BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

On the Ash Phillips debate of do we pay him 3-4 times his current deal / the amount his peers are receiving due to his huge potential, isn't he effectively the modern day equivalent to Marlon Broomes? Wasn't he touted as future potential England captain material, when we were in the PL, for a long while? What happened to him?

Plenty of players early in their careers get touted as the next bobby Moore, the next Gascoigne (Makel), the next Shearer, yet go on & schieve nothing like that. I've never seen Phillips play so this us no sleight on him, but I can see why the club might not want to pay him as much as a top prem club can afford to piss down a drain.

Is it worth upsetting the other players so much, and is it best for Phillips' career? Too much money too soon? Surely it's better to try to persuade him for footballing reasons, pathway to the first team etc.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Giant said:

The govt; all foreign workers have to apply for a work permit/visa to ply their trade in the U.K. It’s based on a points make prizes system, unless you have a brown envelope for the relevant govt minister.

I don’t think that’s strictly true re the football industry

https://www.beswicks.com/fa-governing-body-endorsement-criteria-explained/

8 hours ago, callumrovers said:

The hysteria on here is mental. 

Im coming from the view point that we are actually after quality players, which takes time (unless you have buckets of money.) Players prices drop towards the end of the window, more players become available. I’d rather hang tight then be snapping up bang average players because we have lost a few 1st teamers. 

We have enough in the squad currently to get some good results before the transfer window closes. 

Yes I’d love us to sign players early, have a full pre season, integrate them into the squad but it’s not viable when every penny counts. 

Relax, enjoy the sunshine 😘

Where does the myth that prices drop towards the end of a window come from?

Mowbray used to trot this lame old excuse out every window to make the lack of activity seem normal. I'd have thought exactly the opposite was true, by the last minute selling Clubs know you're absolutely desperate and have you over a barrel.

I.e. like when we hadn't signed anyone of note in the first season back in the Championship then with 2 days to spare started throwing telephone numbers about at Forest for BBD and at QPR for Freeman.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Exactly. It's Mowbray's propaganda that is being repeated by some, whether it is realised or not.

A few years back I asked Mowbray a direct question about our transfer activity when he was in the town. He was startled by the question as he clearly wasn't expecting it. He gave me something about it "being difficult" even though we were close with a few.

How many times did we hear the "It's difficult" line from him to the press? Repeated by fans constantly since.

It's still "difficult" now, though other clubs seem to manage ok.

He was banging on about how "we can't compete" to the press, so that started being the go to response of some fans, and still is.

He also said you "need a miracle" to do what Barnsley and Luton did, so some of our fans think it's unrealistic to even mention those two clubs now.

Swag gives some claptrap over tea and it gets repeated as though all is well and grand plans are in place.

Only my opinion, but we need to quit doing the club's PR for them by actually saying it how it is. This forum is the only place, from what I can see, where that happens. I don't know why that would make some fans uncomfortable. It's coming from a damn good place. Desperately wanting the club to be restored to what it was and for standards to return.

However, to see low grade operators take us further in the opposition direction, but tell us "sustainable Premier League club", like we were born yesterday, makes me quite angry.

They will deservingly be called out for it until their actions show us they want to go up. Sadly, it looks like they have just bought themselves three more years to amble along by selling us this youth project. We'll be back in L1 again before we ever get back to the Premier League (if the latter happens at all under this lot).

Great post, couldn't agree more.

The supporters need to up the ante now and make it plain that muddling along on easy street is no longer acceptable and that the free ride aboard the Venky's gravy train without producing results has to stop.

In the immediate term Waggott and Pasha need to give the new manager a chance and Broughton needs to pull his finger out of his backside and do what he was brought in to do.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Great post, couldn't agree more.

The supporters need to up the ante now and make it plain that muddling along on easy street is no longer acceptable and that the free ride aboard the Venky's gravy train without producing results has to stop.

In the immediate term Waggott and Pasha need to give the new manager a chance and Broughton needs to pull his finger out of his backside and do what he was brought in to do.

What would upping the ante entail? Venky's have shown in the past that they don't listen when supporters air their feelings even during the weekly protests when Kean was here so they have no urgency to stop people from supposedly riding on their gravy train. Sadly that leopard will never change its spots.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

On the Ash Phillips debate of do we pay him 3-4 times his current deal / the amount his peers are receiving due to his huge potential, isn't he effectively the modern day equivalent to Marlon Broomes? Wasn't he touted as future potential England captain material, when we were in the PL, for a long while? What happened to him?

Plenty of players early in their careers get touted as the next bobby Moore, the next Gascoigne (Makel), the next Shearer, yet go on & schieve nothing like that. I've never seen Phillips play so this us no sleight on him, but I can see why the club might not want to pay him as much as a top prem club can afford to piss down a drain.

Is it worth upsetting the other players so much, and is it best for Phillips' career? Too much money too soon? Surely it's better to try to persuade him for footballing reasons, pathway to the first team etc.?

Possibly more Phil Jones than Marlon Broome's. Outstanding talent.

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

A good question for Waggott…

Did you offer Nyambe a higher wage than yours?

He said to him "This is X thousand per week. Decide today. If you need one or more days to think about it, the figure will be reduced by £1000". That's Waggott's way.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Rich Sharpe was told that he is unwilling to until the window closes.

That is totally ridiculous from Broughton....seems another chancer ( unless pulls his figer out PDQ ) on the gravy train who should be nowhere near Ewood Park..sick to death of these taking the P@@@

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Couldn’t disagree more.

Revisit this in May and see how daft it looked.

Quite a few thought anything other than relegation was the best we could get this time last season.  No signing until after season started.  Then in November we were dreaming of promotion. 

I know we have lost a lot of players ( like last season ) but who knows what may happen. 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Where does the myth that prices drop towards the end of a window come from?

Mowbray used to trot this lame old excuse out every window to make the lack of activity seem normal. I'd have thought exactly the opposite was true, by the last minute selling Clubs know you're absolutely desperate and have you over a barrel.

I.e. like when we hadn't signed anyone of note in the first season back in the Championship then with 2 days to spare started throwing telephone numbers about at Forest for BBD and at QPR for Freeman.

Clubs want to raise funds to sign other players towards the end of the window, easier for deals to be done compromises are made.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Athlete said:

That is totally ridiculous from Broughton....seems another chancer ( unless pulls his figer out PDQ ) on the gravy train who should be nowhere near Ewood Park..sick to death of these taking the P@@@

Why would he do an interview now? Judge him at the end of the transfer window. 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You’ve been supporting these owners for the past 12yrs Rev and it seems like you’re still struggling to see where the real problems lie……

Venkys out, or this club continues to decay and decline on your watch. 

• Like 4