BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

47 minutes ago, JHRover said:

My biggest concern is that the money people in India have either turned off the taps completely or down to a trickle, and it is because of this 'hand washing' that someone lower down the chain - Pasha probably - has the freedom to implement his own 'vision' for the club which we are seeing now.

This can be good and bad. On the good side hopefully it will mean a more conventional setup with proper people running things but on the bad side it is likely to be an extremely limited budget - I just cannot see India throwing money at this without the manager persuading Desai to go with it.

The transfer and contract activity of the last 18-24 months would suggest taps are off. Couple with the fact that Mowbray was shunned and left to run his contract down with no communication from India and that we did next to nothing in January to try and keep hold of our top 2 position all points to one thing to me - that the real power brokers here have gone dormant and aren't putting the extra money in.

Time will tell I suppose. Ideally this new structure is the result of joined up thinking and a new phase with India backing those on the ground to get the job done but I've been burned with this before so will hold my horses on that.

I've been doing some mental gymnastics over this aswell. Trouble is, there are so many confusing mixed signals from these people that it's almost impossible to understand what the plan is/was... We didn't hardly spend anything in January but yet let players go for free when big offers are there. It just doesn't make sense, much like their time here. 

The only thing I can take from all of this is that there's hopefully some infrastructure there now with someone who will stay on top of negotiations, contracts and sensible spending. The talk of having a few transfer windows to get the squad in a position to challenge to be a sustainable prem club puts me at ease a little that there will be funds available.

Although these people should rightly be righting their wrongs of getting the club relegated in the first place by spending big, a sustainable model of sensible spending and youth development should be the core values of any club. 

For balance, the things that concern me are things such talking about performances before wins. Whilst I understand the sentiment and intention to develop players, you can very quickly find yourselves in a relegation battle you struggle to get out of. Another is the emphasis on youth development, whilst the cost of having a grade 1 academy should obviously produce quality footballers, I hope this doesn't mean a refusal to simply buy better players than ones we currently have regardless if they've come through the academy. Take Rankin Costello for example, he's simply not good enough a right back to make you a sustainable prem club, so regardless of coming through the academy, we need someone better instead. Don't stick with them when they're simply not up to the standard to meet your main objectives of eventually being promoted. I'm putting my faith in JDT and his experience to find out who are and who aren't good enough to get us where we want to be. 

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Aye, but many outsiders thought we should be pretty chuffed with the job Mowbray was doing.

Always keen to hear a fans view.

He brought them two titles after a barren spell with an ageing team. That would equate to TM getting us promoted and consolidating in the PL.

One met his targets, one didn’t.

• Like 2

I’m seeing some praise from Burnley fans, so we must have a decent appointment for them ru be acknowledging it.

Still a few halfwits asking who he is, when his managerial record is more impressive than Kompanys, both young and both have incredible cvs as players.

27 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Aye, but many outsiders thought we should be pretty chuffed with the job Mowbray was doing.

Always keen to hear a fans view.

Found this.

Edited by booth

9 minutes ago, booth said:

I’m seeing some praise from Burnley fans, so we must have a decent appointment for them ru be acknowledging it.

Still a few halfwits asking who he is, when his managerial record is more impressive than Kompanys, both young and both have incredible cvs as players.

I genuinely without any bias think we've easily got the better man for the job long term, Kompanys a big name, but other than that there's nothing impressive about his cv since retirement

• Like 5

Just now, Ricky said:

Which managers would JDT have played under? I’m guessing there are some big names based on the clubs he’s been at. 

Ancelotti the big one

14 minutes ago, booth said:

I would like a poll - perhaps for any visiting Burnley fans, as well as ourselves.

Question - Who would you rather have as Rovers manager?

Option A - Vincent Kompany

Option B - JDT

I know where my vote is.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Will be very interesting to see what kind of influence JDT will have on players such as Gallagher, Markanday and Butterworth. Plus any new striker, assuming of course that Brereton will be sold. 

As an ex striker if he can get Gally to trap a bag of cement he'll do for me.  No seriously, saw the interviews and between them they have me very excited.  Let's hope he can put his words into something real.  Loved the possesion but you have to go forwards and score goals, Mowbary would be horrified.  He coached that iut if the likes of Trav.and Nyambe( IMHO).

Welcome and make us proud again.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RoverInverness said:

I would like a poll - perhaps for any visiting Burnley fans, as well as ourselves.

Option B - JDT

I know where my vote is.

most of them inbreds wont know who he is anyway, make it:

a defensive minded bloke

or

an attack minded bloke

JDT would still win.

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

My biggest concern is that the money people in India have either turned off the taps completely or down to a trickle, and it is because of this 'hand washing' that someone lower down the chain - Pasha probably - has the freedom to implement his own 'vision' for the club which we are seeing now.

This can be good and bad. On the good side hopefully it will mean a more conventional setup with proper people running things but on the bad side it is likely to be an extremely limited budget - I just cannot see India throwing money at this without the manager persuading Desai to go with it.

The transfer and contract activity of the last 18-24 months would suggest taps are off. Couple with the fact that Mowbray was shunned and left to run his contract down with no communication from India and that we did next to nothing in January to try and keep hold of our top 2 position all points to one thing to me - that the real power brokers here have gone dormant and aren't putting the extra money in.

Time will tell I suppose. Ideally this new structure is the result of joined up thinking and a new phase with India backing those on the ground to get the job done but I've been burned with this before so will hold my horses on that.

Funny though, listening to the DoF it's sounds like there are already targets. If so then that is very encouraging but also worrying since they have not even seen the lads on the training field yet so not sure how they can be on top of what we need.

21 minutes ago, RoverInverness said:

Option B - JDT

I know where my vote is.

On paper, JDT wins. Let’s hope he does on the pitch.

Just watched the two interviews. Both Jon and Gregg come across as intelligent, articulate and share a sense of optimism. What’s good to see is that they both smile and look like they genuinely want to be here.

You would like to think that Venky’s have given them a true assessment of what is available in the form of a kitty for, at least, the first two transfer windows. Even if that pot of money is only say a few million, each window, and they know they’ll have to work on bringing in cheap youngsters and developing them, together with utilising the loan market. It would also be nice if they have been given the green light to keep Brereton, should he be persuaded to stay.

Well that’s the football side of things sorted. Now for the CEO and commercial side. Wouldn’t it be good to have people in those positions with similar intelligence, optimism and common sense and have the whole club singing from the same hymn sheet?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tom said:

30 second clip of him meeting the squad, as Gally approaches with a big smile JDT says ‘good to see a striker’ 

I need to stop getting carried away here!

Did Gally look right, look left and look behind and ask WHERE?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, USABlue said:

but also worrying since they have not even seen the lads on the training field yet so not sure how they can be on top of what we need

Even just on paper you can see the squad is light. You don't need to watch them train to know that for example 2 of our starting CBs last season have left

• Like 3