BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

1 hour ago, riverholmes said:

Farke won two promotions, I believe, at Norwich. Just scanning his signings, it looks like he had a few big successes in Pukki, Buendia and maybe, Rupp. However, the majority, including, his German recruits seem to have fallen by the wayside. That said, I really don't know enough about the players and the context.

Edit: Looking a bit more closely, it looks like several of the signings like Tom Trybull, Stieperman, Hernandez and Vrancic did play a lot of games and were probably short to medium term signings who helped the club rise but came short in the Premier League.

It looks as if there was a very high turnover of playing staff, with a lot of foreign signings coming through the doors, as well as gambles on Premier League reserve signings.

His signings on the whole were fantastic for this level. 191 points in 2 seasons. Zimmerman, Stipermann, Vrancic, Buendia, Pukki, we’re all fantastic at this level. One of the best sides I’ve seen come to ewood at this level when they beat us that season. 

13 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

His signings on the whole were fantastic for this level. 191 points in 2 seasons. Zimmerman, Stipermann, Vrancic, Buendia, Pukki, we’re all fantastic at this level. One of the best sides I’ve seen come to ewood at this level when they beat us that season. 

Where they Farkes signings though?Or were those players identified and signed by Webber?

He plays good football and works well with youth and would have him down as my favourite to get the job, but he won't have the infastructure he had behind him at Norwich here.Webber had a major role in terms of recruitment at Norwich.

15 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Isn’t Webber off as well at Norwich? Thought he’d had a fall out with Delia. Could be ideal for DOF role?

Still there.Read at the weekend fans not happy with him as he wants time off during the transfer window to train for climbing Everest

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

Isn’t Webber off as well at Norwich? Thought he’d had a fall out with Delia. Could be ideal for DOF role?

If a man can fall out with Delia he will probably fall out with Venkys too...or is that the one benefit of absent owners, they're not there for people to fall out with?

19 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

hughton is to much like mowbray for me,plays the same conservative way,has always worked on a pretty big budget as well,which he is`nt getting here,he has however got a better track record than moggadon and is`nt as miserable as our tony either,not an appointment to get excited about but far from the worst

Hughton, 39.1% winning;

Mowbray, 41.4%.

Again, I believe if you replace your mgr, at least get someone who wins better than the departed. 

• Like 1

It's never particularly accurate to directly compare 2 managers and their win percentages, there are too many different factors to make that worthwhile, different budgets/circumstances at different teams, temporarily being in different leagues, being sacked early in poor seasons as to not further deplete your win percentage etc.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, goozburger said:

Waggott doesn't understand the fan base. He just understands his short term financial targets which kill off the fan base. That is absolutely not a positive.

That might mean Waggott having to re-open the BBE upper tier to season tickets. There must be some way we can avoid that. Is there no way we can extend Mowbray's stay, instead?

That should be a normal way of operating a football club. Mowbray confirmed what we all suspected. Waggott is a pen pusher. If Venkys don't entrust senior employees to make the big decisions that come with the title, the only hope is that they're making a bloody good decision behind the scenes that will surprise us all. Get the feeling it's going to be something to surprise us all, or they've got their thumb stuck up their arse. One of the two.

Venkys couldn't wipe their own backside never mind make a good decision for their Club.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Hughton, 39.1% winning;

Mowbray, 41.4%.

Again, I believe if you replace your mgr, at least get someone who wins better than the departed. 

Makes perfect sense to any football fan across the world Waco, but with Venkys and those wonderful advisors, we’ll get some absolute cheap rubbish.

I fear for us next season, I’m going to PM @jim mk2 and ask him to start the relegation thread early.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Makes perfect sense to any football fan across the world Waco, but with Venkys and those wonderful advisors, we’ll get some absolute cheap rubbish.

I fear for us next season, I’m going to PM @jim mk2 and ask him to start the relegation thread early.

I doubt we will be anywhere near relegation. I expect us to be at least challenging for the play-offs.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It's never particularly accurate to directly compare 2 managers and their win percentages, there are too many different factors to make that worthwhile, different budgets/circumstances at different teams, temporarily being in different leagues, being sacked early in poor seasons as to not further deplete your win percentage etc.

Agreed. Hughton has spent more seasons in the Premier League than Mowbray.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, rigger said:

I doubt we will be anywhere near relegation. I expect us to be at least challenging for the play-offs.

Blind optimism considering we don't have a clue who the manager will be or whether players like Lenihan, Nyambe and Brereton will even still be here.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Hughton, 39.1% winning;

Mowbray, 41.4%.

