BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Jon Dahl Tomasson - Officially No Longer Our Head Coach

42 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

image.png.cb208248320fbdc28a2d8d89990c7a23.png

Interesting---good post. Only 2 of the top ten on that list doing well. 2nd most touches for us and we've conceded the most goals apart from Rotherham and they are bottom. (57 versus our 56!)

One stat that would be so appropriate for us would be the number of chances converted as  against those created.

Bit subjective, that's the problem but I reckon we'd be bottom!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Interesting---good post. Only 2 of the top ten on that list doing well. 2nd most touches for us and we've conceded the most goals apart from Rotherham and they are bottom. (57 versus our 56!)

One stat that would be so appropriate for us would be the number of chances converted as  against those created.

Bit subjective, that's the problem but I reckon we'd be bottom!

This any good? - I’m assuming ‘shots at the goal’ = shots on target…

IMG_1537.thumb.jpeg.2c637ffe934ade6987ef629b7e046afa.jpeg

Edited by wilsdenrover
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, wilsdenrover said:

This any good? - I’m assuming ‘shots at the goal’ = shots on target…

IMG_1537.thumb.jpeg.2c637ffe934ade6987ef629b7e046afa.jpeg

Sort of. But there are chances like Gallagher had yesterday where he should have scored but put it wide. That wouldn't be on this list. I'd have expected us to be lower than we are on table above tbf. 

Thanks for going to that trouble.

• Like 2

Just now, 47er said:

Sort of. But there are chances like Gallagher had yesterday where he should have scored but put it wide. That wouldn't be on this list. I'd have expected us to be lower than we are on table above tbf. 

Thanks for going to that trouble.

You’re welcome 👍

I think your Gallagher example is included in that list but the headings aren’t overly clear.

I interpreted them (rightly or wrongly!) as…

Total shots on goal = shots whether on target or not

Shots at the goal = shots on target

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And yet his style and approach was fine when we went on cup runs and were a whisker away from the playoffs. In fact everything seemed good until we went on a horrible run from December onwards. Players look to shift the blame too often for me and that is what Brittain is doing here.

When we were good, we were exhilarating. But we couldn't keep it up for 90 mins (neither can I!) and we inevitably ran out of steam with inadequate cover from the bench.

That's why we couldn't close games down and every manager knew it.

Guess JDT was guilty of trying to play champagne football with Thwaites players.

Some wonderful moments though and I think  he'll do well with a better squad.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Crikey... sounds like the rumors of JDT losing the dressing room were right. Brittain's quotes very dismissive of Tomasson's style and approach.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24112995.blackburns-change-approach-dressing-room-discussions/?fbclid=IwAR1GbSE7IDB1Kou34GQVjeTu0u5Bony-ivCCcdyFcsUUTC71wmWcGtE53do

Says it all without actually saying it. Play to the teams strengths rather than their weaknesses.

Glad the players thought the same as most fans as it was infuriating seeing them turn down crossing opportunities or not sending it down the channels when it was obviously the right thing to do.

I enjoyed that first half against Stoke more than anything else I had seen at Ewood this season, the myth that it was only an issue from December is just that. 

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Crikey... sounds like the rumors of JDT losing the dressing room were right. Brittain's quotes very dismissive of Tomasson's style and approach.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24112995.blackburns-change-approach-dressing-room-discussions/?fbclid=IwAR1GbSE7IDB1Kou34GQVjeTu0u5Bony-ivCCcdyFcsUUTC71wmWcGtE53do

Its probably a case of a footballer being asked a question about how well his new boss is doing, and replying in the positive, rather than a direct dig at JDT

Not to say that there is not some truth in what Brittain said, but it doesn't necessarily mean everyone hated JDT and wanted him gone

• Like 3

LOL what a rat. JDT's body isn't even cold yet. 

• Like 2

Some of Brittain's performances have been appalling. It's easy to say I was shit but it was the other guys fault. He was the only one controlling his body when he couldn't pass or defend properly.

Same with Gallagher, he was very good on Saturday winning headers, but in the game against QPR he assisted the opposition by barely getting off the ground.

