BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Carabao Cup - next round, moving on - draw.

If we repeat the first 23 games and lose another 10 before the end of the season and play the same way and have complete no-shows in a few games we will still end up with 78 points and a play-off spot, which will by BY FAR our best league effort since Allardyce's days as manager.

We might not of course, none of us can predict the future yet some seemingly want to blame JDT for a decline that hasn't happened yet.

Number of times I and others accused Dyche and the dingles of being lucky as they edged teams out not playing well. All the talk of 'style' is the sort of stuff Mowbray used to try to get credit for whilst we plodded along in midtable. Results results results.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Crozzy said:

I heard Hedges shouting at the bench for some electrolyte gel for Philips. Philips came over for that and a bottle of something shortly after so I’m guessing maybe he was low on energy? Came off about 5 mins later 

17 year old athlete for a club with our set-up and he can’t get through 90 minutes without some glucose shot. 

Shambles if true  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Interesting, isn't it. I've never known a season like it. We are third in the table, yet so many of us are uneasy, frustrated, unconvinced etc

I think we have won 13 games and lost 10 in the league . 10 defeats is a lot and so may of them have involved complete no shows...The disgraceful derby performances merely add salt to the wounds.. And so many goals are gifted to the opposition too.

So, in our house-like this message board,- it is a repeated exchange-That was a shite performance v We are third in the table.

My response is that both are true, but I am not criticising anyone, who is frustrated and dissatisfied.

It’s exactly that - mega variance. I don’t think anybody has won more than us, but only 5 teams have lost more (or something like that).

A sample of 23 games is small (in the grand scheme of simulating a season) and variance either way could have us even higher or down at the bottom….it’s just that our eyes, all the stats and anybody paying attention can see we’re more likely to regress to the latter. 

You always see teams like this up there. Reading were in the playoffs one year with a negative goal difference I think. Huddersfield similar the year they got promoted  

I’d loving nothing more than us to continue to blag our way to the top 6, get promoted and milk the cash cow for at least year, so here’s hoping!

16 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Football is a results business and we are sitting third. It isn’t a ‘but, but’, it’s the whole point of professional sport.

When do we judge the position we’re in though, after 1 game, 5 games? 23 games? End of season? 
We could have said ‘we’re sat in X position’ multiple times over the years but it doesn’t mean anything. 
I’m willing to give a bit of time and patience (Jesus the last bloke got enough!), but I’m yet to be convinced with anything he’s said about our style, with any in game decisions, or with any quality on show. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, superniko said:

17 year old athlete for a club with our set-up and he can’t get through 90 minutes without some glucose shot. 

Shambles if true  

He was ran a lot today in fairness 

Bloody hell, I remember some games I had at 18-25 where my legs weren’t working at the end of it! 
I wouldn’t read too much into it. Can happen to the best of players. 17 is young to be running after seniors constantly 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, superniko said:

Shambles if true  

24/7 athletes these days and when they aren't on the grass a lot of them will be in the gym, even at home.  That's how they are brought up through academies and all this stuff they shove down is just par for the course.

No doubt their bodies end up craving it.

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Scott Wharton was a liability at times last season, getting caught in possession or hitting stupid passes, but Kaminski baled him out most times. He now seems to have added Lenihan’s role of going for challenges where he’s never going to get the ball. Deserves dropping.

He had Van Hecke last season as well who covered his arse and others an awful lot but i think by and large hes been poor this season. Tonight he's out there as one of the senior pros to lead by example but he was diabolical and it was individual errors not Forest being so much better.

Just doesn't seem switched on at all at times.

Pears by contrast was excellent there could be a keeper in there yet.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TruRover said:

Completely disagree. 

Ask any of the 2000/3000 fans who went down to West Ham on a cold Wednesday night. A night that will live long in the memory. 

As one of those fans, I'll bet two contributory factors were: i) seeing Rovers on a ground where they've never played before; ii) the price of the tickets (£10 for adults; £1 for youngsters, if memory serves). Even if £9.00 - nine quid!! 😦 -for admittedly the largest hot dog I've ever seen was a brutal reminder of "London prices"!

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

Hes got most of these points through luck rather than design 

Bit unfair that. There have been times this season that we've shown resilience unseen in over in a decade, hence why we've won the same amount of games as the top two. If it's luck then wouldn't we have seen a bit of it under previous managers?

Some massive over reactions to this game when it was clear to anyone from seeing the team selection that we'd lose, and we were never going to win the cup anyway. What does he do? Play a stronger team then a weaker one against Sunderland?

The big positive I'll take from it is that it's now more likely that Hirst and Mola will be sent packing in January.

Edited by booth
  • Like 2

Couldn't make the game tonight, due to work commitments, would have liked to have gone, and very disappointed that we seemingly treated the game as being such a low priority having done so well to get to this stage in the first place!

