BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray's Reign...& is he off to Sunderland ?

On 19/04/2022 at 07:41, Mattyblue said:

Owners don’t let managers off the hook, they sack them… unless it’s BRFC. So yes, all roads lead back to Pune.

They certainly shouldn't, but let's not paint a picture that TM is an angel in the middle of all of this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, funny-old-game said:

On this basis the Venkys must have full knowledge and approve this, so the question is why?

Its the million dollar question which i dont think we will ever know?

Realistically who in the right mind would lose millions upon millions, yet appoint the wrong people to oversee the operational management of any business?

After 12 years, and circa £200 million, you would think as successful business people they would of grasped this?

I'm sure there are many on here who run their own business or are responsible senior management in other businesses, who on basic business principles alone cannot compute how this ship is run.

Suhail is a typical example of whats all wrong about this ownership, you wouldnt employ a gardener to look after your electrics or boiler, but they obviously do

• Like 7

What baffles me is that analysis in football is now well and truly the bedrock of much of the game, and even rough scrutiny of the data relating to tinpot Tony shows quite clearly that there is a big problem in his approach (e.g. the dramatic collapse pattern that is nailed onto his profile at Boro, WBA and Rovers) - and yet he is somehow supposed to be 'highly regarded' in the game...????

I suppose we could consider a wart on the end of someone's nose as being 'highly regarded' though

We should  put some brass down with Bet365 (other bookies are available ;)) as to who will go first, Barnacle BoJo or the incredible Whelk Mowbray. Both are waaaaaay past their smell by and starting to cause offence every time they open their stupid gobs.

5 minutes ago, Shirley Crabtree Wrestler said:

What baffles me is that analysis in football is now well and truly the bedrock of much of the game, and even rough scrutiny of the data relating to tinpot Tony shows quite clearly that there is a big problem in his approach (e.g. the dramatic collapse pattern that is nailed onto his profile at Boro, WBA and Rovers) - and yet he is somehow supposed to be 'highly regarded' in the game...????

I suppose we could consider a wart on the end of someone's nose as being 'highly regarded' though

We should  put some brass down with Bet365 (other bookies are available ;)) as to who will go first, Barnacle BoJo or the incredible Whelk Mowbray. Both are waaaaaay past their smell by and starting to cause offence every time they open their stupid gobs.

It called jobs for the boys and has been a feature at Ewood, for around 11 years.

• Like 4

I simply can't believe this Mowbray to WBA rumour at all.

Isn't it more likely that he was considered by them a few months ago when we were riding high but that they opted for Steve Bruce instead? Bruce was appointed in February when we were at our peak. That seems the more likely source of these rumours to me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Wonderful analysis from Linz Lewis (she's a member on here I think? Been on the BRFCS podcast before) on BBC Radio Lancashire Sport last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0byc3hq

Starts at the 18m:38s mark.

Summed up succinctly and eloquently. 

Excellent from Linz that. As you say, summed up so succinctly. I hope the social media sheep listen to it.

• Like 2

The Mowbray to WBA 'rumour' is simply lazy linking of a manager out of contract soon with a different job and WBA ticks the boxes - question marks about Bruce's future and Mowbray's past links with them.

Nothing more, nothing less.

I've seen some daft decisions over the years but sacking off Steve Bruce, a proven promotion winner, to bring Mowbray back, especially after what he's served up here since January, would top the lot.

West Brom need promotion. You don't appoint muddled Tony and his second half collapses if you need it. 

No doubt at all that Mowbray and his backers want people to believe WBA or others are interested in his services. Name of the game is getting a new contract and one of the best ways to do that is make people believe you are in demand elsewhere.

• Like 4

The WBA stuff started probably when we were on that great run and the wheels began churning to get him a new contract here.

The demeanor of him since then screams to me he was pissed at them not slapping a bumper deal in front of him there and then. It also suggests he doesn't have the security of walking straight into one at West Brom either.

We know how fragile an ego this guy has so imo looking at it now he's more or less thought f##k it if they aren't showing their hand now.  Hes been pampered here in the past by basically doing what he wants with their blessing so the first sign of a snub has him sulking i suppose.

In a way i can understand it he should know where he stands.  If he'd shaped himself though and done some business we needed in Jan, then kept up a bit better form he'd probably have a deal on the table now.  There's also the Ayala issue and the rumours around that signing and them not being happy.  Possibly lead to the recruitment guy spitting his dummy and leaving, again just rumours.

