BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Well I don't, but it seems a hell of an assumption considering that the CEO or manager has never suggested this season that FFP is a reason for the cutbacks.

It is also used as an excuse by some (for some reason) to justify any break in spending, as if it is assumed that we are always on the border of FFP.

The accounts show the losses but not all expenses are eligible under FFP rules. To be honest though its a conversation that has been done a thousand times, if people want to assume that we are continiously spending exactly on the border of FFP regulations then that is fine and a valid opinion against my opinion.

To be honest I was more interested in what information isn’t in the public domain

Way I see it it is revenue less player/staff spending. All of that’s in the companies house accounts. I’m fairly certain that over this 3 year period we were damn close to breaking the rules, but again I would confer to the account minded posters on it 

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But equally its risky to potentially leave ourselves vulnerable to injuries/suspension/covid. Our depth beyond the first 11 is pretty crap.

You're right.  I think TM has gone cold on TD, so in reality we have BBD who scores and Gally who scores every now and then....so, yes we need a gayle or someone like that to add 10-15 goals

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But equally its risky to potentially leave ourselves vulnerable to injuries/suspension/covid. Our depth beyond the first 11 is pretty crap.

Not really. Plenty of depth in our front options and defenders options. One more attacker and Zeefuik I have more than happy with our options. No reason to stockpile players. 

I think we need a centre midfielder in as priority as I don't want Johnson anywhere near this team. 

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I don't know, why does josh sit down when he goes to the loo..?

7 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Why, does Josh sit down when he goes to the loo?

Really we have to ask, why does someone sit down when they go to the loo?

💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩💩

56 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Sanity Warning: Do not read this article if you have ambition. Utter fecking claptrap. Wooossshh, Oh and there goes my NY resolutions.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Sanity Warning: Do not read this article if you have ambition. Utter fecking claptrap.

If we don’t remotely go for it this window, and completely fall away, I’m really going to struggle to invest in us for a good while as this would tell us everything we need to know about the ambition of the club.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why is it a joke? 

Depends what Mowbray means by lavish spending. 

Plus need to sensible and wise with the permanent signings. 

Chaddy we have brought in 15 million for Armstrong 

16.6 million for the training ground 

Brererton will fetch at least £15 million in the summer 

Yet we are still worrying about FFP.

Its a joke!

Even Mowbray talking about planning for next season.He doesnt sound very confident in our chances of promotion does he?

Forest are spending knowing they can sell Worrall or Johnson in the summer.We are in a much better position in the table than them and have an asset in Brererton.

Plus would you not think it would be wise and sensible using our position in the table to our advantage by attracting players.Players now will see us in 3rd place 

In the summer they will see a club that have lost 4 of their best players.Losing 3 of them for nothing!

Edited by islander200
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Its a joke!

Even Mowbray talking about planning for next season.He doesnt sound very confident in our chances of promotion does he?

Forest are spending knowing they can sell Worrall or Johnson in the summer.We are in a much better position in the table than them and have an asset in Brererton.

Plus would you not think it would be wise and sensible using our position in the table to our advantage by attracting players.Players now will see us in 3rd place 

In the summer they will see a club that have lost 4 of their best players.Losing 3 of them for nothing!

Spot on. 

Do what Forest are doing and hedging new signings off the value of a player that is obviously going to get sold in the summer. 

35 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Its a joke!

(Without wishing to tempt fate) The injury to Dack showed that there is no guarantee we will get £15m for BBD.

I think what some fans who clamour for the club to spend millions to get promoted forget a few things.

1. Our current financial plight is partly down to spending big when we got relegated.

2. If we don't sell any of our soon to be out of contract players, or cash in on BBD at potentially his max value - we are writing off millions. That in itself shows some ambition.

3. It isn't that long ago that people wanted TM out - and few fans would have sanctioned giving him millions to spend. Half a good season doesn't change that.

4. Most fans have said our success is down to the togetherness of the group - with TM having limited options to tinker - forcing a settled team pattern. And yet some would risk that.

I would like to see the odd quality player coming in - but there is a difficult balancing act.

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Its a joke!

Cant see Mowbray staying if we dont go up. Does he have a contract for next season?

7 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

(Without wishing to tempt fate) The injury to Dack showed that there is no guarantee we will get £15m for BBD.

I think what some fans who clamour for the club to spend millions to get promoted forget a few things.

1. Our current financial plight is partly down to spending big when we got relegated.

2. If we don't sell any of our soon to be out of contract players, or cash in on BBD at potentially his max value - we are writing off millions. That in itself shows some ambition.

3. It isn't that long ago that people wanted TM out - and few fans would have sanctioned giving him millions to spend. Half a good season doesn't change that.

4. Most fans have said our success is down to the togetherness of the group - with TM having limited options to tinker - forcing a settled team pattern. And yet some would risk that.

I would like to see the odd quality player coming in - but there is a difficult balancing act.

7 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Im not advocating going overboard but use our position in the table to attract players now.If that means eating into some of the summer budget then so be it.We havent had a chance like this in 10 years.

£4 or £5 million should be made available

• Like 1

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

There's clearly no ambition for the club to go up.  Just like we can't get players in early to give us the best possible chance.  The club is not geared to success. 

Let's just hop the young lads some how pull it out the bag but I can only see a downward trajectory, starting tomorrow.

Happy Friday everyone 😂

• Like 3

Almost unanimously every Rovers can I speak to says this is our best chance of promotion and more importantly a real opportunity to bring serious money into the club. And to achieve this dream we need to strengthen the squad of which we are an injury or two away from disaster. But this morning I read that there really won't be too much (if anything) spent on new players, rather the opposite where we will likely well and almost certainty weaken the squad. Already some of our promotion rivals have strengthened as they see the opportunity that lies ahead.

