BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Your stance is totally meaningless in that you are bemoaning people who in the main ultimately do not share your need to attend Rovers matches, therefore all such an attitude does ie the very similar stance that Waggott seems to have is fails to be constructive in getting attendances up, it just puts the onus and expectations onto people who in the main may not have that same active interest as us and won't even see such criticism. Even if you think that some/all of the responsibility lies at the feet of the stay away fans, its a totally wasted opinion because its not a constructive one.

We don't live in a perfect world whereby every single Rovers fan has an equal desperation to attend, and where things such as price and success don't make a difference.

The through thick and thin, club at heart type comments may seem nice but are ultimately fanciful and ignorant to addressing the reasons why attendances aren't higher. Such a mindset depends on implying that all Rovers fans have an equal passion, equal financial situations, equal lifes and quite simply that is not the case.

Also, how do you choose that people can't justifiably stay away because of the owners anymore, why is that no longer an excuse? 

Some people support the club with less urgency and passion, you can either think how do they come back or bemoan the fact that they aren't the loyal fans like yourself.

Amazes me that so many folk just can’t seem to grasp that some fans aren’t die hards, don’t spend the day on Rovers forums/social media or chatting on WhatsApp groups or even reading the LT articles -  they will just dip in and out of the club, go to a game when they fancy, go when they like the price, prefer going away etc etc.

Fanbases are made up of all sorts.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, rigger said:

Ask Waggot what percentage rise the new contracts offered, give to the players not willing to sign. If he gives you a figure in a percentage, he is not giving away how much money the players are going to get.

Works both ways, 50% of 4k or 20% of 8K same rise, different percentage 

2 minutes ago, DeeCee said:

Works both ways, 50% of 4k or 20% of 8K same rise, different percentage 

But if they are being offered, say less than 5%, they may not accept the offer. I am not saying the figure I have quoted is the actual figure, that is why I said ask Waggot. Most people would snap up a pay rise of between 50-20 percent.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, rigger said:

But if they are being offered, say less than 5%, they may not accept the offer. I am not saying the figure I have quoted is the actual figure, that is why I said ask Waggot. Most people would snap up a pay rise of between 50-20 percent.

a quid more a week is in all technicality an improved offer. I wonder if Nyambes improved offer is a completed crosses bonus 😂😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I guess this is a transfer of sorts. I think I manifested this talking to my brother who is a Town supporter a week ago. Apologies if there is another thread, I only see the headline topics on my browser these days. 

https://the72.co.uk/257365/ipswich-town-keen-on-blackburn-rovers-boss-tony-mowbray/

Timing isn’t great as we have soured into 4th.

1 hour ago, Fraserkirky said:

Timing isn’t great as we have soured into 4th.

Interesting decision to be made. Do we let him go and ask for compensation, or will we have to extend his contract to keep him sweet? 

Not an issue last season but right now we are on a roll and the youngsters seem to be benefiting from him. 

They are unlikely to stump up compensation and he is unlikely to go at this stage. If he was out of contract in summer and they were still looking i could see it happening.  Seeing how weary and red up hes looked at times over the last few seasons i'd say he'd probably need a break but managers say that then jump straight in somewhere else.

It's a tricky situation but hes coasted it here at times seemingly under zero pressure and happy to plod and make a dozen excuses every week.  I'm loving what is happening this season and maybe this situation suits him better with young players and older egos removed. Not sure it is entirely by design if we are being truthful but he has to take credit for his share of it to be fair.

I'm interested to see where it leads but to be honest the signs off the park aren't good and the onus seems shifted onto the owners for this. Yes it's at their door now probably but the manager and CEO have had budgets and several previous seasons to try and avoid this scenario. So i'm sorry but they have to take their share of responsibility for that as well, these are the things you get with Mowbray, good and bad in equal measure.

