BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

To try to put a positive spin on things all three of Nyambe, Lenihan & Rothwell played in the 0-7 home hammering by Fulham last season. Van Hecke gets excused a bit cos he was sent-off whilst only 0-2 down. So do Gallagher & Pickering,who didnt play. Only 3 points I know but........

then there was the "Mowbray meltdown" after Xmas.

Maybe changing manager and not standing in the way of a few players isnt really so bad?

There is no doubt that our lack of business is worrying - however it’s far from panic time yet.

The reality is this season is and was always going to be a period of transition - I only feel we can properly judge JDT on next season. There are a lot of poor teams in the league this season - Blackpool, Rotherham, Reading, Cardiff, Birmingham etc etc. I don’t feel we are in too much risk of being relegated. We certainly won’t be going up. 

With players such as Vale, Wharton, Garrett and Phillips and Carter very much look apart of the first team picture this season I only really feel we need 3-4 quality signings to keep us on track for where we need to be to challenge next season. A RB, CB, and a CM need to be the priority with an attacker with pace being a bonus. Blood the youngsters through this season and set them up for a quality campaign, where JDT has had enough time to get across his principle of plays and then we have can have a proper go at it.

GK: Kaminski, Eastman, Pears

Full backs: NEW (RB), Brown, Pickering, Edun, JRC

CB: NEW, Wharton, Carter, Phillips, Ayala

CM: Travis, Buckley, Dack, New, Wharton, Garrett

Wingers: Markandy, Dolan, Diaz, Hedges 

Strikers: Gally, Vale

Not the strongest of squads but by no means terrible and should be enough to keep us mid table. Aslong as the signings brought it we’re of starting 11 standard I’d be pretty content with that. Perhaps a little leight upfront but Dolan and Diaz can both play up there. 

5 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Maybe changing manager and not standing in the way of a few players isnt really so bad?

Changing manager certainly isn't but losing 4 key members of the first X1 and (so far) not replacing them certainly is!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Never mind recruitment, we can’t even get retainment right. Maybe we need a head of retainment too.

If the rumours about Phillips not signing are correct - and let’s be honest, that contract will have been offered ages ago in the hope he signed the day he turned 17 - we might as well just accept our fate as a modern day, slightly better (for the time being) Crewe. But even they tended to get a fee.

Can’t blame Phillips. We have heard loads of people argue that we couldn’t pay Lenihan more as it would upset other members of the squad. Well what message are we sending to the young lads? The situation with Nyambe and Lenihan tells them that before long the will have to leave Rovers to be paid a going rate.

I’m sure some people will soon decide that Bosman is the route of all evil 30 years after it’s inception, and peddle the myth that it somehow penalises Rovers disproportionately more than any other team. More excuses for our incompetence.

Lenihen was offered 22k per week that is from the horses mouth.

Travis was happy to sign a long term deal last year.

If we lose Phillips not sure how the club can be criticized for it?He is the top young talent of his age in the country and every big club in the country is looking at him.

Do you honestly believe even bottom half prem teams don't lose their top talents to top 6 clubs when they come calling?It happens all the time.

If he ends up at one of those clubs fair enough but if he ends up at one of the big 6 then it's unfortunate for us but not too sure what you expect the club to do put a gun to his head and force him up put pen to paper? 

City ,Pool, United ,Chelsea etc pay some of their under 18s 15+ grand a week 

Edited by islander200

18 minutes ago, islander200 said:

If we lose Phillips not sure how the club can be criticized for it?He is the top young talent of his age in the country and every big club in the country is looking at him.

Do you honestly believe even bottom half prem teams don't lose their top talents to top 6 clubs when they come calling?It happens all the time.

If he ends up at one of those clubs fair enough but if he ends up at one of the big 6 then it's unfortunate for us but not too sure what you expect the club to do put a gun to his head and force him up put pen to paper? 

Is it not also from the horses mouth that we spent a couple of years lowballing him before finally caving after he’d decided he was off?

If there’s nothing we can do to keep our best young players then our model is all wrong, and it makes recruitment from other clubs all the more important.

If a take it or leave it offer dictated by “the structure” isn’t cutting it with Phillips, we need to go back and engage and make a better offer. If he is the top young talent in the country then pay him accordingly, not a standard deal the same as players who will likely drop into the non-league system.

All the noises from the club have been about how great he is and how he’d be signing a deal as soon as it was his birthday. They have follow through on it.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, harryhealless1928 said:

To try to put a positive spin on things all three of Nyambe, Lenihan & Rothwell played in the 0-7 home hammering by Fulham last season. Van Hecke gets excused a bit cos he was sent-off whilst only 0-2 down. So do Gallagher & Pickering,who didnt play. Only 3 points I know but........

then there was the "Mowbray meltdown" after Xmas.

Fair points, we had an ok start and great run but they all played a park in the great demise.

Standing in their way though is wide of the mark as at no point did that happen with Nyambe and Lenihen.  We failed to tie them down years ago and over the last 6 months they've made their own minds up to go on frees.

Just like in the case of the manager when it comes to those 3 players it's all about who comes in to replace them as to whether they are as big a loss as we assume.

