BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Broughton has spoken to the owners directly given his words he has said when appointed. 

Broughton has said we have healthy budget transfer wise. 

I know what Broughton has said to the press. 

Which specifically of the owners has he spoken to? This might appear to many to be a minor point but my view is that this is very important, because if you want to get things done here it needs to be the owners who have the power to delegate.

As I said earlier 'healthy' budget could mean anything. I imagine even with budgets slashed on last year it would still be 'healthy' compared to what Bodo Glimt players were on.

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Haha - I’m glad you said that first!

I agree, he has his hands tied a lot by Suhail (Venkys). I know from the conversation I had with him after the Sheff U game that he’d have happily sold all three at Christmas and wasn’t allowed to.

Hang on,  this was the bloke that was going round telling people in the lounges that DL was about to put pen to paper last Autumn wasn't it?

Brand new category 1 Academy also promised prior to that in a space that wouldn't support it and a new pitch promised after a game was called off to placate people which never happened either.

The guy can't lie straight in bed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Which specifically of the owners has he spoken to? This might appear to many to be a minor point but my view is that this is very important, because if you want to get things done here it needs to be the owners who have the power to delegate.

As I said earlier 'healthy' budget could mean anything. I imagine even with budgets slashed on last year it would still be 'healthy' compared to what Bodo Glimt players were on.

I’m sure he said healthy compared to every team not with parachute payments.

That would be a decent position for us to be in. At a guess 3-5 million to spend on signings and a decent budget for wages when you consider what we have lost this year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't, but I equally don't assume absolutely everything I read is 100% factual.

I trust @Paul Mani wouldn't posted rumours on the forum and would only posted on reliable info and sources 

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

He has never said which owners he has spoken to. 

I'm sure he would choose his words carefully and I will judge at the end of transfer window. 

I think we loan a couple of players, a couple of low fees/free transfers signings then a couple of 2-3 million signings

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

RN not so long ago he wasn't signing because Venus had advised him he could join himself and Mowbray at West Brom on much better deals.

That is what you were telling us not long ago, now I know you will reply that it was Rothwells dad said it but even if the case it turned out to be well wrong and are now saying it's the complete opposite that Nyambe's reluctance to initially sign a new deal here was due to bullying from Venus?

The story changes completely when the first version of events didn't turn out to be true!

We can bicker on here all we like, but the bottom line is we are three key players, five loanees and possibly BBD down from where we were by the end of the January window with around one month to go to the start of the new season. 

So potentially NINE players down and no real sign of anyone coming in! Why havent we for example got our ducks in a row and a couple of oven ready players ready to come in after June 30 th?

If anyone who isn't concerned by that, I want a pint of what they're on!

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It wasn’t actually that wrong….believe it or not, Mowbray was WBA choice before Bruce and he turned them down. Bruce held onto his job by the skin of his teeth or it would’ve come to fruition….

As for Nyambe, his relationship with TM is / was brilliant. It’s Venus who created the bad feeling…which I’ve been told is the thing which destabilised RN 🤷🏽‍♂️

Yeah but if Mowbray had been appointed at West Brom then chances are Venus would have been following him there. 

I'm sorry but very hard to believe any of this that isn't a criticism of you sharing it but i just don't think that's the way things went down 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We can bicker on here all we like, but the bottom line is we are three key players, five loanees and possibly BBD down from where we were by the end of the January window with around one month to go to the start of the new season. 

So potentially NINE players down and no real sign of anyone coming in! Why havent we for example got our ducks in a row and a couple of oven ready players ready to come in after June 30 th?

I'm preferring (perhaps deludedly) to believe that we'll make 3-4 solid signings and rely on our academy guys to fill the gaps rather than external loans.

Personally think that Carter, A.Wharton, Garrett, Burns should be afforded the opportunity throughout the season to fill in the 'Davenport/Johnson' type gaps. If we need bodies, use the academy rather than buying them.

Buy quality if we need it.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Please never use the term 'oven ready' again.

As for the rest - I'm mildly concerned, but we have to trust JDT and Broughton to get on with the job. If they have anything about them they'll quickly realise which areas we need to strengthen and will have a shortlist of players to go after. Selling Brereton early in the window will be crucial. 

It was always going to be a tough ask with how long the manager saga rolled on (and the earlier start to the season) - we just have to roll with the punches now. 

19 minutes ago, imy9 said:

I’m sure he said healthy compared to every team not with parachute payments.

That would be a decent position for us to be in. At a guess 3-5 million to spend on signings and a decent budget for wages when you consider what we have lost this year.

I'll be very surprised if we spend near to £5 million

• Like 1

4 hours ago, K-Hod said:

I think the shambles of the situation in losing three players for nothing can be summed up quite easily.

Rothwell- he was always going to go, so I’m a bit easier with that one, but it’s incompetence of the highest order to turn down a £3 Million bid from the club the player ultimately ends up at anyway, then lose them for free!

Lenihan- if we didn’t have Ayala on the books, would we have been able to afford to keep him? I think it’s a point worth considering, especially given we signed Ayala to a decent contract, knowing his wretched injury record.