I'll be interested to see if they keep it up for Eustace, or whether they can't be arsed again when the going gets tough. They showed signs of it in the second half.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, booth said:

Some of Brittain's performances have been appalling. It's easy to say I was shit but it was the other guys fault. He was the only one controlling his body when he couldn't pass or defend properly.

Same with Gallagher, he was very good on Saturday winning headers, but in the game against QPR he assisted the opposition by barely getting off the ground.

I'll be interested to see if they keep it up for Eustace, or whether they can't be arsed again when the going gets tough. They showed signs of it in the second half.

I think the players had (either consciously or not) downed tools for the QPR game. Lets hope we get more like the Stoke game going forward as you say

The West Brom away game was a turning point for me. The players had lost faith in the manager and effectively given up. Apart from Garrett, who had his best game I've seen for Rovers, every player on that pitch was not fighting for the cause. Brittain's comments show the uncomfortable truth

Was chatting to my Dad this weekend after the Stoke game, who has witnessed far more football in his 74 years than I have, we're both delighted with the win but almost a deep frustration who it can take a change in manager to totally shift the players as a group. To him, having watched some of the most famous successful sides down the years, he finds it almost unbelievable that a team can be so wedded to a set of tactics even though it clearly ain't working, with players just doing what they are told. 

I'd like to know from people who have played to a decent level, how is t possible for teams to continue with systems that clearly aren't working, following them to the letter. What's it like in the dressing room? Is it just a case of the players with their heads down, shrugging their shoulders, "it's what the gaffer wants"...

Is it case of the game now being so professional that players carry out tactics regardless, or is coupled with the fact that we haven't had any real leaders or experience on the pitch to help manage certain situations - i.e at Turf Moor last season, "put your foot through it Clinton!"

I've been guilty of being jobsworth at times when certain bosses, managers and clients treat you in certain ways or tell you what to do even though you disagree - I suppose you just coast through, get it done and go home. It's so hard to imagine this happens in football, but it must like any job. 

If anything the game on Saturday made me more and more angry at the last 6 months of JDT's reign if I'm honest, that through this blind commitment to this style of play we're risking a dalliance with relegation.

I find Brittain's comments pretty revealing:

"As a group, we have spoken in the last week about using Gally's strengths. Hedgey coming in at the back post, we don't do it enough."

"I think we turn down crosses and we come out too much. We want to put the ball in dangerous areas and we did, it caused problems.

"I think it is a strength for me, crossing. It wasn't something the last gaffer wanted, it was a different style," he explained.

"The manager (Eustace) told us to take the shackles off, I think we did that today. I'm very excited to work under him."

They obviously know what they want, but under the previous regime couldn't do anything about it. I find it really frustrating.

Edited by Groundhog
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, roverblue said:

I think the players had (either consciously or not) downed tools for the QPR game. Lets hope we get more like the Stoke game going forward as you say

In the second half you could see they weren't putting in as much effort as the first half and I reckon that's why Eustace came down to the dugout and started to make changes. Until he intervened I was terrified we were going to end up conceding more goals.

The problem with our players is they don't want to play 90 minutes. Maybe it's a fitness issue but under Mowbray we'd only play one good half so maybe a mentality issue.

22 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

Complaining that we werent playing to Gallaghers strengths.

He is a 1 in 5 striker ffs not exactly a talisman.

And yet, we are going to have to wrap him in cotton wool for the busy schedule ahead.

Lose him to injury again and we are in the mire.

Same for Brittain, Sammie, JRC, Tronstad, Hyam , going to have to be managed carefully the next few weeks

Edited by Tugayisgod

I've always thought that we got a lot of injuries, a lot of muscle strains, hamstrings - I know JDT blamed sitting on the coach, but I just wonder if the demands he set were too high, not only tactically but fitness wise. This desire to press with his famous "intensity" meant that we were burnt out after the first 30mins, and after 65mins just totally not in the game especially when the opposition making subs that we couldn't dream of.

It' goes back to a manager using the strengths of his squad. 

Someone mentioned Hedges come straight back in, maybe he wasn't "JDT fit", but he's fit enough to do a role for Johnson and/or Eustace?

I'm not bashing JDT after the event, there's just so many unknowns with this squad.

On Gallagher, I'll admit I was one of them fans getting frustrated with him, now he's had a run out of the team I'm eating my words - we've seen how much we miss him. It's just more for opposition defences to think about, one big guy and a little guy tirelessly moving and harrying.

