BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Just opinions. I think our position in the league is due to many factors, one of which is player form…in our case the form of Ayala, Buckley, Dolan, Rothwell, BBD and Pickering. But in spite of the form of Nyambe.

If I’m honest, I don’t think it’s form with RN. I think he’s just not a great footballer. His game intelligence and technique are poor! He’s bailed out a lot by his physical attributes which are AWESOME! I think he’d make a good right side CB in a 3. 

It is form. His game has visibly dipped this season, and I'd say in the latter portion of last season too.

Much is made of his limitations in the final third, and I agree he has them. But the main thing sticking out to me about his offensive game is that he used to charge us right up the pitch with pace and power from RB. Even though he can't deliver the end product very often, he could give it to someone else, and is now charging us up the pitch far far less frequently than before. I don't know if this is under instruction, lack of confidence, his hammy injuries slowing him down a touch or what, but it's an aspect of his game that has nearly gone away.

I don't think he would be good in a central 3. Lack of aerial ability, and lose his ability to drive us up the pitch (if it's still in his locker). I feel he is at his best as a full back in a back 4, with a wing partner for him to lay it off to and deliver the end product. Don't think the back 5 suits him however you use him in it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It is form. His game has visibly dipped this season, and I'd say in the latter portion of last season too.

Much is made of his limitations in the final third, and I agree he has them. But the main thing sticking out to me about his offensive game is that he used to charge us right up the pitch with pace and power from RB. Even though he can't deliver the end product very often, he could give it to someone else, and is now charging us up the pitch far far less frequently than before. I don't know if this is under instruction, lack of confidence, his hammy injuries slowing him down a touch or what, but it's an aspect of his game that has nearly gone away.

I don't think he would be good in a central 3. Lack of aerial ability, and lose his ability to drive us up the pitch (if it's still in his locker). I feel he is at his best as a full back in a back 4, with a wing partner for him to lay it off to and deliver the end product. Don't think the back 5 suits him however you use him in it.

A team that plays a back four is usually a defensively sound team. That is a good foundation for success.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The thing with Nyambe is that he is a very good one on one defender yet everyone seems more focused on how good full backs are going forward. Nyambe does offer a threat going forward albeit a bit of a compromised one as he knows that his final ball is poor so it is often through facing defenders up almost like a winger and pulling the ball back.

I have no doubt that when we goes, that any replacement will not be equal to him.

Do you think Nyambe is suited to the right wing back role where he need to be good going forward just as much defensive? 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you think Nyambe is suited to the right wing back role where he need to be good going forward just as much defensive? 

Nyambe is a right-back, he is not a wing-back or a winger. Square pegs should be in square holes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rigger said:

Nyambe is a right-back, he is not a wing-back or a winger. Square pegs should be in square holes.

But we aren't playing with back 4 currently so would you drop him then? 

Also has Nyambe's attacking side of his game improve over the last 3 seasons in your opinion?

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

35 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Also has Nyambe's attacking side of his game improve over the last 3 seasons in your opinion?

Nyambe is not suited to being a wing back, no. Definitely better as a right back, his main asset is his power and his one on one defending which even as a wing back is still important.

That being said, even though that is the case and putting aside any question marks over the back 3/5. Nyambe would still start at wing back every game as he is definitely better than Rankin Costello, obviously as a full back but I would say even as a wing back, and that assumes that Rankin Costello is ever fit enough to play. We are a poorer side without Nyambe, 100%.

He has somewhat improved going forward in the last year or so, not really with his end product, but I think that his assist for Gallagher v Swansea in the last home game before lockdown was his first ever, or at least one of. He got a few assists last season through using his brain to isolate full backs, and then get further forward and pulling the ball back rather than crossing from deep like Alexander Arnold or James for example may do.

