BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

But with four months left on contracts you wouldn’t be ‘cashing in’ on the likes of Lenihan and Rothwell. You’d be getting a pittance, and for that pittance you could be risking the chance of a real ‘cash in’ - promotion!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I can’t believe there’s still so much back and forth on IF the players have been offered new contracts. OF COURSE THEY HAVE! 

The issue isn't really WHETHER they've been offered new contracts, it's whether those offers are tempting enough to get said players to re-sign and seemingly they aren't.

Not really going to be worth us letting them go for peanuts if we're still in the top 4 come January either is it?

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I can’t believe there’s still so much back and forth on IF the players have been offered new contracts. OF COURSE THEY HAVE! It’s been reported via direct quote from the manager and CEO in the media and SW confirmed it to me in person after the Sheff U match.

The reason they don’t need to offer Mowbray one is because managers aren’t seen as assets until they’re wanted. Weirdly, if we continue to perform like we are we may be in danger of having the decision taken from us. There will be chairman looking up the league at Tony and his academy based team wondering if he could do a job for them….🙈

Whether it be the players or the manager, we HAVE to make sure we’re prepared for all scenarios….

SW said that he would try to sell any player who hadn’t signed a contract by Jan. My guess is that he’s seriously reconsidering that as we now sit so high in the table. But if we are going to cash in on any player we must have excellent replacement options (think Pickering) and agreed budgets.

in terms of the manager, the club also need to decide what they’re doing soon. If he’s staying next year then get the deal done. If not then hopefully they’ve communicated that to him AND lined up a replacement. 

Thanks for confirming that it is all based on what Waggott and Mowbray have said.

That's my whole point.

After the shite Waggott has come out with I'm astonished as to the number of people so happy just to believe him.

Maybe the new contracts will come after the new pitch, new Riverside and ticket reductions to compensate fans?

• Like 3

The first order of business for this football club should be to secure the services of the current crop of players, Rothwell aside, I believe they'd all sign new deals if the offers were good enough, use the Armstrong money to get them signed up, its not rocket science, you keep your best players come what may.

The next order of business should be the sign Brereton up to a new lucrative deal, without his goals this season we're going nowhere, another no brainer. Kaminski needs a better deal, a longer deal, he's a quality keeper, sign him to a better deal now, or risk losing him for nothing.

Anything left bring some bodies in, ask the owners for a marquee signing, experienced campaigner to carry this young crop through the winter months and maybe just maybe we can sneak into the playoffs, then anything can happen.

Over to you Venkys, have you changed? Really? 

Edited by Gav
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Thanks for confirming that it is all based on what Waggott and Mowbray have said.

That's my whole point.

After the shite Waggott has come out with I'm astonished as to the number of people so happy just to believe him.

Maybe the new contracts will come after the new pitch, new Riverside and ticket reductions to compensate fans?

I don't think there's much doubt offers have been made JH.

However if the players won't accept them, they might as well have not been made at all - the net effect is the same.

So as I keep saying the key question is are the offers realistic? Waggott claims they are, the players (or perhaps their agents) don't seem to be of the same view.

Don't suppose we'll ever find out who's being reasonable and who's being unreasonable but one thing's for sure, I find it hard to believe a single word that comes out of Waggott's mouth after he attempted to recreate his training ground scam here.

• Like 1

Just now, Gav said:

The first order of business for this football club should be to secure the services of the current crop of players, Rothwell aside, I believe they'd all sign new deals if the offers were good enough, use the Armstrong money to get them signed up, its not rocket science.

The next order of business should be the sign Brereton up to a new lucrative deal, without his goals this season we're going nowhere, another no brainer. Kaminski needs a better deal, a longer deal, he's a quality keeper, sign him to a better deal now, or risk losing him for nothing.

Anything left bring some bodies in, ask the owners for a marquee signing, experienced campaigner to carry this young crop through the winter months and maybe just maybe we can sneak into the playoffs, then anything can happen.

