BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Reading (a) - 17/8/22 - Mark 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Well you don't surprise me. How can you pretend to be non-biased about it then? And if you've seen him live more than 5 times in the past twelve months then I definitely question allegiances!

Allegiances to who?  Friend or Bucko?

Check the Lennie thread mate, forgotten more about Rovers than you'll ever know.

One thing I did take from watching the game last night, and the previous league games, in my opinion, Dack needs to be playing in any game where we are likely to have more of the ball. He might not be able to get about and chase down as much as Sammie but so far, Dack still looks like a far superior footballer. His speed of thought and ability to play one or two touch, as well as hold onto the ball when needed, puts him ahead of the pack in our attacking options. I do worry that maybe the others, bar Hedges, aren't quite on the same wavelength as him when it comes to reading the game in an attacking sense. Last night he sometimes looked to be a step ahead of the others and they didn't read his intentions which made some of his passes look wasteful. He also makes some fantastic runs that seem to go unnoticed and he isn't found.

Just an opinion as I said, but so far Sammie has done little to prove that he offers more than Dack does, long season ahead and I'm sure Sammie will prove his worth, but for me, for now, Dack should be starting and running his knackers off until he is spent and then Sammie brought on to replace him.

• Like 2

Found myself sitting next to Tayo Edun's family last night and had a chat with his dad - a very nice chap

Says his favourite position is left midfield which is where he played in England's Under-19 European championship winning team  

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 7

• Backroom

I would argue that in any scenario where we have more of the ball, we need both Hedges and Dack playing in order to feed Breo and Gally. They would be my 'attacking 4'.

My midfield 2 would be Travis and Buckley, as Hedges and Dack will find those spaces into which Buckley can pass from deep.

Where we have less of the ball is where we would need more roaming and running, and I'd perhaps sub in Dolan and Szmodics for Gally and Dack/Hedges.

My midfield 2 would be Travis and Morton, in order to keep a firmer lid on the game and keep it ticking over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Found myself sitting next to Tayo Edun's family last night and had a chat with his dad - a very nice chap

Says his favourite position is left midfield which is where he played in England's Under-19 European championship winning team  

He played there at Blackpool last season and he was really impressive. 

Dack has to start Saturday for me. Szmodics worked his arse off the last two games but couldn't get into it.

Whilst we're struggling to hold on to the ball we need players on the pitch who can create moments of magic from nowhere and there's nobody better in the 72 than Dack at that. And if a ball drops in the box I still would have it falling to him, even over Brereton. 

Brereton has it, Dack has it, Gallagher to an extent has it in that whenever he doesn't have to think, he seems to finish anything.

Dolan/Vale simply don't offer anything other than a body running round the pitch.

Edited by Mellor Rover

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

Broughton has to start earning his money.

Has Gus Williams started work for us yet? He's the new Head of Recruitment. Broughton is Director of Football.

Gus was announced on 22nd July and was due to start "next month".

On 16/08/2022 at 13:01, roversfan99 said:

Of course, but I think fixture coincidences like this tend to happen, either way I doubt a squad for whom most played few if any of those games will be weighed down by our poor recent record.

Still don't think it's a hoodoo? Certainly is for me - 4 games and 4 defeats

Vale has been thrown into it but i think he's one who needs easing in rather than the deep end first.

The stats men might say he makes more short runs than Gallagher or whatever but it's having no impact and he carries no goal threat.

Early days obviously but he seems no better than Dolan when TM persisted with him in a similar position.  If your'e going to throw anyone in there it might as well be Dack, might not close down as much but a loose ball or half a chance he'll be on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazza said:

Has Gus Williams started work for us yet? He's the new Head of Recruitment. Broughton is Director of Football.

Gus was announced on 22nd July and was due to start "next month".

I'm not sure but in the usual fanfare following his appointment I thought the article said he had to work a notice period with the FAW.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

1,200 - cracking turnout for a midweek down there.

I just want to backup Mattyblue here, what a tremendous effort on Wednesday night early in the season.

Tremendous support, fans that actually walk the walk, super stuff.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

Aside from everything.... 

I just want to say fair play and well done to Paul Ince, he outsmarted us and it looks like reading are going to have decent season if last night was anything to go by. 

I was actually a bit gutted it turned out to be a pretty poor appointment when he signed for us, put a lot of that down to him not being experienced enough, joining at a time when we where lodong our best players and weren't getting any real money to replace them and I also think the backroom staff he brought in(archie bloody knox!) where a real backwards step after the brilliant coaching team Hughes had. 

He's a player i liked a lot and i think he doesn't get the credit he deserves, people talk about Kean, Cantona, giggs... A lot from the early/mid 90s united team but Ince was just as good at the time. Also always did well in the England shirt

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Aside from everything.... 

I just want to say fair play and well done to Paul Ince, he outsmarted us and it looks like reading are going to have decent season if last night was anything to go by. 

I was actually a bit gutted it turned out to be a pretty poor appointment when he signed for us, put a lot of that down to him not being experienced enough, joining at a time when we where lodong our best players and weren't getting any real money to replace them and I also think the backroom staff he brought in(archie bloody knox!) where a real backwards step after the brilliant coaching team Hughes had. 

He's a player i liked a lot and i think he doesn't get the credit he deserves, people talk about Kean, Cantona, giggs... A lot from the early/mid 90s united team but Ince was just as good at the time. Also always did well in the England shirt

His overall managerial career suggests that he isnt

Didnt he spend £4m on Vince Grella and sign his old mates Andrews and Fowler?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He signed 5 during his time here. 

Grella and Andrews for fees, Fowler on a free and 2 loans in Simpson and Villanueva

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Grella was real quality, just turned out to be a total injury crock 

Fowler was only on a free short term contract i think, so why not🤷‍♂️

Andrews wasn't my cup of tea but a lot of people rated him, just not prem standard though

Either way I did say his time with us was terrible! 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

Ince i had high hopes for and could see the logic in going for him but the reality was starkly different.

His recruitment Robinson aside was very poor no bones about that and his management methods were lower league to say the least.  The guy blew his big chance here and for once in regards to Rovers there was no one to blame but himself, good to see he seems to have finally grown into it at Reading for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Andrews wasn't my cup of tea but a lot of people rated him, just not prem standard though

Who rated him?

Only asking as maybe we can help them to find appropriate psychiatric care.

• Like 1