• Like 1

• Backroom

I don't necessarily have major concern over replacing Nyambe. Whilst I don't think it would be as easy or as cheap as some make out, Mowbray generally knows how to bring in a player that is suitable for the league we're in (keeping in mind the likes of Bell and Smallwood arrived when we were in League 1). His ability to deploy said players correctly is another story, and the obvious concern is that the owners never seem very keen on spending much money on defence. Certainly in terms of transfer fees. Overall though when you look at the replacements for Walton (Kaminski), Mulgrew/Williams (Ayala) and Bell (Pickering) there hasn't been any downgrade in those positions. Granted in the cases of Walton and Bell it would have been difficult to downgrade, but still.  

What's disappointing for me is that the weaknesses we're talking about in Nyambe's game are basically the exact same ones we were talking about when he first broke into the team. There doesn't seem to have been any signficant improvement in those areas over the years, and whether you blame coaching or the player himself for that it's still a shame as Nyambe has all the physical attributes to be an excellent RB/RWB. 

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, DE. said:

I don't necessarily have major concern over replacing Nyambe. Whilst I don't think it would be as easy or as cheap as some make out, Mowbray generally knows how to bring in a player that is suitable for the league we're in (keeping in mind the likes of Bell and Smallwood arrived when we were in League 1). His ability to deploy said players correctly is another story, and the obvious concern is that the owners never seem very keen on spending much money on defence. Certainly in terms of transfer fees. Overall though when you look at the replacements for Walton (Kaminski), Mulgrew/Williams (Ayala) and Bell (Pickering) there hasn't been any downgrade in those positions. Granted in the cases of Walton and Bell it would have been difficult to downgrade, but still.  

What's disappointing for me is that the weaknesses we're talking about in Nyambe's game are basically the exact same ones we were talking about when he first broke into the team. There doesn't seem to have been any signficant improvement in those areas over the years, and whether you blame coaching or the player himself for that it's still a shame as Nyambe has all the physical attributes to be an excellent RB/RWB. 

Agree completely with this - he turns 24 on the day of the PNE game, so you can't really put him in the young player category anymore. The most frustrating part is that he actually travels with the ball very well at times, and get into loads of decent attacking positions. If his final ball was was even semi-decent, it would make a big difference to us. 

All that said, I'd still be very happy if he signed a new deal. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I thought I had already answered your questions, but here goes again. Yes I would drop him, if we don't play a back four. No his attacking side has not improved. 

5 hours ago, rigger said:

Correct in my opinion. Pike could replace Nyambe, that does not mean he will strengthen our defensive position, which for me is the main aim of a full-back.

I agree with Sparks again. His boots are big to fill and I hope Pike is up to it. I’ve not seen any better old fashioned fullbacks in this league. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rigger said:

This is the main issue with him he just isn't good at doing what they are trying to get him to do.  He's strong and quick and can tackle, the attributes you need from a defender first and foremost. The basics are all there, i first saw him in the U23s and he stood out straight away a beast of a boy as Souness would say.

Trouble is now his first remit seems to be bomb forwards and he either does then passes it back of gives it away in our own half. His positioning suffers and as a result his overall composure does as well i struggle to recall him creating anything around the opposition box. At times the midfielders don't pass to him when he breaks forwards but when the team is pushed back and the tackles are flying he shows his mettle.

As iv'e posted before i can understand how Mowbray gets frustrated with him but he just isn't a flair player you can't coach what isn't there. Some team in this division who wants a solid if unspectacular right back to be a right back will get a good player in him. 

Although i must admit iv'e never seen him as a Prem quality player like some.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

This is the main issue with him he just isn't good at doing what they are trying to get him to do.  He's strong and quick and can tackle, the attributes you need from a defender first and foremost. The basics are all there, i first saw him in the U23s and he stood out straight away a beast of a boy as Souness would say.

Trouble is now his first remit seems to be bomb forwards and he either does then passes it back of gives it away in our own half. His positioning suffers and as a result his overall composure does as well i struggle to recall him creating anything around the opposition box. At times the midfielders don't pass to him when he breaks forwards but when the team is pushed back and the tackles are flying he shows his mettle.

