BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

15 minutes ago, booth said:

But nowhere near the quality of Van Hecke (Harwood Bellis).

If we could sign Van Hecke in January as replacement for Ayala (who is great in the short time he's with us, but a luxury) that would be brilliant business.

I think HB is 2 years younger than Van Hecke though, still not 21. I haven’t seen Van Hecke to compare but if he’s better than HB he must be a very good player and I’d imagine a lot of teams would want him on loan. The young lad we have from Gladbach is looking decent as well. Does mean our central defence pair habe an average age of 21 so definitely young and inexperienced. Mind you our full backs are only 20 and 23.

3 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Except that season ticket holder attends 23 games a season and pays BRFC to attend every one of those games.

Wheres Cockney Bob attends 5 or 6 games and contributes nothing to Rovers as the cash goes to the away club.

Walk ons make up perhaps 25% of the crowds at Ewood. In fact it may even be a bigger percentage as a lot of season ticket holders don't attend all games.

14 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Except that season ticket holder attends 23 games a season and pays BRFC to attend every one of those games.

Wheres Cockney Bob attends 5 or 6 games and contributes nothing to Rovers as the cash goes to the away club.

I don't think I worded it well but I agree, I meant that away games shouldn't out rank season ticket holders.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

What do you think of this lad?

You're so lucky to have him - I thought he looked like a future England player when he was with us

He's definitely quality on the ball and does his primary job well .... you do know that me saying that will probably mean he'll make a horrendous error on 13th November and gift you the spoils .... 🙄

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't think I worded it well but I agree, I meant that away games shouldn't out rank season ticket holders.

Yeah sorry. I get you now. I misunderstood the ‘away ticket situation should have been the first phase’

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Has they got more experience than we got really? 

when we Kaminski, Hyam, Scott Wharton, Ayala, Brittain, Hedges, Szmodics, Travis, BBD and Gallagher. 

Their older players may have more experience in years, but only one of them has anywhere near the knowledge of our younger players of what is at stake. 

I can't imagine anyone needing to tell the Wharton's what is expected. That intensity can, of course, work both ways. We can't afford many early yellows, and definitely not reds. 

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

I’ve no issue in 1875 club members getting first dibs. I find it strange, however, that they split the 1875 club phasing into two parts, those with away games and those without games, when everyone was guaranteed a ticket. However 1875+ST having priority was what was announced, and that is what has happened. Fair enough.

However when there is only a couple of hundred left in phase 3 today, the ‘fair’ way to proceed would be to go to season ticket holders with away games. The online system can easily do it as strangely they did it for phase 1 (which wasn’t what was advertised at the start of the season). I don’t think anyone can really argue that that wouldn’t have been the fairest way for this next phase.

Completely agree Hasta, the whole thing was done bizarrely imo. Without getting into the ins and outs of the 1875 side of things, why not just have that as one phase if they had enough tickets.

Then as there is plenty of time until the game I don't see why with only 500 ish remaining it didn't go to ST holders with away games. Ie day 1, ST with 6 away games, then day 2 with 5 games etc until sold out out. Surely that would have made more sense than 7k season ticket holders going for a few 100 tickets?!

As per usual another Waggot stuff up

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JHRover said:

We must have a different view on 'building'. I'd say assembling an entire squad in one transfer window, many of whom are loans, on money few other clubs at this level could afford or be allowed to spend, is the opposite of 'building'. 

You mention wealthy benefactors yet don't mention tens of millions of borrowing from 3rd parties to prop the club up?

It's working so can't fault it so far but in reality Burnley have done this summer what any other parachute laden club has done over the years - used the Sky money to 'have a go' at bouncing straight back. If they succeed it resets things. If they fail then drastic cuts will be inevitable. Same applies to WBA, Watford, Norwich. Burnley no different. 

That's what every club that has gone down has done.

Well all except one.....

On paper the dingles are rightly favourites seen as they have had spending power regardless of players leaving them. Bit for what we’ve seen so far they are nothing special, they are all for possession but cause little threat, the way they play suits us l, let them have the ball but give them no joy and hit them on the break as their defence isn’t great either, they will get frustrated and mistakes will be made. They are the same boring team just in a different way and personally can’t see them staying in the top 2 so there is nothing to fear, you worried a lot more about playing dyches Burnley than kompanys

16 hours ago, booth said:

Bradley Johnson played a forward role, doesn't make him a CF.

Tbf, I don't actually know what Dolan is, I just know what he isn't.

That was Mowbray for you. 

Dolan can play 2 role, 1 as winger and 1 as pressing forward number 9

16 hours ago, booth said:

They have and so have we. If our players turn it on we can win but we all know we've got those days where it's like the players have just met. A lot of it hinges on BBD. He plays well and the team does, even if he doesn't personally score. It's weird as it's not as if he's the engine of the team. Would be great if he managed to kill the game off with one of his worldies, that's the main thing for Burnley to fear... And the Wilpshire Pirlo.

