BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

10 hours ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Extra office space, retail and hospitality? We barely use the available hospitality space in the stadium as it is. The Darwen End hospitality area has been empty on match days for years. A hotel is the only idea I’ve heard about but until we’re back in the pl, we can’t justify a new riverside.

Another suggestion of ways of increasing revenues poo-pooed.

Can't do this, won't do that.

For a club supposedly hamstrung by FFP restrictions I would expect more efforts to maximise revenues yet as you say - a large hospitality area in the Darwen End stood empty every week.

It could be used. Just like there are many, many, many other ways the club could grow income to held deal with FFP issues. A few suggestions:

- Appoint a competent commercial director. We had one with Dave Biggar who delivered the lucrative Dafabet deal and then he wasn't replaced when he left

- Maximise the use of our good facilities - open the Darwen End up for use on matchdays. I went to Charlton last time we played there and the lounge behind their home end - similar to Darwen End - absolutely packed with fans drinking reasonably priced beer (In London yet cheaper than it is for a beer at Rovers)

- Develop new facilities and new ways to bring in income. Not necessarily hospitality space but also conferencing rooms, office space, gym, hotel, etc. etc. etc.

- The Club shop is now out of most adult sizes of replica shirts 2 weeks before Xmas with 6 months of the season left to run. I don't accept Covid excuses (go to any other Championship club and they will have stock) and I don't accept this is down to unprecedented demand. It is down to the club hedging its bets and only ordering small quantities of kit. More money missed out on.

- As I mentioned yesterday we could host England U23 fixtures and get good crowds on watching. Instead they go to Burnley which is an inferior stadium in a less advantageous location.

None of these things are done because they require planning and investment. Much easier to do nothing, let the stadium deteriorate, wail and whinge about no money and FFP and limited income. Do something about it then.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, booth said:

I remember him on the the pitch at the end of a season saying he’d buy us a new stand if we kept supporting the team. Good times.

I remember he said it as if we qualified for Europe that season. Which we did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Another suggestion of ways of increasing revenues poo-pooed.

Can't do this, won't do that.

For a club supposedly hamstrung by FFP restrictions I would expect more efforts to maximise revenues yet as you say - a large hospitality area in the Darwen End stood empty every week.

It could be used. Just like there are many, many, many other ways the club could grow income to held deal with FFP issues. A few suggestions:

- Appoint a competent commercial director. We had one with Dave Biggar who delivered the lucrative Dafabet deal and then he wasn't replaced when he left

- Maximise the use of our good facilities - open the Darwen End up for use on matchdays. I went to Charlton last time we played there and the lounge behind their home end - similar to Darwen End - absolutely packed with fans drinking reasonably priced beer (In London yet cheaper than it is for a beer at Rovers)

- Develop new facilities and new ways to bring in income. Not necessarily hospitality space but also conferencing rooms, office space, gym, hotel, etc. etc. etc.

- The Club shop is now out of most adult sizes of replica shirts 2 weeks before Xmas with 6 months of the season left to run. I don't accept Covid excuses (go to any other Championship club and they will have stock) and I don't accept this is down to unprecedented demand. It is down to the club hedging its bets and only ordering small quantities of kit. More money missed out on.

- As I mentioned yesterday we could host England U23 fixtures and get good crowds on watching. Instead they go to Burnley which is an inferior stadium in a less advantageous location.

None of these things are done because they require planning and investment. Much easier to do nothing, let the stadium deteriorate, wail and whinge about no money and FFP and limited income. Do something about it then.

Like when he opened the ‘1875 lounge’ in the Darwen End with just the standard concourse cheap lager and ‘dark fruits’ on tap at the usual ridiculous prices. All within a conference type room far more sterile than the not exactly bouncing Blues Bar, and was surprised when no bugger went in it. 

Get some rotating ales on, open it up for large away followings so they don’t all head for the Fernhurst etc etc etc. All sorts you can do with our existing infrastructure. But nah, all half hearted ‘initiatives’, and shrugged shoulders all round when they don’t work.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

Appoint a competent commercial director

We have just appointed a new commercial director in recent months

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

'other sources' - who? Can you name anyone who has this information and has shared it publicly?

