BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

Like the Irish lad, Markanday is the hope of jam tomorrow. Neither of them are going to help us get promoted. I'm very disappointed we haven't put a marker down yet to show we're seriously going for promotion. 

Will Spurs really be open to selling him?Cant say im convinced this would be anything other than a loan deal.

He made his debut in the Europa conference league coming on for the last 15 minute v Vitesse.

He seems to be seen as one of their more brighter prospects and they are trying to get him tied down to a new contract.

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't think we are skint at all but I think we will sign at least 1 permanent signing if not 2 in this window. 

On the O'Riley link, it appears that Swansea are favourite to sign him and I guess thats down to Russell Martin knowing him 

We will see. It is a reasonable expectation to expect that if the owners genuinely do give a shit, that after the Armstrong sale, with us 3rd in the league and looking light in terms of the squad, that they invest between 2/3-4m on new signings to give it a reasonable go.

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Don't know much about O'Riley apart from a few highlights on Youtube from MK Dons account. 

I think we should show Johnson the door. 

We are not in a position to let any senior players go.

I wouldn't want Johnson in the side for any length period of time, he should never play in defence and I would like someone to be brought into central midfield ahead of both Johnson and Davenport.

But we will get injures, covid absentees, suspensions etc and we need more players, not less. He brings experience and has contributed a few times off the bench in our winning run.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Like the Irish lad, Markanday is the hope of jam tomorrow. Neither of them are going to help us get promoted. I'm very disappointed we haven't put a marker down yet to show we're seriously going for promotion. 

I would rather a more experienced player and of course it would be a gamble.But would we not have said the exact same abouk Khedra, he wont help us get promoted?

8 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Didn't Mowbray the other day say they're looking to sign young strikers on permanent deals to develop and sell on? 

He did and seemingly repeated today about polishing players up. No problem with that, although it does also say that he was in contract negotiations with Tottenham as if that might hold things up.

As long as it is as well as a more ready made striker for the here and now, as this next 5 months is the most important.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Markanday has never played senior football, we need players for the here and now to help us get results in the next 5 months.

Mowbray mentions polishing players but it also mentions him about to sign a new deal at Spurs potentially so unclear on the terms of any deal.

If it is a permanent deal in addition to someone else, Mowbray mentioned about developing players before so to have him on the edges of things with another more ready made forward could be a good thing.

If he comes in as our only attacking signing then it would leave us in basically the same position as we have gone into the window. And if that is a loan and our market of affordability is kids with no senior experience on loan at such an important time with the Armstrong money nestling in the pocket of the owners, that would be piss poor.

OK well 2 loan signings at the moment are 2 of our best players and both absolutely key to our current league position. On that basis not sure why you're dismissing a loan move, I'd certainly welcome another if he can come in and do a job.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Will Spurs really be open to selling him?Cant say im convinced this would be anything other than a loan deal.

He made his debut in the Europa conference league coming on for the last 15 minute v Vitesse.

He seems to be seen as one of their more brighter prospects and they are trying to get him tied down to a new contract.

The Rich Sharpe article certainly seemed to suggest that it would be a loan and it was't happening yet as Spurs were looking to tie him down to a longer contract first.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

OK well 2 loan signings at the moment are 2 of our best players and both absolutely key to our current league position. On that basis not sure why you're dismissing a loan move, I'd certainly welcome another if he can come in and do a job.

I am not dismissing loans, I have I think more than many been very positive towards the idea of clubs on limited budgets at Championship utilising the loan market like we have done in the last few years, the key is ultimately to get players that are better than we could otherwise afford. 

My points firstly on the individual are that he has not played any first team football. Elliott had played a bit, Adarabioyo had played a season, Reed a bit more than that, Harwood Bellis only a few cup games, so I am not ruling out that if this Spurs lad did join, that he could have an immediate impact, but it is so hard to know. It is impossible to judge a player's performance and readiness for a first team environment when playing in the sanitised environment of kids football. Him as a permanent development project (around the first team obviously otherwise he wouldn't come) as well as a loan signing for the here and now might be the way to go perhaps. 

My second point is that I think that IF we don't spend a reasonable amount in this window, perhaps 3-4m, maybe even 2-3m, a fraction of the Armstrong money, considering the situation we find our self in and also the lack of depth that we have, it would say a lot about the ambition (or lack of) of the owners.

The January window is a strange one. Teams can often expect a premium but there are also lots of players about with 6 months on their deals who we could look to attract.

Boro managed to sign Folarin Balogun from Arsenal on loan. Wages permitting, if we're going to get someone on loan, we should be looking for that kind of level.

If we're going for the slightly lower level loan signing, I think deals should be done in anticipation of potentially seeking a permanent deal. It worked brilliantly with Tom Cairney and can be a way of testing a player before spending big money. "Polishing up" players for the benefit of other clubs doesn't seem sustainable as a strategy. It's hard to develop and build a squad when key players are coming and going every half or full season - and then the benefit of the loan deal - and the financial outlay, redounds to other clubs. It starts to act as a subsidy from Rovers for Prem clubs' youth development.