12 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Is it not also from the horses mouth that we spent a couple of years lowballing him before finally caving after he’d decided he was off?

If there’s nothing we can do to keep our best young players then our model is all wrong, and it makes recruitment from other clubs all the more important.

If a take it or leave it offer dictated by “the structure” isn’t cutting it with Phillips, we need to go back and engage and make a better offer. If he is the top young talent in the country then pay him accordingly, not a standard deal the same as players who will likely drop into the non-league system.

All the noises from the club have been about how great he is and how he’d be signing a deal as soon as it was his birthday. They have follow through on it.

A championship  club can't be paying their top talents what the top 6 clubs pay them.Be realistic here 

A city ,a Liverpool, a united can afford to pay an untested 16/17 year old 15k a week and get it wrong. 

Agree about Lenihen and the others.

But the structure and ceiling has obviously been looked as Lenihen did get that offer.

And Travis an academy graduate signed a long term deal last season and would have got a significant increase on his money 

35 minutes ago, TruRover said:

There is no doubt that our lack of business is worrying - however it’s far from panic time yet.

The reality is this season is and was always going to be a period of transition - I only feel we can properly judge JDT on next season. There are a lot of poor teams in the league this season - Blackpool, Rotherham, Reading, Cardiff, Birmingham etc etc. I don’t feel we are in too much risk of being relegated. We certainly won’t be going up. 

With players such as Vale, Wharton, Garrett and Phillips and Carter very much look apart of the first team picture this season I only really feel we need 3-4 quality signings to keep us on track for where we need to be to challenge next season. A RB, CB, and a CM need to be the priority with an attacker with pace being a bonus. Blood the youngsters through this season and set them up for a quality campaign, where JDT has had enough time to get across his principle of plays and then we have can have a proper go at it.

GK: Kaminski, Eastman, Pears

Full backs: NEW (RB), Brown, Pickering, Edun, JRC

CB: NEW, Wharton, Carter, Phillips, Ayala

CM: Travis, Buckley, Dack, New, Wharton, Garrett

Wingers: Markandy, Dolan, Diaz, Hedges 

Strikers: Gally, Vale

Not the strongest of squads but by no means terrible and should be enough to keep us mid table. Aslong as the signings brought it we’re of starting 11 standard I’d be pretty content with that. Perhaps a little leight upfront but Dolan and Diaz can both play up there. 

Are we already writing this season off then? Surely, the aim of bringing in a new manager was to improve on last season's 8th place finish. Instead, we're back to starting from scratch again, only with an even cheaper route in mind (as if that was possible). The squad looks frightening when written out like that. Frighteningly poor, IMO. The full backs are shocking for a start. I don't think we'll even be in with a chance of 'having a go next season' if that is what we go into this season with.

I agree that there are some poor teams in this Division, but right now I wouldn't be too confident of us beating those teams in bold. The kids that are being talked up will be eaten up for breakfast, IMO. I'm still waiting for McBride and Butterworth to step up for us, as I was told by a few on here last season.

There's too much emphasis on youth, romantic notions clouding reality, IMO, and I fear we are all about to get a sharp reality check.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

We’re talking to two different horses here - now he’s left, I’ve been amongst a conversation where Darragh said “I’ve not asked for anything stupid. If they make me one of the top earners I’ll sign. When Dani (Ayala) is on more than any other defender, I expect to be on the same as him. They’ve not offered me his money.”

*that’s roughly what I heard him say and the jist of the conversation

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, J*B said:

We’re talking to two different horses here - now he’s left, I’ve been amongst a conversation where Darragh said “I’ve not asked for anything stupid. If they make me one of the top earners I’ll sign. When Dani (Ayala) is on more than any other defender, I expect to be on the same as him. They’ve not offered me his money.”

Another poster on here said about the 22k per week contract offer from a different source than me.

My ex house mate from London has known Lenihen since childhood, was at his wedding as I was and when asked Darragh said the last offer he received was 22k per week.It was too late and he had already decided on Boro.

25 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Another poster on here said about the 22k per week contract offer from a different source than me.

My ex house mate from London has known Lenihen since childhood, was at his wedding as I was and when asked Darragh said the last offer he received was 22k per week.It was too late and he had already decided on Boro.

my mate from the ribble valley regularly speaks to diaz,who lives in the area,he says tommason is a keen naturist,who insists on the side training in the nude

• Like 2

I’d be making a Centre half, a left back and a right back an absolute priority over anything. Pickering is miles away from being good enough, I’ve thought this since the second half of last season. The lad has no pace whatsoever, he needs replacing. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, J*B said:

It's a funny one because Ayala is leagues better than Lenihan... he's just never fit.

Bad signing at the time, but you can understand the wage disparity if you're assuming he suddenly overcomes his injury history.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Out of interest would that be Broughton offering that contract? Or was his mind made up before our new team arrived?

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Out of interest would that be Broughton offering that contract? Or was his mind made up before our new team arrived?

Before that.He had agreed the Boro deal pre Broughton.

I can't say 100% he was offered £22k per week but I can 100% say that is what Lenihen said despite what JB says 

• Like 3