BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

1 minute ago, 47er said:

And they have one thing in common----they play or played for us. Who else runs things this badly?

Has any other Championship club only made one signing at this stage---ie the day before the season opens?

Why are we so badly run?

The response is in the parts of the post you didn’t include to reply.

Everyone has their own circumstances, the competition for players with the necessary ability to challenge is fierce and we’re miles behind other clubs with wages.

Rather than simply grumble, what suggestions do you have to enable the club to work better? Sweeping “Get rid of wag/Venkys/Mowbray” not enough, how does a club of our current position maximise turnover, avoid ffp sanction and ensure success on the pitch and in recruitment?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

It's just depth, hopefully. Buckley and Travis being the two starters.

Takes pressure off Wharton / Garrett (and I guess Edun?) to hit the ground running.

I hope we are looking for another more experienced midfielder though.

Not enough experience in Travis, Buckley, Wharton, Garrett and Morton 

• Like 1

• J*B changed the title to Transfer Window - Stockport Got A Brand New Right Back
  • Moderation Lead
5 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Everyone has their own circumstances, the competition for players with the necessary ability to challenge is fierce and we’re miles behind other clubs with wages.

Rather than simply grumble, what suggestions do you have to enable the club to work better? Sweeping “Get rid of wag/Venkys/Mowbray” not enough, how does a club of our current position maximise turnover, avoid ffp sanction and ensure success on the pitch and in recruitment?

Cheaper tickets in the middle of a cost of living crisis and a poor area wouldn’t hurt, would it? Bigger picture is that means more bums on seats, more money spent on the concourse, therefore, more revenue. It’s a poor do when PNE and Bolton are selling far more season tickets than us in comparable areas. Made even worse by Bolton being in a division below!

• Like 8

Just now, JBiz said:

Exactly. The suggestions given are to cut ticket prices, scrap the wage cap, pay any player looking to leave what they want, criticise loan signings for limiting youth development, get angry when we don’t permanently sign the loans who do well, sack the board, sack Benson, paint Ewood, abuse Nicko and post VENKYS OUT in caps at the end of each message.

Problem solved.

• Like 3

• J*B changed the title to Transfer Window - the constent changing of the title has become a little tedious!
1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

Cheaper tickets in the middle of a cost of living crisis and a poor area wouldn’t hurt, would it? Bigger picture is that means more bums on seats, more money spent on the concourse, therefore, more revenue. It’s a poor do when PNE and Bolton are selling far more season tickets than us in comparable areas. Made even worse by Bolton being in a division below!

As discussed in the ST thread - the only bill in my household that hasn’t risen this season is my season ticket.

Im no accountant, I know both those clubs have nowhere near the infrastructure costs we do, and I (in terms of sales) know it would’ve been a different story had we finished the season better.

47ers point was “we’re badly run” and “Cheaper tickets” is something I bet most people at every club would agree on, but would it solve these transfer and contract woes? 

Someone suggested we get someone for 50k a year instead of Waggott (250k a year) and put it to the wage bill. I’m sure that 2k per week after tax would be the difference between 8th and 6th…!

5 minutes ago, JBiz said:

As discussed in the ST thread - the only bill in my household that hasn’t risen this season is my season ticket.

Im no accountant, I know both those clubs have nowhere near the infrastructure costs we do, and I (in terms of sales) know it would’ve been a different story had we finished the season better.

47ers point was “we’re badly run” and “Cheaper tickets” is something I bet most people at every club would agree on, but would it solve these transfer and contract woes? 

Someone suggested we get someone for 50k a year instead of Waggott (250k a year) and put it to the wage bill. I’m sure that 2k per week after tax would be the difference between 8th and 6th…!

But there was an increase for any potential new/returning fan, who obviously are the folk that need signing up if we are to add numbers over the 8k.

Odd business plan that charges more to new customers for the same product…

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JBiz said:

I'm the same but my gas, electricity and fuel are essential to live comfortably and for some it's a stark reality of justifying a season ticket in the current financial climate.  And therefore the huge increases we are seeing in them is likely to prevent some casual supporters from buying them. Of course reducing prices of season tickets would have been a gamble but a calculated one in my opinion. I know some posters don't like the Nobbers comparison but that really is the yardstick for me.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I'm the same but my gas, electricity and fuel are essential to live comfortably and for some it's a stark reality of justifying a season ticket in the current financial climate.  And therefore the huge increases we are seeing in them is likely to prevent some casual supporters from buying them. Of course reducing prices of season tickets would have been a gamble but a calculated one in my opinion. I know some posters don't like the Nobbers comparison but that really is the yardstick for me.