That said think some of the criticism of JDT is a bit OTT, the other fella spent five years and spunked away countless millions of pounds in transfer fees, loan fees and wages getting us precisely nowhere before leaving us with half a starting X1 by the time he left so I think the current incumbent deserves a bit more time before the latest "project" is automatically deemed a failure.

We need a win against Sunderland though to justify the eleven changes last night, a defeat and it will be four extremely bad results out of five either side of the WC break.

• Like 4

No game till next Monday, should have played a better attack.

Can't remember who was on here a couple of days ago saying Mola is up to LWB/LB needs to give their head a wobble.  Sadly, the lad isn't up to this level and should be sent back....same for Dave's lad.

Markandy is just too small

Archer and Joe Geldhardt on loan please.

The problem now is that one or two crazy suggestions for the managers head will now be misinterpreted as a general narraritive.

We could have made 3 or 4 changes to freshen things up whilst keeping things competitive witbout going quite so weak tonight. Tomasson is not alone in treating the cups as an inconvenience as he did tonight by any means but still very frustrating and an unpleasant watch.

• Like 3

I'm seeing plenty of complaining about fielding a weaker team in the cup...which was the exact approach that got us this far in the cup. Sometimes your fringe players are hungry, less tired than the first draft, and put in a West Ham performance. Sometimes they show why they're the fringe players.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, davulsukur said:

So in the 3 games we've tried to play it out from the back, we've conceded 4 goals in each.

The one we didn't, we won. 

Why on earth would he revert back to it again?

I'm not saying that defenders pretty passing the ball in and around Rovers own box is the way to play, but I don't agree with your point. Not 1 goal that Forest scored came from Rovers messing about playing it out of the back. 

Overall, Rovers were well beaten by a better side. Johnson and Lingard were a class above anything Rovers had.

Other observations;

• Scott Wharton had a nightmare.
  • Pears was excellent
  • Hirst isn't up to it.
  • Subs were odd. 
  • The pitch was in bad shape.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm not saying that defenders pretty passing the ball in and around Rovers own box is the way to play, but I don't agree with your point. Not 1 goal that Forest scored came from Rovers messing about playing it out of the back. 

Overall, Rovers were well beaten by a better side. Johnson and Lingard were a class above anything Rovers had.

Other observations;

• Pears was excellent
  • Hirst isn't up to it.
  • Subs were odd. 

I agree with all of that and would add:

• A second successive 1-4 reverse at home - OUCH!
  • Mola was a waste of a shirt, apart from one crunching tackle he did nothing right
  • We appeared to have no midfield or attacking options the entire game. Young Wharton seemed to most of his work in defence, and if Rovers don't send Hirst back to Leicester in January, something dark is going on behind the scenes.
  • Pears had a decent game but was let down badly by the players in front of him
  • The atmosphere was very odd indeed. Rovers fans were almost comatose and the Forest lot hardly made their substantial presence felt at all. A weird almost surreal experience, not dissimilar to watching Reserves games from the Nuttall St Stand back in the 1980s.
  • The better team won. Football was not the winner on the night!

It's just my two pennorth - I don't think we learned anything of any substance to help with the league campaign, other than we can field a full team of players for a second string outing, but we are desperately short of footballers to wear the famous blue and white!

Merry Christmas to all! I hope your stockings are full, your homes are warm and your families are well fed, not just over the festive period, but into 2023 and beyond too.

Cheers.gif.c5532e78c3f2da2fb33e7ec97a7046af.gif

Edited by Shirley Crabtree Wrestler
Fat, round, susceptible to rose tinted views of Rovers - yep, I'm yet another hopeless case of Roveritis.

7 hours ago, JHRover said:

If we repeat the first 23 games and lose another 10 before the end of the season and play the same way and have complete no-shows in a few games we will still end up with 78 points and a play-off spot, which will by BY FAR our best league effort since Allardyce's days as manager.

We might not of course, none of us can predict the future yet some seemingly want to blame JDT for a decline that hasn't happened yet.

Number of times I and others accused Dyche and the dingles of being lucky as they edged teams out not playing well. All the talk of 'style' is the sort of stuff Mowbray used to try to get credit for whilst we plodded along in midtable. Results results results.

Between now and the end of the season, he really needs to sort out this concede first and lose curse that hangs over us.

Be terrible to go into the plays off with that still hanging over us.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, superniko said:

When do we judge the position we’re in though, after 1 game, 5 games? 23 games? End of season? 
We could have said ‘we’re sat in X position’ multiple times over the years but it doesn’t mean anything. 
I’m willing to give a bit of time and patience (Jesus the last bloke got enough!), but I’m yet to be convinced with anything he’s said about our style, with any in game decisions, or with any quality on show. 

No it doesn’t mean anything in December, we saw that last season. People can judge him whenever they want, but sacking him when 3rd, with our budget, just months into the job and only 1 transfer window? 

Lost the plot totally this place (well a few on here have).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Other observations;

• Pears was excellent
  • Hirst isn't up to it.
  • Subs were odd. 

The pitch was looking ok until they trained on it all last week, will be a mess by the end of winter.