BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Nyambe is not suited to being a wing back, no. Definitely better as a right back, his main asset is his power and his one on one defending which even as a wing back is still important.

That being said, even though that is the case and putting aside any question marks over the back 3/5. Nyambe would still start at wing back every game as he is definitely better than Rankin Costello, obviously as a full back but I would say even as a wing back, and that assumes that Rankin Costello is ever fit enough to play. We are a poorer side without Nyambe, 100%.

He has somewhat improved going forward in the last year or so, not really with his end product, but I think that his assist for Gallagher v Swansea in the last home game before lockdown was his first ever, or at least one of. He got a few assists last season through using his brain to isolate full backs, and then get further forward and pulling the ball back rather than crossing from deep like Alexander Arnold or James for example may do.

It would be nice if he could stay remotely health for more than two games, then we might be able to see if JRC is a better WRB. Availability is the most important Ability.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure that the Dack bid amounted to anything more than gossip that I have seen.

Graham Jones who was assistant to Darren Moore at the time comfirmed West Brom did bid for Dack that January 

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/international-football/luton-chief-reveals-he-tried-sign-blackburn-star-during-his-time-baggies-937028

Edited by islander200
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

It’s interesting to see different views but something has been missed! Not a single bid has been received for him in the past 2 years and that clearly tells a story.

We don't actually know that. Just because something didn't hit the press doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought they came back later on. There was plenty of press speculation regarding West Brom at the time Dack got injured.

Dont remember any press speculation at that time, i remember JB saying it on here that he heard Dack to West Brom was a done deal.Both Moore and Jones who initiated the interest in Dack in the first place had moved on from West Brom at that point 

Thoughts on Mowbray saying Pears may go out on loan in January?

I'd say sure if we get a cheap but capable deputy on loan ourselves. Pears has been iffy when used before, and since we own him for the next 2 and a half seasons we might as well look to develop him. But Kaminski's injury is a reminder he isn't invulnerable and the other young keepers don't seem any more ready.

Pears at least has 28 Championship appearances under his belt. Which does however make me question how much he can learn in League One (likely the best loan he could get with guaranteed football). I guess he still hasn't played much pro football though, so it has to move him along better than playing in the u23s. We have too many keepers at that level too, getting in each other's way.

And yes I know he has looked pants for the first team, and may be a total failure of a signing by the time he leaves, but we should remember he is only 23, still very young for a keeper.

I think it's a good move if we get some back up as he needs games to prove himself and i'd rather it be away from here.  Looks to have some decent attributes but needs first team games.

Said all along from the moment Mowbray signed him he'd have this lad earmarked as number 1 at some point. So the sooner he learns his trade elsewhere the better because i reckon they'll lose Tommy K before long.

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Thoughts on Mowbray saying Pears may go out on loan in January?

I'd say sure if we get a cheap but capable deputy on loan ourselves. Pears has been iffy when used before, and since we own him for the next 2 and a half seasons we might as well look to develop him. But Kaminski's injury is a reminder he isn't invulnerable and the other young keepers don't seem any more ready.

Pears at least has 28 Championship appearances under his belt. Which does however make me question how much he can learn in League One (likely the best loan he could get with guaranteed football). I guess he still hasn't played much pro football though, so it has to move him along better than playing in the u23s. We have too many keepers at that level too, getting in each other's way.

And yes I know he has looked pants for the first team, and may be a total failure of a signing by the time he leaves, but we should remember he is only 23, still very young for a keeper.

Pears is a classic case of who you know.....he joined Boro academy where his dad had played for 10 years (big surprise), I wonder how many better ones fell by the wayside in the 11 years he was there obviously with the security of his dad being a club legend....

Then he's not good enough as he's only 6ft 1 and goes out to Gateshead for nearly 50 games......guess who is the goalie coach for gateshead.....?

Then for some unfathomable reason we give him a 4 year contract. Good un Mogadon 

46 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Pears is a classic case of who you know.....he joined Boro academy where his dad had played for 10 years (big surprise), I wonder how many better ones fell by the wayside in the 11 years he was there obviously with the security of his dad being a club legend....

Then he's not good enough as he's only 6ft 1 and goes out to Gateshead for nearly 50 games......guess who is the goalie coach for gateshead.....?

Then for some unfathomable reason we give him a 4 year contract. Good un Mogadon 

I know. Be that as it may, he played half a season for Boro. Not sure a club like that lets nepotism alone decide their goalie. He must have at least some ability.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I know. Be that as it may, he played half a season for Boro. Not sure a club like that lets nepotism alone decide their goalie. He must have at least some ability.

As a professional, playing at our level, I would expect more than "some ability". 

On 02/12/2021 at 01:18, chaddyrovers said:

For me, attacking wise he is much better than Nyambe in their wing back role. 

If he could stay fit then he been regular in the team 

Did you watch JRC against Reading last season? He got absolutely destroyed lol.

He can't defend at all, aren't the back 4-5 meant to be competent at defending?

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Did you watch JRC against Reading last season? He got absolutely destroyed lol.

He can't defend at all, aren't the back 4-5 meant to be competent at defending?

He struggles defending at U23 level.

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

He struggles defending at U23 level.

Always baffling when people don't rate Nyambe, say there is a replacement out there for a few hundred grand. 

I give you Bell, Douglas etc etc.

The same ones saying Nyambe can be replaced are the same ones that say Mowbray shouldn't be replaced because who is next?

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Looks taller than that now but yes we all know why and how he ended up here. Still remains a distinct possibility he can be a decent back up keeper though, because he won't be going anywhere whilst his dads mate is boss.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Always baffling when people don't rate Nyambe, say there is a replacement out there for a few hundred grand. 

The same ones saying Nyambe can be replaced are the same ones that say Mowbray shouldn't be replaced because who is next?

It's nonsense driven by a few who've always had it in for him your examples tell the story.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

For some it's not that he isn't rated as a player, more that Mowbray's style of play doesn't suit him. He's not a wing back and if Mowbray wants that Nyambe needs to cross the ball more. If he can't he needs to work on it.

Edited by booth

A long time ago I know, but Kenny brought Gordon Cowans in to help us reach the promised land, along with one or two others granted. By Cowans experience in the middle of the park made such a difference and despite his legs having gone, he could pass a ball with sublime accuracy. 

If those idiots in Pune are going to give him a few quid in January, an old head, like the Downing of a few years ago for example, could make all the difference. 

Big wages, free transfer, marquee signing, but who?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Gav said:

A long time ago I know, but Kenny brought Gordon Cowans in to help us reach the promised land, along with one or two others granted. By Cowans experience in the middle of the park made such a difference and despite his legs having gone, he could pass a ball with sublime accuracy. 

If those idiots in Pune are going to give him a few quid in January, an old head, like the Downing of a few years ago for example, could make all the difference. 

Big wages, free transfer, marquee signing, but who?

Hatem Ben Arfa is without a club

• Like 2