BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

For the first time in over a decade the team have actually looked settled and balanced too. Getting rid of Brereton will really upset that I think as he's become a good motivator. You have an inspiring player scoring goals for you showing some passion and it has an effect on the rest of the team.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I find it a bit strange that your sole focus is the balance sheet to the point that you don't seem to be at all deliberating against any personal desire to get promoted, to have a go, to actually be going to games thinking bloody hell we could even get to Wembley, we could get promoted, we could make proper memories, and as touched on, what is the point if that isn't in your mind?

But back to the financial side, we have already brought in 15m this season so surely the immediate pressure is eased. The training ground was last year, Armstrong this giving us scope in this years accounts to not have to sell because of that. Your potential scenarios, the chance of either a bad injury or bad covid are slim, but not impossible as we saw with Dack, that would if anything make him surely likely to then be willing to renew his contract. His form could go either way. 

I think this idea that his value halves is totally over the top, but even if say he lost a few million. You could look it at the other way, its maybe a few million for lets say a 1 in 10, even a 1 in 20 chance of the riches of the Premier League? We might not be in a similar position for a few years yet, especially if we are as void of ambition as it seems.

I’m going to stop after this one because I fear I’m taking everything off topic, but in response to each of your paragraphs:

1) I agree with you! I’d want to have a go, I’m loving watching this team, I think we could go up. 

2) I can only assume you haven’t read the FFP rules and compared them to our balance sheet. Top line - even with the Armstrong money and Training Ground sale, we don’t have much play left in the budget. 

3) I agree, I’d roll the dice. Waggott won’t. 

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

That is not correct. The value of players is amortised over the length of their contracts so Brereton signed for £7M 3 years ago on a 4 year contract before options will now be in the books at £1.75m.

I think it would be foolish in the extreme to sell our most valuable player just as we have a realistic shout at getting back to the Premier League. Any sale should be left to the close season.

The amortisation is only relevant to buying, not selling. 

7 minutes ago, J*B said:

I’m going to stop after this one because I fear I’m taking everything off topic, but in response to each of your paragraphs:

1) I agree with you! I’d want to have a go, I’m loving watching this team, I think we could go up. 

2) I can only assume you haven’t read the FFP rules and compared them to our balance sheet. Top line - even with the Armstrong money and Training Ground sale, we don’t have much play left in the budget. 

3) I agree, I’d roll the dice. Waggott won’t. 

The balance sheet does not represent FFP as there are numerous transactions that don't qualify under FFP.

Neither of those 2 transactions are in any set of accounts yet, one happened just prior to the end of the 2021 year, and the other early in the 2022 accounting year, so even if the full loss was FFP deductible, neither of those transactions are included yet.

If Brereton goes it would be a big sale, presumably at the instruction of the owners, not Waggott. 

You said you'd roll the dice, but also if you was CEO that you would take £20m. Which is it?

Brereton out for 20m and then Maja + 2 other quality players in and new deals for key players = a very good deal. But my concern is 20m in the coffers and a loan replacement. 

Personally I think Breo is having the season of his life and we may not see this kinda money for him again. 

There's no doubt if the reports are true then we'll accept 20m. We won't turn down that down for a player who won't sign a new deal and who cost us a big transfer fee. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

Brereton out for 20m and then Maja + 2 other quality players in and new deals for key players = a very good deal. But my concern is 20m in the coffers and a loan replacement. 

Personally I think Breo is having the season of his life and we may not see this kinda money for him again. 

There's no doubt if the reports are true then we'll accept 20m. We won't turn down that down for a player who won't sign a new deal and who cost us a big transfer fee. 

We can still get a big fee at the end of the season! But we might also not be in such a position to challenge for promotion as is the case at the moment. 

• Like 2

Maja wouldn't be a bad signing if he passes a medical, but a replacement for Brereton - not sure about that one.

• Like 1

I can fully believe that we would accept £20m and it may be advantageous to at least get it sorted with enough time to find a decent replacement.

I think we’ve got a lot of this sort of speculation to come so I’m reserving judgement until we hear that a deal is done.

2 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I can fully believe that we would accept £20m and it may be advantageous to at least get it sorted with enough time to find a decent replacement.

I think we’ve got a lot of this sort of speculation to come so I’m reserving judgement until we hear that a deal is done.

What constitutes a decent replacement tho? like what’s the point of selling a player who has the ability and confidence to score for fun in this division and replacing him with someone who might fill the gap with a few goals but not enough to give us a chance in the top 6.

the reason goal scorers go for so much is that it’s incredibly hard to find them. I would say go ahead at the end of the season but no way mid season, the idea that we can sell him for 20 million and replace with 3 good players and finish in the top 6 isn’t a strategy we should go with in my opinion because one really good player can bring on average players and turn them into good players because they believe that with that really good player on the pitch he will find the net or make something happen, which BBD is doing.

