BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

1 minute ago, nbdelboy said:

One of Nixon's more insightful comments when he was still on here was that 3 clubs in a story is often a sign of an agent at work. I'd guess that this is just that if the Dutch lad ends up signing in the next day or so, although he did look decent when Barnsley were at Ewood a few weeks back. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I do think it is key that any new forward does fit into the current method of how we play, for example I wouldnt sign a big brute of a target man just to be a plan B as he would never be able to fit into our plan A.

That being said, I think the definition of what a striker is nowadays is very flexible and subjective, do we really not play with strikers? Is Brereton not a striker? Yes he is quick and he moves into the channels but ultimately he is a goalscorer and whilst we can not expect another 20 goal striker to be easily signed, we could do with an actual forward who can play similar to how Brereton does on the other side and crucially also offers us another serious goal threat. I dont know the European market enough to be able to think of any obtainable targets, so can only name types of forward. An Adam Armstrong from last season, a Gabriel Jesus, a Mason Greenwood, (left footed could be great) a Son Heung Min, at our level a Karlan Grant. Someone who is an actual goal threat and more of a striker than a hybrid winger/number 10 type but equally one who would fit how we play easily.

Burke for example may be quick and he also is a wide man who has played (terribly) as a striker in the past, therefore if you are pigeon holeing a player based on style, then maybe he fits positionally as someone who could play as the right sided forward in our current formation, but ultimately he is crap so that should be the end of it.

I agree. If Mowbray had any desire to play a target man I'm sure he would have done it with Gallagher by now.

Whats strange about it is Mowbray played Graham as a target man for ages, but since he's left just hasn't been interested at all despite us having a lot of number 10s who could play off one (Dack, Holtby, Rothwell, Buckley) as worked pretty successfully in League 1 and when we came up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rigger said:

From what I have seen of Eastham for the U23s, he is average at best. A good shot stopper with good distribution. But again, as it seems with most of our keepers, poor decision making and does not control the box. I have never been a believer in, if other people have done it, then it is the best thing to do. But even by your examples, Eastham is two inches shorter than Given.

I’ve been to most home matches for the u23s and he lots the best we have in that age group. My 4 foot nothing granny who has passed away would be better than Pears. Eastham will make it I’m sure and a couple of inches will not be held against him.  Decision making comes with experience, and my view is he does command his box.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I agree. If Mowbray had any desire to play a target man I'm sure he would have done it with Gallagher by now.

Whats strange about it is Mowbray played Graham as a target man for ages, but since he's left just hasn't been interested at all despite us having a lot of number 10s who could play off one (Dack, Holtby, Rothwell, Buckley) as worked pretty successfully in League 1 and when we came up.

Gallagher is a totally different player to Graham to be fair; the latter was an expert at holding up the ball and bringing others into play, whereas I can't ever remember seeing a Rovers striker as poor as Gallagher at doing that.

It didn't seem that Mowbray's initial plan was to build around Graham initially even in League 1 and it is to his credit that he wasn't stubborn or too inflexible to realise that we were a better team with than without him at that time. That being said, I am not surprised that long term, that it wasn't a cornerstone in how he plays.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, had.e.nuff said:

my son used to train with an ex pro Ted Burgin with over 400 games and he was only 5`7 he even made the world cup squad

Here is a short legend for you 

campos-5-min.jpg

Jorge-Campos-con-sus-excentricos-atuendos-fue-un-portero-espectacular.jpeg

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Rich Sharpe claiming we haven't bid for Hedges this month contrary to Sky, Josh Maja is rated at £3mil by Bordeaux which is putting us off that pursuit, and the Sommerville links are also made up.

Given we sold Armstrong for a headline fee of £15m before Newcastle's chunk and the owners completed the exercise with the training ground, I would hope that the reluctance to meet the fee for Maja is down to concerns about his fitness rather than ones about the size of the fee per se.

With our best chance of going up in years, (and quite possibly for many years to come) on offer,  If we're not prepared to reinvest such a small chunk of the Armstrong proceeds on the chance of promotion it would be hard to escape the conclusion that no-one at the Club is really that serious about promotion.