Spot on Gav.

28 minutes ago, JHRover said:

That's my whole point.

Think he said a complete new pitch if we could afford it, obviously they went for the cheaper option, but you have to admit it the pitch has never looked better in December for a long time.

Riverside, do you really expect it with the attendances we get at the moment, that’s certainly not sticking up for Waggot just common sense with us round FFP constantly.

Back to the contracts, can’t believe you still think they haven’t been offered improved contracts, think everyone knows they have, it’s obviously down to if we are being tight or agents being greedy… probably a bit of both..

FFP doesn’t impact infrastructure improvements. And something will need to be done with it medium term, though I imagine they’ll just shut it on ‘safety grounds’ like Barnsley have just done with one of their stands.

FYI - It’s not the fanbase asking for a new Riverside, we are all aware of how empty Ewood is, but some big idea out of the mouth of Swag, that then gets quietly dropped… like the Tony Parkes tribute and many others.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

FFP doesn’t impact infrastructure improvements. And something will need to be done with it medium term, though I imagine they’ll just shut it on ‘safety grounds’ like Barnsley have just done with one of their stands.

FYI - It’s not the fanbase asking for a new Riverside, we are all aware of how empty Ewood is, but some big idea out of the mouth of Swag, that then gets quietly dropped… like the Tony Parkes tribute and many others.

Your quite right infrastructure doesn’t affect FFP directly but it’s money coming out the pot, which hopefully can go to new players and better contracts, if indeed they are going for a push in second half of season,unfortunately it doesn’t appear we can do both.

But for JRH to keep saying we haven’t improved contracts is really ludicrous just because other things Waggot has said haven’t come to fruition..

I would suggest that sorting a new contract for ToMo should be very low down the current order of business. Concentrating on contract extensions for existing 1st team players whose contracts expire soon and we might wish to keep hold of, or protect our investment, should be #1.

Then #2 should be identifying signings to fill in gaps; those players not extending new contracts; along with obvious short comings in the current team. Right back cover, winger (assuming Gally is hopefully not considered the answer), plus a midfielder.

Then of course being aware of replacements following any mega bids for BBD.

If deferring ToMo till at the earliest Feb 2022 (though I'd leave it until the end of the season), means we miss out on a massive compensation from Man Utd when they come calling to replace Rangnick, then so be it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The issue isn't really WHETHER they've been offered new contracts, it's whether those offers are tempting enough to get said players to re-sign and seemingly they aren't.

Not really going to be worth us letting them go for peanuts if we're still in the top 4 come January either is it?

If we are still in the top 6 come January, staying at the club will become a more attractive proposition. Especially if they are forced with being sold to a mid-table championship club for a slightly higher wage

• Like 1

Something that appears to have been missed by many - at the moment agents have suggested the players don’t sign just yet! Now don’t get me wrong there are two ways of interpreting those words but it suggests to me the offers are not that far away.

I think by now that we would have heard noises from the players' agents if no offers have been made. It's quite understandable if frustrating that the agents are telling their players not to sign yet. It's in the agents' interest to try and find better offers than the ones that Rovers have offered.

It seems unlikely to me that any club will come up a decent cash offer to take any of the 3 in January unless they have decided that it's a player that they really want and don't want to wait until the close season and risk finding themselves in a bidding war with other clubs. But I guess it could happen and it seems sensible for the club to be looking at potential replacements just in case.

For the players they are waiting to see what other offers are out there - maybe there will be and maybe there won't. Obviously Rovers' position in the league come January will have an effect - they are much more likely to want to stay around if our promotion prospects are real. I guess the new contracts have clauses about pay increases should we get promoted. They would have been academic a month or two ago but maybe, just maybe....

