BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

When the details of a major transaction for Rovers break in the very near future there will be uproar from those who have no understanding of what is going on at Ewood๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

I might have mis read that but if a major transaction is going to cause up roar isn't that a bad thing, if so what or who is being sold that it will cause uproar

Just now, Oldgregg86 said:

I might have mis read that but if a major transaction is going to cause up roar isn't that a bad thing, if so what or who is being sold that it will cause uproar

Heโ€™s talking about Venkys buying a huge area of land in the Ribble Valley, which theyโ€™re hoping to get planning permission for to create a new academy.ย 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, J*B said:

Heโ€™s talking about Venkys buying a huge area of land in the Ribble Valley, which theyโ€™re hoping to get planning permission for to create a new academy.ย 

I know a tad more about the specifics of this transaction which is to the benefit of BRFC

• Like 1

• Backroom

Regardless of the fee we receive, replacing 50% of our scoring output is going to be a hell of a task. Our signings (BBD included) tend to be bought with the longer-term in mind. Development to eventually sell on at a decent profit. It's not a bad model for a club in our position, but it doesn't leave me hopeful that we'd sign somebody who would come in and have an instant impact to replace what we'd lose with Brereton. Selling him in January has a high chance of derailing the first genuine playoff push we've had since the club was relegated. As a fan I can't help but be downhearted at that, regardless of what is put forward in regards to FFP, balance sheets and assumptions that the BBD money would be used to strengthen the squad for the future.ย 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, J*B said:

Hoping there's plans for a small stand at any new planned academy site. Hosting 23's/18's games at our own facility and getting away from the LFA into our own branded/controlled mini-stadium would be a good thing for the club.

23 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Hoping there's plans for a small stand at any new planned academy site. Hosting 23's/18's games at our own facility and getting away from the LFA into our own branded/controlled mini-stadium would be a good thing for the club.

Now you're talking, although i quite like the Leyland set up and it seems to drag in a few kids off the streets.ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Next to the A59 ?

Wouldn't look so good if it came on the back of selling players to pay for it though.ย 

Iโ€™m willing to wait out the next four games before the window opens. We will have a much better idea of what this team can do after the next four games. Keep the 5-3-2 formation going with the three in midfield and Breo and Khadra up top. Itโ€™s exciting

39 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Now you're talking, although i quite like the Leyland set up and it seems to drag in a few kids off the streets.ย 

It does, and perhaps having something in the back end of nowhere might make things difficult transport links wise. But certainly a thought to entertain. Chelsea and others have their own mini stadiums for the academy/womens teams. It's a good look

8 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

BBDโ€ฆ.

Sell in Jan for ยฃ15m plus JPvH and Khadra. Sign Healey (perm), a RB and Maja (Loan to perm). Then do pre contracts for Hedges and Souttar ready for the summer and spend the rest on improved contracts for RN, JR and DL.

Add the return of Dack and that is how you come out of January stronger! ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿผ

Not a chance all this happens.

End of the day you get ยฃ30 million for AA and BB on a ยฃ10 million outlay and that talk of the โ€˜modelโ€™ from a few years back, I.e invest in young English forwards as they have the potential for high sell ons has worked out perfectly. Kudos to all involved (though SG isnโ€™t exactly pulling up tress but you canโ€™t win them all).

Though, that is only half a model. The whole point is surely to now go back to the market with some of the cash for the next potential AA/BB, the rest can obviously go to plug losses, running costs and all the rest of it. ย However, if all the ยฃ30 million now goes to plug losses, then we are just kicking the can down the road to the next crisis when thereโ€™s neither fixed assets or sellable players to keep the FFP wolf from the doorโ€ฆ

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

BBDโ€ฆ.

Sell in Jan for ยฃ15m plus JPvH and Khadra. Sign Healey (perm), a RB and Maja (Loan to perm). Then do pre contracts for Hedges and Souttar ready for the summer and spend the rest on improved contracts for RN, JR and DL.

Add the return of Dack and that is how you come out of January stronger! ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿผ

How many clubs pushing for promotion sold the leading goal scorer mid season and went up?ย 

I can only assume you've been on the vino Paul, what a terrible idea.

