BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 hours ago, JBiz said:

As I said, AA was made a “very generous offer” to quote either TM or SW. 

Well that's total bullshit.  Generous means to offer more than was expected, you are saying we were "very" generous, so I just don't believe that....that's offering way over what was expected.  The same for the rebels.

It's bullshit from Tesco again

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

It's a boring task, but someone has to remind posters that we also actively seek out players in the last year of their contracts. Swings and roundabouts most of the time.

Don't think anybody needs reminding of that, thanks. Other clubs dropping the ball, or having their arm forced on the odd player, does not negate our own failings. Nobody I've seen has been complaining about the moral outrage of it, just that we have allowed an unacceptable situation which has never happened to BRFC (on this scale, all at once) since the bosmans became a thing.

39 minutes ago, 47er said:

It makes you wonder. If we don't go up this season, how could we ever go up given our salary cap? We need to have a side with several graduates from the Academy in it because we can't buy our way out of the Championship.

But when some come good, we can't apparently give them a pay rise commensurate with what they could get elsewhere.

They leave, possibly to Championship rivals, and we start again!

Its not exactly a recipe for success is it?

We could always spend beyonf our means like Derby and Sheffield wednesday

18 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Well that's total bullshit.  Generous means to offer more than was expected, you are saying we were "very" generous, so I just don't believe that....that's offering way over what was expected.  The same for the rebels.

Exactly - and breaking our own rigid wage structure.

I reckon our structure only allows max increases of 20% or something like that too.

1 minute ago, islander200 said:

We could always spend beyonf our means like Derby and Sheffield wednesday

We could also just give up and accept that the height of our ambition is to stay in the Championship.

In fact, it often looks like we have. 11 years and counting!

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Exactly - and breaking our own rigid wage structure.

I reckon our structure only allows max increases of 20% or something like that too.

It also means valuing players you sign above those who have been with us since they were kids.

And, historically, we have always done that. Fergy made some comment to that effect when he pinched David May off us.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, 47er said:

It makes you wonder. If we don't go up this season, how could we ever go up given our salary cap? We need to have a side with several graduates from the Academy in it because we can't buy our way out of the Championship.

But when some come good, we can't apparently give them a pay rise commensurate with what they could get elsewhere.

They leave, possibly to Championship rivals, and we start again!

Its not exactly a recipe for success is it?

I agree it isn't a recipe for success but it's the same situation most of the Championship is in. There's only a handful of clubs who can hold onto their best players.

It is depressing though.... not being able to get players who have come in from the division below or the academy to sign new contracts is a situation we have literally never been in before. Not as long as I've followed the club anyway.

2 hours ago, Miller11 said:

Why is Nyambe the only one considered a contract rebel, and why is he the only one whose commitment is questioned?

What differentiates Nyambe from Rothwell and Lenihan?

Nevermind the fact that we are again using loanees heavily, and the fact the bloody manager will be gone before these players as things stand.

The campaign to discredit him is frankly baffling.

Note Forest have bought in two acquisitions already with more on the way.

What is it our recruitment department actually do?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 47er said:

We could also just give up and accept that the height of our ambition is to stay in the Championship.

In fact, it often looks like we have. 11 years and counting!

Yeah and we are third at the minute.

Do you think Brentford were paying their players more than we are now?

With our income 20k max is about right.We were paying players 30+k a week for the first 4 or 5 years in this division.That didnt get us very far did it?

7 hours ago, Russ said:

Just had a look at Matt O'Riley as I don't know anything about him, looks a really talented player.

Usual disclaimer, I know it's only highlight reels, anyone can look good.... etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC8BWylvqKc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTjcD9JHsY8

I've only watched a couple of 'EFL player of the month' highlights videos, but I would suggest you couldn't make reel that impressive over 5 years of a Corry Evans for example, yet all in only one month for O'Riley.

Wand of a left foot, playmaker from deep but also gets forward, nicks the ball off players, skillfull, composed, takes set pieces, scores a few, seems to have it all.

Only 21 and was at Fulham previously, offered a 3 year deal with option of a fourth. Turned it down to leave for first team football in a lower league which you have to respect. Same as Tayo.

Obviously would expect the club to do more scouting than my 5mins, but I can see why there seems to be a bit interest in him.

Tbh...and of course it's just highlights...reminds me of Buckley from those clips. Nicks the ball well and has a great range of passing. Physically sturdier than him though.

As ever the question is, can he do the stuff on the highlights with any consistency (them all being from one month is promising though) and can he step up a level and do it against better players? For the right price though, wouldn't mind a punt. Hard to see how he gets past Dack to compete for that Buckley role, but perhaps capable of operating deeper.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Any chance we can have a separate thread that summarises actual transfer news 

There isn’t any!

Anyone know what the hold up with Zeefuik is? Apparently he has been over here for a good few days but nothing announced. Why do our dealings always seem to drag, apart from a frenzied last couple of hours on deadline day?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

There isn’t any!

Anyone know what the hold up with Zeefuik is? Apparently he has been over here for a good few days but nothing announced. Why do our dealings always seem to drag, apart from a frenzied last couple of hours on deadline day?

Our recruitment department seemingly don't do "getting deals over the line".

Been the same way for the last several seasons.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Any chance we can have a separate thread that summarises actual transfer news 

Do you mean transfer rumours? The news is, we have signed James Brown and loaned out Sam Burns. I guess there's been enough about us probably signing Zeefuik now for it to be beyond just rumour.

But transfer links...we usually end up with a thread where they go, most windows.

• Like 3

Drogheda not too happy about getting no money from us for James Brown.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19840301.drogheda-very-disappointed-blackburn-rovers-james-brown-move/

Agree with him that the rule of domestic clubs paying compensation, but not foreign clubs, is illogical. I'm sure we could have agreed to a minor sell on clause, even if only 5-10%. But in future they will still be entitled to a small development fee that we, or any of his future clubs, get for him.

7 hours ago, 47er said:

Well they would say that wouldn't they? 

Why you simply believe it without knowing what the offer was I can't understand.

Why you’d simply believe whatever someone surmised on here is equally as baffling?

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

You come up with the most boring pet names for people. Do you realise just how tedious this is? 

Like I said to BB- I don’t know what they’ve offered, so I’m not basing my opinion on a “generous offer” or a “low ball”. 

If you both read posts without trying to force an argument, you’d know that.

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The campaign to discredit him is frankly baffling.

I find it baffling that you’d read a few differing opinions and call it a “campaign to discredit him”, frankly.

8 hours ago, callumrovers said:

Another one - Siriki Dembele. 6 months left on contract, would fit with our current style of play. Peterborough wouldn’t want to lose him now though, will be happy for him to run his contract down. Get him and Sibley we are cooking on gas.

Think this one is one we are pursuing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

Why you’d simply believe whatever someone surmised on here is equally as baffling?

I haven't and you are just dodging the question. I've specifically said that none of us know the numbers.

I have however said on several occasions what I suspect the likely situation is.

Unlike you though I've never stated it as fact.