BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

Just now, Andy said:

Somebody within the club (can’t remember who) has advised that we have a contingency in place to replace BBD.

Plenty of time left in the window, let’s see if they’re as good as their word…

I dont believe them unless the contingency plan is to pay off some debts

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, callumrovers said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-everton-closing-in-on-big-money-transfer-swoop-for-blackburn-rovers-man/

Good money if true.

needs replacing though. I have my doubts after the Armstrong money disappeared.

if we are following the Brentford model, we best have a player(s) lined up.

excellent deal for us,i think venkys gave up on mowbray and turned the money tap off after initially backing him very well,if they had any idea of the game they would have offloaded him two seasons ago

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Apart from leaving us absolutely goosed, that scenario also depends on him being happy to leave now.

I'm not saying this is actually the scenario with BBD but hypothetically - if you could sign for team X now on £30k p.w.or wait until summer and get a £2m signing on fee and £50k p.w. -  what would you do?

Personally I'd never sign for Everton because they're a crap club and their bitter fans have delusions of grandeur. 

That said I'd take the bird in the hand, please. Just ask Dack what can happen. 

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Apart from leaving us absolutely goosed, that scenario also depends on him being happy to leave now.

I'm not saying this is actually the scenario with BBD but hypothetically - if you could sign for team X now on £30k p.w.or wait until summer and get a £2m signing on fee and £50k p.w. -  what would you do?

I'd say to Ben, " You must go to the club who wants you and will pay us money in this window or sign a new contract with us. If you choose neither you will be on the bench of the under 21 team for the whole season."

Some will say cut off nose to spite face but someone has to make a start to try to stop this gigantic tail wagging the fucking dog.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Swanson said:
7 minutes ago, callumrovers said:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/exclusive-everton-closing-in-on-big-money-transfer-swoop-for-blackburn-rovers-man/

Good money if true.

needs replacing though. I have my doubts after the Armstrong money disappeared.

if we are following the Brentford model, we best have a player(s) lined up.

Don’t think Football League World have ever been right about anything so I’m guessing that article is horse shit. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, simongarnerisgod said:

excellent deal for us,i think venkys gave up on mowbray and turned the money tap off after initially backing him very well,if they had any idea of the game they would have offloaded him two seasons ago

My worry is if we sell Diaz we have no one who is capable of 15-20 goals per season. Gallagher may get there is played as a centre forward but from seeing JDT’s team it’s more fluid so he won’t play predominantly as a CF. 

If he goes we need a replacement otherwise we are up shit creek without a paddle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Sounds like Hyam has been on the backburner for a while but has come to the surface because all our other better options - the Vans etc - have closed.

Someone explain why we're forking out £2.5m for a like for like replacement for Lenihan (who is possibly not as good) when we could have kept Lenihan if we'd paid him a bit more and would have cost us over the course of his new lengthy contract something like £2.5m?

The figures are from an expert quoting Waggott - so they need to be treated with caution

Broad brush stuff and assuming quoted numbers are correct:

Lenihan cost over 4 years: 4*52*(24k*1.14<NI>) = £5.7m

Hyam cost over 4 years: transfer fee £2.5m, wages 4*52*(15k*1.14<NI>) = £6.0m in total

Nowt in it and Hyam likely to have higher sale value v Lenihan in 4 years time given age differential.

1 minute ago, Butty said:

Don’t think Football League World have ever been right about anything so I’m guessing that article is horse shit. 

Could be horse shit, I know they have different journos working for them. Im sure they were the first to break the Hyam story from Coventry?

2 minutes ago, bazza said:

I'd say to Ben, " You must go to the club who wants you and will pay us money in this window or sign a new contract with us. If you choose neither you will be on the bench of the under 21 team for the whole season."

Some will say cut off nose to spite face but someone has to make a start to try to stop this gigantic tail wagging the fucking dog.

As you say, the club would be cutting off their nose to spite their face, which is madness especially if we end up being relegated as a result.

In addition, you would alienate the manager, who I suspect would strongly oppose what you are suggesting, and all our other players who would sympathise with Brereton.

• Like 1

Time and time again people think the money will be reinvested and that we will come out of this better off than before. 

It just doesn't happen here - another reason we will never 'do a Brentford'.

When Brentford were forced to sell Ollie Watkins to Villa they landed £30 million for him, because he was under long term contract, and immediately reinvested a large portion of that on Ivan Toney, along with a few others.

We know from experience that won't happen here. Even if by some miracle the owners allow some of the money back into the pot, it will be limited to a couple of million and our wage structure will prevent that being put to much use. Meanwhile the vast majority of the cash does nothing to benefit the team or club. Just like the Armstrong, Rhodes and Gestede money didn't.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes. he played against us and seen him a number of games on TV. He has played 88 championship games in a couple of season and 2 games this season

Given your seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of football, surprised you hadn't suggested him @chaddyrovers

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Swanson said:

That's a good deal for us. I'd love him to sign a new contract and stay but that's not going to happen, so it's a good deal and a lot of money. If anyone had said a year ago that a club would pay nearly 20m for Breo then I think we would have checked their sanity. 

Ultimately he's had one good season and the Premier league is a huge step up. Sadly I think he will be a big flop in the Premier League and I fear for Everton. 

Edited by rovers11
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, rovers11 said:

Sadly I think he will be a big flop in the Premier League and I fear for Everton. 

I don't fear for Everton who, over many decades, have stolen our best players. But this time I hope they get their man.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Is that a reputable source, or is it another spotty youth operating from a laptop in his bedroom pretending to be itk?

If there's any truth in it it's getting close to the £20m the V's supposedly wanted. Last week they were only offering £12.5m apparently. Sounds like they're getting desperate so we should be able to get a few more million out of them if BBD is willing to go.

Or want to get it over the line before Leeds and others push the price higher 

1 hour ago, Iceman said:

Whoa calm down. 

Anel didn't want us 

Ben Davies didn't want us

Van Hecke was by us, and we don't know what Brighton wants to do with him. 

SVDB would probably have been here, but for Liverpool's defensive issues 

Right now the club can't wait on Brighton or Liverpool, because time is running out here. We need to bring in players, and the longer we wait, the worse it becomes for us..

Its not a put down on Hyam but clearly he wasnt our first choice but we couldnt get primary targets over the line.

33 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Would your view on Venkys worsen if our net spend this window is a negative?

34 minutes ago, Butty said:

We have no choice but to sell him though as there’s no chance he signs a new deal. 

29 minutes ago, bazza said:

Good! Let's hope the deal gets done quickly. Sounds a reasonable price to me.

Ben needs to be sold now or sign a new deal with us; nothing else.

How much will relegation cost us? 

We aren’t going to replace him and without his goals we will be in a relegation battle. We got lucky after selling Armstrong that Ben started scoring lots of goals, the same thing won’t happen with Gallagher and co.  

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

ask Coventry and Mark Robins. 

Maybe the fee could help them make their pitch payable so they could play games at home. 

Also maybe they could use that money for a couple of cheap signings

Then we could sign Viktor Gyokeres instead...