I'm not sure it's fair to judge him either, under JDT and Mowbray I feel like he's been played everywhere other than the role of big lad up front - let's see what happens if he gets a run in a more typical role. The guy works dam hard. 

Interesting that the players are already taking a slight dig at JDTs style of football. The quotes from Brittain are interesting this morning and probably reflect the majority of the squad. 

When you have someone like Gally upfront and try to play passing football you are doomed from day one. Get it up to him quickly and ask him to be a nuisance and he'll do fairly well.

The players we have will be far more suited to Eustace's style of play. 

We must get Dolan tied up to a new contract. I've never been a huge fan but I was wrong, he's becoming a very good player. We missed him a lot when he was out injured. Telalovic, on the other hand, is someone I cannot believe we paid a fee for. I honestly cannot think of a worse striker we've had. Even Chris Brown was better.

Edited by rovers11

• Backroom

Gally has been injured for significant amounts of time lately, so how could we build a style of play around him? Moreover the strikers that were foisted onto JDT by our DOF have by and large been completely useless. Fortunately Szmodics has stepped up otherwise we'd probably be in the bottom three. 

Too many players in this team who have shown their heads go down when things get tough. Easy to give it the big'un after beating a Stoke side who are struggling even more than we are. I don't trust many of the players out there and, imo, neither should Eustace.  

• Like 9

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

And yet his style and approach was fine when we went on cup runs and were a whisker away from the playoffs. In fact everything seemed good until we went on a horrible run from December onwards. Players look to shift the blame too often for me and that is what Brittain is doing here.

Basically agree with that. I do think that defenders were basically left out to dry by JDT's style of play, but for the most part we could take that because it was worth it in helping us create more (until December, as you say). And Brittain's talking more about being too rigid going forward, which just hasn't been a problem at all until recently. not least because Gally hasn't even been playing because of his injury!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Groundhog said:

Was chatting to my Dad this weekend after the Stoke game, who has witnessed far more football in his 74 years than I have, we're both delighted with the win but almost a deep frustration who it can take a change in manager to totally shift the players as a group. To him, having watched some of the most famous successful sides down the years, he finds it almost unbelievable that a team can be so wedded to a set of tactics even though it clearly ain't working, with players just doing what they are told. 

I'd like to know from people who have played to a decent level, how is t possible for teams to continue with systems that clearly aren't working, following them to the letter. What's it like in the dressing room? Is it just a case of the players with their heads down, shrugging their shoulders, "it's what the gaffer wants"...

Is it case of the game now being so professional that players carry out tactics regardless, or is coupled with the fact that we haven't had any real leaders or experience on the pitch to help manage certain situations - i.e at Turf Moor last season, "put your foot through it Clinton!"

I've been guilty of being jobsworth at times when certain bosses, managers and clients treat you in certain ways or tell you what to do even though you disagree - I suppose you just coast through, get it done and go home. It's so hard to imagine this happens in football, but it must like any job. 

If anything the game on Saturday made me more and more angry at the last 6 months of JDT's reign if I'm honest, that through this blind commitment to this style of play we're risking a dalliance with relegation.

I find Brittain's comments pretty revealing:

"As a group, we have spoken in the last week about using Gally's strengths. Hedgey coming in at the back post, we don't do it enough."

"I think we turn down crosses and we come out too much. We want to put the ball in dangerous areas and we did, it caused problems.

"I think it is a strength for me, crossing. It wasn't something the last gaffer wanted, it was a different style," he explained.

"The manager (Eustace) told us to take the shackles off, I think we did that today. I'm very excited to work under him."

They obviously know what they want, but under the previous regime couldn't do anything about it. I find it really frustrating.

It is interesting, as we were quite effective, gally won a lot of flick ons and Dolan was there to pick up. 'Releasing the shackles' were they really told not to cross it? Mad. We don't have a plan b target man mind.

I did think we didn't play amazingly also though, and Stoke were awful but had chances. We'd lose against a better team.

Going to be very interesting seeing how we play now, its a great jumping off point for Eustace my opinion. As JDT had some very positive attacking aspects drilled into them.

Edited by DackDackGoose
  • Like 1