BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

Just now, J*B said:

It might not be risk related for Brighton - as it stands they’re 3 points away from potential European football. They’re looking to sign him to win those extra three points you would expect. 

We only just got the 15M for Armstrong, only Southampton where willing to pay that money. I think we would be looking at 10M for Brereton in the summer. 

I personally would sell Brereton in January for 20M because he’s a high value asset, as I’ve already explained. The second his value falls below 7M - whether that be because his form drops off, or that’s the best offer we can get for him, or he’s leaving on a free, he is a negative on the FFP balance sheet and that’s a risk we can’t take. 

Even if we took at face value that his value would plummet so much in 6 months, which to me is illogical madness and totally baseless. (In theory, if he keeps on scoring his value and interest could even go up a bit, risk and reward)

Does any of you think we are 4th in the league, we are actually starting to put something together in the league to really challenge, lets keep our best players?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rigger said:

I think better players for us, than Diaz, are Kaminski, Ayala, Lenihan, Travis. 

If we didnt have Brererton we wouldnt be in 4th spot now.If we sell in January and money is given for a striker it will be most likely be  a development signing again.

Iv defended the owners in terms of money spent on the playing squad in the mowbray reign and i know that they havent wanted to sell players in the past so i dont think he will be sold but if he is for £20 million then i dont think there is any defending of them and promotion is not a top priority

From the outside looking in and looking at Brerertons demeanour and some of the things he has said he looks to be really enjoying his football so i dont believe he is knocking on the managers door asking to leave.

He will still get 15 in the summer

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, rigger said:

Diaz is not our best player, he is our leading scorer. I would reluctantly let him go, if the deal is a good one for the Rovers. It was not long ago that the team would not survive without Armstrong. Get the rest of the squad settled, and we will probably cope, if Diaz leaves.

Happy days. We’ll be rolling in money soon enough if we can get £20m for someone that’s not even our best player. Lenihan better than BBD? Come on. 

• Like 4

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Even if we took at face value that his value would plummet so much in 6 months, which to me is illogical madness and totally baseless. (In theory, if he keeps on scoring his value and interest could even go up a bit, risk and reward)

Does any of you think we are 4th in the league, we are actually starting to put something together in the league to really challenge, lets keep our best players?

It’s all ifs and buts, anything could happen. He could get a bad case of COVID. His form could U-turn like it has done this season. He could do his ACL like Dack. Or perhaps he will score another 17 goals and fire Chile to the World Cup. 

We’re looking at this in different way though. Yes, of course, if there’s a guarantee that we can keep him until summer, maybe get promoted and if not still sell him for good money then YES - of course - keep him.

But his case is different because he shows on the balance sheet as a 7M investment. We’re already only just FFP compliant and that’s after selling our training ground and Arma. If this is decision is left to someone that isn’t a ‘roll the dice’ type character then Ben will go and the true reason he will be sold is because we paid so much for him initially. 

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If we sell our best player in January, it would really sum up Venkys for what they are.

There is absolutely nothing to gain from selling him mid season when we are 4th. Sell him at the end of the season if he wont sign a new deal. Why anyone with Rovers at heart would let him go now when he is spearheading an actual promotion push is flabbergasting.

If he is sold then you are left asking where is the ambition...what the feck do the Pune loons want for/from us?

We have Billionaire owners,this sale won't go down well with the fans if it comes to fruition.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

If he is sold then you are left asking where is the ambition...what the feck do the Pune loons want for/from us?

We have Billionaire owners,this sale won't go down well with the fans of it comes to fruition.

We could have trillionaire owners, until as a football club we generate more money ourselves they’re actually quite restricted what they can do because of FFP. The irony is I’m convinced a good CEO is all that is needed to begin generating more money, although it would take a period of time. 

• Like 2

If he’s sold you do have to think what will that do to the rest of the squad, like as a player you need to have something to chase n be motivate by, this team is surely saying to one another “come on lads we can make top 6”. if you take Diaz out what does that do to the mind set of the team. surely doubt has to start setting in and if someone can’t quickly step in and bang the goals in like BBD is then I think we’ll go backwards very quickly

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I understand that we should look to sell him to get as much as possible, rather than losing him on a free. 

But now we’re sitting in 4th and losing our top goal scorer, it doesn’t seem right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

We have Billionaire owners,this sale won't go down well with the fans of it comes to fruition.

I think the owners have already shown that they don't give a flying one, what the fans think.

• Like 1

• Backroom
38 minutes ago, J*B said:

Out of interest, if he’s 20m in January or 10m in summer, would you still feel the same?

Can I have 15m in January please and loan him back to us till end of season. 

Yeah, I know that won't work for the desperate teams, but there's plenty teams out there on nothing seasons that could sensibly do that to build for next year.