In other words, I believe Rovers should either be loaning in the best (Folarin Balogun eg.) or, players who might become available and fit into Rovers wage structure, as permanent recruits. In the latter case, the expenditure becomes more of a longer-term investment and there's potential for a sell-on transfer fee.

Moreover, I wish Mowbray would wax enthusiastic about polishing up his own fringe and youth players, as much as he does the Prem loanees that he likes to laud. I don't see that kind of consideration going to his own squad members.

PS. Rovers haven't made an announcement on Poveda, as far as I can tell, so it looks like we might end up paying his wages and loan fees for the rest of the season, though he's unavailable and doing rehab at Leeds.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Boro managed to sign Folarin Balogun from Arsenal on loan. Wages permitting, if we're going to get someone on loan, we should be looking for that kind of level.

If we're going for the slightly lower level loan signing, I think deals should be done in anticipation of potentially seeking a permanent deal. It worked brilliantly with Tom Cairney and can be a way of testing a player before spending big money. "Polishing up" players for the benefit of other clubs doesn't seem sustainable as a strategy. It's hard to develop and build a squad when key players are coming and going every half or full season - and then the benefit of the loan deal - and the financial outlay, redounds to other clubs. It starts to act as a subsidy from Rovers for Prem clubs' youth development.

In other words, I believe Rovers should either be loaning in the best (Folarin Balogun eg.) or, players who might become available and fit into Rovers wage structure. In the latter case, the expenditure becomes more of a longer-term investment.

Moreover, I wish Mowbray would wax enthusiastic about polishing up his own fringe and youth players, as much as he does the Prem loanees that he likes to laud. I don't see that kind of consideration going to his own squad members.

PS. Rovers haven't made an announcement on Poveda, as far as I can tell, so it looks like we might end up paying his wages and loan fees for the rest of the season, though he's unavailable and doing rehab at Leeds.

Balogun and Arsenal will want guaranteed starts for him.At the moment we can not offer that with the form of Brererton amd Khedra.Boro had a need for fowards to come straight into the first 11

Nkieth went on loan to leeds from Arsenal a few seasons ago, and i dont remember him being that much of a success.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Markanday has never played senior football, we need players for the here and now to help us get results in the next 5 months.

Mowbray mentions polishing players but it also mentions him about to sign a new deal at Spurs potentially so unclear on the terms of any deal.

If it is a permanent deal in addition to someone else, Mowbray mentioned about developing players before so to have him on the edges of things with another more ready made forward could be a good thing.

If he comes in as our only attacking signing then it would leave us in basically the same position as we have gone into the window. And if that is a loan and our market of affordability is kids with no senior experience on loan at such an important time with the Armstrong money nestling in the pocket of the owners, that would be piss poor.

Just playing devils advocate:

In August last, who would have imagined that we'd be challenging for automatic promotion at the mid season stage, never mind play-offs?

I'd say the current powers that be have earned the right to continue on the path that they are currently on this season, whatever that may be and wherever that may ultimately lead us.

Last August, I'd have been happy to finish 16th this season!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, darrenrover said:

In August last, who would have imagined that we'd be challenging for automatic promotion at the mid season stage, never mind play-offs?

I'd say the current powers that be have earned the right to continue on the path that they are currently on this season, whatever that may be and wherever that may ultimately lead us.

The reason that we didn't expect to be in this position isn't part of a masterplan by the owners that we didn't notice. The owners didn't show the levels of interest to judge the manager on his results last season, nor to provide a competitive budget, leaving us a star striker and a number of players short and with 4 cheap loanees and a cheap sub left back coming in. Sometimes the stars align, the manager has unexpectedly done brilliantly to cast aside any thoughts of stubbornness and change the tactics and also come up with a formation that has worked really well. Add that to a number of players either staying fit, coming to the fore and of course chuck in the Brereton story and things are going well.

But now we are very much in a brilliant position to push for promotion, so now is the time to strike whilst he iron is hot. If by the current powers you mean the owners, then they certainly have not ever earned the right for us to trust them. The manager has called out for resources to boost the squad, rivals are strengthening, not having a reasonable budget will not be a master stroke, and any success after that would be further credit to the manager and in spite of that decision. Alternatively, if they choose to give a few million to spend, then they would be credited for showing some ambition.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

If we don't strengthen appropriately we probably will. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The reason that we didn't expect to be in this position isn't part of a masterplan by the owners that we didn't notice. The owners didn't show the levels of interest to judge the manager on his results last season, nor to provide a competitive budget, leaving us a star striker and a number of players short and with 4 cheap loanees and a cheap sub left back coming in. Sometimes the stars align, the manager has unexpectedly done brilliantly to cast aside any thoughts of stubbornness and change the tactics and also come up with a formation that has worked really well. Add that to a number of players either staying fit, coming to the fore and of course chuck in the Brereton story and things are going well.

But now we are very much in a brilliant position to push for promotion, so now is the time to strike whilst he iron is hot. If by the current powers you mean the owners, then they certainly have not ever earned the right for us to trust them. The manager has called out for resources to boost the squad, rivals are strengthening, not having a reasonable budget will not be a master stroke, and any success after that would be further credit to the manager and in spite of that decision. Alternatively, if they choose to give a few million to spend, then they would be credited for showing some ambition.

