BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Carabao Cup - next round, moving on - draw.

• Backroom
8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

And after that........?

Exactly the point I was making. The idea that JDT has taken us to new heights this season is misguided, we were actually slightly better off at this time last year under Mowbray and look what happened. As far as the team is concerned we still can't recover from going behind, generally play terrible football and signings have been largely poor. Not difficult to see why some folk would be worried despite us being 3rd, although obviously suggesting JDT be sacked at this point is nonsense. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2

• Moderation Lead

I know that after a match is never a place for reasonable debate, as people are in a bad mood owing to the result (and that most definitely includes me!), but if it’s JDT’s fault when we lose, it’s also his fault if he win….

• Like 5

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

Between now and the end of the season, he really needs to sort out this concede first and lose curse that hangs over us.

Be terrible to go into the plays off with that still hanging over us.

I gave this a thumbs-up, not just for the sentiment of the first paragraph, but also for the "plays off", which gladdened the heart of this old pedant!!👋

Incidentally, I also feel, fwiw, that, while yesterday was a "bad day at the office" for some of the more peripheral members of our squad, it was, and by a country mile, the best game Pears has had in a first team sweater.

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

I know that after a match is never a place for reasonable debate, as people are in a bad mood owing to the result (and that most definitely includes me!), but if it’s JDT’s fault when we lose, it’s also his fault if he win….

Yep same argument a few regularly made in defence of TM

He got all the calls right v Norwich and last night on the pitch he's letting a young side learn the ropes as opposed to turning out a stronger side.

We paid the price, end of but it was one of his senior pros who let the side down in a way we wouldn't expect, can't legislate for that.

Obviously v Burnley and the other lot he got the big calls badly wrong so for most the jury remains firmly out.

• Backroom

As roversfan99 said in the other thread, put a poll up and it's highly likely votes to sack JDT would be minimal. There are always going to be outlier opinions, they only gain legitimacy when they're highlighted by others as being more prominent than they are.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DE. said:

As roversfan99 said in the other thread, put a poll up and it's highly likely votes to sack JDT would be minimal. There are always going to be outlier opinions, they only gain legitimacy when they're highlighted by others as being more prominent than they are.

I only recall seeing 2 last night which I put down to understandable post crap trauma.

The false narrative being spread is all a bit sad.

• Like 1

There was notably far less messing at the back last night which was good to see although too often when the wing backs do get space their first thought seems to be pass backwards. Completely counter productive for the wing back idea in the first place in my book.

Forest simply went old school, oh look they are weak on their left and we have a guy who can play like an old school right winger, bingo there you go.

Sometimes it's the simple things that are most effective and that's getting increasingly lost in the stat obsessed develop players first, results second modern game.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, booth said:

Broughton said that but JDT didn't.

I always stand to be corrected!

Think the jury well and truly out on Broughton.

Hyam - an outstanding signing

Brittain - shown flashes of what potentially capable of but looks injury prone

Szmodics - really think Posh saw us coming and took our knickers off

Morton - too inconsistent.  Want to see him do something when it really matters.  Worse still, is he holding Adam Wharton back?

Mola - Has brought nothing to the party

Hirst - I think a disaster.  Could he even cut it at Pleasington on a Sunday morning!?

Also, new long term commitments to both Buckley (who's done virtually feck all since signing) and Travis (who is now looking at least a league out of his depth).

1 maybe 2 out of 8 'good' signings is nowhere near good enough.

Easy to be cynical but Broughton paid feckin good money to do better than that IMO.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The pitch was looking ok until they trained on it all last week, will be a mess by the end of winter.

I mentioned last night that the pitch was looking a bit patchy. And they are training on it again on Christmas Day evening under the lights before they leave for Sunderland.

2 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I always stand to be corrected!

Think the jury well and truly out on Broughton.

Hyam - an outstanding signing

Brittain - shown flashes of what potentially capable of but looks injury prone

Szmodics - really think Posh saw us coming and took our knickers off

Morton - too inconsistent.  Want to see him do something when it really matters.  Worse still, is he holding Adam Wharton back?

Mola - Has brought nothing to the party

Hirst - I think a disaster.  Could he even cut it at Pleasington on a Sunday morning!?

Also, new long term commitments to both Buckley (who's done virtually feck all since signing) and Travis (who is now looking at least a league out of his depth).

1 maybe 2 out of 8 'good' signings is nowhere near good enough.

Easy to be cynical but Broughton paid feckin good money to do better than that IMO.

I've said often that Broughton needs to step up in January. He already made the statement that we weren't doing much business in January but that was early on when he thought he'd signed superstars, so hopefully that has changed.

Clearly defence was the priority but aside from Hyam and Brittain I don't think Tomasson was backed in the Summer. Szmodics wasn't his first choice and I can't see Mola and Hirst being despite what GB said. Any idiot could have seen we've been crying out for a good striker for a while but it wasn't properly addressed. We only have Gallagher and a cursory glance at his scoring record will tell you everything.

21 minutes ago, DE. said:

Think it depends when you do the poll. Five minutes after a defeat vs five days would make all the difference! 😁

• Like 1

Before the season started I said I would be happy with mid table, especially given JDT will be blooding more youngsters which he has and the guys that left over the summer. 

Hes had half a transfer window so far, I think any manager with our budget needs 3-4 transfer windows to get to where he wants.