Everton, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Villa etc.

And that's still a good deal for them with his age, following in Chile, shirt sales etc.

Tell his agent, that's the deal, go and find the club that fits the bill best, he then knows he's sorted Premier football for himself next season, and he can have a last 6 month crack trying to get us up there with him.

Everyone's a winner. 

If Carlsberg did transfer deals. 

11 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

I'd take 15 plus Van hecke and Khadra, then give the rest to manager to spend in January. I'm sure with £15 million on the hip we could more than compensate for the loss of one player, whilst getting the other two on permanent deals would be a masterstroke in my opinion

Just one huge potential problem....there is no guarantee Mowbray will be given anything to spend.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If indeed the article is correct, Brighton are 9th, so the fee is not massively inflated due to supposed panic as nothing is at risk.

Brereton can agree a pre contract agreement 6 months after next summer but wouldn't actually leave for the 12 months remaining on his contract. 1/3 of the remaining duration of his contract down should not cut his potential fee in half. Armstrong also had a year left before he could go for free and we managed to get a significant fee for him despite that.

Is there absolutely nothing in your mind that says bloody hell, we are 4th in the league, we are actually starting to put something together in the league to really challenge, lets keep our best players?

Stuff like that is subjective but either way, losing Brereton will severely weaken us at a time when we are going strong and are actually in the top 6.

I never said that the team wouldn't be weakened, I said I didn't think that Diaz is our best player.

50 minutes ago, J*B said:

Out of interest, if he’s 20m in January or 10m in summer, would you still feel the same?

It would depend on if there's a strong possibility of automatic promotion as the rewards for the club are far greater and Brereton's value may even exceed £20m.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

It’s all ifs and buts, anything could happen. He could get a bad case of COVID. His form could U-turn like it has done this season. He could do his ACL like Dack. Or perhaps he will score another 17 goals and fire Chile to the World Cup. 

We’re looking at this in different way though. Yes, of course, if there’s a guarantee that we can keep him until summer, maybe get promoted and if not still sell him for good money then YES - of course - keep him.

But his case is different because he shows on the balance sheet as a 7M investment. We’re already only just FFP compliant and that’s after selling our training ground and Arma. If this is decision is left to someone that isn’t a ‘roll the dice’ type character then Ben will go and the true reason he will be sold is because we paid so much for him initially. 

I find it a bit strange that your sole focus is the balance sheet to the point that you don't seem to be at all deliberating against any personal desire to get promoted, to have a go, to actually be going to games thinking bloody hell we could even get to Wembley, we could get promoted, we could make proper memories, and as touched on, what is the point if that isn't in your mind?

But back to the financial side, we have already brought in 15m this season so surely the immediate pressure is eased. The training ground was last year, Armstrong this giving us scope in this years accounts to not have to sell because of that. Your potential scenarios, the chance of either a bad injury or bad covid are slim, but not impossible as we saw with Dack, that would if anything make him surely likely to then be willing to renew his contract. His form could go either way. 

I think this idea that his value halves is totally over the top, but even if say he lost a few million. You could look it at the other way, its maybe a few million for lets say a 1 in 10, even a 1 in 20 chance of the riches of the Premier League? We might not be in a similar position for a few years yet, especially if we are as void of ambition as it seems.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

Happy days. We’ll be rolling in money soon enough if we can get £20m for someone that’s not even our best player. Lenihan better than BBD? Come on. 

Team captain better than Diaz, in my opinion, yes

23 minutes ago, J*B said:

We could have trillionaire owners, until as a football club we generate more money ourselves they’re actually quite restricted what they can do because of FFP. The irony is I’m convinced a good CEO is all that is needed to begin generating more money, although it would take a period of time. 

Our aim should be to get out of this League and onto the gravytrain of the top flight asap...we have a chance with Brereton.He appears the talisman driving this promotion push.

To sell= no ambition.A good deal for Venkys accounting or the football club?.....

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyP said:

If he’s sold you do have to think what will that do to the rest of the squad, like as a player you need to have something to chase n be motivate by, this team is surely saying to one another “come on lads we can make top 6”. if you take Diaz out what does that do to the mind set of the team. surely doubt has to start setting in and if someone can’t quickly step in and bang the goals in like BBD is then I think we’ll go backwards very quickly

We lose BBD in January and kiss any chance of any PL miracles goodbye.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, J*B said:

That is not correct. The value of players is amortised over the length of their contracts so Brereton signed for £7M 3 years ago on a 4 year contract before options will now be in the books at £1.75m.

I think it would be foolish in the extreme to sell our most valuable player just as we have a realistic shout at getting back to the Premier League. Any sale should be left to the close season.

• Like 3