BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

In truth I think a lot of players will get a chance of a fresh slate under a new manager

There's one or two fans who rubbish any player throughout, same goes for all clubs, there will always be that type of person. SG is a Rovers player, JDT was a goalscorer, and I'm hoping he can get a tune out of him

At least, I am hoping he doesn't play him right wing. JDT will understand the importance of 'being between the sticks' for a strikers chance of scoring and mentality

• Like 2

I think SG can get 15+ a season playing as a central striker in the right team.

I’d love to know who we’re looking at. Wouldn’t surprise me if GB and JDT not being at training was more to do with them meeting players and agents than work permit issues.

I can’t see this lot hanging about. The whole “we’ll look inside first” thing is a way of keeping current players happy. They’ll already know who the good ones are, who needs replacing asap and where the initial gaps in the squad are!

GB was quick to tell us that they don’t have to wait….🤞🏽🔥🔥

• Like 1

Gallagher has (officially) been a 1 in 5 goalscorer under Mowbray DESPITE him playing 80% of games on the right wing. (That's 23 goals in 118 league games with Mowbray's tactical nonsense).

Those saying that he can't make a jump from basically a guaranteed 9 a season to almost double that (15 to 20 range) if played at CF, are probably just fundamentally negative towards Gallagher.

Dolan and Buckley scored (best guess) 4 goals in 40 games combined as the "False 9" last season, Gallagher would walk into triple that number -That's obvious.

Gallagher could easily be a 1 in 3 scorer as a 9 in a top half team. 15 goals should be his minimum target. 20+ if BBD leaves and Gally becomes the Penalty taker.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Gallagher has (officially) been a 1 in 5 goalscorer under Mowbray DESPITE him playing 80% of games on the right wing. (That's 23 goals in 118 league games with Mowbray's tactical nonsense).

Those saying that he can't make a jump from basically a guaranteed 9 a season to almost double that (15 to 20 range) if played at CF, are probably just fundamentally negative towards Gallagher.

Dolan and Buckley scored (best guess) 4 goals in 40 games combined as the "False 9" last season, Gallagher would walk into triple that number -That's obvious.

Gallagher could easily be a 1 in 3 scorer as a 9 in a top half team. 15 goals should be his minimum target. 20+ if BBD leaves and Gally becomes the Penalty taker.

22 goals in 3 years is pish poor....whichever way you dress it up he's a terrible player with a very poor touch, crap close control and doesn't score.....

Be interesting to see what happens with this 'wage structure'.

Sounded very much like a Mowbray/Venus/Waggott decision to implement it so strictly. 

Wonder if GB and JDT will see it the same way or if it really is a directive from above!

32 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Sounded very much like a Mowbray/Venus/Waggott decision to implement it so strictly. 

Wonder if GB and JDT will see it the same way or if it really is a directive from above!

Gregg Broughton said same wage budget as last season but healthy budget for transfers 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gregg Broughton said same wage budget as last season but healthy budget for transfers 

Budget isn't anything to do with the structure though.

10 hours ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

He must be one of the worst headers won to height ratio in the history of football...

I had a row with somebody on here about his lack of heading ability when we signed him the second time. For a big guy he’s pretty poor at making contested headers. Unopposed, he’s not too bad. Same goes for Brererton.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Big money for their favs/signings/ex Boro boys and naff all for lads coming through by looks of it.

Mowbray loved his pecking order and seniority dictating things.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

It will remain in place, GB has alluded to that in his interview and is probably the reason why we've lost the club captain.

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

22 goals in 3 years is pish poor....whichever way you dress it up he's a terrible player with a very poor touch, crap close control and doesn't score.....

I'm still not prepared to give up on him till he's had one season in his natural position.

I've no problem with a wage structure but it's got to be sensible. Last season it felt like academy lads were being held back (wage wise) by virtue of the fact they'd come through the academy. 

When ayala is paid 15k a week to chat to the physios, you've got to then pay lenihan who was playing every game and wearing the armband, atleast a comparative wage if not higher. 

• Like 6

Gallaghers goal return (ie. 7-8 goals a season) has been pretty consistent for the last few seasons considering he's mostly played out of position. I'd love to see a breakdown of his goals/game at centre forward vs his goals/game out on the right, but I didn't have the presence of mind to track that.

As a first choice striker not particularly good, but if we end up playing with one up front and either keep BBD (unlikely) or bring in a new striker as first choice then use SG as the back up striker I'll bet that coming off the bench or as rotation he'll get a similar number of minutes at #9. If he bags 7-8 goals as a back up striker that's an ok return.

For comparison most of the top half of the championship had their second best goalscorers got 10 or fewer this season just gone, the exception I think being Forest who had players with 18 and 12.

So not amazing, doubly so not as one of our highest earners, but not awful. If we can't get decent money for him he'll do a job.

We need players in before we start getting rid of what we have.

38 minutes ago, 47er said:

Takes some of the gloss from our new-found optimism eh?

We have to work within the confines of FFP I guess and it takes someone with more nous than Waggott to manoeuvre around those restrictions, it can be done if you have the desire.

The bottom line in this league will always be, the biggest wages and the biggest budgets eventually get promoted, its as simple as that, no matter how good the manager is or isn't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

He's a new generation Jason Roberts.

For comparison, Dolan has 7 goals in 71 appearances and Buckley has a staggering 1 in 17.5 ratio (7 goals in 123 games, or 4.5 years as a starter). Buckley has played about as much as Gallagher and many more minutes as the 9.

This isn't a bash on Buckley or Dolan, or even Gallgher hype. But I'd be pretty damn confident wagering Gallgher scores 15+ IF played consistently as a CF.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AspRover said:

Gallaghers goal return (ie. 7-8 goals a season) has been pretty consistent for the last few seasons considering he's mostly played out of position. I'd love to see a breakdown of his goals/game at centre forward vs his goals/game out on the right, but I didn't have the presence of mind to track that.

As a first choice striker not particularly good, but if we end up playing with one up front and either keep BBD (unlikely) or bring in a new striker as first choice then use SG as the back up striker I'll bet that coming off the bench or as rotation he'll get a similar number of minutes at #9. If he bags 7-8 goals as a back up striker that's an ok return.

For comparison most of the top half of the championship had their second best goalscorers got 10 or fewer this season just gone, the exception I think being Forest who had players with 18 and 12.

So not amazing, doubly so not as one of our highest earners, but not awful. If we can't get decent money for him he'll do a job.

We need players in before we start getting rid of what we have.

How things change. I remember when the dingles got to the cup final in 1962 all 5 forwards ( yes 5 ) had scored over 15 goals each ! That was when teams usually had more or less the same 11 playing for all the 90 minutes of every game. Defenders didn’t normally get more than a goal or two between them then.
No wonder they got fed up with Dycheball.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

The wage structure in any business is imperative for longevity and consistency.

I don’t thing anyone in here knows what that is and / or how sensible it is. In reference to Lenihan it would seem from most of the reports that he was happy with the money?

im keen to see if opening up new markets makes our structure quite effective.

Just now, booth said:

Have we learnt nothing from January?

Oh we absolutely need a striker (two if Brereton leaves [I think he will]), I'm just not throwing Gallagher on the scrap heap just yet.

15 goals for him next season is achievable. If he does that and makes himself a nuisance he's worth keeping around - I doubt anyone is lining up to take us off our hands with his contract.

• Like 3