I think alot hinges on us being solid defensively.  Gallagher and BBD in attack will be our key attacking players.

15 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

We've got three players in the top 15 (Rodriguez on 8, Tella on 6 and Brownhill on 5. If I read it right your next best was Gallagher on 3 in 47th on the list.

I said strikers not midfielders or wide players. 

15 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

As for our performance. It was overall great, we won, dominated for all but the first 8-10 minutes of the second half and the last 5 as we defended our lead. We did only have 2 shots on Target - and 7 blocked so lord knows if they were on target. If I'm being critical we really should have scored more, expecially first half. Norwich looked poor - but defended very well. They were a bit lucky to end with 11 on the pitch as well.

I didn't think your performance was that good to be fair

1 hour ago, TheRovers1994 said:

On paper the dingles are rightly favourites seen as they have had spending power regardless of players leaving them. Bit for what we’ve seen so far they are nothing special, they are all for possession but cause little threat, the way they play suits us l, let them have the ball but give them no joy and hit them on the break as their defence isn’t great either, they will get frustrated and mistakes will be made. They are the same boring team just in a different way and personally can’t see them staying in the top 2 so there is nothing to fear, you worried a lot more about playing dyches Burnley than kompanys

It's funny people keep saying this yet we are currently top scorers in the division and only PNE have conceded less than us - decent stats for a team that doesn't cause a threat and has a poor defence.

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I said strikers not midfielders or wide players. 

I didn't think your performance was that good to be fair

Narrow it all you want, the reality is Rodriguez has scored as many as Diaz & Tella and Brownhill have scored more than any other players in your team - and overall we've scored 37% more goals than you have.

On our performance, were you there? I'm not sure what more we could have done, we won, had plenty of shots, dominated the ball, excellent pass accuracy. 

We have a tough run of games (Norwich, Reading, Rotherham, Sheff Utd, the crapico) - if we can stay in touch until the World Cup then with a bit of luck we will see Twine,  Churlinov and Westwood back in the squad and see where we go. I'm feeling more confident about top 6 now though, no point me pretending otherwise but I'm not confident about our game.

39 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

It's funny people keep saying this yet we are currently top scorers in the division and only PNE have conceded less than us - decent stats for a team that doesn't cause a threat and has a poor defence.

Narrow it all you want, the reality is Rodriguez has scored as many as Diaz & Tella and Brownhill have scored more than any other players in your team - and overall we've scored 37% more goals than you have.

On our performance, were you there? I'm not sure what more we could have done, we won, had plenty of shots, dominated the ball, excellent pass accuracy. 

We have a tough run of games (Norwich, Reading, Rotherham, Sheff Utd, the crapico) - if we can stay in touch until the World Cup then with a bit of luck we will see Twine,  Churlinov and Westwood back in the squad and see where we go. I'm feeling more confident about top 6 now though, no point me pretending otherwise but I'm not confident about our game.

"If we can stay in touch" and "Feeling more confident about Top 6"? You're bloody 7/4 to WIN the league (36% chance) and 1/8 (89% chance) of finishing in the top 6.....stop trying to talk your lot down in the build up to the derby, if you're not beating us at home it'll be deemed a failure.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, superniko said:

"If we can stay in touch" and "Feeling more confident about Top 6"? You're bloody 7/4 to WIN the league (36% chance) and 1/8 (89% chance) of finishing in the top 6.....stop trying to talk your lot down in the build up to the derby, if you're not beating us at home it'll be deemed a failure.

7/4? I got us at 12/1 back in July. Only 7points between us and Reading in 8th. They beat us Saturday and its down to 4 and they'd still have a game in hand. We are also only 2 points ahead of you so you must have a similar chance of winning the league as us - plus if QPR win their game in hand they go above us.  Nothing is certain, especially with so many games still to play.

Normally when we play you I back you in a bet, a sort of cushion to soften the blow if we lose. I bet I don't get great odds despite you trying to insist we should beat you. Most on here seem to think we are not good and that you will beat us, fairly easily in some cases.

13 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

7/4? I got us at 12/1 back in July. Only 7points between us and Reading in 8th. They beat us Saturday and its down to 4 and they'd still have a game in hand. We are also only 2 points ahead of you so you must have a similar chance of winning the league as us - plus if QPR win their game in hand they go above us.  Nothing is certain, especially with so many games still to play.

Normally when we play you I back you in a bet, a sort of cushion to soften the blow if we lose. I bet I don't get great odds despite you trying to insist we should beat you. Most on here seem to think we are not good and that you will beat us, fairly easily in some cases.

A lot of blue tinted glasses and no sense of perspective I'd imagine (as you'd expect on a Rovers forum). You're comfortably the best team in the league unfortunately, followed by Sheffield United, then a bit of a gulf to the rest.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, superniko said:

A lot of blue tinted glasses and no sense of perspective I'd imagine (as you'd expect on a Rovers forum). You're comfortably the best team in the league unfortunately, followed by Sheffield United, then a bit of a gulf to the rest.