So whilst i'd like him to see the season out i'm not sure i want another 3 or 4 years of his often muddled methods and excuse making.  If we finish well and he stays then give him a shorter term deal or rolling contract but with actual targets even if it costs a bit more money being a shorter deal.  Then we might see some real drive and ambition all around because as far as this young squad is concerned i think they have it.

Just not sure about everyone else - including some fans !

• Like 7

I personally think the Ipswich link is lazy journalism 

I would be very very surprised if we see him leave the club. On the plus side it would save us a few more dreary seasons and if the links with Neil are also still true then a manager with a recent record of promotion has a 4th place side full of beans to walk into 

If anything, as silly as it sounds, it could be the perfect time to attract a serious manager 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I would be very very surprised if we see him leave the club. On the plus side it would save us a few more dreary seasons and if the links with Neil are also still true then a manager with a recent record of promotion has a 4th place side full of beans to walk into 

If anything, as silly as it sounds, it could be the perfect time to attract a serious manager 

Exactly.

Always try and push on from a position of strength instead of the usual panic when things are bad. Whether that be a fresh approach whilst the club is still on a decent footing. Or backing Mowbray with getting the talent re-signed, a couple of million to spend and a short term target based rolling contract for himself.  They should be doing something in the coming months. Best chance for years to actually push on.

Ok it might cost 3 or 4 million in the short term but that is easily retrievable from this squad in a season or two. Establishing Rovers in the top 8 to keep challenging is a real statement and of course promotion or even some play off tussles is the reward.

Chances are nailed on though they'll do nowt, ignore it having put money in from STC sale then review it all on the eve of next season.  When it is yet again too late.

4 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The links to Neil wouldn't excite me in the slightest. Absolutely underwhelming appointment that would be IMO

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

This won’t go down well but if I was CEO I’d take 20 million, I’d let Tony join Ipswich and I’d pay more money than we’d like to for Lenihan, Rothwell, Nyambe and Kaminski. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If we sell our best player in January, it would really sum up Venkys for what they are.

There is absolutely nothing to gain from selling him mid season when we are 4th. Sell him at the end of the season if he wont sign a new deal. Why anyone with Rovers at heart would let him go now when he is spearheading an actual promotion push is flabbergasting.

Out of interest, if he’s 20m in January or 10m in summer, would you still feel the same?

Just now, J*B said:

Out of interest, if he’s 20m in January or 10m in summer, would you still feel the same?

Well that's a unsubstantiated hypothetical question, there is no reason that he would lose 10m of value in a few months.

I don't get why you would be anything but against the idea of selling our top goalscorer mid season when we are 4th.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If we sell our best player in January, it would really sum up Venkys for what they are.

There is absolutely nothing to gain from selling him mid season when we are 4th. Sell him at the end of the season if he wont sign a new deal. Why anyone with Rovers at heart would let him go now when he is spearheading an actual promotion push is flabbergasting.

Diaz is not our best player, he is our leading scorer. I would reluctantly let him go, if the deal is a good one for the Rovers. It was not long ago that the team would not survive without Armstrong. Get the rest of the squad settled, and we will probably cope, if Diaz leaves.

1 minute ago, rigger said:

Diaz is not our best player, he is our leading scorer. I would reluctantly let him go, if the deal is a good one for the Rovers. It was not long ago that the team would not survive without Armstrong. Get the rest of the squad settled, and we will probably cope, if Diaz leaves.

Dack is our best player but not fit. Otherwise, the second top scorer in the league I think can safely by referred to as our best player.

We might "cope" but we are 4th in the bloody league and doing more than coping, keep our best players, ideally add one or 2 and have a go for once at getting into that top 6.

If need be and he doesn't sign a new deal, we can sell him in the summer when his value should remain fairly unchanged.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Well that's a unsubstantiated hypothetical question, there is no reason that he would lose 10m of value in a few months.

I don't get why you would be anything but against the idea of selling our top goalscorer mid season when we are 4th.