I have concerns about the team, absolutely I do, but right now JDT is 'punching' there us no doubt about that given the overall holistic picture and facts.

I would have expected / wanted play offs next season, but there are teams with bigger budgets than us so we have to be realistic.

We lose JDT and we bring someone else in, no one is guaranteed of success in the championship.

If we needed further evidence, last night's game showed, to myself at least, that...

Mola and HIrst are beyond terrible. There's no point expending any more time on them.

Szmodics is no where near sufficient quality. All he does is run down dead ends as he's so one footed. A pauper's version of a poor man's Dack.

SWharton is going backwards at a rate of knots. I don't know what's happened there.

AWharton needs to learn that, when it's not going for him, he needs to drop his languid style and roll his sleeves up.

I was pretty disappointed walking off the ground. Forest weren't all that much, I didn't think.

Edited by Wheelton Blue
  • Like 3

Last night was disappointing, it always is when we lose but my misery wasn't anywhere near it was after the demolition derbies when my anger was palpable for a considerable for some time after. I'm over last night already and looking towards Sunderland now. That, in my opinion is far more important than last night.

I didn't attend the game but did listen to the last 70 mins of the game on Radio Lancs. Sounded like Pears made a number of very good saves. I seen the goals and I have to say Scott Wharton was awful for the 1st and 3rd goal. Good header for the goal tho. 

I can't comment on the overall performance of each player. I would have like fewer changes but it was understandable given that the league is the priority for JDT and Rovers. 

Gutted that Dolan got injured last night. 

8 hours ago, Mercer said:

So JDT and Broughton tell us Hirst was our number one striker target and we chased him all summer.

Feck me - says it all.  A sackable offence for both.

Goodnight.

Really a sackable offence. Maybe we need to give Hirst a run of games to see him get match fit and playing the regular. The problem is Gallagher is first choice for the number 9 role. 

24 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Last night was disappointing, it always is when we lose but my misery wasn't anywhere near it was after the demolition derbies when my anger was palpable for a considerable for some time after. I'm over last night already and looking towards Sunderland now. That, in my opinion is far more important than last night.

Same. Looking at the team before the game I really didn't expect to come away with anything. We weren't all that bad, had a good spell ether side of half-time and conceded 2 late goals. But they called the shots for most of the game, Had Dolan got a deserved free their second goal wouldn't have counted but I'n clutching at straws. They were too good for that side we picked.

All good experience for them. Pity we threw Dolan on and he got an injury.

Expecting a different team and a different performance next up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Maybe we need to give Hirst a run of games to see him get match fit and playing the regular. 

Ye, let's stick him in for the promotion run in, good idea Chaddy.🙄

If we can't find better locally we might aswell shut the academy down now.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I didn't attend the game but did listen to the last 70 mins of the game on Radio Lancs. Sounded like Pears made a number of very good saves. I seen the goals and I have to say Scott Wharton was awful for the 1st and 3rd goal. Good header for the goal tho. 

I can't comment on the overall performance of each player. I would have like fewer changes but it was understandable given that the league is the priority for JDT and Rovers. 

Really a sackable offence. Maybe we need to give Hirst a run of games to see him get match fit and playing the regular. The problem is Gallagher is first choice for the number 9 role. 

Pears made at least 3 excellent saves that kept Rovers in the game and he was comfortable throughout, couldn't do anything about the freekick deflection. 

This cup run has allowed him to put the Wigan nightmare behind him plus he's another year on in his development and working with Tommy K in training.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

You didn't miss much, don't think Tomasson was too arsed about winning and Forest could have had 7 or 8.

Hirst is shocking, on what planet would we give him a run of games, what does he offer? He is weak and soft, he can't hold the ball up at all, his touch is shit, he can't win headers, he isn't particularly quick and he doesn't offer a goal threat. Surely with January on the horizon, send him back and get someone who can contribute?

By the way, is Gallagher first choice for the number 9 role? He often plays wider still so we do need a competent striker ASAP.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

how many games do you want to give him!!!!!he`s shown us he`s not up to this level,in fact he`s so far off it he`s a danger to the outcome of a game,like i`ve said before,if you want a basic centre forward just spend 100 grand on someone from the lower league,at least they put themselves about,hirst does`nt do anything,needs to be sent back

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You didn't miss much, don't think Tomasson was too arsed about winning and Forest could have had 7 or 8.

Still would have like to be there watching Rovers even if the result wasn't what we wanted

Hirst is shocking, on what planet would we give him a run of games, what does he offer? He is weak and soft, he can't hold the ball up at all, his touch is shit, he can't win headers, he isn't particularly quick and he doesn't offer a goal threat. Surely with January on the horizon, send him back and get someone who can contribute?

I do think Hirst needs a proper run of games so he can get match fit and match readiness to show whether he can produce or not at this level. He hasn't played much in recent weeks before the international break but given how we are playing I'm not sure he will get the starts I think he needs to produce. 

On sending him back all depends on the loan agreement terms and whether we can send him back or not. 

By the way, is Gallagher first choice for the number 9 role? He often plays wider still so we do need a competent striker ASAP.

I do think Hirst needs a proper run of games so he can get match fit and match readiness to show whether he can produce or not at this level. He hasn't played much in recent weeks before the international break but given how we are playing I'm not sure he will get the starts.