Nice to have some sensible talk. A lot of people are going to be extremely surprised when we go to the Dingledome at the level of opposition, based on this thread. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, J*B said:

Nice to have some sensible talk. A lot of people are going to be extremely surprised when we go to the Dingledome at the level of opposition, based on this thread. 

Maybe.  Although it's more BMW's and Vauxhall's now, compared to Ferrari's and Mini's.

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Yep, people making out they're a poor side etc are totally ignorant of their league position and all available stats.

Can we win? Yes. But anyone pretending it will be anything other than a very tough game (and that's ignoring the derby element) are in for a shock. We have the playing style to potentially hurt them, if we get the press right and stay organised defensively. 

Cliche I know, but 1st goal is massive. Can we finally come back from a losing position? Will they go for the jugular or sit back? Either way it would be tough - we seem disorientated whenever we concede, but then when a team sits back it's the type of style we seem to struggle against. 

1 hour ago, longsiders1882 said:

I say it every game, there's a fag paper between most teams in the Championship, look no further than yours and our matches against Brum these past couple of weeks. 

So much depends on the timing of matches, it seems to matter more in this division than the others, teams blow so hot and cold. 

It will be an intriguing match, Burnley obviously crave the possession, I'm sure Rovers will be more than happy to oblige, being happier without the ball. 

• Like 3

Burnley are a good side but they aren't the side of Dyche. They are there to be got at.

It all depends on which Rovers turns up. You just know the Wharton's and Trav are going to be up for it. I'm hoping that determination shines through. We have a lot of home grown lads compared to them - small margins matter and let's hope they are more up for it.

You can bet Kompany will have his squad up for it though. He's used to a Northern derby having played in a lesser one down the road.

Here's to hoping we play with Brittain and Hedges wing backs. I think Pickering will get torn apart by Burnley if he plays. Injuries are going to be massive.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

I think HB is 2 years younger than Van Hecke though, still not 21. I haven’t seen Van Hecke to compare but if he’s better than HB he must be a very good player and I’d imagine a lot of teams would want him on loan. The young lad we have from Gladbach is looking decent as well. Does mean our central defence pair habe an average age of 21 so definitely young and inexperienced. Mind you our full backs are only 20 and 23.

Harwood Bellis looked solid especially for his age we had him, but Van Hecke was a classy player. We've had some very good loans over the years. The ones that have stood recently out are Van Hecke and Elliott. He's completely wasted at Brighton and at 22 should be playing. Like I said earlier Mowbray will be on the phone in January, and I'll be gutted if he goes to Sunderland. Sadly I don't think CB is our priority.

7 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

I did says Strikers from the Start. Did you miss that. 

Despite all those goals we are 2 points behind you. 

Your game against Norwich was on Sky TV. So I watched the full game. 

1 hour ago, booth said:

Harwood Bellis looked solid especially for his age we had him, but Van Hecke was a classy player. We've had some very good loans over the years. The ones that have stood recently out are Van Hecke and Elliott. He's completely wasted at Brighton and at 22 should be playing. Like I said earlier Mowbray will be on the phone in January, and I'll be gutted if he goes to Sunderland. Sadly I don't think CB is our priority.

Why would Centre back signing be priority in January?.

Hyam is improvement on Lenihan or Van Hecke for me. 

I don't want to keep banging on about this but you've also had far less injuries. Some of the chatter on various message boards and social networks about us losing as many as we won a couple of weeks ago were daft. I couldn't name another team with an injury list like ours and any team would have struggled. Add to that a new manager learning about his players and them learning how to play how he wants. It's helped to stall progress for sure. At the moment we have Summer signings Brittain and Szmodics out. Second spell on the sidelines this season. Brittain especially is a fantastic player from what we've seen. A full back that runs at defences is a novelty for us Rovers fans. January signing Hedges who has played well this season is now on his second injury of the season too.

Our only real centre forward is Gallagher and for all his faults he's actually having a good campaign this year, probably because he's being played to his strengths more. He's been out injured for a spell too. He's on 7 goals, which almost equals his season total of 8 last year. So playing under Tomasson is helping him (or it may be that he's without Mowbray sticking him on the wing/bench/full back).

Also don't forget we've had 5 years of Tony Mowbray who developed a severe allergy to centre forwards, and had this fetish of turning them into wingers. Keep your eye on Sunderland. JDT must address this in January.

But yes, currently in joint second after enduring a horrendous injury list. WLWLWL could have easily have been LLLLLL. Had we not had those injuries we'd most likely hogging the top spot as we'd have at least won and drawn a few of those where we had to play kids in key positions, or worse, perpetually disappointing fringe players who should have been offloaded years ago.

Be interesting to see what happens if Tella, Rodriguez and Brownhill are out for the best part of a month.

Edited by booth
  • Like 1