BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Too many people over-rated the job he did in an average league, then backed themselves into a corner with “who could do better?, who else could we get? , be careful what you wish for….”.

Now they stubbornly won’t accept they were wrong.

It isn't a case of being "wrong", nobody knows how he would have fared this season, although some will obviously convince themselves. 

On the other side of the argument, we have those who refuse to admit that he left us in a healthy position, despite the fact that we have been top 6 virtually all season. 

As roversfan99 says above, it's probably somewhere in the middle, but the middle ground is something of a rarity when it comes to discussing Mowbray. 

Too many people want to be seen to be "right" when discussing him, to have a rational conversation. 

• Like 4

On 12/03/2023 at 20:41, Hasta said:

I’m bang in the middle.

He wasn’t to blame for relegation and takes huge credit for getting us straight back up. His first couple of seasons back were fine but by the last two seasons I felt there were too many strange decisions, we were not progressing and it was time for a change. 

I was just constantly told by some that no-one decent would want the job and no-one could do a better job. Many of those people are the ones that now criticise JDT far more than they ever did Mowbray. My post above is my reasoning why.

I think Mowbray is a decent but flawed person, like most people in the world. Mowbray played a big part in Rovers history leading us out of league 1 at the first opportunity. I'll be forever grateful for that.

His last two seasons were weird. Some atrocious runs and some big highs. He shouldn't have survived all of that in what is an unbelievably cut throat industry. But he did thanks to his job being bulletproof under Venkys lack of leadership, which led to his biggest character flaws being there for all to see. He can't stand criticism, gets very defensive and quite insular, cutting himself off to protect his fragile ego. A lot of people do this. It doesn't make him a bad bloke, but it's the last thing you want from a leader and it also makes critical self reflection difficult.

As a result his teams will always see major dips in form. Its nice to no longer have to listen to his endless waffle and excuses, but he did turn around a dying club, so I wish him the best. 

JDT is a different gravy as a leader. I just hope that tactically, he can continue to progress both in himself and for us as a team.

Edited by ben_the_beast
  • Like 5

57 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I think Mowbray is a decent but flawed person, like most people in the world. Mowbray played a big part in Rovers history leading us out of league 1 at the first opportunity. I'll be forever grateful for that.

His last two seasons were weird. Some atrocious runs and some big highs. He shouldn't have survived all of that in what is an unbelievably cut throat industry. But he did thanks to his job being bulletproof under Venkys lack of leadership, which led to his biggest character flaws being there for all to see. He can't stand criticism, gets very defensive and quite insular, cutting himself off to protect his fragile ego. A lot of people do this. It doesn't make him a bad bloke, but it's the last thing you want from a leader and it also makes critical self reflection difficult.

As a result his teams will always see major dips in form. Its nice to no longer have to listen to his endless waffle and excuses, but he did turn around a dying club, so I wish him the best. 

JDT is a different gravy as a leader. I just hope that tactically, he can continue to progress both in himself and for us as a team.

Very close to how I see it. By the end it was the right call for him to go. People rightly talk about the horrible form we went on from a great position last season, but it was actually the season before which changed things for me. That was the season where our squad was good enough to really have a go for the top 6, and we fell woefully short. Slightly unlucky with the injuries we picked up at centre back, but that only goes so far as an excuse. He rightly got some more credit in the bank after the unexpectedly excellent form before Christmas last year, but then the inevitable slump just felt all the worse after it. The best manager we had since Big Sam, but then again that isn't saying much at all!

On JDT, I still think that there are a couple of question marks but overall I'm really excited to see what he can do with a full summer. He was always playing catch up this season, but he'll know exactly what we need to be competitive next year. 

• Like 2

On 11/03/2023 at 14:34, Mattyblue said:

Initial remit, certainly. But still treading water by year 3, 4? Don’t think a re-established Championship club (and fanbase) buying teenagers for £7million should’ve been satisfied in mid to lower table every season, but most seemed to be.

Don’t disagree that he’d get flak, the ground was very close to turning only a few weeks ago against Swansea. End of the day TM was given a free pass that no manager before or since did/will get.

Bit of a sweeping statement there, @Mattyblue .

Don’t forget that Rovers have a lo-o-ng history; and that, in the childhood - the mid-1950s - of some of us, we had a similar sequence.

Johnny Carey, an Irish international full-back, was appointed by the Rovers Board of the day to his first managerial post at the start of the 1953/54 season when we had already been in Division Two for five seasons.

Which was a particularly painful time for the 7 to 12-year-old Rovers' fan "exiled" in Blackpool at a time when the Seasiders were in Division One and had just won the F.A Cup for the first - and only - time in the 1953 "Matthews Final". (I particularly remember the ⅓ of a pint of milk that we got at Primary School in those days had tangerine tops in the lead-up to that Final!)

It took Johnny Carey five more seasons to return us to the Promised Land; and, to the best of my memory, the fans of the day were behind him and the team he was building, until they clinched promotion in the famous final - Winner take all - game of the 1957/58 season, away to Charlton Athletic.

Different times; different attitudes, obviously. But they go some way to explaining why I was one of the last fans to stop cutting Mogadon Man some slack.

• Like 1

Of course managers should get cut slack depending on the circumstance of the club at that time.

But I’ve never known such a middling manager get such an easy ride from fans over such a long period of time. 

JDT is certainly not getting such a luxury after only months in situ.

• Like 2

I dont get the obsession, why does praise for Tomasson have to be a consequence of a comment about Mowbray?

The majority if not everyone on here wanted Mowbray gone.

We are in a great position now, the platform is there and a bit of pressure on Tomasson to deliver a memorable season. Performance levels were unconvincing for a while even with good results but in the last month or 2 things have seemingly just clicked and we look a different team.

• Like 2

We haven't done anything yet as we get to the culmination of this season but JDT is a brilliant boss.

I have seen and heard enough to be feeling very very good about having him at Rovers.

Deeply grateful for the Mowbray era which took Rovers from a laughing stock to a serious football club again.

JDT can take us on to the next level against all the parachute payments stacked against us if we get even breaks from lady luck.

• Like 2

On 12/03/2023 at 20:09, M_B said:

On the other side of the argument, we have those who refuse to admit that he left us in a healthy position, despite the fact that we have been top 6 virtually all season. 

Healthy position is debatable - losing Rothwell, Lenihan and Nyambe - with a lob sided squad that he had really failed to address in the years he was with us.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, martonrover said:

……..and if he gets a reasonable level of backing from those above him.

I believe he and GB wouldn't be here in the first place if they didn't have a commitment for us to be continue to be supported up to the FFP ceiling.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont get the obsession, why does praise for Tomasson have to be a consequence of a comment about Mowbray?

The majority if not everyone on here wanted Mowbray gone.

We are in a great position now, the platform is there and a bit of pressure on Tomasson to deliver a memorable season. Performance levels were unconvincing for a while even with good results but in the last month or 2 things have seemingly just clicked and we look a different team.

I honestly don't believe the majority wanted him gone at all.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course managers should get cut slack depending on the circumstance of the club at that time.

But I’ve never known such a middling manager get such an easy ride from fans over such a long period of time. 

JDT is certainly not getting such a luxury after only months in situ.

Did he though? Let's not forget that most of our worst spells happened during Covid, and by the time the fans could come back properly, we looked like we had a half decent chance of at least getting a play off spot.

I'm sure there was a poll on here a couple of seasons back which asked if people wanted either or both of Mowbray & Waggott out, and it was literally 90-95% who wanted him gone. Obviously that's not going to be representative of all match going fans, but playing behind closed doors definitely helped shield him from any fan reaction when we were at our worst.