BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

4 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

Never mind Norwich - your run has taken you top of the league, you are the team to catch now.

I think it's telling so far that no team has really got near the 2 points per game benchmark for promotion. I think your lot look by some distance the most likely to get to that point - all of the other clubs with parachute payments look more fragile for various reasons. 

Taking into account our extra games I don't think we're in a meaningfully better position than the rest of the top half in reality, but then again there's nobody in this league (again, with the possible exception of Burnley on their day) who we should feel inferior to based on this season's evidence - even though we've not exactly been setting the world alight ourselves. I would've put Sheff U there too, but they've lacked consistency too & seem to be missing some big players until after the world cup at least. 

The league is just so open this year it appears to be inflating our expectations...16 games and 27 points sits us top of the table (albeit others with games in hand)

20/21: 16 games and 23 points (12th place) - Bournemouth 37 and Fulham 35 points

19/20: 16 games and 25 points (9th place) - Norwich 31 points and Bournemouth 30 points

After 16 games last season Coventry had the same points we have now and finished 12th overall, likewise QPR finished 11th. Sheffield United back in 16th reached the playoffs. 

Our run up to the World Cup is huge, 4 very low rated teams in a row probably should see us in the top two as we head into our local derby followed by a few weeks off! Rovers & England double pays 200/1 - Merry Christmas

image.png.e34dd30d44392e31e10039d71a1a76d9.png

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I think it's telling so far that no team has really got near the 2 points per game benchmark for promotion. I think your lot look by some distance the most likely to get to that point - all of the other clubs with parachute payments look more fragile for various reasons. 

Taking into account our extra games I don't think we're in a meaningfully better position than the rest of the top half in reality, but then again there's nobody in this league (again, with the possible exception of Burnley on their day) who we should feel inferior to based on this season's evidence - even though we've not exactly been setting the world alight ourselves. I would've put Sheff U there too, but they've lacked consistency too & seem to be missing some big players until after the world cup at least. 

A couple of weeks ago I thought Norwich and Sheff Utd looked set. Not sure what went wrong with Norwich but Sheff Utd maybe lack quality in depth and a couple of injuries has set them back. Luton do seem fairly consistent and are back in the mix. You guys can win games, it's only a small step to winning 2 in three rather than 1 win one loss. We draw to many, or at least have so far. Many teams are setting up with 5 at the back or 2 banks of 4 and sitting in, limit our chances, looking to hit us on the break/counter. And it has worked. We have struggled to really open those teams up whilst keeping the back door shut, hence all the 1-1's and late equalisers.

For the record I still suspect Watford will come good and still fear the top 2 will be from Sheff Utd, Norwich, Watford. I feel we should be able to make top 6. A caveat to all this is the World Cup break - lord knows who will be winners and losers from that though both you and us should benefit I feel - and we do have decent squad depth with some key signings still to come back and the option to add in January.

2 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Not sure if we were ever looking to appoint Beale as manager in the summer, but looks like we dodged a bullet if so.

Leaving QPR to join Wolves apparently.

Would be a very strange appointment. A decent start in a very even Championship but enough to become the leading candidate for a job at a Premier League regular? Not for me.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Would be a very strange appointment. A decent start in a very even Championship but enough to become the leading candidate for a job at a Premier League regular? Not for me.

I agree with you. 

I think Wolves have seen their first 2 targets not come also for various reasons. 

Also, I seen Michael Carrick will take the Boro head coach job which I am surprised after he rejected it last week. 

Keep saying it but this league is p1ss poor and I think Rovers can achieve anything they want to this season providing JDT puts into practice his learnings from the season so far and he is backed in the Jan. window.  Confidence and momentum are everything in the Championship.

There is no team to fear.  Rovers need to be bold and brave from the top of the organisation to the bottom.  We may never have a better chance of going up.

• Like 7

We say it every year how weak the Championship is but this year it must be true: this is the worst championship quality wise ever. 

WBA shed load of talent doing badly. Ditto Watford. 

Teams with limited resources like QPR and Luton doing well. 

Burnley for all their financial clout and position in the league haven't seemed convincing, or at least not dominant, to me. Lots of draws and a rookie manager suggests they aren't going to run away with it. Norwich have looked even less convincing this year and reliant on individuals. So the prem trio won't run away with it. 

Boro spent big yet are struggling. Sheff Utd seem a good bet but how good is Heckingbottom as a manager. Again they haven't looked head and shoulders above everyone. 

Perennial strugglers such as Rotherham and Wigan are getting points, which speaks volumes. Sunderland have TM and the new year to look forward to. 

In short there's never been a better time to get promoted than this year (again)

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

We say it every year how weak the Championship is but this year it must be true: this is the worst championship quality wise ever. 

WBA shed load of talent doing badly. Ditto Watford. 

Teams with limited resources like QPR and Luton doing well. 

Burnley for all their financial clout and position in the league haven't seemed convincing, or at least not dominant, to me. Lots of draws and a rookie manager suggests they aren't going to run away with it. Norwich have looked even less convincing this year and reliant on individuals. So the prem trio won't run away with it. 

Boro spent big yet are struggling. Sheff Utd seem a good bet but how good is Heckingbottom as a manager. Again they haven't looked head and shoulders above everyone. 

Perennial strugglers such as Rotherham and Wigan are getting points, which speaks volumes. Sunderland have TM and the new year to look forward to. 

In short there's never been a better time to get promoted than this year (again)

We'd need another goal scorer to really push for promotion.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brereton goes in January and Gallagher / Dolan / Hirst isn't a consistent source of goals - they'll chip in at best.

18 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

We'd need another goal scorer to really push for promotion.

I wouldn't be surprised if Brereton goes in January and Gallagher / Dolan / Hirst isn't a consistent source of goals - they'll chip in at best.

If they rely on those 3 for goals then they really should be fired. Clearly non of those 3 are remotely near to carrying the burden. Goodness I'm not even sure what Hirst brings to the party. 

2 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Not bad results there for us. Obviously qpr against 10 men at home, but a late brum equaliser and cov winner was a decent return from 3 quite winnable fixtures for our top of the table rivals

Excellent I'd say. Especially given QPR could lose their manager which may disrupt them somewhat. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

Birmingham look a real good outfit this season, at this level Deeney and hogan are good options up top, hannibal never stops In the middle for them, my bet for dark horses this season 

Will be a very good test on sat against them 

Fancy us strongly to extend our lead at the top.  Some confidence building.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

100%. Be a bit painful obviously. As it goes I would love the three promoted teams to be us, you and PNE; proper old Lancashire clubs and founder members of the League - but obviously us as champions 😂

PNE fans would be cry w*nking if that ever happened. Their obsession with Rovers is bizarre and sullying their first foray on the Premier League would definitely send a few insane.

Edited by booth
  • Like 1