Nyambe- a bit of a strange one in all honesty. I thought with a change of manager, he may stay, so I suppose this puts to bed the argument he wanted out because of Mowbray. He was good for us defensively, but attacking wise, offered very little if we’re being completely true with ourselves.

In all fairness though, if someone gets the opportunity to earn more money elsewhere to do the same job, in what they perceive to be better conditions, then I’d certainly jump ship and I imagine the rest of us would too. That’s why I always find it a bit strange that fans hold footballers to a different standard.

Ayala if fit, is better than Lennihan anyway. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mike E said:

I'm preferring (perhaps deludedly) to believe that we'll make 3-4 solid signings and rely on our academy guys to fill the gaps rather than external loans.

Personally think that Carter, A.Wharton, Garrett, Burns should be afforded the opportunity throughout the season.

I think that would be absolutely fine Mike. Once we actually get the "3-4 solid signings" we can all breathe far easier.

Maybe we'll find it a lot easier to get deals over the line than we have in the past with Broughton doing the negotiating as opposed to Mowbray/Venus/Waggott.

On the loan front, if we do bring some in, more quality and less quantity required. Need everyone to be a hit like Van Hecke and not misses on 10k p.w. like Poveda or downright flops like Douglas or Trybull.

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Maybe we are closing in on a couple of free transfers. 

A couple of those loanees were waste of time like Leighton Clarkson and Ryan Giles

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Personally think that Carter, A.Wharton, Garrett, Burns should be afforded the opportunity throughout the season.

Relying on our academy players to fill so many gaps would be suicidal. You look at many of the loans signed here and elsewhere over the last few years and they are a very valid way of massively improving the quality of the side and making it competitive.

You mention Burns, he scored 2 in 15 at Scunthorpe last season.

• Like 3

Anyone else a little unnerved by all the youths being given pro contracts?  Law of averages says at least half of them are never going to be good enough for the first team.  

Just seems a way of filling the numbers which doesn't exactly bode well on transfers.  Particularly when you think of wages we are dishing out on these untested players.  Just hoping they won't be on a lot of money so it won't make too much of a dent.

31 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Broughton has been at Norwich and Luton before. He knows what a healthy Championship budget looks like - obviously the worry is that the owners have promised X, but will only deliver Y.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Relying on our academy players to fill so many gaps would be suicidal. You look at many of the loans signed here and elsewhere over the last few years and they are a very valid way of massively improving the quality of the side and making it competitive.

You keeping slamming these loans spells Sam Burns had or Jack Vale had without seeing them live for those clubs? is this correct? If you watched of those games can you say what was good and bad about their performances? 

I think @Mike Eis right to say that we should be given some players a chance to be part of the first team squad going forward. @J*Bsaid yesterday that players like Adam Wharton, Harry Leonard, etc will be given the chance to impress on our pre season training camp to Portugal

7 minutes ago, mustard said:

Anyone else a little unnerved by all the youths being given pro contracts?  Law of averages says at least half of them are never going to be good enough for the first team.  

Just seems a way of filling the numbers which doesn't exactly bode well on transfers.  Particularly when you think of wages we are dishing out on these untested players.  Just hoping they won't be on a lot of money so it won't make too much of a dent.

Wood looks a very good prospect for the future. 

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Burns is absolutely made for the high pressing game. Tenatious, aggressive and fast. He is a good finisher as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

He said he had spoken to the board who represent/speak on the behalf of the owners. 

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You keeping slamming these loans spells Sam Burns had or Jack Vale had without seeing them live for those clubs? is this correct? If you watched of those games can you say what was good and bad about their performances? 

I think @Mike Eis right to say that we should be given some players a chance to be part of the first team squad going forward. @J*Bsaid yesterday that players like Adam Wharton, Harry Leonard, etc will be given the chance to impress on our pre season training camp to Portugal

Wood looks a very good prospect for the future. 

I am not getting into the debate about how many kids we can rely on etc but there is a lot of hypocrisy in you pulling me up for questioning loan spells in which our young strikers barely scored in massively inferior leagues considering the plethora of players you have suggested based on their stats or on the back of cleverly edited youtube videos!

1 hour ago, mustard said:

I think the step up over the last few years and last seasons early form has got a few down there a bit over excited. 

Risk v reward paid off last season in terms of us not fighting relegation after the youthful wage slashing revolution.  However the post 2nd place slump and the 0-7 home beating should be serving as massive red flags.  The squad now is significantly weaker than it was then.

They are going down a very rocky road if they don't allow some quality and experience to be brought in.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mustard said:

No. They're quite short deals, some of them are still only 18 and may improve, we need to field a competitive u21 side, and the money will be a relative pittance. The only one I've voiced concern on is in fact how pointlessly short Patrick Gamble's 1 year deal is.

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Yeah but if Mowbray had been appointed at West Brom then chances are Venus would have been following him there. 

I'm sorry but very hard to believe any of this that isn't a criticism of you sharing it but i just don't think that's the way things went down 

That’s fine. Everyone tries to apply their own logic. Quick one though….Venus asking the lads not to sign elsewhere in the belief that Tony would get the WBA job this summer in no way stops the lads from disliking him because he’s a bully. They’re not related.

But I’m fine with whatever you think went down pal.