BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That doesn't mean to say we should negate our best chance in a decade by failing to strengthen.

Whether at the start of the season we thought we'd be in this position now or not is completely irrelevant. We are where we are and Imo we definitely need  strengthening quite significantly if we're to have an outside shot at at automatic promotion.

Even to finish top six I think we need quite a bit of squad reinforcement as the depth outside the first X1 is paper thin and teams behind us seem to be gearing up already in anticipation.

I don't agree that we're paper thin. When called upon the players coming off the bench have done well and managed to see games out. Gallagher, Dolan, Johnson, Ayala and Davenport have all been bench warmers lately. Not saying I don't want reinforcements, but we already have one RB incoming plus Dack and JRC returning towards the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Surely this depends who will sign in this window regardless of the money spent. We can sign a couple of players like Hedges and attacker who cost very little due to their contract being up in the summer. We might be looking in the foreign market for an attacker. 

We don't need to the club to comment as people can work it from the ckubs accounts, information already in the public domain and other clubs who have failed FFP rules. 

I have said before that not all of the information needed for FFP calculations is in the public domain and also why I dont think we are on the border of regulations. I cant be arsed debating it again in detail, if you choose to assume that every single time we dont spend its down to FFP. The key thing is as you said that we dont know how much money we will spend, maybe Venkys will surprise me and I can credit them for showing ambition.

Back to this potential signing, his lack of senior experience worries me but as a low cost buy with another striker it could be a smart move. 

47 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Absolutely sick of loans, even when they work they are just patching over holes in our own squad. Can't we sign some players who we can develop ourselves. 

If they work well then you’re in business. Nearly worked to perfection for derby. Albeit they are now in the shit.

28 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I wouldn't say we are doing too bad on that front. Few teams in the league have got as good home grown players as us. 

Mowbray has done very well in the last two seasons on loans. Khadra, Van Hecke, Elliott, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Tosin all very good. 

Really disappointed that we seem not to be spending any money at all.... Don't want a "big name" player like Oli Burke. Will disrupt us in the dressing room and financially. But we should be picking up quality young players who are growing like O'Reilly seems to be.

I think I am getting more miffed off at loans due to the fact we haven't signed many players recently. Topping up your transfers with a couple I can deal with but now it seems every transfer window is loans first and permanents second. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, had.e.nuff said:

could the unexpected windfall from the sudden glut of live games not be used for at least one contract improvement.

Id come to terms with the fact that if any of the 3 do end up signing new deals it will be at the end of the season.

Why would they sign them now?We could be a premier league club in a few months time if things go our way and if we do get promoted our wage budget will become a lot healthier.

Edited by islander200

3 hours ago, JBiz said:

You might be right, and staying away from Desai hasn’t done us any harm seemingly! 

I may be in the minority but I’d rather we didn’t throw everything at this season, I’d rather we build but stay away from the prospect of sanctions, if that is possible.

But there's a middle ground. I've not seen anyone suggesting we should go daft and throw ridiculous money around this month. 

But we will never be in as strong a position to make moves and attract players. We must also have a cushion with Armstrong and Brockhall with FFP rules. If not something is very wrong.

No problem with the 'build' policy if that is actually what we do - but looking at the squad we are not building. Too many loans and out of contract players for that - we need to strike whilst we have a chance because as it stands the summer is going to be another big expensive rebuilding job - possibly with a different management team - and it won't take much to send us back to square one.

Need to keep pushing, striving to improve and adding to what is a good young squad but needs depth. This starts with retaining the core then adding. If (as I suspect is the case) there is minimal money from Venkys or no communication to India to get cash (and I'm talking real cash for signings - not shuffling around on wages or a couple of hundred grand on one signing or allowing a couple of 6 month loans) then we need to ask what the point is and why they bother.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darrenrover said:

All of the above for now, despite anything previous.

Good to hear, and agreed!

Said it before, but the most important job Waggott and Mowbray have right now is explaining the current situation to Venky’s. They have to communicate the position we are in and emphasise this is their best chance of turning Rovers from a massive liability for them to an asset.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Back to this potential signing, his lack of senior experience worries me but as a low cost buy with another striker it could be a smart move. 

So you want to 2 attacking signings? Where are they all going to fit in given we have already have Brereton, Gallagher, Khadra, Dolan..surely one enough.

Hands up who thinks that at some point in the last couple of months Waggott/Mowbray have had discussions or meetings with the owners (not their dogsbody) and have agreed a plan and budget for January that we are now working through with a budget approved by the owners in view of our excellent form and position?

Hands up who thinks that the owners financial team authorised an annual budget which has been handed down by the dogsbody to Waggott within which Mowbray has had to wheel and deal - this is the reason most signings have been loans and no new contracts have been signed and that Mowbray has lost his direct link to the top owners who won't know nor care that we are in contention for promotion?

