BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Which utterly brilliant manager will we be delighted to welcome next?

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

The 6-1 dismantling of Roma aside, I'm not seeing much about that which is more impressive than Deila's record in Norway. He also took a relegation threatened side and made them champions. Albeit Knutsen did it a bit faster and won it the season after, whereas Deila finished 2nd the next year before leaving. Stromsgodset have a bigger stadium than Glint, but still much smaller than the big boys over there.

Knutsen's achievement does seem a bit bigger, as he did it faster, followed up on it a bit better the next season, and with a slightly smaller club, but there's not orders of magnitude difference in it as far as I can see, mostly it's just more recent. Deila went on to two more clubs in two different countries and won titles and cups there too (albeit not that hard in Celtic's case), showing he probably isn't a one hit wonder.

I'm mentioning all of this because there seems to be much excitement at the thought of Knutsen but Deila got a mixed response. I'm probably missing something though.

Knutsen hasn’t got a failure on his CV, Deila has? I’d be relatively happy with Deila mind

19 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That’s what worries me. As some one said earlier - is the plan to become the next Crewe Alex ? Develop young players and continually sell them on ? That policy got Crewe a good reputation but it didn’t get them very far league position  wise.

When was the last time we sold a first team player that came through the academy? Raya I think.

We would have had interest in some of the others these past few yearsv

7 minutes ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

It's a target and not one that can necessarily be met every year. If you have a better method I'm sure the club would love to hear from you.

Hoping that a player we can sell will emerge every now and then isn’t ‘a plan’ for a sustainable club. It’s a bonus, but you don’t build on a club on it.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

A poster on a Rovers fans forum?? With an opinion 

Me too. Like any other appointment he’ll be judged on his signings. I can’t say that I’m too happy that the club appear to have  chosen to put all their eggs into the youth development basket. That’s a recipe for more stagnation. In my opinion of course.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 4

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

To have any chance of promotion you need to be hanging on to your better players for a while.

Difficult to argue but in our parlous financial state then I don't think we have a choice. I suppose that the hope has to be that if you can move on players for decent profits each season or two then it keeps us out of FFP peril.and allows a manager some leeway in the transfer market to incrementally improve the squad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

Hi, what do you know about Deila, would he be a great appointment?

Know him mainly from the norwegian league and what he did there. It was a very good achievement to win the league with Strømsgodset, small club, small budget. Vålerenga on the other hand, that was a bit of a dissapointment. Bigger club, bigger budget. But no one ever have success at Vålerenga. If he is a good fit for Rovers? Honestly don't know. Let's see if he gets the job first.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

Difficult to argue but in our parlous financial state then I don't think we have a choice. I suppose that the hope has to be that if you can move on players for decent profits each season or two then it keeps us out of FFP peril.and allows a manager some leeway in the transfer market to incrementally improve the squad.

That’s were the focus has to be on signing established players who may have fallen by the wayside like Dack and Rothwell. The guys you can get for reasonable fees. This guy might have a good eye for a player, like Peter Taylor for Brian Clough or like Bowyers dad had at Rovers - allegedly of course.

We’ll soon see.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sorry mate but I really don’t get the we all hate Norwegians line, some of my favourite rovers were Norwegians. 
I’m Scottish and lived most of my days in Glasgow so I’m well aware of the opinion on deila, it’s not good here 

Norwegian players are well regarded, my question was whether 'our' managers receive the same respect. 

45 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's a step in the right direction for me and hopefully he has an insight into Norwegian and Scandinavian football and can bring some quality players in (visas and permits allowing). I've always felt the Scandinavian market is untapped and maybe there is some logic (for once) behind this.

Oh and he's probably cheap too.

I could be wrong but I think the Scandi leagues are now very difficult to get players from with the points system. Probably talking pretty well known players from the top sides there, and/or internationals. The bargain bin there will be harder to utilise than years gone by, when I agree it was under-utilised.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Knutsen hasn’t got a failure on his CV, Deila has? I’d be relatively happy with Deila mind

He does, he was fired by Asane. He also seemingly didn't last long at a club called Fyllingsdallen, though I can't find why. He is also 7 years older than Deila and has only just come to prominence.

• Like 2

• Backroom

@J*B is it possible to bring the dislike button back for a single post?

No reason just curious 

Edited by Tom
  • Like 5

53 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Joking of course 😅

Just that i remember paul just days ago being very disparaging at the thought of anybody other than Ferguson getting the job

Lies - All I said was, I’d take Ferguson on the back of Ancelotti’s recommendation. I still would…but with Broughton now in place, surely the dream ticket is Knutsen or Delia? 

Whether or not this Broughton is any good of more importance is that he is given the tools and freedom to do the job.

That means that he should be central to the manager appointment and should be judged on it. 

I hope he has been contributing to the manager 'search' because if not this is likely to be a problem from the word go.

He will also have to direct in conjunction with the loons in India, their messenger man and Waggott so let's hope he's given some power and autonomy otherwise there's little point in this. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

This DoF seems like a decent appointment, even more random that we've pulled this guy in but let Waggot search for a manager. 

Nixon's last minute twist being Knutsen?

Could be. Have a feeling Deila is lined up but Broughton perhaps thinks he can convince Knutsen to join him. The timing for Knutsen to leave Glimt now is good imo, having worked wonders there but struggling a bit this season and with an impossible task of bettering/repeating last season.