BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hartlepool Utd (h) - Carabao Cup, 10/8/22

53 minutes ago, Andy said:

He’s kept clean sheets and had good performances in the Championship for both us and Boro.

He had an unbelievably bad game against Wigan last season - as in, I’d have legitimately done better - but one game defines the rest of his career?

I think he'd dropped the odd clanger in the season before last too hadn't he - Reading at home was it after a few seconds, when he wandered to the side of the penalty area? I can remember a lot of people not being confident when he had to step in for Kaminski for a bit last season, and that was before the Wigan game. Granted he did okay and made a couple of saves at Bournemouth.

If he does play tonight though and can't get through a home game v Hartlepool without making a mistake or looking like a bag of nerves, then he'll probably never be an able deputy for us.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andy said:

He’s kept clean sheets and had good performances in the Championship for both us and Boro.

He had an unbelievably bad game against Wigan last season - as in, I’d have legitimately done better - but one game defines the rest of his career?

No. Not one game. He had been shit before too. I forget the game/s and circumstances, but the season before last we had pretty much written him off as shite. Last season he seemed to have improved and had a series of acceptable performances (nowhere near as good as they were bigged up by some, the defence did most of the work but he performed solidly) before the Wigan clangers. But Wigan was by no means the first time he had looked like a shaky keeper.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, frosty said:

I think he'd dropped the odd clanger in the season before last too hadn't he - Reading at home was it after a few seconds, when he wandered to the side of the penalty area? I can remember a lot of people not being confident when he had to step in for Kaminski for a bit last season, and that was before the Wigan game. Granted he did okay and made a couple of saves at Bournemouth.

If he does play tonight though and can't get through a home game v Hartlepool without making a mistake or looking like a bag of nerves, then he'll probably never be an able deputy for us.

I'd honestly rather play Hilton. But, Pears has been on the bench under JDT so he's obviously next in line and will likely play tonight for better or worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy said:

For us, he's had one good performance and all the others have included clangers and abysmal goalkeeping.

Can't speak for his Boro career but he has been woeful for us and that's putting it politely. It's not just one bad game!

Are people forgetting the season before last?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, goozburger said:

By my estimation, Rovers supporters have bought 4,641 tickets so far. That excludes walk-on supporters and a minimum of 350 Hartlepool United supporters.

5 or 6 thousand wouldn't be bad at all for a game like this.

Rovers   1     Hartles Pool   1       - Penalties AET

Looking forward to it  COYB

50 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No. Not one game. He had been shit before too. I forget the game/s and circumstances, but the season before last we had pretty much written him off as shite. Last season he seemed to have improved and had a series of acceptable performances (nowhere near as good as they were bigged up by some, the defence did most of the work but he performed solidly) before the Wigan clangers. But Wigan was by no means the first time he had looked like a shaky keeper.

This. In one of those games where he was acceptable I remember he pulled off one save which got a lot of plaudits, but he really only had to make it because his positioning was absolutely woeful in the first place.

Unbelievably there were a good few people claiming he’d done enough to keep his place when Kaminski got back fit. Thankfully Mowbray didn’t agree.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, goozburger said:

By my estimation, Rovers supporters have bought 4,641 tickets so far. That excludes walk-on supporters and a minimum of 350 Hartlepool United supporters.

How did you 'estimate' so precisely? Have you counted all the unavailable seats?

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

I cant remember who it was against, but Pears pulled off a fantastic save low down to his right-hand side, at the near post. The problem was, that he had to make the save because his positioning for the original cross was so poor, he was nowhere near the ball.

Edited by rigger

The draw for Round 2's made straight after the end of tonight's ties. That's expected to be around 9.40. No extra time; goes straight to penalties if teams are level after 90 minutes.

Rovers/Hartlepool are No. 22 in the Northern Group. 2nd Round games to be played during the week after next.

1 tie from this Round still to be played - tomorrow - involving WBA, which explains why we're playing them in the Championship on Sunday, rather than Saturday.

I hold out hope that we get through and play Stockport away in the next round (I think the only possible tie which is a new ground for me)

Longer term it would be good for the Club, finances, fans and young players to have a game against one of the top sides either filling Ewood or a good away trip. We haven't had one of those now since Liverpool in 2015.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I hold out hope that we get through and play Stockport away in the next round (I think the only possible tie which is a new ground for me)

Longer term it would be good for the Club, finances, fans and young players to have a game against one of the top sides either filling Ewood or a good away trip. We haven't had one of those now since Liverpool in 2015.

Or Utd a year or two later.

21 minutes ago, JHRover said:

United in the FA Cup league one season we had a good crowd on 

1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

EFL have confirmed no FA cup or League Cup games on iFollow, and only 2 games per round on Sky TV - neither of which is Rovers.

I guess that means absolutely no TV for tonight. Want some detailed match reports from those who go!

ITV4 has highlights at 10.30pm

Wednesday/Sunderland is on ESPN+ here in the states. 

46 minutes ago, R0verb0y said:

1 tie from this Round still to be played - tomorrow - involving WBA, which explains why we're playing them in the Championship on Sunday, rather than Saturday.

It's the other way around. The league game got moved to Sunday, so that's why the cup games been moved also, I think.

What is the temperature like in Blackburn this evening? It is a balmy 28 degrees here on the north coast of Brittany... I don't envy the players if it is a dry hot atmosphere this evening en Angelterre...