I could buy into this if it was pre-season, but December......

ย 

• Like 8

Everyone talks of BBD being a top, grounded lad and we better hope thatโ€™s the case come January, as you can bet your bottom dollar his agent will be in his ear daily telling him now is the time to cash in big time whilst his stock is so high (in case he is a one season wonderโ€ฆactually make that half a season!).

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

well having a some time to think of what would be best for Rovers and this season but also for Finances of the club and beyond this season it is very difficult decision for the club.ย 

If Brighton are willing to offer 20 million plus a sell on clause and Kharda or Van Hecke as part of the deal then thats a good deal for Brereton given that he has 18 months left on his contract and is unlikely to sign a new contract currently given the clubs interested in him. Brighton are chasing European football and people who think they will loan him back to us are dreaming as he would be starting games for Brighton and Graham Potter

So the questions to the club(Owners, Waggott and Mowbray) is do we sell in January or keep him till the summer with the promise and guarantee that he can leave in the summer if we don't get promote? next question if we do sell in January or summer how much of the money we receive for Brereton will be spend to improve the overall quality of the squad and can we buy 3 or 4 players of quality including a replacement for Brereton.

Some important questions to answers for the club, Brereton and his agent.ย 

What would I do? I undecided until some of those questions above are answer and we are better inform.ย 

I think Brereton is a quality player for Rovers and I was excited when we signed him cos I thought he would be good signing for Rovers and that has proved corrected. I really enjoyed watching the current set of players who give everything for the club, shirt and the fans.ย 

ย 

11 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

When the details of a major transaction for Rovers break in the very near future there will be uproar from those who have no understanding of what is going on at Ewood๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…

How big? Everton training ground big, or is it a downsize like was going to have before everyone intervened?

2 hours ago, Gav said:

How many clubs pushing for promotion sold the leading goal scorer mid season and went up?ย 

I can only assume you've been on the vino Paul, what a terrible idea.

I could buy into this if it was pre-season, but December......

ย 

I donโ€™t want to sell him!!โ€ฆ.but the conversation was about IF we sell him. I just delivered the โ€œIf Carlsbergโ€ฆ.โ€

• Like 1

It's funny how things can change so dramatically. I remember a lot of fans on social media a year or 2 ago saying we should just cut our losses on Breo as he's useless and never gonna make it. Now there's uproar at the thought of selling him for ยฃ20m. All credit to Ben for turning things around.ย 

What it does show is that the transfer policy is working. Buy young players with good potential and sell them on for a big profit, then re-invest back into the squad. Sadly the last part of the equation doesn't seem to happen though.ย 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

It's funny how things can change so dramatically. I remember a lot of fans on social media a year or 2 ago saying we should just cut our losses on Breo as he's useless and never gonna make it. Now there's uproar at the thought of selling him for ยฃ20m. All credit to Ben for turning things around.ย 

What it does show is that the transfer policy is working. Buy young players with good potential and sell them on for a big profit, then re-invest back into the squad. Sadly the last part of the equation doesn't seem to happen though.ย 

It's not working when you consider it's taken about a decade to get a decent defense together.

And consider that Brereton is sold for ยฃ20m, that makes a small dent in the ยฃ140m debt.

What would work is running the club like a proper football club, getting promoted and getting the club in a healthier financial position.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, booth said:

It's not working when you consider it's taken about a decade to get a decent defense together.

And consider that Brereton is sold for ยฃ20m, that makes a small dent in the ยฃ140m debt.

What would work is running the club like a proper football club, getting promoted and getting the club in a healthier financial position.

I think that's a bit harsh. I remember that our transfer policy previously was buying players who were past it, then paying them off with large sums of my because lo and behold they were completely past it. Its actually quite refreshing to see our players being in demand by clubs in higher divisions.ย 

I do agree though that the defence has been neglected and that the club has been run atrociously. Bad decisions have led to huge debts but I also think big annual losses are the norm for most clubs outside of the top flight and the only way to solve that is to get promoted.ย