BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Season Expectations

Where do people expect us to finish this season for the season to be considered par for the course or even a success? And are people flexible enough in their views to have a target to which Mowbray (who sadly seems to be here for the near future) could even earn a new deal?

I think firstly that it is important to acknowledge the lack of backing this summer, there wasn't a competitive budget of even a fraction of the Armstrong money and the considerable wage budget savings to replace not only Armstrong but a multitude of experienced players. We are left with an average first 11 including 4 academy graduates and a player signed last season for the under 23s, and beyond that, pitiful depth padded out by the cheapest of kids on loan deals.

Perhaps it could be argued that any improvement on last seasons finish of 15th place is progression but for me, last season was so poor that it should be based upon the previous finish of 11th. If we finish in the top 10, whilst I have always felt that anything slightly under the play offs has to be deemed a disappointment in that the top 6 is so close, I would consider that to be a good season personally.

That being said, a top 10 finish would not warrant a contract extension for me. It would be 4 full seasons in which Mowbray would have been somewhat a safe pair of hands, never at threat of serious relegation, but in which time he has never come close to a top 6 finish, and I suspect would be unlikely to any time soon. I am unsure if we have ever truly had a top 6 squad under him, we definitely don't this season and I would potentially suggest that we have the worst squad out of the last 4 years, similar to the first season up. A top 6 season would be an overachievement specific to this season but that is ultimately we will need at some point in order to get into the play offs, and to get some hope back which Venkys have long since extinguished.

I expect a similar finish to last season however, quite possibly even slightly lower.

• Backroom

I believe our first eleven, injury and suspension free, has enough about them to get into a playoff position under the right manager. Mowbray obviously isn't that manager, and even a better one would have issues with our current squad depth, as the chances of going the whole season without players going missing for periods of time is practically zero. 

Optimistically I expect another mid-table finish under the current management and coaching staff, as it is the upper limit of what they are capable of. Pessimistically I think a couple of injuries to key players such as BBD and Ayala could torpedo our season and drag us into a relegation fight. God help us if Kaminski is out for any period of time. 

Once Mowbray (hopefully) leaves at the end of the season we'll see how much of a mess he's left us in and what damage the new manager will be tasked with repairing from our fabled journey. Chances are, with the current owners in situ, it will be another dud who at best can keep us in mid-table and at worst will relegate us again.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

I believe our first eleven, injury and suspension free, has enough about them to get into a playoff position under the right manager. Mowbray obviously isn't that manager, and even a better one would have issues with our current squad depth, as the chances of going the whole season without players going missing for periods of time is practically zero. 

Optimistically I expect another mid-table finish under the current management and coaching staff, as it is the upper limit of what they are capable of. Pessimistically I think a couple of injuries to key players such as BBD and Ayala could torpedo our season and drag us into a relegation fight. God help us if Kaminski is out for any period of time. 

Once Mowbray (hopefully) leaves at the end of the season we'll see how much of a mess he's left us in and what damage the new manager will be tasked with repairing from our fabled journey. Chances are, with the current owners in situ, it will be another dud who at best can keep us in mid-table and at worst will relegate us again.

I am not convinced how the first 11 is deemed a top 6 one to be fair, many of the first 11 isn't close to being top 6 quality, Gallagher, Dolan, Buckley the obvious 3. But of course it is a squad game over 46 games, do you think the squad is a top 6 one under a good manager?

Would a top 6 be your minimum expectation then, or would that be reduced once you factored in the whole squad off the back of this summer? And is there any possible way that (for example, perhaps a top 6 finish) that Mowbray could surprise you and as a result warrant a contract extension?

12 minutes ago, Waggy76 said:

This season would be a success if Mowbray is sacked and we stay up ..

I think Derbys woes , will aid us in relegation , alongside Peterboro , who are 2 teams already nailed on for the drop...

Where do you think our current squad (not factoring in the manager) should be finishing?

If we defied expectations, for example if we finished in the top 6, not that I believe that would happen for a second. Would Mowbray then warrant an extension?

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Predicted a mid table finish this season with if we have some luck with injuries and maybe add 2 or 3 quality players in January we could get top 6. 

Mid table with current squad. 4 minutes ago.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You continuously downplayed our squad quality and the players we have. There is plenty of decent quality in the squad beyond that 11 you named and to be honest I have no idea why you continuously do it for. Players like Edun, Wharton, Carter, JRC, Khadra, Butterworth, Johnson, and Clarkson all have quality to add to that 11 you named. And Yes I believe we could make top 6 if we keep key players fit and in form plus we stop losing leads like yesterday

Top 6 potentially with current squad. 4 hours ago.

What are your expectations, ie not your prediction, but what would be deemed a good finish? And what if anything would earn Mowbray a new deal?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

What are your expectations, ie not your prediction, but what would be deemed a good finish? And what if anything would earn Mowbray a new deal?

