BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer Deadline Day 2022

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

Hedges has played in the championship before and done nothing though? 

But not for Rovers. And Zeefuik has had two games - let’s not forget before that he was dropped by Hertha Berlin and playing for Groningen.

Hedges played for Barnsley too. Armstrong didn’t perform for them or Bolton before he came to us. He might turn out to be a nothing player but let’s not write him off already. Different team, different results. It’s the usual way with football. 

• Like 1

Overall, not a terrible window but our business, or lack of, has been heightened by our closest promotion rivals business.

Biggest shame is Markanday getting injured for the rest of the season, would have been a great option off the bench. 

Ultimately, I still think we are treading too fine of a line with basically being 1 injury away in any key area to struggling.

Squad depth vs the squad depth of Bournemouth will probably see us miss out on automatic promotion which leaves us, bar a catastrophic collapse, in the lottery of the play offs.

Bigger picture and problem is that failure to get promoted and we will probably need a new manager and a lot key players will be gone for free, giving us minimal funds to replace.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

A few people reporting that we had money to spend, but we didn’t. If that’s the case, why did Mowbray say what he did about reinvesting money from Rothwell?

Is he given a budget to spend as he sees fit? Was he given transfer funds but not a wage budget to go with it? Does the budget only stretch to players Venky’s personally approve? Why does it take forever for us to finalise deals?

Something doesn’t add up. It’s too easy to blame it on Mowbray/Waggott’s incompetence, if they were that bad surely something would’ve been done about it by now. We are in far better shape on the pitch than off it.

See Warnock and Lambert for proof of where the failure lies.

The AA money was always going to disappear into the financial black hole and we all knew this beforehand, nothing new sadly.

Also not much point worrying about the training ground money either as non probably ever actually changed hands for that in one transaction. Just an accounting exercise covering funds already dripped up and in return giving Venkys some personal collateral in return.

Just clever accounting towards FFP and if they ever want to take some brass back out of the club, say when BBD is sold, then they can transfer ownership back. 

This window is just about par for the course budget wise.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mustard said:

Wolves fans are disappointed Giles has left on loan.  They believe he should be challenging for a first team spot.  Combined with his impressive assist record, could bode well for us (I hope!)

Sounds like he'll be in at left wing back to start with but once Pickering is back, where else would this lad slot into the team?

17 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

A few people reporting that we had money to spend, but we didn’t. If that’s the case, why did Mowbray say what he did about reinvesting money from Rothwell?

Is he given a budget to spend as he sees fit? Was he given transfer funds but not a wage budget to go with it? Does the budget only stretch to players Venky’s personally approve? Why does it take forever for us to finalise deals?

Something doesn’t add up. It’s too easy to blame it on Mowbray/Waggott’s incompetence, if they were that bad surely something would’ve been done about it by now. We are in far better shape on the pitch than off it.

The things that don’t add up ? Dembele fee agreed he chose Bournemouth nothing to do with Rovers. Other offers were made none were accepted not Rovers fault if clubs demand too much ! What baffles me is letting Butterworth go as we have very little cover up front UNLESS there are some freebies out there 

11 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Totally agree.  I don't believe for a minute that there was money to spend - hence why Mowbray suggested using the proceeds from a Rothwell sale to strengthen the team.  The fact that players went out on loan before we could bring our own loan signing in suggests that finances are extremely tight.  

Apart from the Jack Walker/Walker Trust period, running a tight ship has been the story of the overwhelming majority of my 60 plus years of supporting Rovers.  

On paper Fulham and Bournemouth should now storm away in the top two places but, as we know from our own experiences in 1991-92, trying to buy your way out of this league is not always that straightforward.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

And there is the rub for me. Mowbray actually talked about bringing two 23/24 year olds with the money from the potential Rothwell sale. Surely if he had money he would have gone and got them or at the very least spent it. Personally I doubt there was any money to spend. On the face of it we are marginally stronger with the incomings but there are lots of variables too. How will Hedges settle? is Brown anywhere near ready yet. Zeefuik looks good and Giles should but the ground running. I would have liked to have seen a couple more to strengthen the squad which will looks a little light to me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Sounds like he'll be in at left wing back to start with but once Pickering is back, where else would this lad slot into the team?

At least one of the wide forward spots - but ideally he'll be able to cover Rothwell's role in the centre. Not certain if he can, though I think he played centrally for Cardiff a bit. 

51 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I think that Bournemouth’s activity shows they are bricking it about not going up tbh. Parker isn’t all that good of a manager and he needs to massage a lot of egos and keep a lot of players happy. Remember there is only room for 11 players at a time! It’s far from over.

Indeed. For all my moaning last night, I agree they have one big issue - Parker. Spoke to my old man this morning (non Rovers fan) and he said exactly the same, "they can sign who they want but they won't get promoted with him in charge."

Great to see WBA sticking with Ismael too. They backed him over Snodgrass and a mini player rebellion by all accounts.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

The things that don’t add up ? Dembele fee agreed he chose Bournemouth nothing to do with Rovers. Other offers were made none were accepted not Rovers fault if clubs demand too much ! What baffles me is letting Butterworth go as we have very little cover up front UNLESS there are some freebies out there 

Bournemouth blowing everyone out of the water with wages will be how they got Dembele.

