BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

You have to hope the Van Hecke rumours are not true. It would be deeply disappointing if he picked the likes of Sunderland over us. The lad made a huge impression at Ewood last season and seemed open to a return. I wonder if he was at Reading on Wednesday night? That performance would have put off any prospective signing

Do we actually KNOW that Van Hecke has a choice. Do our management team even have any interest.  Has anyone heard that we are cos I have not just what the fans want.  Is it not entirely possible Sunderland are the only ones interested.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mike E said:

With Forest buying basically anyone, surely there's scope for one of McKenna or Worrall to move on, possibly to us?

Another former Forest player getting no time at Newcastle (might be due to injuries), but impressed me in this league is Lascelles.

Isn't Lascelles their captain? He's also injured.

Absolutely no chance.

• Like 2

Just seen an article on SSN regarding Fulham vs Brentford and it showed their left back Joe Bryan scoring in playoff game couple seasons ago ,he seems to have disappeared hasn’t .. he would be a good loan signing at left back 

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Any club expecting to build a team from mainly their own academy to get out of the Championship into the PL is, imo, in for a long long wait.

Any owners who think that it is feasible need a mental health check.

Has it ever happened? Ever?

Pie in the sky dreamers.

Chelsea 60 years ago. Other than that I can’t think of one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Upside Down said:

CB, LB and a forward that can hold up the ball and take a few half chance are essential. 

Also be good to have a midfielder that can smash people around when other teams try to bully us.

Exactly where and how I'd like to see us strengthen. 

Add a pacy winger in there as well and we should have a decent squad.  That's 5 signings.  Personally think that Szmodic wasn't really needed.  Especially at the quoted fee.  Jury out on Morton.  

3 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Any club expecting to build a team from mainly their own academy to get out of the Championship into the PL is, imo, in for a long long wait.

Pie in the sky dreamers.

It COULD work. 

But for it to do so you have to retain those players who go on to develop. You have to be very, very good at what you do and be willing to pay the going rate once those players make the grade. And even then you have to top the squad up with external quality, not just a couple of youngsters on loan every year.

Instead, as we've seen this summer, what actually happens is we put the time and effort into developing them and then they head off to places like Middlesbrough instead. We seem to expect academy developed players to stay here forever out of blind loyalty and get away with paying them bottom end wages.

So it is a never ending saga. This summer for example we look likely to replace Darragh Lenihan, club captain and proven Championship quality, either with a loan from Liverpool, nobody, or Ash Phillips who is 17 and has never played 1st team football before.

In no universe is that progress, development, a plan or sensible. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, USABlue said:

How so when the cream of the crop is pilfered by the big clubs.

Exactly. That argument is significantly flawed. You never get the chance to bring on a group of young players good enough to challenge for promotion together because bigger clubs take them off you as soon as they show any signs of promise. One by one they’re lured away.

Phillips is the classic example. Mike England was the best centre half I ever saw. We managed to hold on to him for several seasons in spite of him being the best in his position in the country. He eventually went to Spurs for a British record transfer fee for a defender.  If he was playing today he would be at City or Liverpool etc before he’d have played a full season out for a mediocre fee. That is if he wasn’t taken away as a youth player.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Fuck me, if we lose out on Van Hecke due to Phillips being guaranteed game time I will be shocked.

Phillips isn't the answer, certainly not ready for the championship.

The Rovers are not bothered about Phillips being ready for the championship. They are just trying to get him to sign a contract, with us.

2 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

In a truely exciting end to the transfer window, we can expect....

Nothing will happen.

You need to read back a few pages, some posters seem to think we'll be spending £10m in this transfer window! Yes £10m!

Where the feck was £10m in January when we sat 2nd in the division? 

• Like 2

I wonder if JDT is starting to realise our transfer recruitment policy isn't up to scratch.  

Taken from today's LET

"In that way, let’s hope that the doors are opening and a couple of players are coming in quickly. I am not dreaming every morning but I am hoping players will come in quick like every Rovers fan.

“I can’t imagine that it wouldn’t happen. There are a couple of weeks still but quicker is better.”

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gav said:

You need to read back a few pages, some posters seem to think we'll be spending £10m in this transfer window! Yes £10m!

Where the feck was £10m in January when we sat 2nd in the division? 

In the bank, well out of Mowbray’s clutches. He’d wasted enough as it was.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

The clock is really ticking now after three seems of transfer inactivity. We have a 17 year old centre half who is playing his fourth game in ten days today which underlines our predicament. There was an expectation that last week would have seen some incoming activity but nothing.

It's becoming a real worry and by the end of August could overshadow our great start.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I wonder if JDT is starting to realise our transfer recruitment policy isn't up to scratch.  

Taken from today's LET

"In that way, let’s hope that the doors are opening and a couple of players are coming in quickly. I am not dreaming every morning but I am hoping players will come in quick like every Rovers fan.

“I can’t imagine that it wouldn’t happen. There are a couple of weeks still but quicker is better.”

The use of the words "quickly", "quick" and "quicker", say a lot for me. I think JDT is starting to get pissed off like the rest of us are. It was weeks ago when he said something along the lines of the club knowing what he wants and needing to deliver, when asked about players coming in.

Since then he's had more questions put to him with the answer always being "ask Gregg". I feel for the guy, he's no mug and will know a number of our squad aren't up to it. He is being let down by those above him.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The clock is really ticking now after three seems of transfer inactivity. We have a 17 year old centre half who is playing his fourth game in ten days today which underlines our predicament. There was an expectation that last week would have seen some incoming activity but nothing.

It's becoming a real worry and by the end of August could overshadow our great start.

I think JDT was naive when picking his side vs Reading, thinking we could dance around their physicality. JDT proved how weak the squad was with that performance, I’m sure our first eleven would have fared better - even with young Ash at CB. 

7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Talking youth Rovers have lost a real star in the making to Man City ! Zimbabwe youngster David Chigwada Has gone and has a lot of rave reviews as the real next big deal

I know that potentially young stars have always been pinched by the bigger clubs.  I'm sure we have done our fair share over the premier years. 

That said,  surely it can't be hard (or unfair) for the relevant authority to insert a 20- 30 percent future sell on clause - on any player taken from a football League club?

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

I think JDT was naive when picking his side vs Reading, thinking we could dance around their physicality. JDT proved how weak the squad was with that performance, I’m sure our first eleven would have fared better - even with young Ash at CB. 

This is what i worried about when he first came and as we know from Mowbrays time even with deeper more experienced squads you can't just throw a load in and out randomly.  Let alone when you already have glaring weak spots in the team that need protecting.

He has to take some responsibility for it although the application across the park was generally piss poor as well.

The championship finds you out very quickly so hopefully he has learned, that goes for Greg Broughton as well looking on from the stands.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I know that potentially young stars have always been pinched by the bigger clubs.  I'm sure we have done our fair share over the premier years. 

That said,  surely it can't be hard (or unfair) for the relevant authority to insert a 20- 30 percent future sell on clause - on any player taken from a football League club?

The big clubs are the 'relevant authorities'. They make the rules. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Pie in the sky dreamers.

Knowing how these owners work we are probably going to spend the next decade and another 150 million trying to find out.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

Quite but the underlying problem is that we don't really have the depth of quality in the squad. Vale and Dolan aren't really the answer in an unforgiving league like the Championship although Dolan has a value as an impact substitute for me. 

• Like 5