People clearly know people close to the players who have been offered these new improve contracts but you still won't accept what others have said for your theory that we haven't offered them any new contracts

Develop new facilities and new ways to bring in income. Not necessarily hospitality space but also conferencing rooms, office space, gym, hotel, etc. etc. etc.

Would a hotel in Blackburn even be needed? 

Isn't their already office space in Darwen end? 

Did you the sales figures of the current season shirts compare to other seasons and How many did the club order given how popular the shirts have been? 

As I mentioned yesterday we could host England U23 fixtures and get good crowds on watching. Instead they go to Burnley which is an inferior stadium in a less advantageous location.

How many attend the under 23 game at Turf Moor and how much did they make after the England FA took their share? 

• Backroom
2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not quite, we appointed a Head of Commercial but he isn't a director to my knowledge.

Edited by Mike E

5 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Not quite, we appointed a Head of Commercial but he isn't a director to my knowledge.

being technically again Mike but we did appointed a new person to run and improve the commercial side of the club

Edited by chaddyrovers

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

People clearly know people close to the players who have been offered these new improve contracts but you still won't accept what others have said for your theory that we haven't offered them any new contracts

Would a hotel in Blackburn even be needed? 

Isn't their already office space in Darwen end? 

Did you the sales figures of the current season shirts compare to other seasons and How many did the club order given how popular the shirts have been? 

How many attend the under 23 game at Turf Moor and how much did they make after the England FA took their share? 

Key words - competent and director.

Pretty sure the new guy isn't a director. He might be 'Head of Commercial' or whatever but he isn't a club director.

I'm not sure how competent he is, suppose only time will tell but I've noticed no change since he came in.

"People clearly know people close to the players" - fine - who are these people?

Yes a hotel in Blackburn would be needed. I understand the ones already there are regularly sold out and that is why recently they have built new ones including the Hilton at Whitebirk. We could have had a slice of that action but did nothing.

Yes there is office space in the Darwen End. So make some more.

I don't know nor care what sales figures on kits are or how many were ordered. Fact of the matter is that they are now sold out less than half way through the season with seemingly little chance of any new stock for the foreseeable.

Last to get them released and on sale and then sold out in November suggests to me there is a problem somewhere along the line.

I have no idea how much Burnley made. Does it matter? Suffice to say they weren't doing it for free and will have taken something home for their ground being used.

I thought we were desperate for money? So hosting England U23s would generate some.

Presumably another one to add to the list of things we can't do at Can't Do FC.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Key words - competent and director.

Pretty sure the new guy isn't a director. He might be 'Head of Commercial' or whatever but he isn't a club director.

I'm not sure how competent he is, suppose only time will tell but I've noticed no change since he came in.

Well maybe look at CV on LinkedIn and see his experience and knowledge. I guess he is currently busy finding a new shirt sponsor for next season. Thats the main priority at the minute

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

"People clearly know people close to the players" - fine - who are these people?

Well people don't want to post details on here so maybe just accept people word for once JH

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Yes a hotel in Blackburn would be needed. I understand the ones already there are regularly sold out and that is why recently they have built new ones including the Hilton at Whitebirk. We could have had a slice of that action but did nothing.

is the one at Whitebrik even that busy? 

Plus where would this hotel be built at Ewood? 

9 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't know nor care what sales figures on kits are or how many were ordered. Fact of the matter is that they are now sold out less than half way through the season with seemingly little chance of any new stock for the foreseeable.

Well of course the sales figures matter JH and its time you look into these things or asked questions the club. and I would guess that we have increases sales of the shirts this season compare to previous season. Well given the supply issues from China is one of the reason we haven't any new stock and I would imagine they are focusing on making new season shirts ready for the summer. 

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I have no idea how much Burnley made. Does it matter? Suffice to say they weren't doing it for free and will have taken something home for their ground being used.

I thought we were desperate for money? So hosting England U23s would generate some.

Of course it matters cos if its not cost effective then there is no point in hosting the under 23 games. The FA will take the majority of it for sure given the state of their finances at the FA

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well maybe look at CV on LinkedIn and see his experience and knowledge. I guess he is currently busy finding a new shirt sponsor for next season. Thats the main priority at the minute

Well people don't want to post details on here so maybe just accept people word for once JH

is the one at Whitebrik even that busy? 