You can’t just absolve the club of any blame for apparent offers not being accepted. The first thing you have to do in any transfer scenario is make it financially attractive enough for the selling club to consider. Whether we didn’t offer enough, or went for players out of our financial reach, not having further achievable targets is a failing at our end.

Why didn’t we sign at least one of the two players Mowbray mentioned as Rothwell replacements, if he had money burning a hole in his pocket?

7 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Indeed. For all my moaning last night, I agree they have one big issue - Parker. Spoke to my old man this morning (non Rovers fan) and he said exactly the same, "they can sign who they want but they won't get promoted with him in charge."

Great to see WBA sticking with Ismael too. They backed him over Snodgrass and a mini player rebellion by all accounts.

So appears Snodgrass a free agent now? similar player to Rothwell and while probably mid-thirties, might be worth a punt as a bit of nous and experience in the squad?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I think the fact we had an offer for Dembele accepted, shows there was money to spend. In rovers recent terms, that would of been above what we usually spend.

The wages are our biggest issue,

How can Waggott justify giving a new siginng 10-15k plus if he wont offer anywhere near that to the players out of contract?

He wants to stick to the wage structure, he believes is market rate. Sadly thats not the case, other clubs are paying more.

I expect we will hear, wage demands were just out of our reach, 

• Like 1

I think now the dust has settled on an underwhelming final day, I think reflecting back on the window as a whole, we definitely finish the window in a stronger position than we started it. I am not surprised that Venkys didnt show more ambition but I think we have on paper boosted the squad with 3 bits of quality. The Markanday situation is unfortunate but ultimately he is an irrelevance to our season and Brown is not a first teamer.

The key is always avoiding situations whereby we arent competitive and go into games with our hands tied behind our back, that has happened 3 times for me at least (Huddersfield away, Blackpool away and Luton away) and it will be hard enough to get the points we need for 2nd without not being competitive for the full 46 games.

Obviously the key lies with injuries too, we dont have the squad depth of those around us. Any news on Gallagher and Edun? @RoversClitheroe you said that Edun is out for the season, where was this from? Hopefully we have Pickering, Dolan and Dack available soon too.

I look at the squad, I feel like we could have done with another goalscorer albeit that is difficult on a pittance. With Buckley and Dack as the false 9, that leaves us with Brereton, Hedges, Khadra, Gallagher and Dolan fighting for 2 spots, maybe Poveda at a push before the end of the season. Thats one short for me and fingers crossed that Brereton comes back ok too but id like to think we wont have a repeat of last weekend with those options at least. Wing back/full back has caused us problems especially when Nyambe has been out (think Magloire having to play or even moving Buckley) so hopefully Zeefuik (and at a push Rankin Costello although equal questions about quality and durability) can ensure that we dont have any games where similar happens. Giles is a really good Championship player who will also add a set piece threat so happy with him, Edun is not a good defender but fitness permitting he would give us another option in a more suitable midfield role in which we look a bit short otherwise. Johnson has been good in the last 2 games, Snodgrass would be worth a look but wouldnt happen.

A potential concern is in the back 3, 4 isnt enough when one is injury prone and 2 are approaching suspension. Kaminski has to stay fit too.

Overall, possibly a 6 out of 10, maybe 6.5 for me. More ambition was needed to be honest from the owners.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

When Butterworth has been on the pitch we may as well have been down to 10 men. His performance against Middlesbrough was appalling, he didn’t break out of a jog. Deadwood. Glad to see him gone. Hopefully he can sharpen up on loan.

43 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

He’s played as an attacking midfielder before. He’s got more assists than Rothwell this season. He beats Buckley too:

1 minute ago, glen9mullan said:

I think the fact we had an offer for Dembele accepted, shows there was money to spend. In rovers recent terms, that would of been above what we usually spend.

The wages are our biggest issue,

How can Waggott justify giving a new siginng 10-15k plus if he wont offer anywhere near that to the players out of contract?

He wants to stick to the wage structure, he believes is market rate. Sadly thats not the case, other clubs are paying more.

I expect we will hear, wage demands were just out of our reach, 

Other clubs are paying more = Bournemouth.

We can’t compete on a level footing with them given parachute payments and FFP restraints. That’s just the reality all championship clubs who haven’t recently been in the PL find themselves in. 

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

Are we stronger now than we were on 1st January? I think we probably are. We didn’t lose any of the three amigos and we’ve added some good attacking options. Injuries are the biggest worry to us now (and probably have been all season due to our small squad)

You're assuming Rothwell will play at the same level he's been at. For all sorts of reasons, that might not occur.

Not least will be the reaction of the fans.

3 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Other clubs are paying more = Bournemouth.

We can’t compete on a level footing with them given parachute payments and FFP restraints. That’s just the reality all championship clubs who haven’t recently been in the PL find themselves in. 

Which answers the question of it not being a case of money not being available.

We couldnt afford/compete with the wages