BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Shebby Singh

RIP 

At a time when everyone involved at Ewood was viewed as pure evil he was more a comedy figure. He was what he was and always just came across as a nice well intentioned bloke who was several fathoms out of his depth. 

That wasn't his fault though.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Some memories off the top of my head 

1. Him asking what country Huddersfield was in, when we suggested he sign Rhodes.

2. Him making a significant personal donation to Derian House, and the tears in.his eyes during the tour of the hospice.

3. Him asking how much a protest against Shagnew would cost 

4.  Jerome Anderson calling him during a meeting to get Miles a pay rise, and on loud speaker, shebby informing Anderson that the club will be terminating his contract with immediate affect.

5. Sinking in my chair at king georges with every remark during the imfamous supporter Q/A which i must of kicked him under the table 20 times, before losing my surroundings and kicking the mayor.

6. Him agreeing to loan the ground for the legends match, for the return of tugay.

The first day I met him, he didnt half get some stick from me, fresh from our visit to the Parliament, especially with some of the signings we were making Murphy, Gomes who were older than me, i stated at the time.

He genuinely became the supporters biggest supporter, but the media machine, club PR and his own inability to not say what he thought, turned him into a villain, which hand on heart I can say he was not. Daft as a brush yes, Outspoken yes, Played the party joker 100%. However under all that was a genuine concern/,regret what had become of our club. They say "good guys never win" In some respect this is not true with Shebby, he did more to rid the club of corruption than anyone, but in other respects its very true. So many see him as part of the problem, and another dark period for the club.

As a passionate supporter, i'm lucky I saw with my own eyes the truth and although he didnt get everything right, he gave the magic word we needed at the time, which was "HOPE"

I wish I was a fly on the wall for point 4.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, lraC said:

The Morten Gamst Pensioner, is another incident that springs to mind, when I think of Shebby, which was what he blurted out at the meeting at King Georges Hall.

On that one he was 100% correct imo.

Edit: Pedersen may not actually have been a pensioner during his last five or so seasons here but for me he swung the lead and certainly played like one.

On Shebby, didn't realise he was so young. Met him very briefly once at a disabled supporters Christmas party and he seemed a genuinely nice bloke.

RIP.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Some memories off the top of my head 

1. Him asking what country Huddersfield was in, when we suggested he sign Rhodes.

2. Him making a significant personal donation to Derian House, and the tears in.his eyes during the tour of the hospice.

3. Him asking how much a protest against Shagnew would cost 

4.  Jerome Anderson calling him during a meeting to get Miles a pay rise, and on loud speaker, shebby informing Anderson that the club will be terminating his contract with immediate affect.

5. Sinking in my chair at king georges with every remark during the imfamous supporter Q/A which i must of kicked him under the table 20 times, before losing my surroundings and kicking the mayor.

6. Him agreeing to loan the ground for the legends match, for the return of tugay.

The first day I met him, he didnt half get some stick from me, fresh from our visit to the Parliament, especially with some of the signings we were making Murphy, Gomes who were older than me, i stated at the time.

He genuinely became the supporters biggest supporter, but the media machine, club PR and his own inability to not say what he thought, turned him into a villain, which hand on heart I can say he was not. Daft as a brush yes, Outspoken yes, Played the party joker 100%. However under all that was a genuine concern/,regret what had become of our club. They say "good guys never win" In some respect this is not true with Shebby, he did more to rid the club of corruption than anyone, but in other respects its very true. So many see him as part of the problem, and another dark period for the club.

As a passionate supporter, i'm lucky I saw with my own eyes the truth and although he didnt get everything right, he gave the magic word we needed at the time, which was "HOPE"

I am almost sue you once mentioned the original offer Shebby put in for Rhodes was crazily low and I think I am correct in thinking he made a jokey type of threat, about coming after your house if the Rhodes signing didn't work out.

Despite some cringe worthy things, I do actually have some fond memories of Shebby and agree, that at the time, he gave us some hope, during some very dark times.

Edited by lraC
  • Like 1

• Backroom

He was obviously ridiculously out of his depth in the position he was assigned here, but I never sensed any malice from Singh. Not in the same way you felt like from the likes of Kean, Agnew, Anderson, etc. He was a fool being paid a king's ransom for a job he had no business in, but he isn't somebody I think back on with any anger. Disbelief at some of his statements and frustration at how he embarrassed the club at times, but still far behind many, many others when it came to the club's destruction. Just a footnote in the grand scheme of things.

Condolences to his family and friends. 

• Like 1

Bit shocked to hear of this news today. It was only a few weeks back that I found myself watching a number of interviews from Shebby talking about his time at Rovers. I remember him saying how he felt there was a 'ridicule culture' in the media here which didn't help his cause.

Despite anything he may have said or done while at the club, he was a good guy who meant well. He was definitely on our side and the role he played in getting rid of the poisonous influences at Rovers will never be forgotten.

My favourite Shebby story has to be him stunning Anderson over the phone by telling him that Myles can leave with immediate effect.

Condolences to Shebby's family and friends.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, glen9mullan said:

Like him or loathe him, Shebby had many faults, and should of been nowhere near running a football club, or charged with making football decisions.

That being said, he was the advisor not the cheque writer.

From a personal point of view, Shebby will be remembered by me for being instrumental in the demise of Anderson, Kean, Shaw and Agnew. Be under no illusions, without him this club would still be in the grips of those who caused it so much harm.

There is many incidents of kindness I saw from Shebby non football related. He was a family man, quite religious and you certainly knew when he entered a room.

My thoughts are with his family,  R.i.p

It is sad news and I agree for the most part but its just the public disrespect he showed to MGP that really didn't sit well with me, He was right in that we had a few seniors/veterans here at the time that where just here for rhe salary and not pulling their weight or fighting for the cause but he made a poor mistake by lumping Pedersen in with that lot

• Like 2

It's always sad news when anyone passes away prematurely at such a young age.

I agree totally with what others have said, that during his brief stint at The Rovers, he was always well intentioned, if at times misguided.

Condolences to Shebby's family and friends.

RIP Shebby.

• Like 1