With Diaz there must be a chance that there could be an offer in January from a Premier League club desperate to add firepower for the rest of the season - with a contract extension that leaves Rovers in a strong position but there will be a number that the club won't be able to afford to turn down. It's a matter of speculation as what that number is - my guess would be north of £20m.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

It won’t be a top 6 club coming in for BBD but the likes of leeds palace Newcastle might do. I agree a figure north of £20m is something we couldn’t turn down 

I'd turn it down in January if we are perched in the top 6. A chance at the Prem is what we can't turn down, it's been a long wait for a true opportunity to do it. We can still get most of that fee in the summer if it doesn't work out in the league.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Gav said:

The first order of business for this football club should be to secure the services of the current crop of players, Rothwell aside, I believe they'd all sign new deals if the offers were good enough, use the Armstrong money to get them signed up, its not rocket science, you keep your best players come what may.

Gav, Firstly, the Armstrong money has gone to meeting FFP regulations. 

We have made new improve contract offers to Nyambe, Rothwell, Lenihan but so far haven't sign them. 

Yes Kaminski should be offered a new contract but we do have 12 months club option on him. 

Brereton is likely to be gone this summer given the clubs interest in him. 

The last thing this squad need a marquee signing. We need signings that fit the squad and the team spirit we have within the playing squad. 

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

With Diaz there must be a chance that there could be an offer in January from a Premier League club desperate to add firepower for the rest of the season - with a contract extension that leaves Rovers in a strong position but there will be a number that the club won't be able to afford to turn down. It's a matter of speculation as what that number is - my guess would be north of £20m.

I wouldn't sell him in January as he is key player in getting us promote this season. He has been fantastic all season. 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gav, Firstly, the Armstrong money has gone to meeting FFP regulations. 

We have made new improve contract offers to Nyambe, Rothwell, Lenihan but so far haven't sign them. 

Yes Kaminski should be offered a new contract but we do have 12 months club option on him. 

Brereton is likely to be gone this summer given the clubs interest in him. 

The last thing this squad need a marquee signing. We need signings that fit the squad and the team spirit we have within the playing squad. 

I wouldn't sell him in January as he is key player in getting us promote this season. He has been fantastic all season. 

When we went up last time what most people could consider was a “marquee” signing, Eyal Berkovic, got us over the line.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

It won’t be a top 6 club coming in for BBD but the likes of leeds palace Newcastle might do. I agree a figure north of £20m is something we couldn’t turn down 

Why not?

The owners don't need the money per se. The Club shouldn't need the money for FFP purposes imminently as the training ground exercise was completed in the last annual FFP cycle and the Armstrong money hit the accounts in the latest one.

And if we do actually have this rather elusive contract extension in our favour as is claimed, surely we could sell him in summer for not much less than what we could this Jan?

I'd say what we can't afford to do is sabotage the only potentially viable chance chance of the play offs we've had in the last nine years or so!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When we went up last time what most people could consider was a “marquee” signing, Eyal Berkovic, got us over the line.

Very true but how many games did he actually start? not many if my memory is correct. 

I would be looking for 2 or 3 signings in January

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Why not?

The owners don't need the money per se. The Club shouldn't need the money for FFP purposes imminently as the training ground exercise was completed in the last annual FFP cycle and the Armstrong money hit the accounts in the latest one.

And if we do actually have this rather elusive contract extension in our favour as is claimed, surely we could sell him in summer for not much less than what we could this Jan?

I'd say what we can't afford to do is sabotage the only potentially viable chance chance of the play offs we've had in the last nine years or so!

What happens if Brereton wants to move to Sevilla in January if they make a bid in January? 

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

Would Brereton be that motivated to go to Spain? Surely his huge aim is Premier League football?

Wouldn't have thought a team in Spain would be able to offer anywhere near the £25m that might turn our heads either.

Doubt they'd be in a position to get much past double figures.

7 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Would Brereton be that motivated to go to Spain? Surely his huge aim is Premier League football?

Sevilla are playing Champions League football and could be next round of CL if they win tonight. 

And I would say likely to be Champions League next season