However Ayala has indeed turned into another wage drain nobody needed, him and Poveda must be costing the club 30k a week for nothing.  That is bad business and something to consider when sticking the boot into the lack of backing, that money should have been used a whole lot better i'm afraid.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 7

At a normal club the managers contract would have been renewed already if that was to be the case. Getting to this situation with 3 games left would mean for sure that he was 'stepping down' at the end of the season. Once we lose next Monday and it is practically impossible for 6th, you'd expect an announcement so Bournemouth was a 'say goodbye to Tony' day.

That would be a 'normal' club, but as we're a batshit crazy club I suspect no-one at Ewood is actually sure what the situation is.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

I simply can't believe this Mowbray to WBA rumour at all.

Isn't it more likely that he was considered by them a few months ago when we were riding high but that they opted for Steve Bruce instead? Bruce was appointed in February when we were at our peak. That seems the more likely source of these rumours to me.

This is exactly what my Baggie mate told me. There was possibly a very small chance that they would approach Mowbray as a stop gap but no way he is the type of manager WBA are looking for next.

Mowbray was on the scrap heap when we appointed him. It was a lazy, cheap option at the time and WBA won't make the same mistake.

What worries me is that the summer may see Suhail and Cheston in charge of appointing a new manager ( assuming Waggott follows Mowbray out of the door ).

We all know what happened last time! I wonder if Cheston has his holidays booked?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

The grass isnt always greener as history with Rovers players who leave has shown. 

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree on the individual players. It’s all about opinions.

You have seemed to put a lot of faith in what you’ve heard coming out of the club, I really hope you are right and I am wrong, but I can’t share your enthusiasm for the near future. I know I’m cynical, but I’m absolutely dreading the prospect of this summers rebuild. I’d be dreading it even more under MowbrayX

The point above which I’ve quoted used to be true, under Venky’s it’s a different matter and we can’t make that claim any more. Nowadays players who leave at or around their peak tend to go on to better things. I don’t think Nyambe, Lenihan or Rothwell will be any different.

4 hours ago, rog of the rovers said:

Wonderful analysis from Linz Lewis (she's a member on here I think? Been on the BRFCS podcast before) on BBC Radio Lancashire Sport last night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0byc3hq

Starts at the 18m:38s mark.

Summed up succinctly and eloquently. 

This was excellent. Linz hit so many nails on heads and really summed up a lot of feelings around how we have performed and how the season has somewhat disgracefully petered out.

I am not convinced that any of the 3 out of contract players are on a regular level whereby they will be playing week in week out above the level of top half Championship. Lenihan is a decent Championship centre back but is clumsy and dreadful on the ball, Nyambe is solid without being a stand out Championship right back and often slows things down, and Rothwell is a case of occasional brilliance amidst general anonymity and to be honest isn't a player you'd want to be next to in the trenches.

Obviously I totally get the potential financial aspect of joining a bigger club regardless of playing time so I certainly wouldn't advise against moving if I was a neutral party.

I also know that all 3 will be replaced by inferior replacements.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, arbitro said:

And maybe I'm reading too much into it John but aren't Warburton and Bruce out of contract at the end of the season too.

Interesting thought, Tony. Given how thin-skinned he is, and how hard he thinks he works, not being offered another contract could easily have eaten away at him. Add in being overruled by the self-same owners on selling Rothwell to bring in a couple of players to further add his stamp to the promotion push (in his mind), and I could well believe he himself has downed tools. Would tie in with your comment about training being perfunctory and dull these days.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hasta said:

At a normal club the managers contract would have been renewed already if that was to be the case. Getting to this situation with 3 games left would mean for sure that he was 'stepping down' at the end of the season. Once we lose next Monday and it is practically impossible for 6th, you'd expect an announcement so Bournemouth was a 'say good riddance to Tony' day.

That would be a 'normal' club, but as we're a batshit crazy club I suspect no-one at Ewood is actually sure what the situation is.

Changed it

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Almost equally as shocking is QPR and west Brom both only got 4 more points than us over the same period. Don’t often see three contenders all implode.

As poor as their form has been, 4 points is 4 points and an additional 4 points would still have had us in with a realistic chance of 6th.