I predicted mid table at the start of the season based on our squad . 

But after 12 games gone and having watched the league and see how it gone for us I think this current squad could and get top 6 if we keep most of best 11 players fit. But I also feel that the January transfer window will be crucial for us in determining where we finish this season. 

a good finish? top half

I think we should part ways with Mowbray whatever happens this season unless he achieve promotion. I would like to new younger manager/Head coach in change 

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I predicted mid table at the start of the season based on our squad . 

But after 12 games gone and having watched the league and see how it gone for us I think this current squad could and get top 6 if we keep most of best 11 players fit. But I also feel that the January transfer window will be crucial for us in determining where we finish this season. 

a good finish? top half

I think we should part ways with Mowbray whatever happens this season unless he achieve promotion. I would like to new younger manager/Head coach in change 

We achieve promotion we definitely part ways !!

The usual 8th - 14th Mowbray mediocre comfort zone. Lose a few players in January or suffer significant injuries then could easily be dragged into a relegation battle. Sack the manager, make a decent appointment, keep the better players and a few shrewd signings could easily make the play offs in a poor quality division. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not convinced how the first 11 is deemed a top 6 one to be fair, many of the first 11 isn't close to being top 6 quality, Gallagher, Dolan, Buckley the obvious 3. But of course it is a squad game over 46 games, do you think the squad is a top 6 one under a good manager?

Would a top 6 be your minimum expectation then, or would that be reduced once you factored in the whole squad off the back of this summer? And is there any possible way that (for example, perhaps a top 6 finish) that Mowbray could surprise you and as a result warrant a contract extension?

From what I've seen from our first 11 in some games this season we could be a match for anyone in the division - but to make that true consistently you'd obviously need a better manager than Mowbray, and have far greater squad depth to account for injuries. 

I don't think the current squad as a whole is enough for a top six position. The only way we have a chance is if our first eleven stay fit throughout and the chances of that happening are slim to none. Hence why my optimistic expectation is mid table, and my pessimistic expectation being a relegation fight. 

Mowbray could do nothing at this point to make me want him to stay. Even if we got promoted he wouldn't be the man to manage us in the PL. Much like WBA we'd be straight back down, and brutally so. As far as I'm concerned he must leave no matter what - even if I have no trust in Venky's to appoint anybody better.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DE. said:

From what I've seen from our first 11 in some games this season we could be a match for anyone in the division - but to make that true consistently you'd obviously need a better manager than Mowbray, and have far greater squad depth to account for injuries. 

I don't think the current squad as a whole is enough for a top six position. The only way we have a chance is if our first eleven stay fit throughout and the chances of that happening are slim to none. Hence why my optimistic expectation is mid table, and my pessimistic expectation being a relegation fight. 

Mowbray could do nothing at this point to make me want him to stay. Even if we got promoted he wouldn't be the man to manage us in the PL. Much like WBA we'd be straight back down, and brutally so. As far as I'm concerned he must leave no matter what - even if I have no trust in Venky's to appoint anybody better.

If he masterminded a promotion, there would be no way that he could be justifiably sacked. Sadly, that is a hypothetical scenario though of which there is more chance of pigs flying!

• Like 1

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If he masterminded a promotion, there would be no way that he could be justifiably sacked. Sadly, that is a hypothetical scenario though of which there is more chance of pigs flying!

Well, yeah, the chances of us getting promoted as it stands are basically zero anyway. I agree that, much like after the L1 promotion, it would seem crazy not to offer him a new contract. However, I'm certain we'd stand no chance of staying up if he was kept on so on a personal level I would still want him gone once we had worked out what black magic he had used to get us promoted in the first place.

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Total confusion at Chez Chaddy

• Like 1

My expectations are this season will be the same as the last couple.We will look decent at times and win a few games  but lose when its not expected up until xmas then when the transfer widow opens in Jan we will win 3 in a row moving us up to just outside the playoff places.This in turn will get people exited that there is a promotion push in place ahead.

By the end of the window Mowbray will be saying how much Clubs want for players and how much players are asking for in wages and how we can't afford them.We will end up with 5th or 6th choice replacement for Armstrong.As  soon as the Transfer window shuts we'll go on our annual losing run sticking us nowhere again in mid table and the season will peter out into nothingness.

Mowbray will blame anybody and anything other than himself and when things go quiet it will be announced that he signed a new 3 year deal in March 2022 after convincing the owners we're still only halfway through ' the journey '

• Like 1

20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

If he gets us promoted, he won't be sacked.

If he doesn't get us promoted, he won't be sacked.

21 hours ago, DE. said:

Ya, there would be zero chance he would keep us up and he would probably tell us this too!