I think it’s very likely we would lose 10m on him in 6 months. Two reasons:

1) January is ALWAYS a sellers market. It’s the one opportunity for clubs to press the panic buy button if their league status is at risk. 

2) Come 1st January 2023, Ben can agree to sign for a club for free on 1st July 2023. There’s absolutely no protection against that for us. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You can still answer a hypothetical question.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Dack is our best player but not fit. Otherwise, the second top scorer in the league I think can safely by referred to as our best player.

We might "cope" but we are 4th in the bloody league and doing more than coping, keep our best players, ideally add one or 2 and have a go for once at getting into that top 6.

If need be and he doesn't sign a new deal, we can sell him in the summer when his value should remain fairly unchanged.

I think better players for us, than Diaz, are Kaminski, Ayala, Lenihan, Travis. 

• Like 1

We should not be accepting offers of £20 million for Brererton in January with the table and our performances looking as healthy as they are.

I personally dont think we will sell in January but if they do sell him for £20 million this season then the owners will deserve every bit of abuse they get.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, J*B said:

1) January is ALWAYS a sellers market. It’s the one opportunity for clubs to press the panic buy button if their league status is at risk. 

2) Come 1st January 2023, Ben can agree to sign for a club for free on 1st July 2023. There’s absolutely no protection against that for us. 

If indeed the article is correct, Brighton are 9th, so the fee is not massively inflated due to supposed panic as nothing is at risk.

Brereton can agree a pre contract agreement 6 months after next summer but wouldn't actually leave for the 12 months remaining on his contract. 1/3 of the remaining duration of his contract down should not cut his potential fee in half. Armstrong also had a year left before he could go for free and we managed to get a significant fee for him despite that.

Is there absolutely nothing in your mind that says bloody hell, we are 4th in the league, we are actually starting to put something together in the league to really challenge, lets keep our best players?

Just now, rigger said:

I think better players for us, than Diaz, are Kaminski, Ayala, Lenihan, Travis. 

Stuff like that is subjective but either way, losing Brereton will severely weaken us at a time when we are going strong and are actually in the top 6.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J*B said:

Surely tho as a football clubs who’s main focus should be to as well as it can on the pitch and has the ambition of reaching the prem would be willing to risk the drop in a transfer fee for the reward of promotion.

If the club sells Diaz then surely it’s a sign of a club with no ambition and the at that point what is the point of all of this? the club are going with the policy of keeping ticket prices high while the form is good and trying to capitalise on us being in form n playing well and having a promotion push, surely if we sell him excitement will go down like a lead ballon, players will lose motivation as we are basically saying we have no intension of trying to get promoted and the club will go backwards again.

by keeping Diaz and pushing for promotion surely the excitement that it will stir and the increased numbers it will attract will reduce the loss we may have by waiting till the summer to sell him?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If indeed the article is correct, Brighton are 9th, so the fee is not massively inflated due to supposed panic as nothing is at risk.

Brereton can agree a pre contract agreement 6 months after next summer but wouldn't actually leave for the 12 months remaining on his contract. 1/3 of the remaining duration of his contract down should not cut his potential fee in half. Armstrong also had a year left before he could go for free and we managed to get a significant fee for him despite that.

Is there absolutely nothing in your mind that says bloody hell, we are 4th in the league, we are actually starting to put something together in the league to really challenge, lets keep our best players?

It might not be risk related for Brighton - as it stands they’re 3 points away from potential European football. They’re looking to sign him to win those extra three points this season you would expect. 

We only just got the 15M for Armstrong, only Southampton where willing to pay that money. I think we would be looking at 10M for Brereton in the summer. 

I personally would sell Brereton in January for 20M because he’s a high value asset, as I’ve already explained. The second his value falls below 7M - whether that be because his form drops off, or that’s the best offer we can get for him, or he’s leaving on a free, he is a negative on the FFP balance sheet and that’s a risk we can’t take. 

• Like 1