BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (a) - 20/11/21 (& local info for those heading to the gate, from a Bristol City follower)

23 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I've been a big supporter of Nyambie but hes been poor a bit too often recently. I just wish they'd concentrate on making him into a proper right back this wing back nonsense just doesn't work.

How many times does he or has he got forward properly and made it count ?  Hardly ever he just gets caught forward all the time when he should really be concentrating on his positioning. It's similar now with Edun at the other side although he's good going forward. Time and again though we put ourselves under needless pressure with them being caught out.

I'll maintain Ryan can be a really good right back at this level but wing back he really ain't, not good enough.

I've said for a while that I think Nyambe is disillusioned and his heart hasn't been in it for a while. I lay most of the blame for that at Mowbray's feet. Most of us know he has pissed him around a ridiculous amount. The lack of a proper backup hasn't helped either, with him being forced to play whilst not fully fit at times due to injuries to the non-RBs that sometimes get preference over him, further straining his hamstring.

That said, it's still RN's career at the end of the day, and despite the manager he has to find the drive to make sure his next move is a good one and his career doesn't tailspin.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I've said for a while that I think Nyambe is disillusioned and his heart hasn't been in it for a while. I lay most of the blame for that at Mowbray's feet. Most of us know he has pissed him around a ridiculous amount. The lack of a proper backup hasn't helped either, with him being forced to play whilst not fully fit at times due to injuries to the non-RBs that sometimes get preference over him, further straining his hamstring.

That said, it's still RN's career at the end of the day, and despite the manager he has to find the drive to make sure his next move is a good one and his career doesn't tailspin.

What are you on about? Last 4 years including league 1, Nyambe has played 29, 29, 31, 36 games. Plus playing every game he’s fit this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wood26 said:

He was clearly referring to the match day experience, the food outlets/bars/fan park etc.

Sounds like they put on a good day.

I was referring to the way they have amalgamated a lot of the local sports clubs under the Bristol Sport organisation. Barcelona and Fenerbahçe have setups like this. 

Naturally I am envious of any football club that is run with the slightest shred of competency. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wood26 said:

What are you on about? Last 4 years including league 1, Nyambe has played 29, 29, 31, 36 games. Plus playing every game he’s fit this season.

Clearly you weren't paying attention when he was being dropped so that JRC, Buckley or even Gallagher on one bizarre occasion could play RB ahead of him. Because that's what I'm on about. No stats about how many appearances he has made (which doesn't show times he was subbed off either) are going to change that.

JRC hasn't been fit at all this season, and that's the only reason Nyambe has played every game when fit.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Putting his ability to one side for a minute, I doubt Nyambe will move onto much better things due to his injury issues.  Anyone who does their homework on him prior to a potential move will have alarm bells going off and that's before he goes under a medical.

He has all the attributes to be brilliant but he always sees to fall short, you can count on 1 hand the number of top performances he pulls out the bag in a season. My only issue with him leaving is who replaces him. We probably need a similar scenario to the Pickering/Edun transfers but at right back. JRC would have been put down if he was a horse, if Mowbray has plans for him filling the void then its stupidity as I don't think he's ever going to be reliable from a fitness perspective. 

All I can say is that he was absolute garbage yesterday, as I noted at the time. His poor form, plus the complete inability of Lenihan to find one of our players at all with any of his forward passing, was a major reason that we got a battering from a poor side. Pearson had clearly set up his troops to try to intimidate our players - I mean, Brereton-Diaz constantly being floored, Buckley being totalled from behind in a completely reckless and dangerous way when trying to head the ball then having the same player kick his boot off the pitch, Kaminski losing his rag at their player who thought it ok to dig him in the ribs when ambling past for a corner and the kicker (pardon the pun) being the deliberate and cynical taking down of Poveda in a three player sandwich leading to him being stretchered off. Put it another way, if it had been us fouling their players so consistently and constantly throughout the game, do you really think we would have finished with 11 on the pitch? Not me!

The worst we meted out was Rothwell (quite rightly) taking one for the team when their sub was setting off on a mazy and penetrating run down the middle. Clearly a yellow card, but powder puff stuff compared to their cynical game plan.

In the end I felt we more than deserved the point. With a little more composure from Joe R, or perhaps a lunge by Diaz to meet Rothwell's cross-shot, we might even have nicked it. 

Praise to Kaminski for his agility and concentration late on - he is a super keeper, and has brought a new dimension to the Rovers style.

How good was Ayala when he came on too? Someone must have stitched a magnet into the ball, as it seemed to be unswervingly attracted to his head. 

I was absorbed and entertained by the game - not by the quality of the football, which was poor to be sure, but by the knife-edge unpredictability of it.

Let's hope there are some better performances in some areas against the Posh.

COYB!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Putting his ability to one side for a minute, I doubt Nyambe will move onto much better things due to his injury issues.  Anyone who does their homework on him prior to a potential move will have alarm bells going off and that's before he goes under a medical.

