BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

There is the obsession with sanctions even now but there have not been any suggestions from the club that we are on the borderline, we had the training ground sale last year, we have the Armstrong sale this year and a likely Brereton sale next year as a contingency plan.

Often those who bring up FFP try and make out as if the 2 options are total frugality or wild, risk seeking spending. There is a middle ground.

A constructive commitment of less than half of the Armstrong money.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

You can't argue the financial support that Rovers have received from the owners in the past 5 years or can you?

The club needs to be run on a reasonably sustainable financial level but surely everyone must respect that it's not just down to the owners to pull millions out of their back sack?

I

Jack would have done.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Balogun and Arsenal will want guaranteed starts for him.At the moment we can not offer that with the form of Brererton amd Khedra.Boro had a need for fowards to come straight into the first 11

Nkieth went on loan to leeds from Arsenal a few seasons ago, and i dont remember him being that much of a success.

Could always lie and say he’ll get game time… boro got balogun only paying 15% of his wages too, so I’m not having the excuse (if it comes) that the loans were ‘too expensive’.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

There is the obsession with sanctions even now but there have not been any suggestions from the club that we are on the borderline, we had the training ground sale last year, we have the Armstrong sale this year and a likely Brereton sale next year as a contingency plan.

Often those who bring up FFP try and make out as if the 2 options are total frugality or wild, risk seeking spending. There is a middle ground.

I was one of those and il be honest i was totally fed up with Mowbray after last season and didnt want him being given too much money as felt even making the playoffs under his watch was a dream that would never ever become reality.

At the time i could understand the Armstrong sale being used to balance the books but since then we have been made aware of the training ground sale for 16.6 million and Brerertons stock has risen so high none of us could have predicted.

The owners can have no excuse for not releasing a bit of money this window with our position if they really mean that they are "Totally committed to getting the club back to the Premier league"

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Could always lie and say he’ll get game time… boro got balogun only paying 15% of his wages too, so I’m not having the excuse (if it comes) that the loans were ‘too expensive’.

Arsenal aint daft though.They will see us sat 3rd in the league amongst the highest scorers, with the second top scorer in the league and another loanee in Khedra performing admirably.

Boro were in need of front players coming in to the side immedietly.

No guarantee Balagoun will be anything special either.By all accounts Nkieth was rated just as highly and was mediocre at best when on loan at Leeds 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bazza said:

Jack would have done.

I disagree, he didn't and wouldn't have done either. Certainly not unequivocally.

If it may have escaped everyone's attention, that the ultimate financial decision maker with regards to BRFC (and Venkys empire in general) is not Madame Jitendra Desai but her husband ( who copped the snowball!). He is closely followed by Gandhi Babu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

A loan deal sky suggesting

Screenshot_2022-01-13-20-09-02-837_com.bskyb.sportnews.jpg

Markandays contract is up in the summer and talks have stalled apparently (surprise) , as he’s after more game time. 
Doesn’t make sense to me for this to be a loan in that case, as it surely wouldn’t take a massive fee to bring him in, unless it’s another loan with option to buy

Edited by Tugayisgod

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Just playing devils advocate:

In August last, who would have imagined that we'd be challenging for automatic promotion at the mid season stage, never mind play-offs?

I'd say the current powers that be have earned the right to continue on the path that they are currently on this season, whatever that may be and wherever that may ultimately lead us.

Last August, I'd have been happy to finish 16th this season!

By powers that be, do you mean the owners, Waggott, the manager, or all of the above?

Absolutely agree with your sentiments though. We just need to enjoy the ride and hope it continues.

27 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I disagree, he didn't and wouldn't have done either. Certainly not unequivocally.

If it may have escaped everyone's attention, that the ultimate financial decision maker with regards to BRFC (and Venkys empire in general) is not Madame Jitendra Desai but her husband ( who copped the snowball!). He is closely followed by Gandhi Babu.

With respect, I think you are misunderstanding the Venkys family dynamics and the cultural protocol. Have you confused Jitendra Desai with Anuradha Desai? Anuradha is the person we have come to refer to as “Madame”, which is how she is referred to by staff.

Anuradha Desai (Chair) is the oldest child of Venkys founder, Bandra Rao. By that fact alone, she controls the Venkys empire including BRFCS. Both the husbands of Anuradha and Jitendra are not blood related to Bandra and therefore do not have anything like the same say. Venkatesh (Vice Chair) and Balaji (MD) are the two sons, Balaji the one believed to be the one who pushed for the purchase of Rovers although this has never been publicly confirmed. 

13 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Sky mentioning that Neco Williams may need to go out on loan to get some match time. He’d be a full back I’d be happy to see here for the rest of the season.

He's truly awful and was resoundly slated when he was last mentioned. He's worse than Nyambe and presumably the incoming Dutch lad.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Markandays contract is up in the summer and talks have stalled apparently (surprise) , as he’s after more game time. 
Doesn’t make sense to me for this to be a loan in that case, as it surely wouldn’t take a massive fee to bring him in, unless it’s another loan with option to buy

They have offered him a new deal and given him a little gametime in Europe.Even if he refuses the new deal they would still be due compensation at tribunal.