In danger of going off thread here but I believe it’s easier to sell season tickets to supporters when you’re in the second tier, if you haven’t been in the top one since 1961.

Our club is built for top tier income - the majority of the people we all know who’ve given up, went when the club played Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal at home every season.

Not looking up at the likes of Fulham and Bournemouth.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I thought once jdt came in we would be able to attract a higher calibre of players but so far it's been a little underwhelming.  These players linked and signed are barely above Mowbray grade

A higher calibre of player requires a higher calibre of budget, doesn't matter who the manager is.

JDT has his hands tied due to a limited budget, rising players wages and rising transfer costs, id expect to see any incoming players to be of a lesser calibre of player than we saw last season, hope I'm wrong, but its simple economics. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I thought once jdt came in we would be able to attract a higher calibre of players but so far it's been a little underwhelming.  These players linked and signed are barely above Mowbray grade

Yeah I’m fuming he’s not convinced fabinho to come instead of having to make do with Morton 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

A higher calibre of player requires a higher calibre of budget, doesn't matter who the manager is.

JDT has his hands tied due to a limited budget, rising players wages and rising transfer costs, id expect to see any incoming players to be of a lesser calibre of player than we saw last season, hope I'm wrong, but its simple economics. 

“Healthy” budget you mean Gav 😉 

32 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Exactly. The suggestions given are to cut ticket prices, scrap the wage cap, pay any player looking to leave what they want, criticise loan signings for limiting youth development, get angry when we don’t permanently sign the loans who do well, sack the board, sack Benson, paint Ewood, abuse Nicko and post VENKYS OUT in caps at the end of each message.

Problem solved.

This is absolutely bang on btw. Some of the messages on here are absolutely baffling 😆 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JBiz said:

In danger of going off thread here but I believe it’s easier to sell season tickets to supporters when you’re in the second tier, if you haven’t been in the top one since 1961.

PNE normally sell 8k. They've increased that by 4k after dropping prices by £120 ish for the early bird. All to do with price. Nowt to do with historical league positions or years in the Prem. Bolton have proved that by selling 13k @ £299.00 in League 1.

Meanwhile, we've just scraped in at 8.5k.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Our club is built for top tier income - the majority of the people we all know who’ve given up, went when the club played Man United, Liverpool and Arsenal at home every season.

Not looking up at the likes of Fulham and Bournemouth.

Wonder how Burnley managed to shift so many having just tumbled out of the Premier league then. The main driver to season ticket sales isn't when you were last in the top tier......its about getting the pricing right. Not difficult.......though it is to Waggott.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sweaty Gussets said:

PNE normally sell 8k. They've increased that by 4k after dropping prices by £120 ish for the early bird. All to do with price. Nowt to do with historical league positions or years in the Prem. Bolton have proved that by selling 13k @ £299.00 in League 1.

Meanwhile, we've just scraped in at 8.5k.

Don't spoil the narrative with any facts.

41 minutes ago, JBiz said:

how does a club of our current position maximise turnover, avoid ffp sanction and ensure success on the pitch and in recruitment?

Hard work, imaginative thinking, reduced ticket prices to increase attendances, engagement with the fan base to increase attendances, better coaching, better scouting, better use of club facilities on non-match days, more sponsorship revenue, improved match day experience. 

Essentially we need the owners to take an interest and do all the right things. It's not just about paying the bills and watching from afar. Surely we all know this already. The club is a shadow of it's former self. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, JBiz said:

When you get over your huff and log back in tomorrow, could you explain what infrastructure costs we have that PNE and Bolton don't?

• Like 3

Waggot has only worked at Coventry and Charlton and was awful at those clubs before coming here. How on earth he got this job and still kept it reeks of corruption. Surely if you head hunt one position it should be chief executive. Instead we have a complete moron

Edited by CambridgeRover
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Hard work, imaginative thinking, reduced ticket prices to increase attendances, engagement with the fan base to increase attendances, better coaching, better scouting, better use of club facilities on non-match days, more sponsorship revenue, improved match day experience. 

Essentially we need the owners to take an interest and do all the right things. It's not just about paying the bills and watching from afar. Surely we all know this already. The club is a shadow of it's former self. 

Almost entirely  agree with that, are the owners not entitled to expect those they pay handsomely to do their jobs to do them properly though?

Either way, if we get things right from top to bottom, we will do well regardless of whether we have less revenue than certain Clubs. I still maintain that our overall revenue stacks up well against all but a few Clubs after the owners contribution is taken into account.