BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Championship - 22-23

I was critical of the decision to let Coventry 'get away' with the situation earlier this season. As far as I am concerned being unable to host games on their own ground is a major issue that needed dealing with robustly by the authorities, instead they were just allowed to postpone them all, catch the games up and play them at a time that causes havoc to other teams' fixtures 

So no doubt if there is an issue with our game there we can forget about the League dealing with the situation and we will probably just get an 11th hour postponement and then have to listen to someone telling us how they really care about supporters.

Whilst this situation isn't entirely their own fault the reality is they don't own or have exclusive use of their stadium nor have responsibility for their own pitch so no sympathy. Everyone else manages.

The League should be setting a deadline of midday Monday. Before then it should be moved to a neutral venue between here and Coventry and be closed to home fans

If after then they can't host the game at their ground a 1-0 win should be awarded to Rovers.

About time the League got a grip and started dealing with repeat offenders. Bolton another lot who got away with allsorts for years.

I was wondering what would happen to City since Wasps went into administration. If artificial pitches are allowed in the football league then there's the Butts Park Arena. However, that is a hell of a lot smaller, and they'd have to fit it around Coventry RFU's schedule. Otherwise it'll be back to Northampton or Birmingham City short term. 

5 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

I disagree and - I can't believe I'm saying this - it should be awareded 0-3 in your favour as that has always been the scoreline for abandone games.

It's an absolute joke of a situation and, whilst not the fault of the fans, it definitely is the fault of the club AND the football authorities who have allowed this festering situation to exist in various forms for a few years now. The schedules are a;ways packed in this league and the world cup has exascerbated this. Those clubs impacted by Coverntry's failure to host games are put at a disadvantage. 

Yes that's what I was thinking. I suggested a 1-0 win because that was what they awarded Ipswich after Bolton failed to turn up for their game the other year.

I moaned about this situation at the start of the season and people shot me down saying that it didn't matter, that it wasn't their fault and that they would have to make the games up at a more inconvenient time. I disagree - I think it does matter. First off because it makes a mockery of the league for a club to not be able to fulfil its fixtures no matter who is to blame. Secondly because all these clubs they have postponed against also have to fit the extra game into midweeks causing extra difficulties for them.

End of the day they have gone into the deal at the Ricoh for reasons only known to them after selling off Highfield Road. I presume one of the reasons was financial. In doing so they have left themselves open to risk of being tenants and some agreement whereby they don't control or have exclusive use of the venue. That's their choice but I don't see why the league or rival clubs should be messed about because of it.

About time sporting and financial sanctions were imposed. Fines and games awarded to the opposition if they aren't capable of hosting matches, or they find somewhere else to play that is less convenient to them. Most non-league clubs have their own venues and can play there every week so I don't accept there is no alternative for a relatively wealthy Championship club.

• Like 4

It's ridiculous. As is the reactive nature of the club and authorities. From the start of the season Coventry should have either forfeited the games or been made to play at a neutral ground or away from home. If this was highlighted earlier I'm sure all opposition teams would have been able to host the games. 

5 hours ago, Tricky said:

Hopefully he'll get recalled back to Southampton in January 😁

I haven't seen enough of their games to know about how important he is for them, but from what I have seen he seems like a player with pace that inspires the rest of the team.

So I hope so too 😄

Edit: unlikely but I like the headline...

Edited by booth

• Backroom

Birmingham already two up against QPR. Not surprised, they looked like a decent side at Ewood on Saturday. We did well to take three points off them, and I think they'll climb the league pretty quickly if their performance levels stay at a similar level for the rest of the season.

• Like 5

On the back of last Saturday in what thought was an impressive performance at Ewood last week Birmingham are currently beating QPR 2-0. Their high press and intensity is working really well and suited to play against these teams who like to play out from the back.

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

On the back of last Saturday in what thought was an impressive performance at Ewood last week Birmingham are currently beating QPR 2-0. Their high press and intensity is working really well and suited to play against these teams who like to play out from the back.

They did well against us and easily earned their point. They didn’t seem to tire either!

Not pretty but powerful, fast and hard working. On another day they’d have beaten us.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

They did well against us and easily earned their point. They didn’t seem to tire either!

Not pretty but powerful, fast and hard working. On another day they’d have beaten us.

The bit in bold goes a long way in the Championship.

• Like 4

Birmingham beating Qpr doesn't surprise me at all. Excellent result that. I said on another thread that beating Brum was an excellent 3 points and they'll take points off our rivals. 2 off Burnley and 3 off qpr in the last couple weeks alone.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, booth said:

I haven't seen enough of their games to know about how important he is for them, but from what I have seen he seems like a player with pace that inspires the rest of the team.

So I hope so too 😄

Edit: unlikely but I like the headline...

Yep, on the other side of this, we might lose BBD around then anyway 

Remember when festive period fixtures were local/local-ish games?

Now we have Cardiff and their fans having to get to Ewood for noon on NYD. The complete contempt the football authorities and their paymasters have for supporters has never been more clear.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, only2garners said:

So that's 5 more TV games on Sky between now and New Year's Day, out of a total of 8.

And thanks to our cousins at the end of the M65, don't take any coins should you be getting up early to go to Sunderland on Boxing Day, or they will be confiscated.

We get paid for each SKY appearance, so really we should be glad that we're being recognised.