Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Travis signed a new contract

• chaddyrovers changed the title to Travis signed a new contract
8 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Great news to keep hold of Trav - surprised we’ve got that one over the line.*

*Who is his agent? 😬

Same as Rothwell I believe!

Shocked, and very pleased. 🙌

Good to have next year's likely captain signed up till 2026.

Doesn't excuse what's happening with Brereton, Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell, but credit for signing Kaminski and Travis up.

Kaminski, Wharton, Pickering, Rankin-Costello, Edun, Travis, Buckley, Dolan, Hedges, Markanday, Gallagher and Dack (option) all signed up to at least 2024. 12 useful Championship players.

Maybe we won't get relegated next season afterall.

• Like 5

Shocked - but delighted - to hear Travis has renewed, it doesn’t really add up to me that players would sign long term deals with alleged uncertainty around the managers future. 

• Like 2

Why? You see it across football, at plenty of clubs the manager is never more than a few defeats away from the sack, players still sign contracts.

It’s an unstable industry, so footballers are looking after themselves, if it’s a good offer, they’ll sign.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

It's good news but I must question whether Travis is improving as a player. Injuries have been a hinderance and, arguably, he's been overplayed by Mowbray. He could do with someone to compete with, take the physical load of and challenge him to get better. He was once looking like a potential Premiership midfielder but hasn't developed.

I put some of this down to the club's failure to bring in or bring through a CM to challenge and support him. Playing in poorly set-up sides hasn't helped either.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, J*B said:

Shocked - but delighted - to hear Travis has renewed, it doesn’t really add up to me that players would sign long term deals with alleged uncertainty around the managers future. 

Also doesn't make sense to me as a lot of noise I've heard is that Travis is one of the ones who's fallen out with TM on multiple occasions over tactics/team selection.

45 minutes ago, Giant said:

If Lenihan doesn’t sign, Travis will be captain next season, or perhaps he’s already been told this because the current arm band holder is leaving?

I think Lenihan stays.

43 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Shocked, and very pleased. 🙌

Good to have next year's likely captain signed up till 2026.

Doesn't excuse what's happening with Brereton, Lenihan, Nyambe and Rothwell, but credit for signing Kaminski and Travis up.

Kaminski, Wharton, Pickering, Rankin-Costello, Edun, Travis, Buckley, Dolan, Hedges, Markanday, Gallagher and Dack (option) all signed up to at least 2024. 12 useful Championship players.

Maybe we won't get relegated next season afterall.

What from the premiership.

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Brilliant news, well done all for getting this sorted

2 key players have now signed new contract within the last 5 weeks. Its shows our key players want to same and see a future at Rovers. As @J*Bhas said wuld they signed them if Mowbray's future isn't staying here. 

3 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Great news to keep hold of Trav - surprised we’ve got that one over the line.*

*Who is his agent? 😬

His agent is Unique Sports Group. Giles and Edun are with the same agent. 

2 hours ago, rigger said:

Lenihan next ?

I do think Lenihan will stay at Rovers but won't commit until the end of the season IMO

Edited by chaddyrovers

At least we're seeing some lessons learnt. Kaminski, Trav and Gallagher all being signed up shows much better future planning to avoid a repeat of this seasons situation. 

I think the situation with the current lot was a result of us not being able offer enough money until it was too late. Through both covid and financial mismanagement of fat contracts for other, 'over the hill' players. By the time we'd sold the training ground and Arma we were in a situation where those players were happy to wait and see. Our form sky rocketed, their stock and thus demands rose. We were priced out. I'm very pleased to see better future planning. The excellent youth system is the life blood of the club, but also shouldn't be taken for granted that we'll continuously see it produce first team players season in, season out. We need to keep our assets tied down.

Love Trav but can’t help but feel disappointed with his progression as a footballer over the last couple of years. When he first broke onto the scene I thought we had a future premier league player but it’s looking more like the championship will be his level. Not sure if that’s because of Mowbray’s mismanagement or if that was always his ceiling.

It’s a great signing.

For me, it puts to bed the rank bad views that all is not well behind the scenes because 3 players haven’t signed the contracts offered to them . It emphasises it is the player and not the club at fault.

By comparison Travis is a solid midfielder and for me is more important a signing than either Rothwell or Nyambe and if he continues to improve then he could be a very valuable asset in the future. It would not surprise me at all to see one of the 3 players follow suit and sign the contract on offer.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

It’s a great signing.

For me, it puts to bed the rank bad views that all is not well behind the scenes because 3 players haven’t signed the contracts offered to them . It emphasises it is the player and not the club at fault.

By comparison Travis is a solid midfielder and for me is more important a signing than either Rothwell or Nyambe and if he continues to improve then he could be a very valuable asset in the future. It would not surprise me at all to see one of the 3 players follow suit and sign the contract on offer.

No it doesn't, one contract doesn't prove something against 3 others. We seemingly have a strict wage ceiling, and Travis already was essentially contracted here until 2024, he is only 24 years old, he isn't at the point of having one more big move in him, his demands may be lower, he isn't the current captain or as far as we know courting interest elsewhere, its a totally different situation.

One of the 3 players wanting to leave, we could have had a fee and 2 players on long term deals had all been logical behind the scenes and the manager was allowed to work without interference from stubborn owners who dont have the foggiest about the club. (By the way, I wonder if they are still attending this season)

Great news all the same, Travis is an important player and I suspect the likely captain next season.

• Like 2