BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Venkys Support for Promotion?

11 minutes ago, Bad Boy said:

This sounds like an excellent incentive to tie some of our want to be out wannabes.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/17145803/blackburn-venky-spromotion-bonus-premier-league-championship

I'm not sure how it incentivises our want out wannabes? Won't they still get the money whether they sign on or not?

It’s simple enough to allow the players who don’t want to sign, leave in January. That way, they won’t be a player who clinched promotion and therefore be entitled to the bonus. If this is correct ( I don’t trust the sun) then it is a great incentive.

Not sure this is some great discovery or exclusive.

It goes without saying that all the players will have some sort of promotion bonus in their contracts and that when you add together 20+ senior players and the management team that cash is going to be significant. 

We also know that there is a tendancy here for clauses to be put into contracts that are - shall we say - weighted in favour of cash down the line rather than up front - whether that be transfer fees, wages or bonuses the way they like to do things based on what has been said and heard in the past is that they like to spread payments across several years or make them contingent on certain targets being reached - so it would not be a surprise to see deals with substantial bonuses in place to sweeten the deal.

Not sure this really makes much difference with those out of contract in the summer. I would hope in our position there is little/no appetite on either side for those players to leave in January. 

I'm not sure on the legalities of it but I'm not sure this is a new development - I don't think you can just dangle massive bonuses beyond what is in their contracts from when they signed them. Might be wrong on that but would expect the league to be quite strict on bonuses and how they are distributed. You can't just have a good start to the season so offer the players a huge pile of cash if they maintain it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lraC said:

It’s simple enough to allow the players who don’t want to sign, leave in January. That way, they won’t be a player who clinched promotion and therefore be entitled to the bonus. If this is correct ( I don’t trust the sun) then it is a great incentive.

To an extent. I don't think the problem is that they are desperate to get out of the club though. They're not playing that way. They just want more money on their contract. I think the fear of them leaving in January is more about the club trying to cash in whilst they still have value (and yes, we are stupid enough to do that, Waggott even said that's what we will do in Jan if they don't sign...maybe that picture has changed since our high position, but we all know he is enough of a penny pinching prick to still do it if allowed).

My worry has always been us rushing them out to avoid them leaving for free, or them leaving for free in the summer. In either of those scenarios, this incentive changes nothing really. In the scenario that I don't see happening, of them forcing a move in Jan, sure.

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

great incentive by the owners to the players to go an get the top 2 spots. Not sure these are normal promotion bonus and clauses in their contracts. 

I don't know,  personally I think all players would have promotion bonuses in their contracts. The same as relegation. 

I was wondering if this bonus has always been there or just introduced now . Due to our position and contract situations.

If its new then it's a good way to keep everyone focused. 

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

To an extent. I don't think the problem is that they are desperate to get out of the club though. They're not playing that way. They just want more money on their contract. I think the fear of them leaving in January is more about the club trying to cash in whilst they still have value (and yes, we are stupid enough to do that, Waggott even said that's what we will do in Jan if they don't sign...maybe that picture has changed since our high position, but we all know he is enough of a penny pinching prick to still do it if allowed).

My worry has always been us rushing them out to avoid them leaving for free, or them leaving for free in the summer. In either of those scenarios, this incentive changes nothing really. In the scenario that I don't see happening, of them forcing a move in Jan, sure.

In the event they have all decided to run their contracts down and leave on a free then i would say  the incentive does change things.

It gives those players £700k reasons to give their all and try help get the club promoted.Plenty of examples of players downing tools coming into the last 6 months of their deal 

Typically arrogant and crude initiative, if true, from owners who more and more demonstrate their complete disconnection from reality.

As even the most lightly schooled management scholar learns, money is not in itself intrinsically a motivator. Used crudely in an organisational setting, money is more likely to be a de-motivator, according to basic theory (see https://www.simplypsychology.org/herzbergs-two-factor-theory.html for a good explanation)

Just goes to show what an uneducated, careless and arrogant bunch of Marie Antoinnettes have their spoilt little hands around our proud club's neck. Unfeckingbelievable!

Off to la guillotine, mes Venkies imbecile!

• Like 5

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think its new from Venkys

I don't think so. I don't think you can just decide to insert new bonuses into deals half way through them. For this to be above board they would have to agree new deals with the players. The Football League have stringent rules on bonuses and what you can do. 

The likelihood is that promotion bonuses were inserted into all the players deals back when they signed them and therefore IF we ever get promoted we will have to pay a lot out money. That incentive has always been there and will be in just about every players contract at every club.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Typically arrogant and crude initiative, if true, from owners who more and more demonstrate their complete disconnection from reality.

As even the most lightly schooled management scholar learns, money is not in itself intrinsically a motivator. Used crudely in an organisational setting, money is more likely to be a de-motivator, according to basic theory (see https://www.simplypsychology.org/herzbergs-two-factor-theory.html for a good explanation)

Just goes to show what an uneducated, careless and arrogant bunch of Marie Antoinnettes have their spoilt little hands around our proud club's neck. Unfeckingbelievable!

And money doesn’t motivate project Man City? Of course money motivates footballers get in the real world my friend!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

I personally think I’d have to be disconnected from reality, to think money doesn’t “talk” in football.

I mean there is such a huge gulf in wages between the top flight and second, what better way to incentivise your own team without paying them over the odds for ending up mid table in the championship. 

If you can’t offer the whole squad a bigger wage structure due to turnover in this division, offering them 5%ish of the total increased revenue the club will earn for promotion….. seems sensible and most “un-Rao-like”…

Not that I am 100% convinced it’s true. It’s “the scum” and the author is a complete bellend. The way it’s become a “runaround” adds more weight but ultimately - the club would never publicise such offerings.

32 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't think so. I don't think you can just decide to insert new bonuses into deals half way through them. For this to be above board they would have to agree new deals with the players. The Football League have stringent rules on bonuses and what you can do. 

The likelihood is that promotion bonuses were inserted into all the players deals back when they signed them and therefore IF we ever get promoted we will have to pay a lot out money. That incentive has always been there and will be in just about every players contract at every club.

Hold on a second JHR - you’ve been banging on about the owners choosing to use FFP as an excuse, as they could break that rule but they won’t…

Does that apply to this too? I mean if they are adding in extra incentives on the basis of promotion, in the face of contract law, FFP and potential turnover issues…. What has changed?

Just now, JBiz said:

Hold on a second JHR - you’ve been banging on about the owners choosing to use FFP as an excuse, as they could break that rule but they won’t…

Does that apply to this too? I mean if they are adding in extra incentives on the basis of promotion, in the face of contract law, FFP and potential turnover issues…. What has changed?

I don't think anything has changed - my point is that I don't think the owners have done anything here - the bonuses referred to in the story will have been included in the players' contracts when they negotiated and signed them and will be entirely normal for a Championship football club to offer substantial bonuses to players in the event of promotion to the PL. 

I don't think the owners have done anything recently.

FFP is flexible and down to calculations and interpretations and there are all sorts of loopholes. Only today Bristol City have announced losses of nearly £40 million for the last year yet I don't see them selling training grounds because their owner will find a way to manage it. 

I'm pretty sure (again not certain as I haven't had chance to check the rules) that you can't just decide to offer massive bonuses mid-season beyond what is set into the contracts. Also bonuses have to be declared to the authorities. 

The story probably comes from this site where a bonus was mentioned a while back, someone's picked it up from here would be my guess.

The owners have kept quiet for a few years now and long may it continue as far as I'm concerned, we want them as far away from whats currently going on as possible.

I would also add that Waggott wouldn't be able to keep this information quite had it been true and not a word from the inside sources which tells its own story.