I don't get your point.

Do you honestly think The Raos know a decent goalkeeper from a bad one, a decent right back from a duffer? You can't argue the financial support that Rovers have received from the owners in the past 5 years or can you?

The club needs to be run on a reasonably sustainable financial level but surely everyone must respect that it's not just down to the owners to pull millions out of their back sack?

It irks me to say it but we need gates of 20,000 plus at Ewood every other week!

• Like 1

This talk of getting in experienced players for the promotion push sounds good, but surely its going to cost $$$.

It sounds like we will spend some money this window but prudently , on players with potential.

What TM said today about transfers , I personally found positive. 

"Young players that you polish up and in a year or so they think ‘wow, where’s he come from?’

“You have to see the raw talent with these players and there are a few young players on our radar"

Thats not talking about loans with no option at the end .

It wouldn't surprise me if money is available again for investment players like previously BBD , AA , Dack ,SG .

As despite SG not hitting it  , the others have been good investments and worked out well. 

I know nothing but hopeful there will be investment. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

That doesn't mean to say we should negate our best chance in a decade by failing to strengthen.

Whether at the start of the season we thought we'd be in this position now or not is completely irrelevant. We are where we are and Imo we definitely need  strengthening quite significantly if we're to have an outside shot at at automatic promotion.

Even to finish top six I think we need quite a bit of squad reinforcement as the depth outside the first X1 is paper thin and teams behind us seem to be gearing up already in anticipation.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I don't get your point.

Do you honestly think The Raos know a decent goalkeeper from a bad one, a decent right back from a duffer? You can't argue the financial support that Rovers have received from the owners in the past 5 years or can you?

The club needs to be run on a reasonably sustainable financial level but surely everyone must respect that it's not just down to the owners to pull millions out of their back sack?

It irks me to say it but we need gates of 20,000 plus at Ewood every other week!

I don't want to get into a big debate over the merits of the owners. Obviously it is not their job to differentiate between positions etc. They cover the losses that are incurred which are much higher than they need to be down to their own negligence, their "financial support" isn't them throwing money fuelled by ambition. But a few points:

- We make such big losses because of Venkys. No joined up thinking, no long term plan. The ideal model would be that we can sell on assets, buy again and repeat the process, but because of such a strict wage ceiling, those assets are allowed to run down their contracts.

- We have a net spend this season of over minus 10 million, plus considerable wage savings. A fraction of that spend at a point in which we have a good chance of promotion is a small risk for a potentially gigantic reward.

- The owners have appointed and left in charge an incompetent CEO who doesn't understand the town nor the buying habits of the fanbase. You seem to imply that it is the supporters responsibility without saying as such, either way that is a common illogical way of looking for it. There are different types of supporters at EVERY club, the hardcore who go regardless, a minority in boycott, those who would go but for personal circumstances/time, those who would but can't afford, and the floating fans who need enticing. It is only the clubs responsibility and no one elses to get attendances high. Our policies for years have been terrible, why haven't Venkys replaced Waggott?

I am not expecting or asking for huge purchases, big wages and big risks. A fraction of the Armstrong sale invested on maybe a couple of permanent and a couple of high quality loanees to boost the squad which is very light and weak beyond the first 11. We also have a likely Brereton sale in the summer if we don't go up so with 2 summers making us so much money from only 2 players, we should go all out to get Nyambe, Rothwell, Lenihan and Travis signed too. We are in an unprecedented position under Venkys, and promotion would be a gamechanger.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We make such big losses because of Venkys.

Does every other Championship Club make huge losses because of Venkys too or are we totally unique?

With respect everyone needs to bin this argument and mindset and move on (IMO).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't recall a single occasion that the manager has flown around the world to meet with Balaji. 

I've no doubt he has a more 'hands on' role than the others in terms of interest in the club but when it comes to cold hard cash and funding it is clear that managers have always needed to get through to Mr and Mrs Desai.

Snake Kean worked out quickly where the power lies.

No visit to India since 2019 puts Mowbray on thin ice and no coincidence that since then buys have been low cost (if anything) and sales have started.

All my opinion and belief based on what we've seen over the last 10 years. Some might call it a conspiracy theory but I think it makes perfect sense and until Mowbray can get around a table with them cash will be very limited, as will new contracts.

You might be right, and staying away from Desai hasn’t done us any harm seemingly! 

I may be in the minority but I’d rather we didn’t throw everything at this season, I’d rather we build but stay away from the prospect of sanctions, if that is possible.

16 minutes ago, JBiz said:

You might be right, and staying away from Desai hasn’t done us any harm seemingly! 

I may be in the minority but I’d rather we didn’t throw everything at this season, I’d rather we build but stay away from the prospect of sanctions, if that is possible.

Like you i wouldnt go full tilt.

But with the fall back of a Brererton sale i dont see why £5 or so million couldnt be invested in this window.

Be daft not to spend this window and then give a decent kitty in the summer after losing out on promotion and then selling Brererton.

We are in a very good position in the table right now and players will find us an attractive proposition with a chance of promotion.

• Like 2