Plus where would this hotel be built at Ewood? 

Well of course the sales figures matter JH and its time you look into these things or asked questions the club. and I would guess that we have increases sales of the shirts this season compare to previous season. Well given the supply issues from China is one of the reason we haven't any new stock and I would imagine they are focusing on making new season shirts ready for the summer. 

Of course it matters cos if its not cost effective then there is no point in hosting the under 23 games. The FA will take the majority of it for sure given the state of their finances at the FA

In reverse order this time.

If it wasn't cost effective then nobody would host U23 games.

There are loads of places a hotel could be built but my original point was in relation to a new Riverside stand and the suggestion we don't need the additional facilities that could provide - a hotel is one example of ways of using such space without needing to increase capacity of the stadium.

Are Man Utd and Liverpool club shops unable to stock adult shirts at the moment? I only ask because they also import their stock from the far east so not sure how they have coped with supply issues.

And finally no I won't just accept what people on here say. If i believed everything I read on the internet the world would be very different for me. I tend to rely more on my own interpretation and understanding of things, along with joining the dots and past experience.

Very easy to be made a fool of if you just accept what people tell you without question. This is how people like Waggott operate with fans hanging off his every word without question.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JHRover said:

You can't just give the FA a call and say "we're ready to host a youth game here at Ewood" and them go - "oh okay, Switzerland on the 18th?". It doesn't work that way

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

You can't just give the FA a call and say "we're ready to host a youth game here at Ewood" and them go - "oh okay, Switzerland on the 18th?". It doesn't work that way

Which way does it work then? Why is Burnley seen as a better venue than Rovers for such relatively prestigious fixtures?

I would suspect that part of it is down to having friends in high places at the FA - for example Southgate's Middlesbrough connections ensuring the Riverside hosted 2 senior friendlies recently - but there will also be an element of proactivity about it - putting the name out there and embracing the prospect of doing it.

I'm sure you'll explain to me a collection of reasons why we can't do it. Can't Do FC are good at finding reasons why things can't happen instead of just getting on with it.

Can't spend money

Can't get a new pitch

Can't sell more tickets

Can't get better crowds

Can't make new signings

Can't cope with FFP rules

Can't, Can't Can't.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 8

24 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Which way does it work then? Why is Burnley seen as a better venue than Rovers for such relatively prestigious fixtures?

I would suspect that part of it is down to having friends in high places at the FA - for example Southgate's Middlesbrough connections ensuring the Riverside hosted 2 senior friendlies recently - but there will also be an element of proactivity about it - putting the name out there and embracing the prospect of doing it.

I'm sure you'll explain to me a collection of reasons why we can't do it. Can't Do FC are good at finding reasons why things can't happen instead of just getting on with it.

Can't spend money - Who says we cant spend money?

Can't get a new pitch - pitch was renovated at a lower cost than first thought and will be fully replaced at the end of the season. The priority was the training pitches.

Can't sell more tickets - we can though, the fans just wont buy them for all sorts of reasons.

Can't get better crowds - see above.

Can't make new signings - yes we can however as the transfer window is closed you are right, we cant YET!

Can't cope with FFP rules - yes we can we are fully compliant hence no penalties and no points deductions and even better NO WARNINGS!

Can't, Can't Can't. - wrong wrong wrong (AGAIN!)

Can't spend money - Who says we cant spend money?

Can't get a new pitch - pitch was renovated at a lower cost than first thought and will be fully replaced at the end of the season. The priority was the training pitches.

Can't sell more tickets - we can though, the fans just wont buy them for all sorts of reasons.

Can't get better crowds - see above.

Can't make new signings - yes we can however as the transfer window is closed you are right, we cant YET!

Can't cope with FFP rules - yes we can we are fully compliant hence no penalties and no points deductions and even better NO WARNINGS!

Can't, Can't Can't. - wrong wrong wrong (AGAIN!)

Responses in RED

Edited by 1864roverite
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Can't sell more tickets - we can though, the fans just wont buy them for all sorts of reasons.

Hang on, haven’t you kept saying that Swag and the whole commercial operation is crap at Ewood?

Yet here you are saying fans just won’t put money into the club, so what difference will a better commercial team make then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1864roverite said:

Can't spend money - Who says we cant spend money?

