BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

Just now, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sharpe reckons ‘indications are we won’t be spending £2m in this window’ (talking about O’Riley). Guessing he means in total here as well.

Some ambition if true! 

What does Sharpe know?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Budget is less than a couple of million pounds which is a fraction even of the sales made this season amidst a genuine promotion push. If anyone was in doubt that Venkys are not the problem then there for me is proof that they dont really care.

Screenshot_20220113-105350_Twitter.jpg

I agree it doesnt look positive in terms of us having a decent pot to bring players in but they aint gonna be telling Sharpe how much we have to spend 

Has he ever broken a transfer story?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

If ever there was a time and a season for the owners to put their hands in their pockets, this is it. We're in the best position since relegation 10 years ago and a couple of astute signings could make all the difference to vital points gained and lost.

Assuming the targets have been identified and costed, there is no excuse for not going out and getting them

None

Stop talking sense Jim, you have to think about FFP, wage structures, the cost of pies and the temperature of bovil......ZZZzzzzzzz

We may never get a better chance than this Venkys, throw the kitchen sink at it for goodness sake. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Sharpe reckons ‘indications are we won’t be spending £2m in this window’ (talking about O’Riley). Guessing he means in total here as well.

Some ambition if true! 
Apologies @roversfan99you had beaten me to it.

Interesting that Sharpe didn’t shut down this rumour. Normally that’s some indication of interest. Been reported we could offer cash+player swap - potentially magloire or davenport? Or Carter on loan?

Hes certainly a player I think we should push to bring in. Especially with Rothwell going in the summer. 

With Zeefuik and Riley losing Nymabe and Rothwell wouldn’t be so painful. 

• Like 1

If we keep all the soon to be out of contract players than I can accept not going overboard to an extent but we still need numbers in. Zeefuik is a decent start but now Gallagher is out, we desperately need something more up top. Don’t want us to go anywhere near Burke.

Surely some of the Armstrong money will be made available..?

• Like 1

I also remember us being 'skint' a few summers ago and then bidding £6million for a certain BBD and £4million for Luke Freeman. Don't believe anything you hear, especially that comes from Sharpe. What even is 'current indications'? What would indicate we were going to bid £2million for him... other than us bidding for him?

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I also remember us being 'skint' a few summers ago and then bidding £6million for a certain BBD and £4million for Luke Freeman. Don't believe anything you hear, especially that comes from Sharpe. What even is 'current indications'? What would indicate we were going to bid £2million for him... other than us bidding for him?

In Sharpe’s defence it seems standard Venky’s to not answer the phone for the majority of the month, only to then open up the purse strings right at the death. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what’s going on this time too. Surely if they knew the opportunity here then they’d be going for it?!

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

True. But I think Nyambe would be fairly good in right centre back role in a back 3. 

Johnson shouldnt play centre back again

Nyambe is fairly weak in the air, that is a major drawback for a center-half.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

In Sharpe’s defence it seems standard Venky’s to not answer the phone for the majority of the month, only to then open up the purse strings right at the death. Wouldn’t surprise me if that’s what’s going on this time too. Surely if they knew the opportunity here then they’d be going for it?!

I'd prepare yourself for the 'Why should we spend £3million on Josh Maja when we have Dan Butterworth chomping at the bit?' from TM and SW come February 1st.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s not too bad if you Ayala in the team.

I disagree personally, think about Lenihan the last 6 games (which is where Nyambe would fit) and how many headers he's won. Can't have passengers in a team going for promotion. I think they would think Nyambe is 5th choice too, but am of the opinion we could do with an extra body there, albeit after a CM, winger and ST.

Just now, Mellor Rover said:

I disagree personally, think about Lenihan the last 6 games (which is where Nyambe would fit) and how many headers he's won. Can't have passengers in a team going for promotion. I think they would think Nyambe is 5th choice too, but am of the opinion we could do with an extra body there, albeit after a CM, winger and ST.

How many of them has Ayala played in ?

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

If ever there was a time and a season for the owners to put their hands in their pockets, this is it. We're in the best position since relegation 10 years ago and a couple of astute signings could make all the difference to vital points gained and lost.

Assuming the targets have been identified and costed, there is no excuse for not going out and getting them

None

Apart from Mowbray can't contact Mrs Desai directly and because of that no extra cash comes from the owners. 

We all know she controls the money and we all know there's a reason managers have flown across the world to meet her.

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Apart from Mowbray can't contact Mrs Desai directly and because of that no extra cash comes from the owners. 

We all know she controls the money and we all know there's a reason managers have flown across the world to meet her.

With respect JH I don't think any of that is true, I don't recall Mowbray flying off to Pune before we bought Brereton, reported to be our biggest signing under Venkys.

We also have millions in the coffers from the Armstrong sale, get it spent and lets push on.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Budget is less than a couple of million pounds which is a fraction even of the sales made this season amidst a genuine promotion push. If anyone was in doubt that Venkys are not the problem then there for me is proof that they dont really care.

basically this

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gav said:

With respect JH I don't think any of that is true, I don't recall Mowbray flying off to Pune before we bought Brereton, reported to be our biggest signing under Venkys.

We also have millions in the coffers from the Armstrong sale, get it spent and lets push on.

He went to India that summer and got approval for funds. It was the same summer he spent money on Armstrong. He went the following summer and got approval for Gallagher.

Summer 2011 - Kean goes to India - decent money spent on Dann, Yakubu, Rochina, Petrovic etc.

Summer 2012 - Kean goes to India - decent money spent on Rhodes, Best, Etuhu

Summer 2013 - Bowyer goes to India - decent money spent on Marshall, Evans, Conway, Gestede

Summer 2014 - Bowyer goes to India - money spent on Duffy, Steele

Summer 2015 - Bowyer doesnt go to India - no money spent - Cairney and Gestede sold

Summer 2016 - Coyle doesn't go to India - very little money spent after selling Duffy and Hanley

Summer 2017 - Mowbray goes to India - gets contract extension, keeps all his squad together and able to sign Dack

Summer 2018 - Mowbray goes to India - able to buy Armstrong and Brereton

Summer 2019 - Mowbray goes to India - able to buy Gallagher

Summer 2020 - Mowbray doesn't go to India - no cash spent

Summer 2021 - Mowbray doesn't go to India - very little cash spent despite selling Armstrong and substantial cutbacks/unable to secure players to new deals

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

I personally think this is right. Meagre budget agreed which was what we planned to spend on summer deadline day. No improvement to this budget as no bugger can pin them down.

I hope to be proved wrong. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Not ideal. Zeefuik is not fully vaccinated so could well miss games through isolation.

Screenshot_20220113-140100_Twitter.jpg

He’s probably already missed one. Can’t see him playing in less than 48 hours.

Get him down to the Cathedral as soon as it’s signed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

How do you come to these assertions?

I was under the impression - probably a false one, that Balaji was the main family member involved?