BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup 2022

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A defence with Dier and Maguire in it will likely be a huge weak point against any good forwards, if we did end up against France then Mbappe would be licking his lips. I think you struggle to not be overly biased towards England to the point whereby an injury to a totally different team in a different group instantly is spun back in your head to England. When you watch games in other groups, do you do so purely to watch those 2 teams or simply to weigh up the competition for England?

I never said mbappe wouldn't wipe the floor with our defenders but to say our defence is bad is ridiculous. Walker has also kept mbappe quiet on two occasions 

• Backroom
1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

England have injuries too and have been out of form for some time. There's nothing to suggest that this will be "our year". 

Apart from the fact that our most recent tournaments are our most successful since 1966 and came on the back of low expectation such as yours.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, roverandout said:

I never said mbappe wouldn't wipe the floor with our defenders but to say our defence is bad is ridiculous. Walker has also kept mbappe quiet on two occasions 

It is a clear weakness in the team, Maguire has been shocking for ages and bas been dropped to 4th choice at United and Dier has always been a poor defender IMO.

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It is a clear weakness in the team, Maguire has been shocking for ages and bas been dropped to 4th choice at United and Dier has always been a poor defender IMO.

Dier has had a good season overall.  Maguire has only been shocking for a shocking United team.  As I said he was in the euros team of the tournament last year 

11 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Dier has had a good season overall.  Maguire has only been shocking for a shocking United team.  As I said he was in the euros team of the tournament last year 

Ive always felt that Dier was a poor defender prone to making errors like ve did against Liverpool. Maguire has had 18 months of horrendous form since which cant be ignored and again I dont rate him as a defender, very succeptible to pace in particular. I do think that you could paint any England player in a positive light in your defence.

55 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ive always felt that Dier was a poor defender prone to making errors like ve did against Liverpool. Maguire has had 18 months of horrendous form since which cant be ignored and again I dont rate him as a defender, very succeptible to pace in particular. I do think that you could paint any England player in a positive light in your defence.

I guess we are at an impasse.  

How many recall Qatar beating England 2-1 in  a FIFA World Cup semi-final?

Qatar lost 4-0 to West Germany in the final played at the Sydney Cricket Ground in what was probably the first game Qatar has played a match whilst it rained.

Another useless fact.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

Slight chuckle and shake of the head at the football fixture snobbery. I'm an avid watcher of tournament football and have witnessed many games between top international sides that turned out to be dull and devoid of entertainment, and many games played involving minnows that turned out to be great to watch. As football fans, surely you know it works!

FIFA must be dying for this tournament to be over. People will forget about FIFA for a while once it is, and I suspect nothing will ever change. After all, they're not elected by us, which I think is the only way it could ever clean up its act. Give the power to the people that truly care about the game - the supporters - instead of the few who personally gain money from it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, roverandout said:

So much positivity. France have been on a bad run. Germany too. We will walk all over Iran. Best USA and batter Wales.  Senegal are nothing without mane

Your view of Hungary was probably not good before we played them in the Nations league.I like your optimism but our group wont be a walk in the park,we don't do easy passages at World Cups.

1 hour ago, Darrenbot said:

Your view of Hungary was probably not good before we played them in the Nations league.I like your optimism but our group wont be a walk in the park,we don't do easy passages at World Cups.

I know I'm just being tongue in cheek really 

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The fan experience worsens. A ban on in stadium alcohol apart from hospitality. Expensive fan villages unfinished, plastic tents and no Aircon.

I expect it will get ugly quite soon.

Keep an eye on the activities of the mercenary imported "security".

Plus when the bulk of the Brits get over. You’ve got an irreverent culture (including self-deprecation) colliding with a culture that will execute its own subjects for blasphemy. I can see this going well.

Well I get to watch the England and USA games LIVE.  I did program me DVR cos I am usually working these hours.  I get to watch live cos yesterday I tested positive for COVID.  MAAAAAA. this crap is no fun at.all. Quarantined till Tuesday at least.

Edited by USABlue

16 hours ago, bazza said:

I know the Qatar game tomorrow is on BBC One, KO 4pm but is there an opening ceremony? If so what time does it start?

Yes the opening ceremony is on at 3pm. 

11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Probably, based on long bitter experience. Let's be honest, it was a big surprise when they did. The non-show against an Italy side that subsequently couldn't even qualify for the World Cup was predictable. 

No I wasn't surprised we made the finals of the Euro. 

11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Why do England fans post this sort of stuff when England's history is one of failures and disappointment? Iran have won 17 of their past 21 games, and Wales and the US will be difficult opponents. None of the games will be easy and if England don't play well they will lose

Cos, we believed in our country, players and Southgate to bring the world cup home. I think we are one of 6 teams who I think can win it

yet none of them have our quality players like Kane, Foden, Sterling, Bellingham, Tripper

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Iran have Taremi at Porto but also Azmoun at Leverkusen, Ghoddos at Brentford and Jahanbaksh at Feyeenord who was previously at Brighton. Plus a few other players in more minor European leagues. Probably the weakest team in the group though. I feel like America have some really good young talent.

I agreed that USA have some very good players like Aaronsson, Adams, McKennie, Pulisic and Robinson

10 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Yet Conte has seen Dier as key player in their defence and played in most games. I would still start with Ben White and John Stones but Dier would come into the team if we play back 3. 

• Like 1

Fans split between the ones with their heads in the clouds who think England will win it and the realists who have seen it all before and know that anything involving England sport (football, cricket, rugby etc) will inevitably end in disappointment.

Qatar is a tainted World Cup, it is a stain on football and a shadow of what used to be a great tournament,  and the Fifa leader's ridiculous statement this week has made it worse. I'll watch England struggle as usual but once we go out I won't watch any of the other games

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Fans split between the ones with their heads in the clouds who think England will win it and the realists who have seen it all before and know that anything involving England sport (football, cricket, rugby etc) will inevitably end in disappointment.

Qatar is a tainted World Cup, it is a stain on football and a shadow of what used to be a great tournament,  and the Fifa leader's ridiculous statement this week has made it worse. I'll watch England struggle as usual but once we go out I won't watch any of the other games

Just a week ago some of us were celebrating England winning the T20 Cricket World Cup ! Not much disappointment there.

England struggled so badly in the last football World Cup they got to the semi-final.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Darrenbot said:

i'm betting we'll need a win in the 3rd game to win the group and we'll get a winner in the 70th min,that's is the way we usually do it.

And it's worked so far. France didn't win the world cup playing free flowing football.  They ground out results.  In fact most of their games were by a one goal deficit 

25 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I have no illusions we will win it. But getting to the quarters then if we give France a good fight and lose, I'll be happy.  Why such a pessimist all the time? We have made it deep into the last two tournaments.  I don't see any outstanding teams at this World Cup. On paper France have great depth but they are blighted by injuries to alot of key players.  They could go out in the group stage.  Argentina on a great run but messi apart I see no truly outstanding players In their team. Brazil have weaknesses in their side. We have alot of talent In the squad and I believe this a tournament too soon for some of these young players.  I wouldn’t be amazed if we reached another semi final but realistically with the conditions the quarters is probably our limit...oh and a tactically inept manager