Mowbray had a season in league one whilst Hughton was in the prem. Do not compare the two.

I know anything can be proved/disproved by statistics, and there is always a bias/prejudice. However, looking at the numbers of Mowbray, and possible successors (I hope these stats are recent): 

Mowbray, 58 years old; 793 games managed; 41.4 win%.

Jackett, 60, years old; 922 games; 44.1%;

Davidson, 45 yrs; 95 games; 30.53%;

S. Reid (sentimental long shot), 41 yrs, 1 game, 100%;

Warne, age 49; 282 games; 38.3%;

Ryan Lowe, age 43; 235 games; 42.13%;

Ainsworth, 49 yrs; 523 games; 39.2%. 

Kenny Jackett has PL experience, 3 promotions, & a better win% than Tony. He checks several boxes.

Ryan Lowe is young, did an admirable job until Bury was buried, & has a decent win%. He also is currently employed. 

Ainsworth has done well within restrictive budgets, is passionate, popular, homeboy, & has a great deal of managerial experience. He has promotion on his resume, and is currently employed, again in promotion fight. 

Those are three fairly decent candidates, imo. 

Just now, LeftWinger said:

Blind optimism considering we don't have a clue who the manager will be or whether players like Lenihan, Nyambe and Brereton will even still be here.

True, but better than blind pessimism considering we don't have a clue who the manager will be or whether players like Lenihan, Nyambe and Brereton, may still be here.

2 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

I know anything can be proved/disproved by statistics, and there is always a bias/prejudice. However, looking at the numbers of Mowbray, and possible successors (I hope these stats are recent): 

Kenny Jackett has PL experience, 3 promotions, & a better win% than Tony. He checks several boxes.

Ryan Lowe is young, did an admirable job until Bury was buried, & has a decent win%. He also is currently employed. 

Ainsworth has done well within restrictive budgets, is passionate, popular, homeboy, & has a great deal of managerial experience. He has promotion on his resume, and is currently employed, again in promotion fight. 

All smell of L1 appointments to me. We should be aiming higher. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

All smell of L1 appointments to me. We should be aiming higher. 

I do not disagree, but it’s who we have a realistic shot. 

Hughton was mentioned. I would not be opposed to him, but he is 63. Mark Hughes is 58. Either name is much more exciting than several others on the lists we’ve seen in this thread. Same with Jackett.

If we want to build, I would prefer a decade or so younger. I spoke of bias earlier, age would be mine. 

• Like 1

Jacket probably wouldn't be the worst choice but if we want fresh ideas and a modern way of doing things then it'll need to be a younger guy.

With that tends to come less experience but that's the gamble and at least give yourselves a chance by getting someone rated and with a bit of pedigree.  The last attempts at a young manager were pathetic to say the least.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Kenny Jackett hasn't managed in the PL. Swansea, Millwall, Wolves, Rotherham, Pompey, Orient - the highest he has been was top half Championship at Millwall/Wolves. He has spent most of his career in League One. He has 3 promotions from League One and if we were a League One side would be a strong option as he has a good record.

But he's certainly not an appointment for a Championship side looking to go anywhere good.

The only boxes he ticks are that he's available, affordable and might be a safe pair of hands in terms of avoiding relegation.

Ryan Lowe is at Preston. Not going to leave them to come here nor would I want him to.

Passionate, popular, homeboy are not attributes that should be remotely relevant to us bringing in a new manager.

And I'm afraid suggestions of Davidson and Reid are just more from the ex-player brigade both of whom have it all to prove as managers before we should hand them the keys to Brockhall. I'm not sure where the fuss about Reid comes from, given he went on to represent the dingles after being with us I wouldn't have any sentimental view on him coming here.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

With that tends to come less experience but that's the gamble and at least give yourselves a chance by getting someone rated and with a bit of pedigree.  The last attempts at a young manager were pathetic to say the least.

We've certainly got a bad track record of trying with young managers.

Paul Ince - 40% win percentage at Macclesfield (did a great job to keep them up), then a 60% win percentage at MK Dons. 

Henning Berg - 41.6% win percentage at Lyn, 31% at Lillestrom. Only appointed due to his connections with the club really, although he's been fairly successful since.

Michael Appleton - 25.5% win percentage at Portsmouth and 16.7% at Blackpool. No idea what we were thinking there.

Ince in theory was the appointment most likely to work going off his previous record - but he struggled to fill Hughes shoes (or his own suit).

• Like 3