As iv'e posted before i can understand how Mowbray gets frustrated with him but he just isn't a flair player you can't coach what isn't there. Some team in this division who wants a solid if unspectacular right back to be a right back will get a good player in him. 

Although i must admit iv'e never seen him as a Prem quality player like some.

He’s a FULL BACK end of

• Like 2

• Backroom

I think the answer to the Nyambe question in an ideal world would be:

Get him to sign a contract.

Then bring in an upgrade in the position.

This secures him as an asset, and we know he's an adequate right back even on form.

Competition (ideally a better player) in his position will force him to sink or swim, and at 24 he can't afford to merely tread water. I don't think he's had ANY proper competition for his spot, I wouldn't even count Bennett in that either as I saw him more as a more general versatile utility player.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I think the answer to the Nyambe question in an ideal world would be:

Get him to sign a contract.

Then bring in an upgrade in the position.

This secures him as an asset, and we know he's an adequate right back even on form.

Competition (ideally a better player) in his position will force him to sink or swim, and at 24 he can't afford to merely tread water. I don't think he's had ANY proper competition for his spot, I wouldn't even count Bennett in that either as I saw him more as a more general versatile utility player.

We’ve either to hope Pike can step up to the mark or find the RB Pickering in leagues 1 and 2. Full banks that can can attack all Terry Copper are like rocking horse shit.

9 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

We’ve either to hope Pike can step up to the mark or find the RB Pickering in leagues 1 and 2. Full banks that can can attack all Terry Copper are like rocking horse shit.

I would say there are plenty of Full-backs who can attack. Ones that can defend as good as Nyambe are the rarity.

I think Nyambe desperately needs a rest. He's played non-stop, as far as I can recall, and has been jetting out to Africa to play for Namibia. Moreover, last year he was attempting to do the job of three men, given how poor the centre backs were and how inadequate Gallagher was as a right winger. My guess would be that he's suffering some form of burn-out. 

At times Nyambe has disappointed and his development has been inconsistent but there was a period last season when he was our strongest defender and biggest attacking outlet with charging runs. Meanwhile, Mowbray continued his drip of publicly faulting him (as he has done with Rothwell), whilst overlooking the terrible showings of the likes of Douglas, Brereton, Gallagher and others.

Perhaps, a bit like Junior Hoilett, who also left on a free, he won't ever be a real top player, as his attributes and glimpses of form sometimes suggested, but, nonetheless, I can't blame him for apparently wanting a move to try to develop as a player and we'll certainly miss him. 

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

It’s interesting to see different views but something has been missed! Not a single bid has been received for him in the past 2 years and that clearly tells a story.

No one's bid for Dack either......

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Erm, not technically true. There was a bid on the table for him of around £15m from West Brom when he suffered the first injury.

OK I will rephrase, no ones bid for BBD, Kaminiski, Lenihan, Ayala, Rothwell etc etc

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Nyambe is not suited to being a wing back, no. Definitely better as a right back, his main asset is his power and his one on one defending which even as a wing back is still important.

For me, he isn't a wing back and if JRC was fit he would be starting for me. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

For me, he isn't a wing back and if JRC was fit he would be starting for me. 

I dont think Rankin Costello is anything special even before you consider that hes made of glass. Poor defensively and I think its a bit of a myth that he is a huge upgrade going forward, ive not seen much to suggest that so far. Hes ok but he isnt a first 11 player for me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont think Rankin Costello is anything special even before you consider that hes made of glass. Poor defensively and I think its a bit of a myth that he is a huge upgrade going forward, ive not seen much to suggest that so far. Hes ok but he isnt a first 11 player for me.

For me, attacking wise he is much better than Nyambe in their wing back role. 

If he could stay fit then he been regular in the team