A loan move and gametime could see them recieve a higher fee at tribunal.He seems rated there

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

By powers that be, do you mean the owners, Waggott, the manager, or all of the above?

Absolutely agree with your sentiments though. We just need to enjoy the ride and hope it continues.

All of the above for now, despite anything previous.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

We will see. It is a reasonable expectation to expect that if the owners genuinely do give a shit, that after the Armstrong sale, with us 3rd in the league and looking light in terms of the squad, that they invest between 2/3-4m on new signings to give it a reasonable go.

You can keep bringing the owners into this but given how much the club losing each season, I would think most of that money will go towards meeting FFP rules. 

BUT the truth we don't know what budget Mowbray has got to spend this window and he will keep his cards very close to his chest just like he always does. Did it last season with Pickering deal or few seasons ago with Brereton deal. 

We are not in a position to let any senior players go.

I wouldn't want Johnson in the side for any length period of time, he should never play in defence and I would like someone to be brought into central midfield ahead of both Johnson and Davenport.

Well we have to disagree on this. I will look to move him on. He isn't asset to the team anymore. 

I think we will bring in centre midfielder in before the deadline. Who or what style of midfielder we should I will leave to Mowbray and Rovers to decide. 

Markanday has never played senior football, we need players for the here and now to help us get results in the next 5 months.

If he comes in as our only attacking signing then it would leave us in basically the same position as we have gone into the window. And if that is a loan and our market of affordability is kids with no senior experience on loan at such an important time with the Armstrong money nestling in the pocket of the owners, that would be piss poor.

Well he has played 4 senior games, 3 in the EFL trophy and 1 in UEFA conference league. 

Not sure how good he is and whether he would fit our system and style. 

• Backroom
38 minutes ago, J*B said:

With respect, I think you are misunderstanding the Venkys family dynamics and the cultural protocol. Have you confused Jitendra Desai with Anuradha Desai? Anuradha is the person we have come to refer to as “Madame”, which is how she is referred to by staff.

Anuradha Desai (Chair) is the oldest child of Venkys founder, Bandra Rao. By that fact alone, she controls the Venkys empire including BRFCS. Both the husbands of Anuradha and Jitendra are not blood related to Bandra and therefore do not have anything like the same say. Venkatesh (Vice Chair) and Balaji (MD) are the two sons, Balaji the one believed to be the one who pushed for the purchase of Rovers although this has never been publicly confirmed. 

WHAT?! 😂😂

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, J*B said:

Yeh, I made a boob in terms of Madame's husband, well done on pointing it out, thanks.

Do you get the general drift?!!!

Alternatively mate, think what you want!

Edited by darrenrover

17 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Absolutely sick of loans, even when they work they are just patching over holes in our own squad. Can't we sign some players who we can develop ourselves. 

I wouldn't say we are doing too bad on that front. Few teams in the league have got as good home grown players as us. 

Mowbray has done very well in the last two seasons on loans. Khadra, Van Hecke, Elliott, Taylor Harwood-Bellis, Tosin all very good. 

Really disappointed that we seem not to be spending any money at all.... Don't want a "big name" player like Oli Burke. Will disrupt us in the dressing room and financially. But we should be picking up quality young players who are growing like O'Reilly seems to be.

• Like 3

My second point is that I think that IF we don't spend a reasonable amount in this window, perhaps 3-4m, maybe even 2-3m, a fraction of the Armstrong money, considering the situation we find our self in and also the lack of depth that we have, it would say a lot about the ambition (or lack of) of the owners.

The January window is a strange one. Teams can often expect a premium but there are also lots of players about with 6 months on their deals who we could look to attract.

Surely this depends who will sign in this window regardless of the money spent. We can sign a couple of players like Hedges and attacker who cost very little due to their contract being up in the summer. We might be looking in the foreign market for an attacker. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

We don't need to the club to comment as people can work it from the ckubs accounts, information already in the public domain and other clubs who have failed FFP rules. 

The reason that we didn't expect to be in this position isn't part of a masterplan by the owners that we didn't notice. The owners didn't show the levels of interest to judge the manager on his results last season, nor to provide a competitive budget, leaving us a star striker and a number of players short and with 4 cheap loanees and a cheap sub left back coming in. Sometimes the stars align, the manager has unexpectedly done brilliantly to cast aside any thoughts of stubbornness and change the tactics and also come up with a formation that has worked really well. Add that to a number of players either staying fit, coming to the fore and of course chuck in the Brereton story and things are going well.

But now we are very much in a brilliant position to push for promotion, so now is the time to strike whilst he iron is hot. If by the current powers you mean the owners, then they certainly have not ever earned the right for us to trust them. The manager has called out for resources to boost the squad, rivals are strengthening, not having a reasonable budget will not be a master stroke, and any success after that would be further credit to the manager and in spite of that decision. Alternatively, if they choose to give a few million to spend, then they would be credited for showing some ambition.

If we show real ambition it may persuade our contract rebels to sign new contracts. 

• Like 2