The tinkerman has really had to go some in the second half of the season to put us out of realistic  contention altogether.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I know many will agree with you, so I'm not saying you're wrong to bring it up, but personally I don't get why his body language/interviews etc. riles people so much. He's had a pretty miserable demeanour since day one here as far as I see it, and plenty of that coincided with the team doing well. I don't agree that his signings were mostly bad either. I think there are enough success stories to say that he can spot a player.

I agree though that it's hard to concisely summarise all the different aspects of his time in charge. If I was to try, the thing that it really boils down to is your point about the major drops in form. I think if these were just a little less predictable/less severe, you could even now make a perfectly good case for him being worth a new contract (not least because we'd still be in the play off mix). But sadly they're not, and it almost makes all other aspects of his performance irrelevant because it means that we'll always have that ceiling of what we can achieve under him. 

I'm actually less concerned about his body language and demeanour in interviews and more concerned by how he presents himself on the touchline.

He is often just lifeless, head in hands, sitting with a thousand yard stare. He's supposed to a be a motivator and it's impossible to think that (at least some) players will see that and think it is an assessment of their chances or, possibly even more damagingly, the capabilities of their manager. 

I also think that his overall demeanour contributes to a lack of accountability and that probably permeates every area of the club. I can think to my own work and know how much it means when a senior person takes the lead, takes accountability, and sets a real example.

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Fair enough, we can agree to disagree on the individual players. It’s all about opinions.

You have seemed to put a lot of faith in what you’ve heard coming out of the club, I really hope you are right and I am wrong, but I can’t share your enthusiasm for the near future. I know I’m cynical, but I’m absolutely dreading the prospect of this summers rebuild. I’d be dreading it even more under MowbrayX

The point above which I’ve quoted used to be true, under Venky’s it’s a different matter and we can’t make that claim any more. Nowadays players who leave at or around their peak tend to go on to better things. I don’t think Nyambe, Lenihan or Rothwell will be any different.

You are right, its about opinions.

I just want to make this bit clear, I have not put all my faith into Steve Waggot or anyone else that I have spoken to at the club. Yes, I listened to them but before I did I was armed with all sorts of research, evidence and so many different versions of what or what hasnt happened since day dot. What I have been able to ascertain from the club leads me to believe that there is a bright future, or indeed better future ahead for the club over many aspects of football operations not just the playing side but ALL aspects including as a priority the FANS, commercial, the ticket fiascos, the academy, the pitches, the rumour and speculation, the finances et al.

Because of what I had already learned prior to visiting the club it was pretty simple to dispel the rumours and utter crap, it was relatively easy to look ahead and see how the supposed plans impact on the club. If it doesnt come off then it will be very simple to take the club to task be it personally or through alternative means, if changes occur for the good and better then I will be content to some extent about what I was told. 

It is not just me who is aware of potential goings on at the club, there are many others who choose not to say what they know and for clear reasons. If there is a time when I need to fully explain things then you can bet your last penny, it will be out there.

Finally, the grass being greener issue never works in a players favour especially when it is Rovers. History shows the likes of Hendry, Sutton, Bentley, Gestede, Rhodes, Marshall, Gallacher and many others who left for various reasons and it didnt really work out for the better, maybe financially but not professionally.

13 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

As poor as their form has been, 4 points is 4 points and an additional 4 points would still have had us in with a realistic chance of 6th.

The tonkerman has really had to go some in the second half of the season to put us out of realistic  contention altogether.

I’m sure they are consoling themselves at Loftus Rd and The Hawthorns that they haven’t been quite as bad as Mowbray as they look at their lost playoff places.

5 minutes ago, martonrover said:

So if people at the club are happy to freely give information to outsiders about these plans, and “many others” have this information, why the secrecy?

As of yet, we have seen no tangible evidence that anything is changing for the better at the club in any meaningful way.

I agree. It wouldn't be difficult to say several people have been told that the manger will be replaced with a big name in 2022. The training ground will be upgraded and we will lay a new pitch at Ewood. A new CEO who will communicate with the fans, will be appointed and the owners will attend 5 games next season.

Without any specifics and with no sign whatsoever of anything improving, it is very hard to accept that anyone has been tod the real intentions and the usual lip service and dance up the garden path are being trotted out.

• Like 9

I read an article in last week's paper about Neil Warnock. Whilst he claims to have retired, it's clear that he really wants back in. 

If it was up to me, I would pot Mowbray today and appoint Warnock tonight for the last few games, with a view towards next season.

• Like 5