I honestly think the squad has a good bit of depth at the moment I don’t think we need more players we can only play 11 at one time, we just need to keep going till the end of the season and keep our key players here (lenihan rothwell n BBD) n then look to cash in in the summer and rebuild again if we don’t go up. I would just be so pissed if we throw away our chance to get promoted to cash in and what rebuild again n spend another couple of season trying to get the new players to gel. This team is gelling why mess with it. Don’t fix what isn’t broken.

if we get to the end of January n it’s gone to sh*t I will probably change my opinion tho 🤣

Also, let's not pretend that if we get £20m for Diaz that the other out of contract players will suddenly be offered more money and will stay.

There is obviously a wage structure here that they aren't willing to break, so please can we stop with "well if get £20m and put it towards keeping the other lads it's a good deal"

Not going to happen.

• Like 4

Would really be a shame to break up the side now.  It's fun to watch the group of players come of age and push for a chance at promotion.  Certainly understand the business side of things, but it seems were never going to progress if we keep selling our best players just to balance the books.  (especially when you sit in a playoff position)

8 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Also, let's not pretend that if we get £20m for Diaz that the other out of contract players will suddenly be offered more money and will stay.

There is obviously a wage structure here that they aren't willing to break, so please can we stop with "well if get £20m and put it towards keeping the other lads it's a good deal"

Not going to happen.

Some may even choose not to sigh because of it as they'd question the ambition of the club to get promoted, I imagine. 

Edited by yankfan
edit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, glen9mullan said:

I'd take 15 plus Van hecke and Khadra, then give the rest to manager to spend in January. I'm sure with £15 million on the hip we could more than compensate for the loss of one player, whilst getting the other two on permanent deals would be a masterstroke in my opinion

totally agree with this that would be fantastic business 👏👏

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JonnyP said:

What constitutes a decent replacement tho? like what’s the point of selling a player who has the ability and confidence to score for fun in this division and replacing him with someone who might fill the gap with a few goals but not enough to give us a chance in the top 6.

the reason goal scorers go for so much is that it’s incredibly hard to find them. I would say go ahead at the end of the season but no way mid season, the idea that we can sell him for 20 million and replace with 3 good players and finish in the top 6 isn’t a strategy we should go with in my opinion because one really good player can bring on average players and turn them into good players because they believe that with that really good player on the pitch he will find the net or make something happen, which BBD is doing.

I honestly think the squad has a good bit of depth at the moment I don’t think we need more players we can only play 11 at one time, we just need to keep going till the end of the season and keep our key players here (lenihan rothwell n BBD) n then look to cash in in the summer and rebuild again if we don’t go up. I would just be so pissed if we throw away our chance to get promoted to cash in and what rebuild again n spend another couple of season trying to get the new players to gel. This team is gelling why mess with it. Don’t fix what isn’t broken.

if we get to the end of January n it’s gone to sh*t I will probably change my opinion tho 🤣

exactly...bring in new ones just in time to "polish them up" and sell them on.  Doesn't seem like a path to getting back in the premier league, just one to tread water here. 

46 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

This is my fear - and I am sure the ill timed injury to Dack is at the back of the CEO's mind. Having said that - if we sell for £20m - I hope we agree a large sell on fee. IF he gets a good start at Brighton and his confidence continues to grow - he will be worth double what they pay even with only half a season in the Premiership.

Having said that - if Brighton's interest is genuine it might start a bidding war - with (hopefully) Newcastle's mega rich owners showing an interest,

6 minutes ago, bradford rover said:

totally agree with this that would be fantastic business 👏👏

Are we assuming that TM will get the money from a Brereton sale to strengthen the squad?

I wouldn't be putting money on that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J*B said:

Out of interest, if he’s 20m in January or 10m in summer, would you still feel the same?

Yes, it'll still disappear 20 mill or 10 so as a fan i'd like to see us get everything we can out of him on the pitch. I don't really care what goes into someone else's bank. 

Edited by tomphil

BBD….

Sell in Jan for £15m plus JPvH and Khadra. Sign Healey (perm), a RB and Maja (Loan to perm). Then do pre contracts for Hedges and Souttar ready for the summer and spend the rest on improved contracts for RN, JR and DL.

Add the return of Dack and that is how you come out of January stronger! 👊🏼

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 2

Selling Brereton in January would really hammer home that the club has no interest in promotion. Imagine getting into a genuinely promising position in this division for the first time, only to sell your main goalscorer midway through. It would sum up these owners and would be deflating for everybody.

The plan might well be to bring in £20m for Brereton and spend £3m on Maja in the hope that he is the next one to sell on in a few years time. I would be happy with Maja coming in to bolster our attack next month, but not as a direct replacement.

• Like 8