Can't get a new pitch - pitch was renovated at a lower cost than first thought and will be fully replaced at the end of the season. The priority was the training pitches.

Can't make new signings - yes we can however as the transfer window is closed you are right, we cant YET!

Can't cope with FFP rules - yes we can we are fully compliant hence no penalties and no points deductions and even better NO WARNINGS!

Responses in RED

Oh dear.

We can't spend money - the theory goes that our owners can and will invest but are being prevented from doing so. A quick look at our transfer dealings over the last 18 months tells us all we need to know on that front.

Can't get a new pitch - thanks for confirming just that - we didn't get one! Waggott got carried away in January when it was a mess telling everyone what he was going to do about it and then we just got the renovation. Now you reckon a new one is coming next summer? You believe that?

We can't sell more tickets and that is why gates have collapsed. Aside from the derby match v Preston and the special offer of Sheff United gates have been appalling at Ewood and I'm not comparing to the PL days I'm comparing to the heady heights of 2014 under Gary Bowyer in the Championship.

Astonishing that anyone would see the issue on ticket sales as being 'fans who won't buy them for all sorts of reasons'. About time the club took responsibility for those reasons.

Like any other business the customers vote with their feet. A failing business loses customers by the bucketload. A business that recognises why can turn it around. A business that keeps repeating the same mistakes and thinks it is doing all it can and blames customers for not coming will fail.

Can't cope with FFP rules - we had to sell our training ground all of a sudden in a desperate last minute attempt to avoid sanctions (or so the story goes). That tells me we can't cope with it. Fully compliant thanks to flogging the crown jewels to a different company.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Hang on, haven’t you kept saying that Swag and the whole commercial operation is crap at Ewood?

Yet here you are saying fans just won’t put money into the club, so what difference will a better commercial team make then?

I have reiterated my views to the club about the clear and apparent lack of commercial nouse and an unwillingness to engage with the support. I am assured there are happenings going on behind the scenes as the club attempts to recover from the last 2 years and I am hopeful that the new "commercial team" will actually engage with a view to improving all aspects of that side of the football club.

In saying that I still retain a view that the fans have a part to play in helping the club regain an even better footing financial wise and indeed alongside those views and of course akin to the success of the team on the pitch, I do not see many reasons why the fans cannot come back to Ewood. I have voiced my discontent about the owners but they are no longer an excuse NOT to support the team from the terraces. Any Rovers fan with the club at heart can see through the haze of hatred for the owners, they can look beyond the poor football at times over the last few years, they can see through the glazed views of some fans who despise everything about the relegation/promotion and an apparent regression and they can almost certainly see past the poor runs and a 7-0 loss at home. 

Its about supporting the club through thick and thin.

If we see success on the pitch like we are seeing with the young players and if we see an improvement commercially wise then what excuses are left for fans not to come to the ground?

Thats the point I was trying to make.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Oh dear.

We can't spend money - the theory goes that our owners can and will invest but are being prevented from doing so. A quick look at our transfer dealings over the last 18 months tells us all we need to know on that front.

Can't get a new pitch - thanks for confirming just that - we didn't get one! Waggott got carried away in January when it was a mess telling everyone what he was going to do about it and then we just got the renovation. Now you reckon a new one is coming next summer? You believe that?

We can't sell more tickets and that is why gates have collapsed. Aside from the derby match v Preston and the special offer of Sheff United gates have been appalling at Ewood and I'm not comparing to the PL days I'm comparing to the heady heights of 2014 under Gary Bowyer in the Championship.

Astonishing that anyone would see the issue on ticket sales as being 'fans who won't buy them for all sorts of reasons'. About time the club took responsibility for those reasons.

Like any other business the customers vote with their feet. A failing business loses customers by the bucketload. A business that recognises why can turn it around. A business that keeps repeating the same mistakes and thinks it is doing all it can and blames customers for not coming will fail.

Can't cope with FFP rules - we had to sell our training ground all of a sudden in a desperate last minute attempt to avoid sanctions (or so the story goes). That tells me we can't cope with it. Fully compliant thanks to flogging the crown jewels to a different company.

I am still of the opinions your views are wasted on here, get on the blower and offer your expertise!