He has all the attributes to be brilliant but he always sees to fall short, you can count on 1 hand the number of top performances he pulls out the bag in a season. My only issue with him leaving is who replaces him. We probably need a similar scenario to the Pickering/Edun transfers but at right back. JRC would have been put down if he was a horse, if Mowbray has plans for him filling the void then its stupidity as I don't think he's ever going to be reliable from a fitness perspective. 

Completely agree with all of this.

25 minutes ago, WIR Second Coming said:

All I can say is that he was absolute garbage yesterday, as I noted at the time. His poor form, plus the complete inability of Lenihan to find one of our players at all with any of his forward passing, was a major reason that we got a battering from a poor side. Pearson had clearly set up his troops to try to intimidate our players - I mean, Brereton-Diaz constantly being floored, Buckley being totalled from behind in a completely reckless and dangerous way when trying to head the ball then having the same player kick his boot off the pitch, Kaminski losing his rag at their player who thought it ok to dig him in the ribs when ambling past for a corner and the kicker (pardon the pun) being the deliberate and cynical taking down of Poveda in a three player sandwich leading to him being stretchered off. Put it another way, if it had been us fouling their players so consistently and constantly throughout the game, do you really think we would have finished with 11 on the pitch? Not me!

The worst we meted out was Rothwell (quite rightly) taking one for the team when their sub was setting off on a mazy and penetrating run down the middle. Clearly a yellow card, but powder puff stuff compared to their cynical game plan.

In the end I felt we more than deserved the point. With a little more composure from Joe R, or perhaps a lunge by Diaz to meet Rothwell's cross-shot, we might even have nicked it. 

Praise to Kaminski for his agility and concentration late on - he is a super keeper, and has brought a new dimension to the Rovers style.

How good was Ayala when he came on too? Someone must have stitched a magnet into the ball, as it seemed to be unswervingly attracted to his head. 

I was absorbed and entertained by the game - not by the quality of the football, which was poor to be sure, but by the knife-edge unpredictability of it.

Let's hope there are some better performances in some areas against the Posh.

COYB!

It was actually a really good game to watch in terms of effort and it could have gone either way at times. Typical cold November championship game but i much prefer this stuff to the tip tappy sideways crap he wasted 2 years trying to install.

A very lucky manager to be working for such clueless people but this season Fulham aside he's making a decent fist of it. The team defended the box like tigers and that is what will see us through this season if they can keep it up.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

That's true if Nymabe's 'fitness' issues were all genuine. If what many of us on here think is true and Ryan was made a scapegoat for the more experienced player's mistakes then other clubs will be aware and will take a chance. I believe with better coaching he could make a premiership player or a top championship one.

This reminds me at the Raya situation.

The hope for JRC worries me, he genuinely looks a crock.

Watched the game back.

First half - surprised given the stats that we actually played pretty well for the first 25 mins. Got into the better positions in midfield, had Bristol City on the back foot and running towards their own goal. Khadra was brilliant. But once in the final third our passing and interlink let us down. From around 25 mins onwards Bristol went more direct and we couldn't cope. The goal was coming.

Tactically their 343 meant they could overload our full backs, and Nyambe particularly really struggled. When the ball came in again Lenihan and Wharton were out numbered and couldn't clear the ball out. When Poveda got injured switching to a 343 to matchup with Ayala coming on made a lot of sense. 

Only players to come out with much credit from the first 45 were Khadra (obviously class, surely will be a big player for us in the coming weeks?) and Davenport who put in some good challenges.

Second half - Ayala and the tactical change made a big difference. Suddenly we looked a lot more defensively effective. Won everything in the air, full backs didn't get out numbered. 343 Vs 343 does turn the game into a bit of a grind though, especially with Edun and Nyambe obviously not suited to a 343 as they lack the attacking delivery 

I was really confused why Davenport who had a good game was taken off? And Nyambe who had a nightmare stayed on? Really odd.

When Nyambe did eventually go Buckley moving to right back improved the wide quality. Clarkson coming on was mental though.... Why?! Surely Dolan would have been a better shout? Clarkson offers absolutely nothing.

Despite our defensive improvement we still really struggled to open up Bristol. When we did score it was a bit of a gift from terrible defending, great finish by Diaz though.

On the whole I think we missed Pickering quite keenly in the 343, and Gallagher generally up top.

Kaminski made a couple of great saves towards the end. Maybe we were lucky to get a point really.  

Only real bright spots Khadra, Diaz scoring again, and Ayala coming through 45 mins. Otherwise a game to forget. Also perhaps if you were being generous you could say it is a game we would have lost last season where we were very one dimensional, but we could change up this time round when it was obvious the system was struggling and get a point back.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 4

get the contract situations sorted out and when mowbray leaves after this season(hopefully)the new manager will have good fundamentals to work with,kaminski,ayala,dolan,brereton,wharton,travis is a good spine to have,i know it does`nt always work out like that,especially with the mad chicken lot in charge but it is a sign of a brighter future,who knows,they might accidently appoint someone who turns out to be really good😏

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

A very lucky manager to be working for such clueless people but this season Fulham aside he's making a decent fist of it. The team defended the box like tigers and that is what will see us through this season if they can keep it up.

