Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hartlepool Utd (h) - Carabao Cup, 10/8/22

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v Hartlepool Utd (h) - Carabao Cup, 10/8/22

Kaminski

Rankin Costello Phillips Wharton Edun

Morton A Wharton

Markanday Dack Dolan

Vale

Subs: Pears, Buckley, Garrett, Leonard, Szmodics, Gallagher, Hedges, Ayala, Pickering

I feel we need to rotate with the squad still very light, quite a few players come under the must not get injured category due to a lack of alternatives at the club. Kaminski, Ayala, Wharton, Brittain, Travis and Brereton the clear examples.

That being said, I desperately want us to win and be in the next round and do not see a cup run as the burden others do. That team should be able to see off poor opposition. Wharton has to play and Kaminski can play without being a huge injury risk, maintaining a bit of continuity.

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Kaminski

Rankin Costello Phillips Wharton Edun

Morton A Wharton

Markanday Dack Dolan

Vale

Subs: Pears, Buckley, Garrett, Leonard, Szmodics, Gallagher, Hedges, Ayala, Pickering

I feel we need to rotate with the squad still very light, quite a few players come under the must not get injured category due to a lack of alternatives at the club. Kaminski, Ayala, Wharton, Brittain, Travis and Brereton the clear examples.

That being said, I desperately want us to win and be in the next round and do not see a cup run as the burden others do. That team should be able to see off poor opposition. Wharton has to play and Kaminski can play without being a huge injury risk, maintaining a bit of continuity.

Think Jake Garrett just about gets the nod for me over AW, but this would be my side also.

I'd like to see Phillips start, with ayala wrapped up in cotton wool at home. Then one of Wharton or garret next to morton with Markandy and Dack getting some minutes.  Not that we need rotation but good to get some minutes into the legs and see what the fringe players can do. 

• Like 1

I wonder if the formation will be a plan A set up, with a solid back four, and a fluid front four. Or a plan B set up with three center-halves, two attacking fullbacks, with three set forwards. Whichever plan is used, I think JDT will play with two central midfielders. 

Edited by rigger

Kaminski

JRC    Phillips  Wharton  Edun

Garrett    Morton

Markanday   Dack (c)    Dolan

Vale

Subs: Pears, Harlock, Annesley, Wharton, Buckley, Hedges, Gallagher

Wouldn't even risk Ayala on the bench. No point playing Pears for me we know he's terrible (although JDT might want to learn this out for himself).

That makes 9 changes but on paper it should be strong enough to win. Big opportunity for 4 or 5 players to make an impression on the manager

• Like 1

Pears should never play for us again.

I had to listen to the SKY commentator introduce a Wigan substitute as "You may remember the great goal he scored against Blackburn last season in the FA Cup" the other day.

After throwing two into the back of his own net, Pears was so out of position for that strike that I could have scored it. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Pears should never play for us again.

I had to listen to the SKY commentator introduce a Wigan substitute as "You may remember the great goal he scored against Blackburn last season in the FA Cup" the other day.

After throwing two into the back of his own net, Pears was so out of position for that strike that I could have scored it. 

Up there with the worst keeper's performance I've ever seen from a Rovers player. Woeful.

If we're not willing to play him in a game like this though, we might as well not have him at all though. It doesn't look like we're after another one, so I think he'll probably play. At least it can't be as bad as last time!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Up there with the worst keeper's performance I've ever seen from a Rovers player. Woeful.

At least it can't be as bad as last time!

Why oh why have you said this that's really tempting fate!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AspRover said:

I pretty much want us to line up with two Whartons and a Morton just for the commentary. Are there any Hortons or Nortons we can sign? 

Brooke Norton-Cuffy is a decent RWB talent available on a loan but that's about it. 

Pears has to play. I get all the arguments not to, but as our 2nd keeper he needs minutes in case Kaminski gets injured or suspended. He must be able to perform capably v the likes of Hartlepool...

JRC right back, Edun LB, Phillips & Scott W as CBs; not many alternatives really in those areas.

Garrett, Morton & A Wharton as CMs, Dack as a roaming 10 with Markanday & Vale up top. Quite short & narrow, but Markanday & Vale have enough pace to stretch the opposition for Dack to fill in the hole.

That means a mainly experienced bench, with gaps for a couple of others like Butterworth, Burns etc. 

• Like 1

Hope we finally start taking the Cow Cup seriously. Though, i would not risk Ayala (in case of injuries), Kaminski (in case of Pears), and BBD (potential transfer, form, we need him). Aside from that, id go with whatever the manager feels.

• Like 1

JDT should see highlights of last years cup-tie against Wigan as required viewing.

I honestly dont think Pears is even League II standard......Hilton has to start for me because if Kaminski plays and gets injured weve got major problems. Not only Ayala,but Kaminski, Travis, Brereton, Hedges & Brittain cant be risked for me. The squad is way too threadbare to take dangerous chances with any of these. So for me:- Hilton -JRC, Phillips, Wharton(S), Edun-Buckley, Morton, Wharton(A)- Markanday, Vale, Dack. Subs:Pears, Harlock, Annesley, Garrett, Dolan, Leonard, Smodzics/Gallagher.

Harlepool sit 20th in League II and got spanked 4-0 by Walsall in their opening fixture so the above should(?) be strong enough to see us through.................   famous last words 

3 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

Pears has to play. I get all the arguments not to, but as our 2nd keeper he needs minutes in case Kaminski gets injured or suspended. He must be able to perform capably v the likes of Hartlepool...

JRC right back, Edun LB, Phillips & Scott W as CBs; not many alternatives really in those areas.

Garrett, Morton & A Wharton as CMs, Dack as a roaming 10 with Markanday & Vale up top. Quite short & narrow, but Markanday & Vale have enough pace to stretch the opposition for Dack to fill in the hole.

That means a mainly experienced bench, with gaps for a couple of others like Butterworth, Burns etc. 

why Pears, Hilton is a better keeper. JRC should be farther up the park ala Hedges position. Leonard should be on the bench to replace Vale.

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, Atko's Engine said:

We thought that before we played Wigan (then league one) last season and that didn’t turn out as we hoped!