I'm in camp 2. Wheel and deal it will be as Waggo juggles the pounds and pennies in the budget authorised by the money men last summer to last until this summer. I'd be surprised if any cash was spent and if it is it will have to fit very strict criteria. 

Personally I have a lot of faith in Mowbray and team when it comes to the transfer strategy, especially in the last couple of years. We have spent very wisely and often young, up and coming with a decent re sale value.. 

I think he has learnt from some of his earlier mistakes, although it's always going to be a bit of a gamble given the type of players we either buy or loan in.

But right now I'm pleased and have the confidence in him to bring in the right types.. 

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Hands up who thinks that at some point in the last couple of months Waggott/Mowbray have had discussions or meetings with the owners (not their dogsbody) and have agreed a plan and budget for January that we are now working through with a budget approved by the owners in view of our excellent form and position?

Hands up who thinks that the owners financial team authorised an annual budget which has been handed down by the dogsbody to Waggott within which Mowbray has had to wheel and deal - this is the reason most signings have been loans and no new contracts have been signed and that Mowbray has lost his direct link to the top owners who won't know nor care that we are in contention for promotion?

I'm in camp 2. Wheel and deal it will be as Waggo juggles the pounds and pennies in the budget authorised by the money men last summer to last until this summer. I'd be surprised if any cash was spent and if it is it will have to fit very strict criteria. 

I'm pretty certain we will invest in order to try and push for promotion, don't think we will risk the mortgage on it, but genuinely believe we will strengthen as this is our best chance since relegation and I do think the owners have the clout and faith; they also understand the pot of gold if we do go up.

20 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Be in whatever camp you want, that's your prerogative ultimately and I get your scepticism.

I'm in the camp that everyone associated with the club realises and recognises that this season is our best shot to get promoted, as fans, let's back it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

In my opinion (and it's only my opinion) it's a mixture of the two. Originally Mowbray had (rightly) lost the owners confidence after the dreadful form of  last season and expenditure in summer was kept to a minimum as this was originally seen as a season of survival.

Since then however events have been completely superceded by our unexpectedly good form. You will recall that at one point Waggott was going round telling all and sundry that anyone who had not signed a new contract would be sold in January. For the likely sums involved and given where we are in the table however that would plainly be crazy and it does appear that some sort of discussions have been held whereby Mowbray and Waggott have been told no-one is leaving.

To the extent they'll push the boat out beyond that we'll have to wait and see. Personally I'd be a lot less worried about the owners being willing to take a reasonable punt on promotion than I would be about the ability and competence of those on the ground at Ewood to get any deals done and over the line.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't know why we need 2 tho. 

Going into a crucial part of the seaaon, you cant have enough attackers. But if its just 1, then id rather go for someone who has senior experience and has proven an ability to score goals rather than a total punt based on kids football.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I have said before that not all of the information needed for FFP calculations is in the public domain and also why I dont think we are on the border of regulations. I cant be arsed debating it again in detail, if you choose to assume that every single time we dont spend its down to FFP. The key thing is as you said that we dont know how much money we will spend, maybe Venkys will surprise me and I can credit them for showing ambition.

If not every piece of information required to calculate FFP calculations is in the public domain then how do you reckon we aren't on the border of regulations?

If I am not mistaken our accounts have shown losses year on year. Over a 3 year period we may not lose what is required of FFP to place restrictions but I think from the undertakings of some accounting bods who post on here we weren't far off breaking the rules save for the training ground / Arma sale.

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Going into a crucial part of the seaaon, you cant have enough attackers. But if its just 1, then id rather go for someone who has senior experience and has proven an ability to score goals rather than a total punt based on kids football.

Mowbray having a smaller squad and with less options has gone us well. Can't tinker too much. 

I have no idea who we target for attacker position signing. I just hope it's someone who fits into our style and settle in quickly 

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If not every piece of information required to calculate FFP calculations is in the public domain then how do you reckon we aren't on the border of regulations?

If I am not mistaken our accounts have shown losses year on year. Over a 3 year period we may not lose what is required of FFP to place restrictions but I think from the undertakings of some accounting bods who post on here we weren't far off breaking the rules save for the training ground / Arma sale.

Well I don't, but it seems a hell of an assumption considering that the CEO or manager has never suggested this season that FFP is a reason for the cutbacks.

It is also used as an excuse by some (for some reason) to justify any break in spending, as if it is assumed that we are always on the border of FFP.

The accounts show the losses but not all expenses are eligible under FFP rules. To be honest though its a conversation that has been done a thousand times, if people want to assume that we are continiously spending exactly on the border of FFP regulations then that is fine and a valid opinion against my opinion.

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray having a smaller squad and with less options has gone us well. Can't tinker too much. 

I have no idea who we target for attacker position signing. I just hope it's someone who fits into our style and settle in quickly 

But equally its risky to potentially leave ourselves vulnerable to injuries/suspension/covid. Our depth beyond the first 11 is pretty crap.

• Like 1