BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Just because he is a good player doesnt mean that it is a fair assumption that he is a primary target of ours. He may well be but as I said, seemingly was never first choice if there was truth in the rumours of the 2 other defenders that we tried to sign.

Maybe he was first choice before the other 2 but Brighton said they won't sell him until a replacement comes in or not for sale yet. 

Why do you doubt that we want Ahmedhodzic and Davies? 

41 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

With a couple of shrewd additions there is absolutely no reason why we couldn’t go up this season Gav. This is a bang average league.

Money talks in this league OJF and we don’t have any. We have a worse squad than last season right now, a couple of shrewd signings will not be enough in my opinion. 

But I have everything crossed you’re right, I really do 👍

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If we held onto him until January and were 2nd in the table (again) though, surely it'd be worth keeping him and risk losing him for nothing in pursuit of the ultimate prize?

For me it's actually a no brainer we keep him until January and see where we are. If we're not likely to go up or down then sell. There'll be a lot of desperate Clubs by then and I can't see any situation in which we don't at least get money back.

yeah like we did with Rothwell

39 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

yeah like we did with Rothwell

Don't understand the point you're making? 

Seemingly we COULD have got several times the money we paid for Rothwell in January had we wanted it but (rightly imo) chose not to take it in the hope he could fire us to promotion.

Why would the situation be any different with BBD?

Edited by RevidgeBlue

9 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Just watching motd & seen JPvH reaction to brighton's goal - nowt like the passion he showed here!

Come home mate, u know it makes sense!

Just out of interest, what sort of figure would people pay to secure JPVH's signature on a permanent basis now?

If for example you offered £7m or £8m then I believe that's not as much as Brighton want but arguably more than he's worth given he has a year left on his contract.  On the other hand even at that price he's a sure fire investment isn't he? You're only going to make money on him in the long run.

Or do you risk leaving it to January in the hope of getting him substantially cheaper?

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

Transfers are crazy and you never know but I think £2-£3m is more likely that £7-£8m 

Wasn’t Tosin even less than that?

Lower fees with big sell on clauses likely 

I'd have thought £2m - £3m might be more feasible towards the end of the January window.

If he was available for that now he'd be here already imo.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd have thought £2m - £3m might be more feasible towards the end of the January window.

If he was available for that now he'd be here already imo.

No one's shown any interest in him apart from us.

I suspect the reason he's sticking around is from his perspective he may as well see if he he can force his way into the Brighton picture in August and if not sign for us towards the end of the month.

50 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't understand the point you're making? 

Seemingly we COULD have got several times the money we paid for Rothwell in January had we wanted it but (rightly imo) chose not to take it in the hope he could fire us to promotion.

Why would the situation be any different with BBD?

The owners should have zero involvement in transfers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not totally convinced by the notion that we are even seriously interested in Van Hecke.

We obviously have a new manager who will presumably have his own ideas and assuming that there was any truth in the Ahmedhodzic and Davies rumours, then Van Hecke clearly was at best not his first choice for that position.

Not saying we aren't interested either but it seems a case of adding 2 and 2 and I am unsure whether people have got 4 or 5.

He's said we need centre-backs though. (Surprising if he hadn't really!)

Who could we get as good as Van Hecke?

2 hours ago, Andy said:

Were Valencia not one of the clubs linked with BBD?

The money from this deal might bring them back to the table...

No, they haven’t ever been confirmed as properly interested in him outside of vague paper talk, and they certainly don’t have the money for him. They’re selling Maxi Gomez (central striker/no.9) too in order to balance the FFP books, but still have Hugo Duro and Carlos Andre as wide forwards, so don’t think they’d be looking at BBD even if they had some extra cash.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Just out of interest, what sort of figure would people pay to secure JPVH's signature on a permanent basis now?

If for example you offered £7m or £8m then I believe that's not as much as Brighton want but arguably more than he's worth given he has a year left on his contract.  On the other hand even at that price he's a sure fire investment isn't he? You're only going to make money on him in the long run.

Or do you risk leaving it to January in the hope of getting him substantially cheaper?

I'm with Tom on this with a realistic evaluation, however. Low fee, big sell on, or higher fee, lower sell on?

I'd happily us pay £6-7m provided it came with a lower sell on clause.

• Like 1

I don't think JPvH will be going anywhere until Brighton sign at least one more centre back, they have been linked with some even after signing Colwill from Chelsea.  JPvH was on the (9 man!) sub bench yesterday which would indicate any club wanting him will have to wait.

If Nixon is right that we wanted Van Den Berg we may not be willing to wait.

It would be great to get Van Hecke but hard to see who sits on the bench if we play four at the back and Ayala and Wharton are fit, nice problem to have though.

The money side of football has always been a bit bonkers, compared to the experience of money of your average joe punter, ever since the days of Georgie Best and the filthy lucre he was reputed to roll around in.

Speculation about possible fees for players, in or out, seems pointless to me - we have no influence over the actual arrangements reached in any case, from the junior ranks upwards, so why bother wasting breath on what may or may not happen for any player coming in or leaving Rovers? Piss and Hot Air!

It would be much more relevant to speculate about the potential impact of players coming or going. So, for me, the loss of BBD would be significant as he does some things that no other current player at the club does. Keep him if we can!

Likewise, the impact of a player like JPVH would be immediate, long term and significant too, as he has demonstrated clear potential, passion and pride in playing for the Blue & White pride of East Lancs. Get him in!

Other recruits? Meh..Let's see how far we can wee with the willie we've got..

COYB!

I'm feel confident that calls will have already been made to Brighton about JPVH - but decisions need to be made on that end first and foremost. A bit of patience will be required, as I doubt Brighton are in a rush. Regarding the fee I imagine 3-4m should be enough, with a reasonable sell-on clause.

In the meantime, we need some cover pronto - our defenders are in for a tough shift against WBA. Would be delighted if we could snip one of the experienced Free Agents (Barbet, Mawson, Hector etc.) by Wednesday.

Edited by TheRevAshton

Lower fee higher sell on percentage surely for a potential dutch international. They've already brought in so much money this summer through player sales. Similar to the Armstrong deal I'd suggest. That's if they do actually want to sell. Yeah it means we lose a chunk of any potential profit we could make. But let's be realistic it's the only chance we'd have to sign him. If he gets us promotion along the way then that far outweighs the money Brighton would make.

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Transfer rumours have gone  very quiet again.

Doesn't look like anything is close at the moment.

What would people be happy with? One permanent CB and another on loan?

Personally, I would like to see Callum Styles (there's an excellent all action CM there and as some say he can cover LWB), two quality CBs (Goode and Helik) and the icing on the cake would be an extra attacker (Delap on loan) or possibly a cut price deal for Birmancivic.

One can but dream I know 

• Like 1