A gift horse has unexpectedly fallen our way, let's not look it squarely in the mouth!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Given we sold Armstrong for a headline fee of £15m before Newcastle's chunk and the owners completed the exercise with the training ground, I would hope that the reluctance to meet the fee for Maja is down to concerns about his fitness rather than ones about the size of the fee per se.

With our best chance of going up in years, (and quite possibly for many years to come) on offer,  If we're not prepared to reinvest such a small chunk of the Armstrong proceeds on the chance of promotion it would be hard to escape the conclusion that no-one at the Club is really that serious about promotion.

A gift horse has unexpectedly fallen our way, let's not look it squarely in the mouth!

100% 

If Venkys cant be arsed to provide what is needed to go up, then im afraid they should just sell the club to somebody, thats willing to back Mowbray

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Can't even hide behind ffp as we have a a garenteed 20m + coming in in the summer if we don't go up as we will have to sell Brereton this is the Time to speculate and give ourselves the best possible chance of going up.

It isn't guaranteed - he will only have 1 year left on his contract at this point - plus we don't know how his form will be in the second part of the season.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I know they're just rumours, but a bit surprised nobody seems to want to discuss either. Had they already been posted and I missed it?

48 minutes ago, Beanie01289 said:

Can't even hide behind ffp as we have a a garenteed 20m + coming in in the summer if we don't go up as we will have to sell Brereton this is the Time to speculate and give ourselves the best possible chance of going up.

Unless he gets injured like Dack.

24 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I know they're just rumours, but a bit surprised nobody seems to want to discuss either. Had they already been posted and I missed it?

Just had a look at Matt O'Riley as I don't know anything about him, looks a really talented player.

Usual disclaimer, I know it's only highlight reels, anyone can look good.... etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC8BWylvqKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTjcD9JHsY8

I've only watched a couple of 'EFL player of the month' highlights videos, but I would suggest you couldn't make reel that impressive over 5 years of a Corry Evans for example, yet all in only one month for O'Riley.

Wand of a left foot, playmaker from deep but also gets forward, nicks the ball off players, skillfull, composed, takes set pieces, scores a few, seems to have it all.

Only 21 and was at Fulham previously, offered a 3 year deal with option of a fourth. Turned it down to leave for first team football in a lower league which you have to respect. Same as Tayo.

Obviously would expect the club to do more scouting than my 5mins, but I can see why there seems to be a bit interest in him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Given we sold Armstrong for a headline fee of £15m before Newcastle's chunk

Just on the Armstrong fee, we had weeks on here arguing about the actual fee paid by Southampton. They paid £15m up front rising to £20m with addons, confirmed by the manager over the weekend. 

As many of us stated at the time, the deal was £20m, a great bit of business by the club. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Just on the Armstrong fee, we had weeks on here arguing about the actual fee paid by Southampton. They paid £15m up front rising to £20m with addons, confirmed by the manager over the weekend. 

As many of us stated at the time, the deal was £20m, a great bit of business by the club. 

It's only £15m until he hits the add ons. Not sure how many times he warms the bench will trigger an additional payment 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Gav said:

Great is a stretch, but the sale itself was good business.

Allowing him to reach the stage of his contract where that became good business though, was terrible business. After which we have learnt nothing and gone on to let it happen to more players.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

It's only £15m until he hits the add ons. Not sure how many times he warms the bench will trigger an additional payment 

And one goal.

Doesn't look like we'll ever end up getting more than the £15 less Newcastle's cut out of that one unless A A shapes himself.

Should still have cleared around £10m though. Should be more than adequate to reinvest £3 - £4m on someone, especially given the position we're currently in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Great is a stretch, but the sale itself was good business.

Allowing him to reach the stage of his contract where that became good business though, was terrible business. After which we have learnt nothing and gone on to let it happen to more players.

Yep, and Kaminsky et al this time next season.

47 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Its a £20m deal, that was the point.

He's also made 15 appearances already this season, it doesn't matter if they're from the bench which most are not. 

Edited by Gav