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

signing Ronaldo was a massive mistake b OGS and not someone they needed. They need a quality defensive midfielder. Sancho and Rashford can press from the front as they have shown with England before. . Also if they wanted a striker they should have gone for Harry Kane. 

They have tried this pragmatic approach over a period of time and under different managers plus spent millions after millions are still behind the big 3. 

People have their prefer styles of play and the way they want the team to play. 

Kane wouldnt press much either. I do have my doubts over the Ronaldo signing but lets face it, he is still a fantastic goalscorer and he has got them out of the shit more than once already.

Mourinho has been the most successful manager since Ferguson and won trophies and he wasnt fussed about playing pretty football. These days there is a strange obsession over playing styles of football. The next manager should be judged solely on trophies.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Kane wouldnt press much either. 

Did it for Pochettino at Spurs and under Southgate for England. 

I do have my doubts over the Ronaldo signing but lets face it, he is still a fantastic goalscorer and he has got them out of the shit more than once already.

But he didn't fit OGS tactics at all. But imagine people wanted him.signed due to the extra revenue and sponsorship he brings in. Not a player needed at all. 

Mourinho has been the most successful manager since Ferguson and won trophies and he wasnt fussed about playing pretty football. 

And look at all the baggage that's comes with him. Plus after a couple of seasons of him people get fed up with and make changes. Manchester City and Liverpool would never appointed him. 

The next manager should be judged solely on trophies.

Well given that United are well behind the big 3 right now they aren't going to win the League or Champions league in the few years. So maybe a cup and top 4 is the best they could hope for

Edited by chaddyrovers

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Did it for Pochettino at Spurs and under Southgate for England. 

But he didn't fit OGS tactics at all. But imagine people wanted him.signed due to the extra revenue and sponsorship he brings in. Not a player needed at all. 

And look at all the baggage that's comes with him. Plus after a couple of seasons of him people get fed up with and make changes. Manchester City and Liverpool would never appointed him. 

Well given that United are well behind the big 3 right now they aren't going to win the League or Champions league in the few years. So maybe a cup and top 4 is the best they could hope for

Solskjaer never really had clearly defined tactics and was always reliant on individuals getting him out of the shit which Ronaldo has done more than most this season. You cant argue that he would play if United are picking their strongest team so its all about getting the best out of him, not expecting him to do thinks he cant (or wont) do to fit idealistic ideas of tactics. Pressing, high intensity football is not the way they should or can play based on the players they have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

You cant argue that he would play if United are picking their strongest team so its all about getting the best out of him, not expecting him to do thinks he cant (or wont) do to fit idealistic ideas of tactics. Pressing, high intensity football is not the way they should or can play based on the players they have.

Well that's depends on how I want the team to play but I wouldn't be afraid of dropping anyone including Ronaldo. 

I have mention how several United supporters friends want them to play. 

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well that's depends on how I want the team to play but I wouldn't be afraid of dropping anyone including Ronaldo. 

I have mention how several United supporters friends want them to play. 

So you are given the United job, transfixed with these ideals you keep mentioning about how football should be played with pressing and high intensity and inheriting a squad including guaranteed goalscorers such as Ronaldo, Fernandes and Rashford who dont really fit those tactical ideals. Youve got 3 options, what would you do:

1. Play those star players especially Ronaldo and compromise on your ideals, playing tactics better suiting those players.

2. Play those star players especially Ronaldo who arent suited to pressing high but tell them that this how you want to play so you expect them to press high regardless.

3 Drop Ronaldo and Fernandes for inferior players such as Lingard but ones who are more likely to press high and fit your tactics.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

So you are given the United job, transfixed with these ideals you keep mentioning about how football should be played with pressing and high intensity and inheriting a squad including guaranteed goalscorers such as Ronaldo, Fernandes and Rashford who dont really fit those tactical ideals. Youve got 3 options, what would you do:

1. Play those star players especially Ronaldo and compromise on your ideals, playing tactics better suiting those players.

2. Play those star players especially Ronaldo who arent suited to pressing high but tell them that this how you want to play so you expect them to press high regardless.

3 Drop Ronaldo and Fernandes for inferior players such as Lingard but ones who are more likely to press high and fit your tactics.

Firstly I said it the way several United supporters friends want their team to play by playing high press and on the front foot. Clearly you didn't read that bit.

If I was appoint United manager then I would play the best way to bring results even if that meant Ronaldo and Fernandes didn't play or had to drop for certain games.

Everyone keeps saying "Roanldo has saved them many times, imagine where they'd be without him" 

I think as good a player as he is, he was a bad signing from a footballing point of view. Ole had a way he wanted to play and Ronaldo doesn't fit into that. But Ronaldo has to  start every game and therefore you either have to play a player in a system that doesn't work for him or change the way you want to play. 

The arrival of Ronaldo probably upset the apple cart a little bit, imagine what cavani and sancho were thinking. Then there's the sulking after the first bad result which got magnified by the media and instantly there was a bad atmosphere around Ole . 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Everyone keeps saying "Roanldo has saved them many times, imagine where they'd be without him" 

I think as good a player as he is, he was a bad signing from a footballing point of view. Ole had a way he wanted to play and Ronaldo doesn't fit into that. But Ronaldo has to  start every game and therefore you either have to play a player in a system that doesn't work for him or change the way you want to play. 

The arrival of Ronaldo probably upset the apple cart a little bit, imagine what cavani and sancho were thinking. Then there's the sulking after the first bad result which got magnified by the media and instantly there was a bad atmosphere around Ole . 

That's Utd for you---always looking for the spectacular way out. They expect success will happen so long as they spend big

enough. "We've spent more than everyone else---why are we not top?" is what they are now thinking.

Next manager comes in under even more pressure and has even less time to sort it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

Very good post. United didn't need Ronaldo from a footballing point of view but its a signing made for commercial reasons. 

Ole had a style sorted after Varane and Sancho signings he was done transfer wise but then Ronaldo became available and they wanted him back. I wouldn't have signed him. It was so long ago he was sulking cos he wasn't started a game. Not the type of character they need. 

Edited by chaddyrovers