BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Hartlepool Utd (h) - Carabao Cup, 10/8/22

9 hours ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Merc I noted in the Swansea thread you said you were opening a nice bottle of red to celebrate.. Did you have anything on that game?

I did but not a Rovers' win!  Felt more strongly there would be goals rather than Rovers winning so went for >2.5 goals.  The 'nice red' was mainly to celebrate the win - so nice to have a 'feel good' factor back; the winning bet was the icing on the cake! 

• Like 3

Plenty of Championship clubs out already to lower league clubs. In fact the only ones who have made it through so far have done so by knocking out other second-tier sides. 

This will be a big banana skin with all the changes that we'll be making. Hopefully the incoming Dack, Markanday, Dolan and Vale will be hungry to take their chance and that will see us through.

0-2 Rovers. 

Great opportunity for the likes of Markanday and Phillips to stake their claim, and also fancy Jack Vale for a game to get him off the mark for the season. Big night too for Dack - he's obviously chomping at the bit to play and hope he gives JDT something to ponder.

3-1 Rovers for me.

Edited by smiller14

4 minutes ago, benhben said:

Interesting to see how Markanday gets on. Not really had chance to see him so far. If he turns out to be decent our forward options other than a proper CF dont look too bad. 

Along with Dack, this is the main think I'm looking out for tonight. I don't think Tomasson had much of an option but to leave him out of the squad vs Swansea, but I'd really like him to kick start his career here seeing as he didn't get the chance last season.

If he looks like he has something to offer, all of a sudden we seem to have a really decent amount of depth at that area of the pitch.

The results yesterday were a madness

This is definitely a banana skin

You have to think bringing in the likes of Morton and Dack as a second string team means we have enough quality, despite the talk of lack of depth

Pears will be the big downfall here. He can drop clangers that just suck the morale out of the team

I would go with

Kaminski

JRC Phillips Wharton Edun

Morton Wharton (say that again)

Markanday Dack Dolan

Vale

That should have enough quality to see off this team

• Like 1

Pears is a must play, hopefully JDT will see just how bad he his without us losing the game. He can then get him shipped out and bring someone in who can push Kaminsky. I wouldn't want to see Pears between the sticks in a championship game again unless he’s on the opposing team.

Edited by pomster
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, pomster said:

Piers is a must play, hopefully JDT will see just how bad he his without us losing the game. He can then get him shipped out and bring someone in who can push Kaminsky. I wouldn't want to see Piers between the sticks in a championship game again unless he’s on the opposing team.

Id rather have Piers Morgan

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

I did but not a Rovers' win!  Felt more strongly there would be goals rather than Rovers winning so went for >2.5 goals.  The 'nice red' was mainly to celebrate the win - so nice to have a 'feel good' factor back; the winning bet was the icing on the cake! 

Haha! Interesting that you say this game is a license to print money, the bookmakers seem to agree with you.. Rovers were 1.40 a few days ago when you were encouraging us to lump on. We're 1.22 now. H'pool have gone out to 12 from 8 (apologies I live in Nz now and have gone fully decimal with odds!)

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

A workmate of mine was a big odds on better. He backed France to beat Senegal in the opening match of one World Cup. I think France were about 10 to 1 on to win, they were playing at home. He put over £600 on them, a lot of dosh back in the day. Senegal won 1-0. He wasn’t a happy bunny that day.

Anybody who remembers the best Rovers team I ever saw lose 5-1 at home to Workington in this competition would never back us to win in any game.

Nearest we've got to a humiliation like that since is probably an FA Cup match under Hughesy where we (PL) lost 4-1 to Coventry City (Champ) courtesy of the Maltese Miniscule Machine Michael Mifsud.

1 hour ago, TheKitGuy said:

Probably been asked, but is this an iFollow game? Working away so will be only way of watching. Cheers

Not sure footage is being broadcast anywhere in the world tbh

Cant find a thing via my usual sources

15 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Nearest we've got to a humiliation like that since is probably an FA Cup match under Hughesy where we (PL) lost 4-1 to Coventry City (Champ) courtesy of the Maltese Miniscule Machine Michael Mifsud.

We've had a poor run against Cov over the years, but that sticks out as such an awful game. Treacy and Rigters in particular were absolutely appalling.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheKitGuy said:

Are you shocked by that at all? 

Not now, but it was a real disappointment at the time. Treacy was getting big plaudits in the youth team (the new Duff!?) and Sparky seemed to do no wrong in picking up quality strikers for next to nothing, so there were some hope that Rigters would be the next in line. 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

The results yesterday were a madness

This is definitely a banana skin

You have to think bringing in the likes of Morton and Dack as a second string team means we have enough quality, despite the talk of lack of depth

Pears will be the big downfall here. He can drop clangers that just suck the morale out of the team

I would go with

Kaminski

JRC Phillips Wharton Edun

Morton Wharton (say that again)

Markanday Dack Dolan

Vale

That should have enough quality to see off this team

Yes you’re right about having no confidence in your keeper. Nothing is more demoralising for an outfield player than seeing your keeper throw one in.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

It will be a mistake, I fear, to make too many changes. It's rarely worked for us. That said, our cup record generally is poor. I think we need Travis, Brereton and a few others to start and help the debutants and newcomers. The more I hear about Liverpool's current midfield 'crisis', it makes me question how ready Morton is to make an impact, but we definitely needed someone, he has played for Liverpool and he should get his chance - but with someone experienced alongside him. 

And, we might have little choice, remembering the farce of Clarkson being the constant unused sub, which could, without, I admit, any further evidence, point to contractual obligations/incentives to play or include Morton. 

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ruaney said:

We'll definitely concede if Pears starts in net.

He’s kept clean sheets and had good performances in the Championship for both us and Boro.

He had an unbelievably bad game against Wigan last season - as in, I’d have legitimately done better - but one game defines the rest of his career?

• Like 1