I will be chatting to SW pretty soon and if you have no objections I will be highlighting your points to him, along with my own and try to get some additional answers and of course a job application for you😀

9 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I am still of the opinions your views are wasted on here, get on the blower and offer your expertise!

I will be chatting to SW pretty soon and if you have no objections I will be highlighting your points to him, along with my own and try to get some additional answers and of course a job application for you😀

Ask Waggot what percentage rise the new contracts offered, give to the players not willing to sign. If he gives you a figure in a percentage, he is not giving away how much money the players are going to get.

There are loads of places a hotel could be built but my original point was in relation to a new Riverside stand and the suggestion we don't need the additional facilities that could provide - a hotel is one example of ways of using such space without needing to increase capacity of the stadium.

is there? 

Does Ewood even need a hotel and why build it next to that canal? not very attractive is it? Is the demand going to be there?

Are Man Utd and Liverpool club shops unable to stock adult shirts at the moment? I only ask because they also import their stock from the far east so not sure how they have coped with supply issues.

no idea about those clubs at all since I don't support them but both club have a much bigger and wider fan based than we do so they orders will be much bigger than ours are. 

And finally no I won't just accept what people on here say. If i believed everything I read on the internet the world would be very different for me. I tend to rely more on my own interpretation and understanding of things, along with joining the dots and past experience.

Very easy to be made a fool of if you just accept what people tell you without question. This is how people like Waggott operate with fans hanging off his every word without question.

Rovers fans have posted what they have heard and been told by other people instead of believing your fellow Rovers fans you would rather believe in your conspiracy theory . 

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

‘I don’t care about what other clubs are doing’ is your usual line, Chaddy. 

So why you bringing Burnley into this?

Think if you look PROPERLY Matty it was JHRover who mention Burnley and that they hosted an England under 23's game just for the record!

19 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I have reiterated my views to the club about the clear and apparent lack of commercial nouse and an unwillingness to engage with the support. I am assured there are happenings going on behind the scenes as the club attempts to recover from the last 2 years and I am hopeful that the new "commercial team" will actually engage with a view to improving all aspects of that side of the football club.

In saying that I still retain a view that the fans have a part to play in helping the club regain an even better footing financial wise and indeed alongside those views and of course akin to the success of the team on the pitch, I do not see many reasons why the fans cannot come back to Ewood. I have voiced my discontent about the owners but they are no longer an excuse NOT to support the team from the terraces. Any Rovers fan with the club at heart can see through the haze of hatred for the owners, they can look beyond the poor football at times over the last few years, they can see through the glazed views of some fans who despise everything about the relegation/promotion and an apparent regression and they can almost certainly see past the poor runs and a 7-0 loss at home. 

Its about supporting the club through thick and thin.

If we see success on the pitch like we are seeing with the young players and if we see an improvement commercially wise then what excuses are left for fans not to come to the ground?

Thats the point I was trying to make.

Your stance is totally meaningless in that you are bemoaning people who in the main ultimately do not share your need to attend Rovers matches, therefore all such an attitude does ie the very similar stance that Waggott seems to have is fails to be constructive in getting attendances up, it just puts the onus and expectations onto people who in the main may not have that same active interest as us and won't even see such criticism. Even if you think that some/all of the responsibility lies at the feet of the stay away fans, its a totally wasted opinion because its not a constructive one.

We don't live in a perfect world whereby every single Rovers fan has an equal desperation to attend, and where things such as price and success don't make a difference.

The through thick and thin, club at heart type comments may seem nice but are ultimately fanciful and ignorant to addressing the reasons why attendances aren't higher. Such a mindset depends on implying that all Rovers fans have an equal passion, equal financial situations, equal lifes and quite simply that is not the case.

Also, how do you choose that people can't justifiably stay away because of the owners anymore, why is that no longer an excuse? 

Some people support the club with less urgency and passion, you can either think how do they come back or bemoan the fact that they aren't the loyal fans like yourself.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

is there? 

Does Ewood even need a hotel and why build it next to that canal?

A canal? Some fan you are....that's the River Darwen Chaddy, have a look up around your clubs area...

Small minded, imagine an hotel with some rooms overlooking the pitch....stick a petrol station and a few retail shops near the Darwen end and bingo....

• Like 1