The 2 key differences for me are Ayalya staying fit and Brereton's goals; without either, we're not half the team.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Sorry, but thats nonsense. He doesn't mess him around. He starts him most games. Stop making excuses for nyambe when he plays badly. Poor performances like yesterday are him and possibly the travel associated with his international career. 

Poor back up is the best one I have heard yet. So it's Mowbray fault if he plays him and if he doesn't play him? I can see why Mowbray might favour JRC there very easily 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nyambe needs to take a break from international football and focus on his club game. In my opinion. 

Very difficult to expect a player to stop playing for his country, plus Nyambe doesn't always go anyway, he didn't last time due to concussion protocols I think and that is not the first international break that he has not played for Namibia.

I wouldn't say that in general he is massively out of form by any means, but he was really poor yesterday, summed up by the foul throw.

Would you say that for example Maguire should have pulled himself out of the latest England games, or would you be annoyed if Lenihan was called up but chose not to play to concentrate on Rovers?

• Like 3

The second half showed an improvement but we still didn't create too many chances still, points on the

Ayala was definitely our best player winning every header and Davenport whilst unremarkable was quietly effective. Nyambe was all over the shop and I thought that Buckley was really poor too.

The standard/quality in general was again very low, the standard of the Championship seems very low yet the prices are so so high.

10 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Sorry, but thats nonsense. He doesn't mess him around. He starts him most games. Stop making excuses for nyambe when he plays badly. Poor performances like yesterday are him and possibly the travel associated with his international career. 

Poor back up is the best one I have heard yet. So it's Mowbray fault if he plays him and if he doesn't play him? I can see why Mowbray might favour JRC there very easily 

There's no need to be rude by calling it nonsense and saying I'm making excuses just because I have a different opinion. Nyambe should have started ALL games he has been fully fit for, as he has long been the best, sometimes only RB at the club and whilst he's not perfect and has the odd bad game, he has never been poor enough for long enough to warrant being dropped. So for me, even if it has only been about 20% of a season, any dropping of him is him being messed around. And I'm sorry you don't understand the nuance that not playing him when fully fit, but forcing him in when not fully fit is a poor way to treat what I regard as comfortably the best RB at the club. It's not a contradiction as you imply.

I rate him more than you do, clearly. Just accept that and don't be an ass about it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

There's no need to be rude by calling it nonsense and saying I'm making excuses just because I have a different opinion. Nyambe should have started ALL games he has been fully fit for, as he has long been the best, sometimes only RB at the club and whilst he's not perfect and has the odd bad game, he has never been poor enough for long enough to warrant being dropped. So for me, even if it has only been about 20% of a season, any dropping of him is him being messed around. And I'm sorry you don't understand the nuance that not playing him when fully fit, but forcing him in when not fully fit is a poor way to treat what I regard as comfortably the best RB at the club. It's not a contradiction as you imply.

I rate him more than you do, clearly. Just accept that and don't be an ass about it.

I agree here....people forget when he was benched for Benno loads of times..whilst the goals went in normally from Benno not being strong or quick enough.

Mowbray has stunted his progression and has failed to develop his game. Shit Manager.

Mogadon Out.

• Like 2

No doubt he scapegoated a few times in the past and also liked to give Bennett a game there occasionally.  just to keep him happy. 

I can also see though why TM gets frustrated with Nyambie but the simple logical thing to do though would have been to get another proper right back on the books a while ago.

Edited by tomphil

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Very difficult to expect a player to stop playing for his country, plus Nyambe doesn't always go anyway, he didn't last time due to concussion protocols I think and that is not the first international break that he has not played for Namibia.

I wouldn't say that in general he is massively out of form by any means, but he was really poor yesterday, summed up by the foul throw.

Would you say that for example Maguire should have pulled himself out of the latest England games, or would you be annoyed if Lenihan was called up but chose not to play to concentrate on Rovers?

A lot easier to get to where Maguire or Lenihan would be playing. Even more straightforward for Brereton than Nyambe. I read before what was involved in his treks and it's not the type of journey that In would be recommending to a guy whose career is on the balance as to the level he plays at, particularly a guy with regular hamstring injuries.

I never said it was an easy decision for a player to make  

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

I can also see though why TM gets frustrated with Nyambie but the simple logical thing to do though would have been to get another proper right back on the books a while ago.

Absolutely. Nearly 5 years to sort this out. Another reason why most of us want Mowbray out.

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

No need to call someone an ass just because they say  this narrative that Mowbray is somehow unfair to Nyambe is nonsense. 

He certainly has been poor enough to be dropped IMO opinion as well .I don't think there was protest whenever JRC started, far from it actually. You can't say a player being dropped is "messing them around" in this instance.  

What games was he started when wasn't fully fit? 

I rate him too, but I think he is at risk of not living up to his potential and isn't developing at the level some on here expect, or even claim that he has.