Half way through the window and we have just been given confirmation that Khadra and Van Hecke are staying for the full season. Heaven knows what would have happened if they had been recalled.

And this mess lies firmly with the owners.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Almost unanimously every Rovers can I speak to says this is our best chance of promotion and more importantly a real opportunity to bring serious money into the club. And to achieve this dream we need to strengthen the squad of which we are an injury or two away from disaster. But this morning I read that there really won't be too much (if anything) spent on new players, rather the opposite where we will likely well and almost certainty weaken the squad. Already some of our promotion rivals have strengthened as they see the opportunity that lies ahead.

Half way through the window and we have just been given confirmation that Khadra and Van Hecke are staying for the full season. Heaven knows what would have happened if they had been recalled.

And this mess lies firmly with the owners.

It’s not a bad mess though is it, third in the league, Dack will be like a new signing.

The academy is booming, our squad is chock full with talent from it.

The main issues for me are contracts but I still don’t understand the “the club have allowed” to run down comment - the players have to sign.

Finally, I was told it was “shit or bust” repeatedly last season so perhaps it’s better not to be presumptuous.

6 minutes ago, JBiz said:

It’s not a bad mess though is it, third in the league, Dack will be like a new signing.

The main issues for me are contracts but I still don’t understand the “the club have allowed” to run down comment - the players have to sign.

Finally, I was told it was “shit or bust” repeatedly last season so perhaps it’s better not to be presumptuous.

The club have allowed the players to run their contracts down.

These contract offers should have been made with 2 years left on their deals.And if they couldnt come to an agreement then you sell the player and replace them with the money recieved

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

That's the reason why we don't want any sales!! That's not a reason for failing to bring in some cover.

Some would risk us fielding an under-strength team as injuries/suspension take hold.

44 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

There's clearly no ambition for the club to go up.  Just like we can't get players in early to give us the best possible chance.  The club is not geared to success. 

Let's just hop the young lads some how pull it out the bag but I can only see a downward trajectory, starting tomorrow.

Happy Friday everyone 😂

Mowbray isn’t saying anything particularly revealing. Clearly the financial situation is far more challenging than many fans want to believe and it’s lazy to simply label it as a lack of ambition.

It’s frustrating but I’ve simultaneously seen the same fans want the club to slash ticket prices, give the out of contract players any salary they want and expect the owners to spend big money in the window. At some point we have to look at running the club sustainability.

If we can keep the out of contract players and BBD during January then we have a chance. Hopefully we can add one or two but realistically that’s as good as it’ll get.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The club have allowed the players to run their contracts down.

These contract offers should have been made with 2 years left on their deals.And if they couldnt come to an agreement then you sell the player and replace them with the money recieved

I’m sure they’ve been in contact/ discussion for well over twelve months?

I also think many would’ve questioned selling any of those 3 in question last January or the summer before that?

12 months ago there was no Armstrong or Plot sale in the bank - how close to sanctions (those apparently I shouldn’t be concerned about) where we? Could we increase the wage bull before these sales or the release of Evans, Bennett etc?

If we’re promoted, as many rightly point out, the funds alone would it easier for us to match or top any contract those 3 “rebels” may have been offered elsewhere.

Hence why it’s a balancing act.

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Mowbray isn’t saying anything particularly revealing. Clearly the financial situation is far more challenging than many fans want to believe and it’s lazy to simply label it as a lack of ambition.

It’s frustrating but I’ve simultaneously seen the same fans want the club to slash ticket prices, give the out of contract players any salary they want and expect the owners to spend big money in the window. At some point we have to look at running the club sustainability.

If we can keep the out of contract players and BBD during January then we have a chance. Hopefully we can add one or two but realistically that’s as good as it’ll get.

I also would add to what you say, about this particular article - I’d rather the club played down / kept “cards close to their chests” than boldly announce a target or “war chest”.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

If the financial situation is bad as suggested then why do we leave it so late to sell Assets.Armstrong sold 1 year left...Brererton sold 1 year left...Rothwell,Nyambe and Lenihen no transfer fees recieved.

18 months of a pandemic, money tight for most.The clubs answer was putting Ticket prices up

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I’m sure they’ve been in contact/ discussion for well over twelve months?

I also think many would’ve questioned selling any of those 3 in question last January or the summer before that?

12 months ago there was no Armstrong or Plot sale in the bank - how close to sanctions (those apparently I shouldn’t be concerned about) where we? Could we increase the wage bull before these sales or the release of Evans, Bennett etc?

If we’re promoted, as many rightly point out, the funds alone would it easier for us to match or top any contract those 3 “rebels” may have been offered elsewhere.

Hence why it’s a balancing act.

People might have questioned it at the time but it would soon be forgotten about if the players replacing them came in and did a good job.

As it stands all 3 be gone for nothing with seemingly no money to replace them.

Come on iv defended the owners myself but after recieving 15 million for Armstrong, the training ground being sold, sat third in the table surely its not unreasonable to expect some money to be spent in this window

26 minutes ago, JBiz said:

It's a real opportunity to get promotion and some investment in players will give us an even better chance. Where we are now will count for absolutely nothing if we don't go up. The Academy is irrelevant to the promotion debate and Dack is going to be a while away from the player he was. 

I was feeling reasonably confident until yesterday as I (perhaps naively) thought the owners would see what the majority see and enhance the opportunity we have for promotion by strengthening. 

I should have known better.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 7